TESTERS WANTED! ×

Favorite Golf Publication?

I've done a few free tours of "Golf" and "Golfer's Digest" and was curious what material other spies like to read up on (besides this glorious site of course). The problem I had with both of those magazines is they started to feel like simple marketing and not really golf material.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I like golfweek.  Mostly tour coverage with very few tips and equipment reviews.  I agree with your assessment of golf and golf digest which is why I am just letting those expire.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I used to enjoy the digest but agree that it's all marketing materials now. Since I'm old and cranky I like bitching about all of their gold, silver, and best of course lists.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I like golfweek.  Mostly tour coverage with very few tips and equipment reviews.  I agree with your assessment of golf and golf digest which is why I am just letting those expire.  

Me too...

Golfweek is in a class by itself. In addition to Pro Tour stuff they cover a lot of college and other Amature events. And...none of the hokey instruction crap.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've done a few free tours of "Golf" and "Golfer's Digest" and was curious what material other spies like to read up on (besides this glorious site of course). The problem I had with both of those magazines is they started to feel like simple marketing and not really golf material.

At one time I had Golf Mag., Golf Digest & Golf Week. I have a year left on Golf Mag. and probably will not renew. I get plenty of sales/marketing from a lot of places.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

another vote for GolfWeek.  Although I hate that it went to a monthly format now in print.  I started to send a sarcastic email cancelling my subscription to GolfWEEK that comes MONTHLY..  But I ended up sucking it up and reading it online when it comes weekly.   Still prefer the old  format.  It had the most current news and info of any of them. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have a free subscription to golf magazine. I don't pay much attention to the instruction as my preference is 1st. real life instruction, 2nd video and dead last would be print instruction.

I find most magazines whether it's golf, boating, etc to be just filled with advertisements..

As a disclaimer I've never seen golf week so can't comment.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm with Kenny, My golf Spy.... Followed up with Golf Digest I think... What ever is in the library  :D ..

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Rule No. 1

Everything is a business model... and golf pubs are the epitomy of swinging from one branch to another looking for that next nut to crack. It was never more apparent when the range was fulll of new hip throwers trying to find that elusive lag ruining their backs and swings when all the mags jumped on that, ala what they thought and said Tiger was doing. I believe it was Rory who was asked, "how do you throw your hips' (to create lag blah blah)?" His reply was "I dont". But print and the channel will tell you he and the pros do. The move is quite different for them...

And round and round it goes all the way to the lesson tee for the new catch phrase of "being stuck" when really out of sync was put in the game from every source out there. The timing required for the "new" swing is fleeting even for the best of them, as someone like Justin Thomas shows to be the case from one week to the next.

Alot of fun reads and other than some of the better short game stuff from the pros there is much to be avoided.

I've let all my subscriptions expire except for Golfweek. It provides more useful info instead of typical marketing.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

MyGolfSpy Blog... nice reviews, interesting articles, breaking news.

Agreed.  Some of the best pieces on golf I've read this year were on the Blog.   Just to single out one that was probably the best single article I've read in a long time, was Barbajo's piece on the demise of Taylor Made.  it was filled with information that obviously comes from someone with great industry contacts and had done a ton of research!!   

Just a fascinating read. 

Didn't know Golf Styles was still in print used to get it years ago. It was a good read since it discussed courses near me even though it was primarily NOVA, DC, and Md.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Didn't know Golf Styles was still in print used to get it years ago. It was a good read since it discussed courses near me even though it was primarily NOVA, DC, and Md.

I don't think it is printed as often as it once may have been, but it is still around.   I got the latest issue about 3 weeks ago in the mail.   

I think it still sponsors that 54 hole marathon that a couple of our spy buds like to endure.  

There is also an Eastern Shore golf magazine that can be pick-up at just about any eastern shore course, however it is 90% advertisements.

yep, it's only published about 3 times  a year now.   Down from the monthly publication of several years back.  Still pretty much the same format, but outside of one or two feature articles each issue, it mostly is travel features on different areas of the east coast.   Each issue seems to highlight one of them.

yes, as Wahoo mentioned, the company still hosts 3 or 4 Solstice Survivals each year, 54 hole stroke play tournaments all in one day.   We just played in it this month.   They used to also have ice man or something of that nature tourney, near you every year, the first weekend of the new year.  Usually played it at a Williamsburg area course.  

Archived