TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fittings, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I want to hear everyone's experiences that they may have had on fittings. Particularly if you had an outdoor vs indoor fitting for the same product within a short period of time, on how they went and the differences between the two.   

So as some may have read, I was one of the members chosen for the JPX 900 Iron Testing.  I'll be reviewing/testing the Hot Metal version.   

We were even more fortunate that Mizuno was allowing us to send in our own specs and choose from anything on it's current custom offerings.   So wanting to make sure I got properly fit irons for the test, so i could give solid accurate feedback, I wanted to go get fit by a certified Mizuno fitter who used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, see the pretty cool video of how they use it  here. http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/blog/mizuno-challenges-6-golfers-to-the-swing-dna-iron-test/

So settle in this might get wordy....Even for me...HA

I first called a place I had been fit before that has a reputation as one of the better fitters in the area.  Of course he was off until Tuesday (this being Monday, and having a case of the "I want it now!!", I called a second place that I had heard of but never been to.   They said come on down anytime today, so that's what I did.

INDOOR FITTING

In short this one was a very nice golf independent golf shop in the area, it has survived the glut of Big Box stores the past 15 years and has a very loyal local following.   I was met by a young man who took me over and explained the process.  Sounds good.   Having watched the above and several other videos on Mizuno's Swing DNA system, I pretty much knew what he was saying.

Well, in short it didn't go well at all.  

• The Shaft Optimizer kept dying after every shot, so they had to charge it have me hit a shot and repeat
  • The computer software wasn't working correctly, it didn't save all the info so the fitter said, he could probablyy remember the numbers from the 3 balls (the ones we had to wait 5 minutes between) and entered them manually
  • Lastly, my swing was way off, I struggled to hit two consistent shots back to back.  not that I was looking for perfect shots, but they didn't have some shafts in 1" over so I had to go with 1/2 in some which was tough to adjust to.

All that said, I don't blame the young man at all, he himself was very frutstrated by things not working and just having conversation with him, I could tell he knew how to fit and knew his stuff.   he was also very patient with me struggling to put solid shots together.

Well the recommendations that we got from the Optimizer based on his memory  :unsure:

• Project X LZ 5.5
  • Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
  • Dynamic Gold R300

We hit all those and I immediately eliminated the DG based on it feeling to heavy.   I currently have the Modus 105, so those felt familiar and the Project X LZ felt good as well.  We went to look at the numbers and the only ones that saved were the PX, and he said I was getting too much spin and too high of flight on those.

So his recommendation was the Modus 105.  Which I was fine with as I have them in my 565/765.   But all these shots were hit in a small bay that had no more than 6 to 8 feet of flight before hitting the net.  Impossible to tell what the true flight was.   Also a big thing I wanted to get right was what length he thought I should play as I've been alternating anywhere from 1/2 to 1" over depending on the OEM.   He took my knuckle to floor measurement.  Also for the lie, he was using lie tape and the lie board, but instead of leaving a mark like it usually does, half the tape was ripping off, so to me I didn't think it was giving a true indication of if the lie was correct or not.

So instead of a print out of what everything was, he scribbled down on a piece of paper what the recommendations were.  Now, again not all of this was his fault, as they had some technical issues.  But at the very worst, I know OEM's provide fittings sheets, that he could have taken the time to at least compelte that as much as possible. 

For this I paid $45

Outdoor Fitting

So the more I thought back on that, the less satisfied and 100% convinced that i had gotten the best information possible.  So I went ahead and called my first choice and set an appointment for the following day.

This is at a very nice range and was conducted outside in the private fitting/lesson area.  I had worked with Jon before so he knew a bit about my game and we didn't' have to go through my profile or game ability.   We got right to it.

The Mizuno Shaft optimizer worked brilliantly from the start and he plugged the numbers into I-Pad.   They spit out the following options.

• KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S
  • Project X LZ 5.5 
  • TT XP 115 S

Honestly these options surprised me a bit, as I've always tended to play shafts between 95 to 105 grams, as my driver SS is in the low 90's and my iron ss in mid to upper 70's.   However, Jon mentioned and has been pointed out during my Driver fitting last year, I have a very strong and fast move down, so a bit stiffer and more stable shaft suits me.  

Also he had irons in 1" over...THANK YOU!! So I didn't have to try and adjust my set up.  Overall I was hitting the ball pretty solid with a few loose shots here and there, but certainly enough for him to see my natural tendencies (and also based on seeing me previously)

The LM numbers between the C-Taper Lit and XP 115 were very close.  Although to me the C-Taper Lite was much easier to swing, yes the 5 grams probably made a big difference.  But I felt like I could feel the shaft getting through the swing more efficiently (loading better?)

But one of the biggest things in the fitting came with the length and lie measurements.   He used the same method of Lie measurement, with the tape on the sole, except these stayed in tact and showed I was hitting the ball flush in the center of the sole, with a 3 degree upright shaft.  Interesting that I have been only going 2 degrees, but we noticed a slight reduction in my fade when we went from the 2 degree to 3 degree lie.   He also mentioned to me that mizuno uses a 1/2 degree flatter lie as standard than most OEM's.  So I was really going to need to add that to my spec.

For length, the same thing with Mizuno, it's standard 6 iron is 1/4" shorter than most OEM.  So when I measured 1" over on his PING fitting chart, we made that 1 1/4 inch for Mizuno.

So factoring in the extra inch gives another degree upright, he gave me complete different specs than the previous fitter, who just gave me 1" over and 2 Up.

John actually wrote out the exact specs 38 1/4" 6 iron length and 63.5 degree lie. 

BTW, I never would have thought I'd be in a C-Taper shaft at 110 grams...HA  I tried the regular C-Tapers a couple years ago and it was like swinging a 2x4.   I did a lot of reading on these C Taper lites, and they were perfectly placed between the Tour 90 and C Capers from what I read.   

I have had the KBS Tour 90 before and liked them a lot, but at times felt I hit them a bit too high.  So these should give me more of a mid flight, which I'm excited about.  

I left there so much more confident that I was properly fit and that I'm getting the best shaft for me for these irons.    

For this I paid $0.00.  

I explained to John why I was getting the irons and that I wouldn't' be buying them there, and again offered to pay for his time and the fitting.   He said, "Not at all!!  Sounds like a great opportunity with Mizuno.   Let me know how they work out for you. 

So if you're still with me, let's hear what you like and don't like about indoor and outdoor fittings.  And if you've ever had two completely different experiences back to back like that. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Good post.

I like this John guy who realizes a bit stiffer with the driver is the way to go.

Outdoors and finding Confidence, what could be better?

Sounds like you got a really good one.

The other thing he's a big proponent of is going with the shortest shaft you can comfortably handle at address,  when it comes to longer clubs like hybrids, FW and Drivers.

During my FW fitting with him earlier this year, I was trying to decide between a 5W or 3 hybrid.   I was getting good distance with the 5W but would hit an occasional fat shot.   He took it back from me without saying what he was doing and then handed it back.   I was hitting every shot flush not fat ones at all and getting pretty much the same distance, and even more on a few.   The big change?   He put a 7w shaft in the 5w head.   Still had the mass of the 5w but more control with the 42" inch shaft.

I reported back to him yesterday that after two months in the bag, it has almost become my favorite club.  I know I'm going to get 185 to 190 yards with a nice high consistent flight out of it every time.

I'm doing my second-ever fitting today (I was also fortunate enough to be selected for the Mizuno test) so I'll report back on the indoor vs. outdoor fittings. My Epic fitting was outdoor on the range and I've been myna birding about it on the forums ever since. If you've never heard of a myna bird, they like to sit in circles with each other and squawk very loud to the point that they're annoying.

The tester I'm going to is a Golf Digest Top 100 so I'm hopeful, but I still think there's nothing like seeing your ball flight go through actual air and land on grass.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I think I'd prefer an outdoor fitting. With that being said - I've only ever had indoor fittings and they don't bother me. My latest fitting for the Mizuno test was actually done by Theoo so if they don't work out we can all blame him.

But in all seriousness we played the don't look at it and just hit it game. It worked because I basically ended up in the complete opposite shaft that I thought I would. The numbers didn't lie though. It was really a clear choice. I'm going to keep the rest of this for my review but it should be interesting.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Like you, I did an indoor fitting on the shaft optimizer first to find the shaft for my Mizuno 900 Tour testing.  This led me to the Project X LZ 6.0.

Now I have always hated PX Steel shafts, so this was a surprise to me, but the numbers didn't lie, and the shaft didn't feel too bad, so that was what I was going with.

However hitting into a net didn't sell me entirely.  I went to my instructor/fitter today to verify my findings and he let me hit the different combos outside.  Seeing the ball flight outside was incredible and it reminded me why I will only ever get outdoor fittings.  I was fit for my last two drivers outdoors, and now my irons and it's just so reassuring to see actual ball flight.

I will save the details for the testing thread, but the outdoor fitting confirmed the findings of the shaft optimizer.  Sure I could have gone with what the indoor fitting spit out, but I would have always had a slight doubt in my mind because I hadn't seen the ball flight.  Now that I have seen the ball flights outside, I am 100% confident in the setup I am getting, and that makes a huge difference!

I've had 2 fittings but both have been indoors, I've always wanted to do an outdoor fitting.

John sounds like a great guy and I'm sure you'll use him for everything in the future.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I agree jukes, outside is so much better, and if outside can be combined with a trackman or Foresight, all the better.   I have a good friend who's an instructor/fitter and now lives in Fl, he is very old school.   He believes in trackman as a validation of what his eyes are telling him.   But he'd rather do a fitting outside with no technology than inside with all the bells and whistles.  he said he can tell from the swing and ball flight, what is  happening and fit from there.    He's not naive enough to think a LM would help with really polish or nail it down completely. 

Oh, I guess I should have saved my long winded experience for the Stage 1.....LOL  Or maybe not, it'll probably be long enough anyway...HA

I've had 2 fittings but both have been indoors, I've always wanted to do an outdoor fitting.

John sounds like a great guy and I'm sure you'll use him for everything in the future.

Yep, no doubt will.   I had been considering lessons from Golftech, but I may decide on him for those as well.   when I got there to start the fitting, he was finishing up a lesson with a true beginner next to me.   I was watching and listening out of one eye and ear to that session.  I liked his approach. 

It was February...in Rhode Island...typical snowy NE winter and a fresh 6 inches of beautiful white powder fell overnight....

Choice A - cancel my scheduled outdoor fitting and go with an indoor one; 

Choice B - keep my outdoor fitting/damn the snow to all hell;

I went with B and I will always go with B.

I don't see how people do fittings indoors; I understand that the machine (Trackman/GC4/etc.) can "read" things and you can "feel" the club, but like what has been said already, you really want to see the ball for yourself.  You don't want to see a computer representation on a monitor.  Granted - the results might be exactly the same but golf is such a mental game that I just don't think you'd get to that 100 percent comfort/satisfaction level until you hit the ball outside and see the ball fly and land.

About the only fitting I can see doing indoors is for a putter...

BTW - how would someone do a wedge fitting indoors?  Wouldn't the ball launch over the screen?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Fitting advice for those going for fittings:  hit about 60-100 balls or play 18 prior to your fitting.  You don't want to go into a fitting completely fresh - my instructor/fitter (and Michael Breed) is a big believer in getting fit into shafts that you will feel comfortable swinging on the 18th hole, not just the 1st hole.  I got my fitting today after playing 18.  

The few times I have gone for pseudo-fittings without playing or hitting a lot of balls before hand, the fitters always had wanted to fit me into 120g+ xstiff shafts because of my swing speed.  The problem was, once I would make the turn I would feel like I couldn't load the shaft correctly without really going after it.  It is important to find the shaft that gives you the proper feel and performance when you aren't fresh!

One thing that I can add that an indoor fitting might have over the outdoor is the quality of balls.    In the indoor you are probably using a tour level or premium ball that will give true spin numbers.   Outside depending on the range or course, you're probably using a two piece range ball, which may or may nto be a limited flight ball.

At my 917 Driver fitting last year at Pinehurst, the fitter asked me if I preferred ProV or Prov1x for the fitting.  Yes Please!!  But, that is certainly the exception.

I've done both indoors and out. Both to me were good fittings. Only difference to me is hitting range balls compared to the balls I actually play.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Well, here's my $.02 after my first indoor fitting, and 2nd fitting overall. TL;DR version - $75 well worth it, I am just as happy as my outdoor one, even if I didn't get to see the ball flight for my own eyes, and it was computer simulated.

The Mizuno swing DNA thing is pretty bang on. If you're unfamiliar, you swing this shaft (with your preferred head attached) that has a sensor on it. The shaft is really light and feels weird at first, so I was instructed to take some practice cuts with it until I got comfortable. I thought it was too light and that I'd have some artificial numbers - but it was nearly identical to what Trackman was saying during my warm-ups.

Despite the fact that you can't see your ball fly out to the range, like Mr_Theoo said, you get to hit real balls vs range rocks, and you still know when you hit a good shot vs. a poor one. Well, at least I can feel it off the face of these forged irons that I'm gaming, and that I just tested. The mishit balls also show variation on Trackman as well, so that was pretty comforting to me, since I was a skeptic. This is probably my favorite part about playing forged irons, but I'll save that for the review.

In all, I'd still rather be fit on the range, but the guy I worked with today is a top 100 fitter and now I know why. The whole process was electrifying - for lack of a better word. Felt like a kid in a candy shop, and there were no repercussions for gorging. I still stand by my previous statement - no matter how poor you think your swing is, you should get fit for clubs. You wouldn't run a mile in ill-fitting shoes - why play 18 with the wrong sticks?

Over the years,  I have gone through several "fittings."  Most were many years ago while we were still in the days of epoxied shafts and you only got to try what was in the various bags.  when I was iron shopping a few years ago,  I went through several fittings to see what might work for my swing.  These were done indoors on different launch monitors and the manufacturers included Ping and Mizuno.   Results were pretty much the same for the various tests and I picked a set of clubs based on what I could find that matched the specs.    Most everything else has been self fit based on my evaluation of numbers on launch monitors.    I personally don't have a preference between indoor and outdoor but it is nice to actually see a real balls flight.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I want to hear everyone's experiences that they may have had on fittings. Particularly if you had an outdoor vs indoor fitting for the same product within a short period of time, on how they went and the differences between the two.

So as some may have read, I was one of the members chosen for the JPX 900 Iron Testing. I'll be reviewing/testing the Hot Metal version.

We were even more fortunate that Mizuno was allowing us to send in our own specs and choose from anything on it's current custom offerings. So wanting to make sure I got properly fit irons for the test, so i could give solid accurate feedback, I wanted to go get fit by a certified Mizuno fitter who used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, see the pretty cool video of how they use it here. http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/blog/mizuno-challenges-6-golfers-to-the-swing-dna-iron-test/

I first called a place I had been fit before that has a reputation as one of the better fitters in the area. Of course he was off until Tuesday (this being Monday, and having a case of the "I want it now!!", I called a second place that I had heard of but never been to. They said come on down anytime today, so that's what I did.

INDOOR FITTING

In short this one was a very nice golf independent golf shop in the area, it has survived the glut of Big Box stores the past 15 years and has a very loyal local following. I was met by a young man who took me over and explained the process. Sounds good. Having watched the above and several other videos on Mizuno's Swing DNA system, I pretty much knew what he was saying.

• The Shaft Optimizer kept dying after every shot, so they had to charge it have me hit a shot and repeat
  • The computer software wasn't working correctly, it didn't save all the info so the fitter said, he could probablyy remember the numbers from the 3 balls (the ones we had to wait 5 minutes between) and entered them manually
  • Lastly, my swing was way off, I struggled to hit two consistent shots back to back. not that I was looking for perfect shots, but they didn't have some shafts in 1" over so I had to go with 1/2 in some which was tough to adjust to.
All that said, I don't blame the young man at all, he himself was very frutstrated by things not working and just having conversation with him, I could tell he knew how to fit and knew his stuff. he was also very patient with me struggling to put solid shots together.

Well the recommendations that we got from the Optimizer based on his memory :unsure:

• Project X LZ 5.5
  • Dynamic Gold R300
We hit all those and I immediately eliminated the DG based on it feeling to heavy. I currently have the Modus 105, so those felt familiar and the Project X LZ felt good as well. We went to look at the numbers and the only ones that saved were the PX, and he said I was getting too much spin and too high of flight on those.

So his recommendation was the Modus 105. Which I was fine with as I have them in my 565/765. But all these shots were hit in a small bay that had no more than 6 to 8 feet of flight before hitting the net. Impossible to tell what the true flight was. Also a big thing I wanted to get right was what length he thought I should play as I've been alternating anywhere from 1/2 to 1" over depending on the OEM. He took my knuckle to floor measurement. Also for the lie, he was using lie tape and the lie board, but instead of leaving a mark like it usually does, half the tape was ripping off, so to me I didn't think it was giving a true indication of if the lie was correct or not.

So instead of a print out of what everything was, he scribbled down on a piece of paper what the recommendations were. Now, again not all of this was his fault, as they had some technical issues. But at the very worst, I know OEM's provide fittings sheets, that he could have taken the time to at least compelte that as much as possible.

For this I paid $45

Outdoor Fitting

So the more I thought back on that, the less satisfied and 100% convinced that i had gotten the best information possible. So I went ahead and called my first choice and set an appointment for the following day.

This is at a very nice range and was conducted outside in the private fitting/lesson area. I had worked with Jon before so he knew a bit about my game and we didn't' have to go through my profile or game ability. We got right to it.

The Mizuno Shaft optimizer worked brilliantly from the start and he plugged the numbers into I-Pad. They spit out the following options.

• KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S
  • Project X LZ 5.5
  • TT XP 115 S
Honestly these options surprised me a bit, as I've always tended to play shafts between 95 to 105 grams, as my driver SS is in the low 90's and my iron ss in mid to upper 70's. However, Jon mentioned and has been pointed out during my Driver fitting last year, I have a very strong and fast move down, so a bit stiffer and more stable shaft suits me.

Also he had irons in 1" over...THANK YOU!! So I didn't have to try and adjust my set up. Overall I was hitting the ball pretty solid with a few loose shots here and there, but certainly enough for him to see my natural tendencies (and also based on seeing me previously)

The LM numbers between the C-Taper Lit and XP 115 were very close. Although to me the C-Taper Lite was much easier to swing, yes the 5 grams probably made a big difference. But I felt like I could feel the shaft getting through the swing more efficiently (loading better?)

But one of the biggest things in the fitting came with the length and lie measurements. He used the same method of Lie measurement, with the tape on the sole, except these stayed in tact and showed I was hitting the ball flush in the center of the sole, with a 3 degree upright shaft. Interesting that I have been only going 2 degrees, but we noticed a slight reduction in my fade when we went from the 2 degree to 3 degree lie. He also mentioned to me that mizuno uses a 1/2 degree flatter lie as standard than most OEM's. So I was really going to need to add that to my spec.

For length, the same thing with Mizuno, it's standard 6 iron is 1/4" shorter than most OEM. So when I measured 1" over on his PING fitting chart, we made that 1 1/4 inch for Mizuno.

So factoring in the extra inch gives another degree upright, he gave me complete different specs than the previous fitter, who just gave me 1" over and 2 Up.

John actually wrote out the exact specs 38 1/4" 6 iron length and 63.5 degree lie.

BTW, I never would have thought I'd be in a C-Taper shaft at 110 grams...HA I tried the regular C-Tapers a couple years ago and it was like swinging a 2x4. I did a lot of reading on these C Taper lites, and they were perfectly placed between the Tour 90 and C Capers from what I read.

I have had the KBS Tour 90 before and liked them a lot, but at times felt I hit them a bit too high. So these should give me more of a mid flight, which I'm excited about.

I left there so much more confident that I was properly fit and that I'm getting the best shaft for me for these irons.

For this I paid $0.00.

I explained to John why I was getting the irons and that I wouldn't' be buying them there, and again offered to pay for his time and the fitting. He said, "Not at all!! Sounds like a great opportunity with Mizuno. Let me know how they work out for you.

So if you're still with me, let's hear what you like and don't like about indoor and outdoor fittings. And if you've ever had two completely different experiences back to back like that.

Your buddy John seems to be the real deal and is all over customer service.

I would definitely go to him. I had an indoor fitting 2.5 years ago and felt very uncomfortable with the results. Something wasn't right. I'm going in the fall to a different fitter that specialize in Titleist but has good connections to the Mizuno rep.

I'm waiting on the fitting for 2 reasons I want to C how the Mizuno testing works out with u guys and Titleist 718's will be coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

So as some may have read, I was one of the members chosen for the JPX 900 Iron Testing. I'll be reviewing/testing the Hot Metal version.

We were even more fortunate that Mizuno was allowing us to send in our own specs and choose from anything on it's current custom offerings. So wanting to make sure I got properly fit irons for the test, so i could give solid accurate feedback, I wanted to go get fit by a certified Mizuno fitter who used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, see the pretty cool video of how they use it here. http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/blog/mizuno-challenges-6-golfers-to-the-swing-dna-iron-test/

I first called a place I had been fit before that has a reputation as one of the better fitters in the area. Of course he was off until Tuesday (this being Monday, and having a case of the "I want it now!!", I called a second place that I had heard of but never been to. They said come on down anytime today, so that's what I did.

INDOOR FITTING

In short this one was a very nice golf independent golf shop in the area, it has survived the glut of Big Box stores the past 15 years and has a very loyal local following. I was met by a young man who took me over and explained the process. Sounds good. Having watched the above and several other videos on Mizuno's Swing DNA system, I pretty much knew what he was saying.

• The computer software wasn't working correctly, it didn't save all the info so the fitter said, he could probablyy remember the numbers from the 3 balls (the ones we had to wait 5 minutes between) and entered them manually
  • Lastly, my swing was way off, I struggled to hit two consistent shots back to back. not that I was looking for perfect shots, but they didn't have some shafts in 1" over so I had to go with 1/2 in some which was tough to adjust to.
All that said, I don't blame the young man at all, he himself was very frutstrated by things not working and just having conversation with him, I could tell he knew how to fit and knew his stuff. he was also very patient with me struggling to put solid shots together.

Well the recommendations that we got from the Optimizer based on his memory :unsure:

• Project X LZ 5.5
  • Dynamic Gold R300
We hit all those and I immediately eliminated the DG based on it feeling to heavy. I currently have the Modus 105, so those felt familiar and the Project X LZ felt good as well. We went to look at the numbers and the only ones that saved were the PX, and he said I was getting too much spin and too high of flight on those.

So his recommendation was the Modus 105. Which I was fine with as I have them in my 565/765. But all these shots were hit in a small bay that had no more than 6 to 8 feet of flight before hitting the net. Impossible to tell what the true flight was. Also a big thing I wanted to get right was what length he thought I should play as I've been alternating anywhere from 1/2 to 1" over depending on the OEM. He took my knuckle to floor measurement. Also for the lie, he was using lie tape and the lie board, but instead of leaving a mark like it usually does, half the tape was ripping off, so to me I didn't think it was giving a true indication of if the lie was correct or not.

So instead of a print out of what everything was, he scribbled down on a piece of paper what the recommendations were. Now, again not all of this was his fault, as they had some technical issues. But at the very worst, I know OEM's provide fittings sheets, that he could have taken the time to at least compelte that as much as possible.

For this I paid $45

Outdoor Fitting

So the more I thought back on that, the less satisfied and 100% convinced that i had gotten the best information possible. So I went ahead and called my first choice and set an appointment for the following day.

This is at a very nice range and was conducted outside in the private fitting/lesson area. I had worked with Jon before so he knew a bit about my game and we didn't' have to go through my profile or game ability. We got right to it.

The Mizuno Shaft optimizer worked brilliantly from the start and he plugged the numbers into I-Pad. They spit out the following options.

• KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S
  • Project X LZ 5.5
  • TT XP 115 S
Honestly these options surprised me a bit, as I've always tended to play shafts between 95 to 105 grams, as my driver SS is in the low 90's and my iron ss in mid to upper 70's. However, Jon mentioned and has been pointed out during my Driver fitting last year, I have a very strong and fast move down, so a bit stiffer and more stable shaft suits me.

Also he had irons in 1" over...THANK YOU!! So I didn't have to try and adjust my set up. Overall I was hitting the ball pretty solid with a few loose shots here and there, but certainly enough for him to see my natural tendencies (and also based on seeing me previously)

The LM numbers between the C-Taper Lit and XP 115 were very close. Although to me the C-Taper Lite was much easier to swing, yes the 5 grams probably made a big difference. But I felt like I could feel the shaft getting through the swing more efficiently (loading better?)

But one of the biggest things in the fitting came with the length and lie measurements. He used the same method of Lie measurement, with the tape on the sole, except these stayed in tact and showed I was hitting the ball flush in the center of the sole, with a 3 degree upright shaft. Interesting that I have been only going 2 degrees, but we noticed a slight reduction in my fade when we went from the 2 degree to 3 degree lie. He also mentioned to me that mizuno uses a 1/2 degree flatter lie as standard than most OEM's. So I was really going to need to add that to my spec.

For length, the same thing with Mizuno, it's standard 6 iron is 1/4" shorter than most OEM. So when I measured 1" over on his PING fitting chart, we made that 1 1/4 inch for Mizuno.

BTW, I never would have thought I'd be in a C-Taper shaft at 110 grams...HA I tried the regular C-Tapers a couple years ago and it was like swinging a 2x4. I did a lot of reading on these C Taper lites, and they were perfectly placed between the Tour 90 and C Capers from what I read.

I have had the KBS Tour 90 before and liked them a lot, but at times felt I hit them a bit too high. So these should give me more of a mid flight, which I'm excited about.

For this I paid $0.00.

I explained to John why I was getting the irons and that I wouldn't' be buying them there, and again offered to pay for his time and the fitting. He said, "Not at all!! Sounds like a great opportunity with Mizuno. Let me know how they work out for you.

So if you're still with me, let's hear what you like and don't like about indoor and outdoor fittings. And if you've ever had two completely different experiences back to back like that.

John's a great guy. He works with my daughter for the junior PGA clinic. I like to see my ball flight so I prefer an outdoor range, but it's all for naught if you have a terrible fitter. I also like to see numbers so I can associate what I see with the numbers. Hard to do when it's only flying 15 ft into a net. Being a lefty, fitting is much more critical.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

John's a great guy. He works with my daughter for the junior PGA clinic. I like to see my ball flight so I prefer an outdoor range, but it's all for naught if you have a terrible fitter. I also like to see numbers so I can associate what I see with the numbers. Hard to do when it's only flying 15 ft into a net. Being a lefty, fitting is much more critical.

MDGolfHacker

Maybe your daughter and I can get a 2-1 deal.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The other thing he's a big proponent of is going with the shortest shaft you can comfortably handle at address, when it comes to longer clubs like hybrids, FW and Drivers.

During my FW fitting with him earlier this year, I was trying to decide between a 5W or 3 hybrid. I was getting good distance with the 5W but would hit an occasional fat shot. He took it back from me without saying what he was doing and then handed it back. I was hitting every shot flush not fat ones at all and getting pretty much the same distance, and even more on a few. The big change? He put a 7w shaft in the 5w head. Still had the mass of the 5w but more control with the 42" inch shaft.

I reported back to him yesterday that after two months in the bag, it has almost become my favorite club. I know I'm going to get 185 to 190 yards with a nice high consistent flight out of it every time.

I need to get a fitting by this John guy. Sounds like a real stand up guy that sure knows how to fit golfers to their best club option!

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I need to get a fitting by this John guy. Sounds like a real stand up guy that sure knows how to fit golfers to their best club option!

Yep definitely knows his stuff. He used to be a fitter for Callaway.

I had some time to kill this AM. And also because I can't wait to get the Hot Metals in for testing. I stopped in Golf Galalxy and they were very quiet. So I had them put together a HM with the CTaper Lt shaft and hit a couple dozen balls with it.

They all felt amazing. The LM was acting up. It kept showing everything carrying 101 yards (6 iron) no matter what the ball speed or smash factor were. Also showed a smash factor of 150 a couple times. Which I'm pretty sure is almost impossible with a 6 iron and 77 mph swing. Ha

But the main thing is they felt amazing. The shaft just felt right and such a good feel off the clufbface (despite they were using max fli balls).

I also took some swings with the Modus 105 which was another recommendation by the shot analyzer and I have those in my 565/765. But the c Taper lite just felt so smooth. And the modus is a smooth feeling shaft in of itself.

So the anticipation is high to get the testing underway.

I had some time to kill this AM. And also because I can't wait to get the Hot Metals in for testing. I stopped in Golf Galalxy and they were very quiet. So I had them put together a HM with the CTaper Lt shaft and hit a couple dozen balls with it.

They all felt amazing. The LM was acting up. It kept showing everything carrying 101 yards (6 iron) no matter what the ball speed or smash factor were. Also showed a smash factor of 150 a couple times. Which I'm pretty sure is almost impossible with a 6 iron and 77 mph swing. Ha

But the main thing is they felt amazing. The shaft just felt right and such a good feel off the clufbface (despite they were using max fli balls).

I also took some swings with the Modus 105 which was another recommendation by the shot analyzer and I have those in my 565/765. But the c Taper lite just felt so smooth. And the modus is a smooth feeling shaft in of itself.

The waiting may kill u! Don't worry it won't be long brill the HM pkg gets to U.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Yeah, I'm dying over here waiting as well!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's interesting to me that everyone loves the Mizuno optimizer. The one bad fitting that I've had was because of it. Perhaps it was me that day but the shaft that I got in my irons was NG big time.

My fitter has been both TMag and Mizuno fitter of the year and fits several touring pros including Brittany and John Daly.

I'm not a fan of the shaft optimizer.

As for fittings I've had good ones both inside and outside. The best of all worlds is when you get the technology with the trained eye of course.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's interesting to me that everyone loves the Mizuno optimizer. The one bad fitting that I've had was because of it. Perhaps it was me that day but the shaft that I got in my irons was NG big time.

My fitter has been both TMag and Mizuno fitter of the year and fits several touring pros including Brittany and John Daly.

I'm not a fan of the shaft optimizer.

As for fittings I've had good ones both inside and outside. The best of all worlds is when you get the technology with the trained eye of course.

Rev. It was the first time for me. I wouldn't say I loved it any more than I did from a fitting with a trackman and experienced pro. In fact if I relayed the info from the first fitting correctly I was a bit less than 100 percent happy.

More than anything. I was surprised at a couple of the recommendations. We will ultimately see if the suggestion was right.

But in the fitting and at GG that shaft felt very good.

Carolina I avoid even mentioning the shaft optimizer because everyone is wowed by it while I'm not. It seems to me that it has a huge bias towards steel shafts. Has anyone here actually had the thing recommend graphite for you?

If I play steel, regardless of how light it may be or something like sense secore being in it I'm done after 40 or 50 swings and not coming back the next day.

But perhaps the issue isn't the optimizer rather it's in the interpretation of the fitter. When I looked at my print out there were both steel and graphite recommendations. When l looked at my results three shaft/head combos finished in the top category. The fitter recommended the one that approximated the optimizer's first choice. The other two combos included graphite.

I should add that if I read the recommendation followed by the test results properly the first head shaft combo listed wasn't necessarily best. All three finished in the top category for me. The fitter failed to take the player into account because in his opinion all golfers lie about their games.

Its entirely possible that I would be playing those Mizunos today had I gotten one of the other head/shaft combos. I'm still playing the SCORs that I received at the same time. Instead though my game was sent into a free fall that it took several hundreds of dollars to repair. Part of that was my fault and part of that was pneumonia along with the onset of my heart issues but having the wrong shaft in those irons and hitting lots of balls with them started it.

So there's my story and the reason why I'm the only one on the planet who doesn't think much of the shaft optimizer. Send me for a colonoscopy instead. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Carolina I avoid even mentioning the shaft optimizer because everyone is wowed by it while I'm not. It seems to me that it has a huge bias towards steel shafts. Has anyone here actually had the thing recommend graphite for you?

If I play steel, regardless of how light it may be or something like sense secore being in it I'm done after 40 or 50 swings and not coming back the next day.

But perhaps the issue isn't the optimizer rather it's in the interpretation of the fitter. When I looked at my print out there were both steel and graphite recommendations. When l looked at my results three shaft/head combos finished in the top category. The fitter recommended the one that approximated the optimizer's first choice. But it wasn't first because it was necessarily best. It recommended both steel or if the player preferred graphite. He failed to take the player into account because in his opinion all golfers lie about their games.

Its entirely possible that I would be playing Mizuno today had I gotten one of those other head/shaft combos. Instead my game was sent into a free fall that it took several hundreds of dollars to repair. Part of that was my fault and part of that was pneumonia along with the onset of my heart issues but having the wrong shaft in those irons and hitting lots of balls with them started it.

Rev. You bring up an interesting point. I hadn't really thought of it until reading your post. But I don't believe I got a graphite recommendation from either fitting.

They were with the exception of one, all lightweight steel. And to be honest on the C-Taper light. I Had to tap it several times and look closely to make sure it was actually steel. The brushed color of the shaft looks very grsphite'ish.

I guess time will tell for me. In 2015 I played steel in KBS Your 90, in early 16 i played Recoil 680s in mid to late 2016 I went back to kbs 90 on the ap1 due to cost since I knew I would have them for less than a year. Early this year I went with Modus 105 in the Srixon after extensive demo with them.

And that brings us to the Mizuno with C-Taper Lt.

As an aging golfer I certainly realize the benefits of graphite and have no qualms playing it. It just seems for no particular reason (other than the one circumstance of cost) did I and up with light weight steel.

I have had my last couple fittings mention my aggressive transition in the downswing and the fact I hit more than swing as a factor in considering stiffer (although not necessarily steel vs graphite) fitting me best.

But I'm glad you posted this. While I won't necessarily focus on my stamina specifically during the review rounds, It is something I'll make sure to keep track of and note as it's a vital piece of the equation.

The conversation between U2 guys is very interesting. I'm going for a fitting soon and u guys have brought up valid points.

Rick

Left Hand, 

That's what so awesome about MGS. Like minded guys who love the same hobby exchanging ideas and experiences.

And it usually ends up being relevant to a lot of people.

That's what so awesome about MGS. Like minded guys who love the same hobby exchanging ideas and experiences.

And it usually ends up being relevant to a lot of people.

Right on. There's a lot of good ideas floating around MGS.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived