TESTERS WANTED! ×

Coolest thing the wind has done to your ball?

STUDque

IMG_4183.GIF

I love wild stories like this and am curious to hear what crazy things the wind has done to your ball.

For me, it's the "S" shaped shot. One that both fades and draws. The first time I hit my normal fade that made a sharp left turn once it got above the trees and wound up on the wrong side of a green side bunker. The second time the ball was below my feet but the wind was right to left towards a green that was around the corner to the left. I took a fade swing path but turned my wrists like a draw and hit a beautiful "S" right at the pin. I'm not sure if the "S" is possible without wind but it was cool to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

That's cool, or when it helps you really bend one around a corner. Like turning a little draw into a 40 yard hook.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Can't say it's done anything good. I do like watching shots get hung up every once and a while, seems to slow down time.

Maybe someday.

I am learning to enjoy everything that happens on the course. The good, the bad, the ugly. It beats being in the office. And when you get stuck behind the only bush within 300 yards and still make par... that's golf.

Cant remember anything good it has ever done to the ball.  I do remember playing in a tournament one time and the wind was so strong the ball would wiggle on the green.  One hole was about a 520 yard par 5, hit a good drive, 2 good 3 woods, 8 iron and made the put for par :)

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

My club is at sea level or below on the water so the wind can be fun. Last Friday I hit my tee ball down wind on a 351 yard par 4 over the green...with the wood. Now that was fun.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

My club is at sea level or below on the water so the wind can be fun. Last Friday I hit my tee ball down wind on a 351 yard par 4 over the green...with the wood. Now that was fun.

Gotta love a chance to flex those muscles

Did you make birdie?

Gotta love a chance to flex those muscles

Did you make birdie?

Yes I did. Two putt from the back collar of the green.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

This has prob happened to all of us...

my Dad's course in Texas.  Par 3, 145yrds over water w/ false front.  pulled out my 9i.  there was a really strong wind into the face, gusts up to 30mi (had I really been thinking I would have hit a low 8i).  But I was going to muscle it!!!  I hit a great 9i but my ball flight is pretty high.  as soon as it came off I was like "MONEY"!  The Ball got to about 3/4 the way to the apex a huge gust came and right then I knew...  My ball looked like it hit a concrete wall.  It seriously looked like it was coming backwards just after the apex.  All I could do was try to talk it over the PLEADING to stay dry.  AND GUESS WHAT???  It didn't. :( learned a great lesson that day, when trying to muscle it into the wind over water...use a cheap golf ball.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

I've seen a ball flat out turn around and start coming back. Was able to confirm because the divot on the green was facing the opposite direction

At the opposite end of the spectrum, recently had a nice tailwind and lofted up a nice 3 wood over a lake and carried it 300. About 50 yards more than my average.

On the green fàst downhill address the ball align it up..slow back stroke and go to strike the balk...its moved 6 incjhes by a gust of wind and the club never did touch the ball..whiffed it on a putting stroke, how can thrat even happen. lol.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I bet you'll never live that one down with your playing partners.

I don't know so much about an event but to me there is nothing more fun than going out on a windy day and shooting a good score. The wind is another factor to manage and it takes good management skills, good ball striking, a short game and patience to defeat it.

It doesn't happen often but I love it when it does.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't know so much about an event but to me there is nothing more fun than going out on a windy day and shooting a good score. The wind is another factor to manage and it takes good management skills, good ball striking, a short game and patience to defeat it.

Well said. I play a lot of golf on windy days. Where I live a normal day is usually with winds (a breeze) of 10-15 mph. That's nothing. Some people might consider that windy. Many days especially in the spring I'll play a lot in winds of 20 mph+. Yes.. it's a challenge for sure but I've played all my life in the wind to some degree or another. I also hit the ball a lot lower than most guys which works to my advantage. I embrace different playing conditions because it a different game on those days.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Like PJ, we get lots of wind at my club, and it's really satisfying to score around your handicap on a tough windy day. The wind here can change direction several times during a round, particularly in summer. We can go from extremely hot northerly winds of 25mph to the same speed cold southerly wind in a matter of minutes.

Due to living on a peninsula, we have significant bodies of water on 3 directions so swirling winds are a regular issue to deal with.

The windiest I've played in at my home course I had a 9 iron played with a left to right wind pitch pin high, 5yds left of the pin, pin high, and miss the green by 5 yards (20 from pin) on the right. I allowed for 25 yd of movement in a 130 yd shot, needed another 20.

On consecutive rounds on the 18th I've played driver/lob wedge, and then driver/3 wood.

I love the focus needed when the wind is up, and tend to struggle on the rare calm days.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Like PJ, we get lots of wind at my club, and it's really satisfying to score around your handicap on a tough windy day. The wind here can change direction several times during a round, particularly in summer. We can go from extremely hot northerly winds of 25mph to the same speed cold southerly wind in a matter of minutes.

Due to living on a peninsula, we have significant bodies of water on 3 directions so swirling winds are a regular issue to deal with.

The windiest I've played in at my home course I had a 9 iron played with a left to right wind pitch pin high, 5yds left of the pin, pin high, and miss the green by 5 yards (20 from pin) on the right. I allowed for 25 yd of movement in a 130 yd shot, needed another 20.

On consecutive rounds on the 18th I've played driver/lob wedge, and then driver/3 wood.

I love the focus needed when the wind is up, and tend to struggle on the rare calm days.

Agreed. My home course is also on a peninsula and I love the fact that the wind is never the same direction 2 rounds in a row. Those bears of a day are when it switches mid round so you've got the wind into your face on the way out and on the way back to the clubhouse. It seems like you've rarely got it behind you when you really need it.

Archived