Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Game Golf - Anyone with recent experience?

I was a relatively early adopter of Game Golf.  I sold it (early in 2016) after using it for 8 rounds due to the following quirks:

• I often forgot to tap the sensor (like 5 times a round) and the post-round required fixes due to the user errors above were a PITA

• They had not figured out how to handle those scenarios where you are punching out or hitting half shots - those would ultimately penalize your average club distance

I received an email today about new "Live" functionality which rekindled my interest.  Is anyone still using this?  Have they introduced any new features or improved scenarios like that above?

Like it / hate it?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I'm just jumping on this thread for updates. I would also like to know about this as I came close to pulling the trigger on this system but ultimately passed for the same reasons Strangelove sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Yeah Dr. My experience was almost identical to yours. Same time frame as well. Bought it from a PGA Show special in 2016. Solid it after maybe 6 or 7 uses, for the exact reasons you mention.

I keep getting the new emails as well. Not sure I'll try it again. Maybe Arccos at some point.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've been on the fence about this or the arccos device for awhile, but I keep readying about issues with both.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Well it detects when you shoot now, even if you forget to tap.  You do have to enter the club after though as the tags are basically nfc tags and it doesn't know unless tapped.  Editing a round now only takes a minute or two, as I don't use the live function. Personally I think its just one more distraction during the round.  Basically I tell it what clubs when I forget to tap (it does calculate distance just needs to know which club), and add penalties.

And for club distances, they calculate your typical shot for each club, not your avg shot.  So duffs, and half shots don't contribute to this number I think.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

Well it detects when you shoot now, even if you forget to tap.  You do have to enter the club after though as the tags are basically nfc tags and it doesn't know unless tapped.  Editing a round now only takes a minute or two, as I don't use the live function. Personally I think its just one more distraction during the round.  Basically I tell it what clubs when I forget to tap (it does calculate distance just needs to know which club), and add penalties.

And for club distances, they calculate your typical shot for each club, not your avg shot.  So duffs, and half shots don't contribute to this number I think.

Thanks for the update

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Got it for Father's Day and have used it twice... so far it is ... meh ...

I was hoping to get all of this great data telling ME where I need to improve my game !!!

Haha... not quite yet... maybe after more rounds.... right now it just reminds me of how much I suck.

I forgot to 'tag' on probably 30 pct of my shots but as someone else said, it knows you've taken a shot and it knows the distance so you can just plug in the club afterwards.

the PIA for me is the putting.  I can't ever remember to tag before the putts and I have to just add shots afterward.

The app on the PC is pretty good and it's easy to edit the round.

We'll see how I get along - it was less than 100 so I figured I'd give it a shot.  The Arccos is about 3x as expensive... :( ... I probably would have rather had that one but 300 bucks is way to much.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I love mine. It did take a little while to remember to tag all the time and I certainly forget. But it does give me good information and if I practiced more it would be beneficial.

I give it a thumbs up.

I am going to testing something else very soon. We'll see how it plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I wish there was something like this you can use at the range.  I don't have 5 grand to get a GCQuad or Trackman and it would be nice to get some stats on my practicing....

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

Been a GG user for a while now. Started with the original device and upgraded to Live when they released it.

They have done a decent job of making updates. No system will be perfect, but if you can build the tagging into your pre-shot routine (which isn't difficult so long as you have a pre-shot routine) then I think most will find GG pretty easy to use and fun.

I do use the "live" functionality to update things like penalty strokes and hole locations, but only as time allows - riding in a cart as opposed to driving, and waiting for my playing partners to hit or the group in front to clear.

I honestly wouldn't get too caught up in AVG distance as reported on game golf because if you look at the screen where distances are shown it will display a bar with every distance recorded for each club. Look at where most of your shots end up, and that is your real average (really more of median than average). No need to worry about outliers if you look at it that way.

GG offers a variety of stat reports, but the most useful IMO is strokes gained. Again, it may not be perfect, but it will absolutely highlight the best and worst aspects of your game. Example, I'm best at the Long Game and Putting, worst at Approach Shots and Short game. This is easy to verify by looking at my best scores in which case I'll typically see a sizeable reduction in Approach or Short Game (if not both).

I also have contemplated Arccos, but I'll never use it as long as I have to have my phone on me at all times. I don't like the added bulk or the extensive use of my battery (Arcoss reports that it can drain as much as 50% of your battery during an 18-hole round). With GG Live, a phone is not required (on your person or even at all if you'd prefer). With GG Live, I can leave my phone in the cart and it will automatically sync the data when I return. Sometimes this can take a minute or two, but it almost always works.

That being said, Arccos has begun to separate itself from the competition in terms of data. If that is of utmost importance to you, I certainly wouldn't steer you away from them.

Another thing to note is customer service and my experience with GG is that theirs is top-notch. I always get quick responses and they've replaced several items free of charge. Perhaps, they might get a bit stingy for those who abuse their device and club tags - constantly requesting freebies, but most anyone I've spoken with agrees that GG takes very good care of their supporters.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at performance trackers for a while now but I just can't decide if they are for me. I like the look of the data that both Game Golf and Arccos provide,however I'm not sure if tagging every shot or having my phone in my pocket  for the whole round is for me.

I have been looking at performance trackers for a while now but I just can't decide if they are for me. I like the look of the data that both Game Golf and Arccos provide,however I'm not sure if tagging every shot or having my phone in my pocket for the whole round is for me.

The Skycaddie system seems to be the easiest to manage so far with the added bonus of GPS distances. Based on the reviews I've seen here:

Official Forum Member Review - Sky Caddie Linx GT GPS Watch & Shot Tracking System

Still seems like they've got a lot of work to do with the app though.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

The Skycaddie system seems to be the easiest to manage so far with the added bonus of GPS distances. Based on the reviews I've seen here:

Official Forum Member Review - Sky Caddie Linx GT GPS Watch & Shot Tracking System

Still seems like they've got a lot of work to do with the app though.

I thought you still had to tag using the Skycaddie system?

I thought you still had to tag using the Skycaddie system?

You do but you're tagging a watch not an attachment to your belt or your phone. Supposedly easier to tag in your pre shot routine.

Got the original game golf for Father's day... had it on sale at Amazon for $99... wasn't interested in the GG Live cause I don't want to be messin with my phone during a round.

After about 4-5x taking it out I must say it can be rather frustrating.  

Things that bug me:

- size

it's kind of big and you have to wear it on your belt; I've tried sliding it around to right near my zipper and all the way round to my hip and on both the right and left side... still can't get it wear I don't really 'notice' it.  And if you ride in a cart and sit down you've got to be careful else it will 'poke' you when you sit down. 

- tagging

no matter what I try I just can't seem to get this.  first off you have 60 seconds from when you tag to when you hit.  I wish (REALLY WISH) that could be adjustable.  I'd set it to like 2 minutes or something.  I'd like to tag while someone else is hitting.  That way I can just forget about it - have 2 minutes to hit the ball and go.  Right now I feel 'rushed'.  Here's what happens - I go through my preshot routine - a couple practice swings, pick my line, get my feet, grip, alignment and then I forget to tag.  Now, I'm thinking about that instead of my target and just making a good swing.  And then when I get to the ball I remember I forgot to tag but I can still use the club I hit and tag with that so now I've got to bring 2 clubs - the one I hit my previous shot with and the one I need to hit my next shot with and now I'm tagging twice and sometimes it doesn't work when I review my round afterwards.  My next round I'm thinking about clipping the sensor on my bag (I walk the majority of the time) and figuring out if I can tag right when I take the club out of my bag.  I've been trying to figure out if the sensor has to be on your body but I can't find that answer anywhere online.  I figure that my bag will be close enough to me (within a couple yards) that it won't make that much of a difference.

tagging while putting;

again - I forget to do this a lot.  As a matter of fact I almost always have to adjust this after the round.  Reconsidering my strategy of keeping the sensor on my bag, I may grab it when I grab my putter and put it in my pocket or something.  I find I don't really track the length of my putts with this too much; more just the number of putts I have.

post-round review;

I like this part.... once I got the hang of it I found it pretty simple to use and you can make changes pretty easily.

One thing that is important though is to do it as close to finishing as possible; I find that I can remember almost every shot in a round - especially seeing it on a map - and you're almost guaranteed to have to make some adjustments

Comparing the cost of this (99.00) with the other systems (Arccos, etc. (250-300))  I think it is a good value but it does take some getting used to.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

It would be good to try out the different performance trackers before going ahead and buying one. I think they all have their good points but currently none of them are really the complete package. I think I'll maybe do a bit more research on the Skycaddie system and see what other users say.

I'm getting the cobra driver with the sensor in the grip that uses Arccos.  My only concern with that is having my phone in my pocket.  It's a bigger phone (5.5") and I don't normally carry it on me while I play.  Wish I had gotten a smaller (4") phone to be honest with you.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Follow along here... 8 of us from MGS were selected to test out the driver and the connect.

Also check out our social media sites.  we'll be posting regular updates there.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20460-testers-announced-the-cobra-connect-challenge/page-1

Estimating that we will begin around mid-August.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

@strokerAce I've never experienced a "time limit" on tagging.

There have been plenty of times I've tagged my shot and then stood around while someone else hit. There's no discernible way for GG to know whether or not you've made a swing since all it contains is a GPS, Bluetooth, and NFC. The original version that you received as a gift wouldn't have even had Bluetooth.

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but that was just an observation I made from reading your review. I'd be curious to know where you got that information from? Is it in the instructions somewhere? I tossed mine so long ago I couldn't begin to tell you what any of it said and just speak from my own experience with the device at this point.

@strokerAce I've never experienced a "time limit" on tagging.

There have been plenty of times I've tagged my shot and then stood around while someone else hit. There's no discernible way for GG to know whether or not you've made a swing since all it contains is a GPS, Bluetooth, and NFC. The original version that you received as a gift wouldn't have even had Bluetooth.

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but that was just an observation I made from reading your review. I'd be curious to know where you got that information from? Is it in the instructions somewhere? I tossed mine so long ago I couldn't begin to tell you what any of it said and just speak from my own experience with the device at this point.

Thought that's what this means... no?

Solid Green: The green light indicates a successful tag. After tagging, the device will vibrate, beep, and display a solid green light, which will remain on for 60 seconds as a reminder.

Also - the support site says this about knowing you've taken a swing;

The GAME GOLF tracking device is able to automatically detect most swings taken from outside the green, based on the motion of your hips. This means that if you forget to tag a shot during the round, in most cases GAME GOLF can show where you took the swing and simply prompt you to assign a club to that shot.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

@strokerAce - I'd assume the 60 seconds is just a visual reminder like it says and not a time limit based on my experience. I always have the unit clipped to my belt on the right hip so I never see or pay any attention to the light.

I have seen that on the support site as well, but I have no earthly idea how that could possibly be true unless they added more tech to the unit that I am unaware of.

I do however know that they could easily "guess" when/where you hit using GG Live based on the time you spent in one location (from your smart phone) and using GPS. They could also then use the data you've provided from previous rounds to "guess" which club you used based on the distance between the previous shot and the next shot if you forget to tag.

Very interesting though. I'll have to post this on the Game Golf discussion board at GolfMatch. We have a bunch of die hards in there and at least one guy who I'm pretty sure is involved with GG. I'm very curious now.

BTW, maybe it's just the browser I'm using, but the quote function never works for me when I want to reply directly to someone's previous post. :(

@strokerAce - I'd assume the 60 seconds is just a visual reminder like it says and not a time limit based on my experience. I always have the unit clipped to my belt on the right hip so I never see or pay any attention to the light.

I have seen that on the support site as well, but I have no earthly idea how that could possibly be true unless they added more tech to the unit that I am unaware of.

I do however know that they could easily "guess" when/where you hit using GG Live based on the time you spent in one location (from your smart phone) and using GPS. They could also then use the data you've provided from previous rounds to "guess" which club you used based on the distance between the previous shot and the next shot if you forget to tag.

Very interesting though. I'll have to post this on the Game Golf discussion board at GolfMatch. We have a bunch of die hards in there and at least one guy who I'm pretty sure is involved with GG. I'm very curious now.

BTW, maybe it's just the browser I'm using, but the quote function never works for me when I want to reply directly to someone's previous post. :(

Thanks... yeah, I thought that 60 seconds wasn't very long; I'm not sure what it means.

I posted these questions to gg support.  I'm curious what you find out on golfmatch.

hi; i received a game golf and have used it a few times and am wondering how long I have to take a shot after I tag my club? my understanding is 60 seconds but I'm not sure.
also - I'm wondering if the device needs to be physically on you when tagging or could I - for example - place it on my bag and tag the club from there?

just received a response from game golf via facebook messenger:

Once you have tagged your position you can take as much time as you need to take your shot
For accuracy it is better to have the device on you. Otherwise, it could be a few yards out

Nice to know that you can tag as early as you want... this is a real game changer for me!

Not sure what the 60 second thing is all about...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

....also ... reading through the support site and questions (I read them all) it appears that they don't really "track" the length of your putts, just the number of putts you have.  And by that I mean it doesn't provide stats on your consistency from long putts vs. short ones.... just the fact that you 1, 2, 3 (or more!) putt on a green.

That makes the putting tagging a but simpler as well as easy to edit post-round.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Awesome that they were so quick to get back to you!

I haven't posted to the GolfMatch guys yet, but I will tonight. We just got an influx of new GG users on there as well thanks to Amazon Prime Day (GG Live was selling for like $99 or something I guess).

On the putting: It's difficult to track putting distances using GPS because even if you're only off by 1 yard, that's still 3 feet. You can fill in the gaps a little by moving the flag and putting positions around when editing on the computer, but I still wouldn't use it to build my practice routine around.

I'll just stick with strokes gained, putt average, and 3-putt percentage.

Awesome that they were so quick to get back to you!

I haven't posted to the GolfMatch guys yet, but I will tonight. We just got an influx of new GG users on there as well thanks to Amazon Prime Day (GG Live was selling for like $99 or something I guess).

On the putting: It's difficult to track putting distances using GPS because even if you're only off by 1 yard, that's still 3 feet. You can fill in the gaps a little by moving the flag and putting positions around when editing on the computer, but I still wouldn't use it to build my practice routine around.

I'll just stick with strokes gained, putt average, and 3-putt percentage.

Yep... no complaints on the putting tracking... I know if I'm a good putter from long distances or not; I don't need a device to tell me.  :)

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

When I considered either GG or Arccos, the aspect that actually won it for Arccos was the lack of having to 'tap' your club. In terms of forgetfulness, I've actually left my wireless speaker in the golf cart after the round...while it was still playing music! So knowing myself, I knew I'd always be beating myself up.

I've been a religious Arccos user for two years. Couple of feedback points:

1) I never notice the phone in my pocket, but I have a regular sized iPhone 7.

2) I do love the data, but feel they've been lax in really helping you to manipulate/massage it via the interface and dashboard.

3) It rarely misses shots. But you do need to go through during or after the round (gimmies even if you putt out simply may not register). If it misses more often, it's with putts.

4) They've really put a lot of PR (read the August issue of Golf Digest) into their new Caddie functionality which to me is a non-starter.

All in all though, their 'smart distances and range' stats hit the mark and the dashboard on your iPad or laptop can really give you some great intel on your game (bug as stated above, I think they've only scratched the surface).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I've just seen on Twitter that a company called Shot Scope have released a performance tracking watch with built in GPS. It also says that there is no tagging involved. I think I may just just have found the performance tracker for me. 

Here is a link if anyone else is interested in having a look https://shotscope.com

I've just seen on Twitter that a company called Shot Scope have released a performance tracking watch with built in GPS. It also says that there is no tagging involved. I think I may just just have found the performance tracker for me. 

Here is a link if anyone else is interested in having a look https://shotscope.com

....there was a MGS review .... take a look - https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18766-official-forum-member-review-shot-scope/?hl=shotscope

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Archived