TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's your favorite hole on your home course?

JFitzroy

What is your favorite hole on your home course?  This  is mine.  #14 at the Presidents Golf Course just south of Boston.  It's a 385 yd par four dogleg left.  Pond on the right, bunkering along the left side with high fescue left of the bunkers.  The green has some sever contours along the left side and is well guarded with bunkers and mounding.

view 14.jpg

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

IMG_4182.PNG

#7 at Cedar Point Golf Club in Patuxent River, MD

This 495y Par 5 is a great slump buster. If you can carry the ball 275y off the tee, it'll roll down the hill into a valley leaving 175y in to the green. The second shot is a reasonably tough one to a raised green with 3 distinct tiers but you are handsomely rewarded with good ball striking.

It's not as picturesque as some of the other holes on the course but I love it because I always play it well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

First of all what a home course. Wow!

15th 340yards. Short, narrow, tree, street, houses, rough. Pick your poison. I love it. I usually start my ball right up against the trees and draw it to the end of the fairway about 280. For some reason this ends up being my longest driving hole on the course.

IMG_0618_zpshaypohck.png

IMG_0617_zps1tflrv1x.png

First of all what a home course. Wow!

15th 340yards. Short, narrow, tree, street, houses, rough. Pick your poison. I love it. I usually start my ball right up against the trees and draw it to the end of the fairway about 280. For some reason this ends up being my longest driving hole on the course.

IMG_0618_zpshaypohck.png

IMG_0617_zps1tflrv1x.png

Is that a little palm in the middle of the fairway?

As a fader, I shudder looking at that tight draw required.

Is that a little palm in the middle of the fairway?

As a fader, I shudder looking at that tight draw required.

Ha, you are not the first. There's no room for a fader. As for that little palm tree, she and I got to know each other intimately a few times. Lol.

#18 at Inwood CC. 445 yard par 4 from the tips with water in front and a brutal green. Left of the fairway is fescue and even a replica of the Swilkan Bridge that dates to the courses founding in the early 1900's. Great hole to finish on in match play.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

19th for me at the Bayou.

It's a bit tricky. You come off of 18 (which resembles 18 at TPC Sawgrass) totally beaten up from your round. The guys clean your clubs and put them away while you slowly ascend the steps. If Rob is on the drinks are at a table waiting for you when you arrive.

(Hey someone had to do it)

In all seriousness I don't have a favorite hole at my club. There are 18 really good ones. All of them can bite you depending on wind direction and pin placement.

Good thread

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

New "home" course is Hole #15, a short Par 4 275 - 325 yards that is protected from the wind, and slightly downhill and reachable. Driven it a few times, never an eagle yet. I will get one, I will own that hole.

I don't have a picture that does the hole justice but #14 at my "home" club, Blue Ridge Country Club.  The hole plays slightly over 500 yards and has a par of 5.

I normally am not a fan of blind shots but there is something about this one I can't put a finger on.  The first 200 yards from the tee box is about a 30 foot climb uphill that immediately reverses downhill to a landing area that sits about 20 feet below the level of the tee box.  Very interesting and unique tee shot and landing area.  

A tee shot hit on the proper (right) side of the fairway will run out 100 yards with ease, sometimes more.  This will give you a good look at the green from ~175 yards out while looking away from a large pond all down the right side of the green.  Hit the ball on the wrong (left) side of the fairway, you get no roll-out and you will be hitting into the green from well over 200 yards out while facing a large pond, which means an almost certain layup.  

But don't go too far right off the tee.  The entire right side of the hole from tee to greenside pond is heavily wooded OB. 

The 3rd at Curlewis Golf Club. A short par four at 308m (340yd) Drivable if the wind is right, or you hit it long. Out of bounds left, steep slope on the right. The green slopes front to back, making front pins extremely tough. Can be an easy birdie, or an easy bogey.

https://curlewisgolf.com.au/pages/third

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I like most of them (all but 2 really) but my favorite hole at my home course is #9.  It's a decent Par 5 and depending on the wind can be reached in 2 with a good drive.  Long fescue all down the left side and lots of mounds.  The right side has 2 waste bunkers in prime driver landing distance.  The only bail out near the green is right, but it also could bring the cart path in to play.  From about May - Aug you can't find a ball in the fescue so anything left is a re-tee and around the green anything short or long is pretty much lost.

There are 2 main reasons it's my favorite.  It's a great risk/reward hole without being an automatic "everyone can get home in 2" par 5.  The other big reason is we have a standing bet in our groups.  If anything after your 2nd shot goes in the water you owe the group a round of drinks at the turn.  So no penalty if you go for it in 2 and dunk it, but after that anything wet buys drinks.  And yes I've had to buy a round before, but I've gotten far more than I've bought :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

attachicon.gifIMG_0414.JPG

It's a bit tricky. You come off of 18 (which resembles 18 at TPC Sawgrass) totally beaten up from your round. The guys clean your clubs and put them away while you slowly ascend the steps. If Rob is on the drinks are at a table waiting for you when you arrive.

In all seriousness I don't have a favorite hole at my club. There are 18 really good ones. All of them can bite you depending on wind direction and pin placement.

Good thread

Sister course always leaves me feeling beaten. Just no room for error . . . At all!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

... Found this image online but it is the best I could do. Par 5 finishing hole that is the very definition of Risk - Reward. There is water on the other side of the fairway that is at about a 35* angle so a gentle draw is the perfect shot. But draw a little too much and you are in the water. Don't draw enough and you are in the water on the other side. A straight shot works too but it is a very narrow landing area as the water on the other side will suck up a good drive unless you take the perfect angle. A 510yd hole is reduced to somewhere around 190-150 second shot with a perfect drive. The water you see comes back around to guard the front of the green with rocks right up to the fringe. I have had more than a few eagles and an equal amount of bogies depending on the wind and the quality of my tee shot.

... If you are protecting a score or do not have the ability to carry your tee shot 220 or so, a hybrid or driving iron to the fat part of the fairway to the right of the water on the other side leaves a mid/long iron lay up to a 100yd or so 3rd shot. Birdie is possible but the water comes into play on every shot and if it is really windy, as it often is, even these 3 shots are not gimmies. 

...  And it is usually in your head well before arriving to play it. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

This is the 16th hole at my club, risk reward par 4. What's hard to see in this rendering is the slope of the fairway from right to left towards that water, the green also has a severe saddle in it with the back 15 feet being 3 to 4 feet above the lower section.

If the pin is in front and you can play a draw sometimes you can reach the green, if the pin is back you are better off taking a hybrid off the tee for position.

IMG_0090.PNG

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Ha, you are not the first. There's no room for a fader. As for that little palm tree, she and I got to know each other intimately a few times. Lol.

As a lefty that's a bit scary.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

... Found this image online but it is the best I could do. Par 5 finishing hole that is the very definition of Risk - Reward. There is water on the other side of the fairway that is at about a 35* angle so a gentle draw is the perfect shot. But draw a little too much and you are in the water. Don't draw enough and you are in the water on the other side. A straight shot works too but it is a very narrow landing area as the water on the other side will suck up a good drive unless you take the perfect angle. A 510yd hole is reduced to somewhere around 190-150 second shot with a perfect drive. The water you see comes back around to guard the front of the green with rocks right up to the fringe. I have had more than a few eagles and an equal amount of bogies depending on the wind and the quality of my tee shot.

... If you are protecting a score or do not have the ability to carry your tee shot 220 or so, a hybrid or driving iron to the fat part of the fairway to the right of the water on the other side leaves a mid/long iron lay up to a 100yd or so 3rd shot. Birdie is possible but the water comes into play on every shot and if it is really windy, as it often is, even these 3 shots are not gimmies.

... And it is usually in your head well before arriving to play it.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's beautiful, but I'd just head to the drop zone and not donate a ball to the lake

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

As a lefty that's a bit scary.

After a few rounds and a few underwear change. It has become my favorite holes. Fits my eyes perfectly and the visualization is even better.

From the blue I'd tee it from the left side so the ball shooting out hugging the left trees and out kissing right tee and falls in the middle rolling to the edge of the fairway. Just awesome.

It's beautiful, but I'd just head to the drop zone and not donate a ball to the lake

... LOL well played, a man has to know his limitations. :) When they designed the hole and first opened there was no "bail out fairway" and you still had about a 170 yd carry to the end of the fairway over the shortest part of the lake. But since then after many justifiable complaints since this is a course in a retirement community, they built a big chuck of fairway so you don't have to go over water off the tee. 

This is the 16th hole at my club, risk reward par 4. What's hard to see in this rendering is the slope of the fairway from right to left towards that water, the green also has a severe saddle in it with the back 15 feet being 3 to 4 feet above the lower section.

If the pin is in front and you can play a draw sometimes you can reach the green, if the pin is back you are better off taking a hybrid off the tee for position.

attachicon.gifIMG_0090.PNG

IMG_4186.GIF

Just for my own SA. Did you get this 3d model off the course's website or a golf GPS app? If it's an app, I must know which one.

... Played today and was 4 under on the back coming into this hole. Hit a safe shot and take eagle out of play but also take bogie out of play? Or go for it and have a chance at eagle and bring bogie into play? I chose that later and pulled my tee shot just enough to hit the side of the slope and bounce in the water. The drop is way above your feet so a wedge lay up is the play leaving another wedge into the green. Hit it to 15 feet and missed the putt for a bogie. If I had a chance to go back and do it over ... I would make the same decision LOL. I figure at 64 if I can reach in 2 I should take that chance until I no longer have the distance off the tee to give myself a shot. 

... Played today and was 4 under on the back coming into this hole. Hit a safe shot and take eagle out of play but also take bogie out of play? Or go for it and have a chance at eagle and bring bogie into play? I chose that later and pulled my tee shot just enough to hit the side of the slope and bounce in the water. The drop is way above your feet so a wedge lay up is the play leaving another wedge into the green. Hit it to 15 feet and missed the putt for a bogie. If I had a chance to go back and do it over ... I would make the same decision LOL. I figure at 64 if I can reach in 2 I should take that chance until I no longer have the distance off the tee to give myself a shot.

Agreed, I'm 70 and definitely no longer have the distance. So "go for it" while u can.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

attachicon.gifIMG_0414.JPG

Good thread

i am with you. The university of Georgia GC had 18 great RTJ holes. I can't really pick a favorite. Part of the love is the layout. There are really no to succeeding holes that are the same. Great course! IMG_0696.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0693.JPGIMG_0690.JPG

Archived