Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Garmin S60 Watch V Laser

Hey all,

First off, I am wondering if any of you have had a chance to experience the new Garman S 60 approach watch now that it is shipping.

2nd: is it true that a small handheld laser will always be more accurate than a GPS device?

I want something simple and intuitive and I would prefer to stay in golf brain versus gadget brain. Primarily looking for yardages to layups, Hazards, green front/back etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Hey all,

First off, I am wondering if any of you have had a chance to experience the new Garman S 60 approach watch now that it is shipping.

2nd: is it true that a small handheld laser will always be more accurate than a GPS device?

I want something simple and intuitive and I would prefer to stay in golf brain versus gadget brain. Primarily looking for yardages to layups, Hazards, green front/back etc.

GPS devices are less accurate than rangefinders. My watch specifically can be up to 4 yards off. Most rangefinders are no more than 1/2 yard off. Rangefinders are also legal for use in most tournaments.That is not the case for GPS units. But... rangefinders are much more expensive. The nice thing about rangefinders is you can get the distance to the pin (not front, center, & back), and also to various targets, hazards, etc. If it's in your budget, I would reccomend getting a rangefinder. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I use a rangefinder and the a GPS app on my phone. The only real draw back to a rangefinder is getting layup yardages or exact carry distances over hazards.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR, which works really well on the course as well as off the course (as it was made mostly for off the course). It has always been very accurate and I can generally figure within a few yards if the pin is clearly marked front/middle/back of my buddies range finder. You can easily see the layups to yardages, doglegs, green shapes with yardages, it can keep your score if you want too. It isn't big and bulky, I can't swing well with a normal watch or even something around the size of the S60. And it was about $150 when I got it on special. The main point I am making is that the watch will have use on and off the course, where as the laser will generally be used just on the course, or driving/shooting range. 

Just my opinion, 

Cheers,

-Glenn

In my Callaway Hyperlight 5 bag

Driver:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB 

Fairway Wood:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB

Hybrid:   :cobra-small:  King F7 2 & 3 H

Irons:   Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Mid (4-PW)

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  MD3 50/56

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne

Ball: Vice Pro + or :callaway-small: Chromesoft

I'm partial to GPS for a few reasons:

1. You can get a birds eye view of the hole or green to give you a better idea of what you're dealing with. Especially useful when playing a new course.

2. You can get yardages to specific landing spots vice only what you can see

3. Less fiddling and less expensive

4. Even if the "yardage" isn't exact, you'll develop your own club preferences to match whatever yardage the GPS tells you. I never take yardage from someone else because I know what it takes to hit the corresponding yardage on my GPS's reading.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Archived