TESTERS WANTED! ×

The irons I want to love.....

kro44

So last year I was given a hand me down set of Callaway X18 in great shape. Which were a great replacement to the entry level clubs I had. I've played them for a year now and can't figure them out! I'm constantly hitting a hard draw to almost hook.

In my given up on them my brother in law said he had an extra set of Taylor made burners 2.0. he said he was going to sell them but we could trade instead and he would let me try them out first. Well upon getting the clubs I'm pretty sure they are knock off clubs, however I can hit them straight (like my old clubs). I desperately want to play the Callaway's , should I give up on the callaways? And play the knock offs?

Have you ever had a club you got but just couldn't figure it out ?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The Callaway GBB Heavenwood....everybody I knew raved about it so I bought one and I couldn't ever get comfortable with it, I hooked everything off the planet with that club!

As to your other question, if you hit the TM Burners straight and you like the results then who the hell cares what anybody thinks!! Some clubs just don't fit certain people, play what you play best!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Play what makes you happy.  If playing a certain brand, regardless of performance, makes you happy, then do that! If you want to play clubs that give you the better performance, regardless of brand, then do that!

That's the beauty of golf - everyone gets something different out of the game, so play the equipment that helps you get the most enjoyment out of the game.

... I would never play knock off clubs as I think that is basically stealing R&D from the OEM's but equally as important, I would hate to be playing clubs well that fell apart with no chance of reproducing that club or clubs. But TM 2.0 Burners can be found very cheap and I would take a look and see if you could find those. The one thing I would not do is continue to play clubs that didn't work for me. I have given up on clubs I new worked for me but I struggled on the course with them and the last thing I want to do is start subconsciously changing my swing to match my equipment. When Tour Pro's hit new clubs and shafts they take 3 swings max if they are not getting their intended flight and distance because they are so good they can make the adjustments also immediately and again, they don't want to change anything to fit this equipment. It should always be the other way around. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I got a 2014 Scotty Cameron golo 7 for Christmas from my girlfriend a few years back, but I just can't putt with the dang thing and I don't want to sell it because it was a gift.

Good luck with the search

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

So last year I was given a hand me down set of Callaway X18 in great shape. Which were a great replacement to the entry level clubs I had. I've played them for a year now and can't figure them out! I'm constantly hitting a hard draw to almost hook.

In my given up on them my brother in law said he had an extra set of Taylor made burners 2.0. he said he was going to sell them but we could trade instead and he would let me try them out first. Well upon getting the clubs I'm pretty sure they are knock off clubs, however I can hit them straight (like my old clubs). I desperately want to play the Callaway's , should I give up on the callaways? And play the knock offs?

Have you ever had a club you got but just couldn't figure it out ?

Yup sure have too many to list. It's funny how that works.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

You get a just for that title. It plays right into Shakespearian romanticism and irony.

From my perspective, Adams Pro Mini hybrid was that club. I bought it new at a great price and gamed it for 2 seasons. Unfortunately, I can count on my hand the amount of shots that felt good coming off the club face (including range time).

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'm surprised no one has asked if you checked the lie on your irons. I would do that. It could be that the X18's are a cheap fix away from being fine.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm surprised no one has asked if you checked the lie on your irons. I would do that. It could be that the X18's are a cheap fix away from being fine.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy[/quote

I actually went in to get things checked out. Took a few swings to see where I was hitting and I was hitting flush.

[/quote

I actually went in to get things checked out. Took a few swings to see where I was hitting and I was hitting flush.

If you are hitting the ball in the center if the face and the lie angle is correct it could be shaft, swing weight, or swing related. What is the stiffness of the shaft compared to you old irons and the knockoffs?

When you say hard draw/hook. Where does the ball start? Left or right of target line? If it starts left and goes left you could be setting up with a closed club face.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The knock offs say regular shaft 85 flex. I can't seem to find a rating on the callaways im assuming they are regular as well.

As far as ball flight path it is right to left and not a straight left.

The ones that first came to mind when I saw this thread were the Mizuno MP60's

I bought those back in 2005 (?) and was just floored by the looks (and the performance in the fitting) but several things went wrong with the order and credit to Mizuno for fixing it (the stores fault) but in the end, they just weren't a good fit for me, I had (have) a very steep swing and the leading edge on these was quite sharp and caused severed digging and fat shots on just about every swing.   I ended up selling them after two rounds.   

Man, I wanted to LOVE those irons.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Most of the old X series irons were hook machines for me too. Combo of the offset and maybe some heel bias I guess, but even the pro series went too far left on me. I think they have been much better the last 6-8 years at having options for the player who doesn't want to hook it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Archived