TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tee height

revkev

I know that we had a recent discussion about tee or no on a par three. I'm in the Jack Nicklaus says always so if it's good enough for him club there.

How about with driver? I have been a long tee/High tee guy for some time. But my recent round of lessons has me hitting the center of the club face with just a bit of the ball - about a quarter of it - above the crown rather than half or more. I'm concerned that my AoA is neutral or even negative at this point but I will see when I get on the course if I still feel that way. If I do I will head to a LM to find out spin rate and adjust accordingly.

At any rate what type of tee do you use for driver and how high to you tee it up?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Mine are 2 1/2. The height is generally a quarter ball or less showing above the driver head. For my swing, a high tee equals a pull hook and a low tee equals the fade I want.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Awhile ago I started marking my tees to help keep my ball height constant. I dont know if this really helps but in my mind at least it's one more constant that I don't have to worry about.

To answer your question about height, I like half the ball to be over the driver club if the club head is resting on the ground.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My balls barely looks over the crown.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I don't know how far over the crown my ball is but I tee the ball fairly low. Don't mark the tee but I use my thumb to measure for consistent height.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use the green 4-more-yard tee. Over all length is 4" but I think it's about 2.25-2.5" height. It's pretty high. I used to play with the one shorter but I broke that one in the middle of the round so I tried the taller one. Whatdayaknow? I picked up about 20 yards because of higher launch so I switched.

Driver and fairway woods are the 2 clubs in my bag that I don't usually work on of make any changes. If it ain't broke, you know?

I'm concerned that my AoA is neutral or even negative at this point but I will see when I get on the course if I still feel that way. If I do I will head to a LM to find out spin rate and adjust accordingly.

You could always play the ball a bit father forward in your stance?

I use a 3" tee with the crown of my driver a bit below the equator of the ball. I like it up there nice and high!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I'll say this. Tee box is the most confusing place beside the green for most golfers. I think once you figure it out what you gotta do just keep it and not trying to tweak it. I've not work on my driving since 1998 because it was working out for me. My only concept is to hit the ball at level or slightly on the up swing to launch the ball propely. I've come to accept that it's ok to be short off the tee.

The only variation I'd do on the tee with a driver is the Laura Davies specials. One where she smack the ground with the sand wedge to create the mound and put the ball on top, it's design to play a low straight ball. I don't know the science behind it, but I tried and it works for me. From time to time I'll show it off.

I use the Epoch tees, they last forever and I love the marks on them to help make sure I'm getting consistent tee height. I leave the top line just above the ground.

IMG_0083.JPG

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

golf_tee.jpg

I've been using these since they came out years ago... 2 3/4"

May look like I'm a novice/beginner but I like the fact that every time I tee it up it will be the exact same height.

(of course there are times when I will tee it lower due to weather/wind so I use regular tees for that)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I guess I am the odd man out yet again. Usually I tee the driver about 2" or "Traditional Style" as my late friend Big John used to say. If hitting a 3 wood I do the Laura Davies thing like Rusty does. If hitting the hybrid I do the same. On long irons I tee it up barely off the ground. On a short par 3 if I am hitting a shorter iron and if the grass is good I hit it off the ground especially if it is a short club like a wedge or 9 iron

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I place the ball and tee in  my hand between my index finger and middle finger and use the length of my ring finger as a guide for the height of the ball.  Seems to work well with my Ping G driver.

Jim, the retired GC Superintendent

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

I actually tee up probably lower than most. My comfortable swing with the driver is pretty flush to the ground. Gotta do what works best for you. Try a few heights out at the range

I typically use 2 3/4 tees and generally have about 1/2 the ball above the crown.  That and trying to hit up on it, I can use all the height and launch on shots that I can get.!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have the long plastic tees, forgot the size of them, but I typically tee the ball so that the ball is no higher than the driver. Usually about the same height or ball a little lower.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I have the long plastic tees, forgot the size of them, but I typically tee the ball so that the ball is no higher than the driver. Usually about the same height or ball a little lower.

This is what I do as well. The ball just barely peeks out if you're looking from behind.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Depends on the shot for me.

Driver:

High draw? High tee.

Straight? Mid tee.

Fade? Low... way low.

3 wood:

High draw? About a 4 stack of quarters.

Low bullet cut? Just above the blades of grass. This never gets above head high.

I actually tee up probably lower than most. My comfortable swing with the driver is pretty flush to the ground. Gotta do what works best for you. Try a few heights out at the range

Correct it has to do with one's Angle of Attack

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Depends on the shot for me.

Driver:

High draw? High tee.

Straight? Mid tee.

Fade? Low... way low.

3 wood:

High draw? About a 4 stack of quarters.

Low bullet cut? Just above the blades of grass. This never gets above head high.

Love that low bullet cut--- You are one of the few people besides myself that describe a stinger as a bullet--- We did that when I was growing up--- W also call a bullet draw as a knuckle draw because you have the knuckle of the right hand up and the ball does knuckle over. 

G

I like the epoch tees with the yellow bands and tee it right below the last one.  I have better contact when I sole my driver flat and the ball is no more than 1/2 inch higher that top of the club. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Love that low bullet cut--- You are one of the few people besides myself that describe a stinger as a bullet--- We did that when I was growing up--- W also call a bullet draw as a knuckle draw because you have the knuckle of the right hand up and the ball does knuckle over.

I could never hit a draw as a kid. I could hit every type of fade you could want, high, low, running cut. But my favorite were the ones that could knock an apple off a guys head at 100 yards away and keep at that height for another 100 then roll for days.

Now, it is all starting to make sense and I am having fun crafting all sorts of shots, left, right, high, low.... golf is an amazing game. Feel like I'm starting all over, but with skill this time. I'll be sure to call my low draw a low knuckle for you BIG STU, I like the sounds of that.

- Alan

I carry both short and long tees, but for all of my woods driver and 3 I tee up just over a third of the ball above the crown of the club for standard shots.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I use the G3 Flex head tees as I've posted before. I use the 175 for driver, the 100 for the fairways and the ns for the irons if I can't find a broken tee.

size-chart.jpg?v=1472227524

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I use Pride Professional tee's 3 1/4" white with the blue band.. 

I set the tee to the top of the blue band, about 1/2 the ball is about the crown of the driver.. otherwise everything else is just above ground level.. 3-wood to wedges.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I stick with the cheap wooden ones, simply because I don't have to worry about losing them as they're inexpensive. I tee my driver pretty low, nothing above the crown, so I can sometimes just pick up a broken one from the tee box.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

I'm usually seeing about half the ball at address and my ball is right at my instep. I just adjusted my tee height this season and it's worked out great for me. I follow this Canadian instructor (shkeengolf) on Instagram and he's the reason that I bumped up my tee and bumped forward my ball in my stance

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

• 10 months later...

I'm glad to see that some others here like to tee it low and let it go. I used to do this back in the day in high school with the old TM Tour Burner because it encouraged a squeeze fade when my tendency was to hook the ball off the planet.

Flash forward 30 years (30 years?) and I've been following the conventional wisdom with having the equator of the ball right at the top of the crown. With the new F8 driver, that has led to some really strange looking tee balls for me. So I got on the Trackman and experimented with only teeing it up an inch or so. The findings were interesting.

https://goo.gl/GWpRnE

Driver is the F8 set at 10.5*. 2 Wood is the F8 set at 11.5* (since it practically is a 2 wood). Both readings are much better than what I usually get from teeing the ball up higher. It doesn't make sense to me, but these numbers are much better than what I can get with a higher tee. I can't wait to take this out to the course.

3 Wood and 4 Wood are both the fairway wood. 3 Wood is set at 14.5* and 4 Wood is set at 13.5* (I can't figure out any other way to distinguish between groups of shots with the same club on Trackman; if anyone knows, please let me know).

Have fun watching the videos. If the camera adds 10 pounds, there must be 4 cameras on me  :D 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I keep going back and forth between a 4” tee and a 2.75” tee. My driver face is very deep, so when I look down at address, because I come-up on the ball pretty good, I need to see some height so I don't get the thought of grounding the club on the downswing. I go back and forth between the two. When I use the shorter tee, it gets into the ground just enough for it to stay standing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Archived