Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bandon Dunes Help

Jmikecpa

Found out yesterday that I have been invited to play three days of golf at Bandon the end of this month. Would have to leave on the 31st of July and have to be back in NY mid day on August 3rd at the latest. Would play Old McDonald on the 1st and Bandon Dune and Pacific Dunes on the 2nd. I would miss Bandon Trails on the 3rd since I need to be home for an event with SWMBO.

So here are my questions....

What is the easiest airport to fly into? I have looked at the flights out of and into OTH and they do not work for my schedule at all. Appears that Portland is my best bet but one heck of a ride after a long flight.

Is missing Bandon Trails a big deal and would I be missing a lot from the experience?

Most important, is the trip worth it? This is turning into a logistical challenge that is staring to seem to me that the juice is not worth the sqeeze.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I've never been so I can't help with any of the questions.

I just want to say, please post whatever pics you can, so i can live vivaciously through your trip  :D

Enjoy!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

... I am the spokesperson for Humana and the ad agency is in Portland so I have made that flight many times. My wife often accompanies me as she loves the Pacific Northwest and a few years ago we drove down to Bandon just to see the course and take in the Pacific Ocean drive. It is such a pleasurable trip down the coast and a few fresh seafood restaurants along the way are a nice bonus. So yea, it isn't a short trip but it sure is beautiful and peaceful.

... We walked the course until a ranger found us and politely asked us to get a tee time LOL. But I saw enough to know it is an absolute must play, something I am sure you will hear from those that have actually played there. To me it looked like Pacific Dunes was worth the trip alone and adding Bandon Dunes would just be a bonus. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Mike I've been twice and OTH is really the ticket. I know they have flights out of Denver now so maybe look at it that way. Can you leave the day before?

Anyway yes it is worth it and no you won't miss out skipping Trails. After a couple of looks at it I will skip it next time. Old Mac is fun and zany but if I'm pressed for time I would play both Pac and Bandon twice. It's a lot of walking but you're there for those two courses.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

So it seems that it is worth it which is what I figured the answer would be.  The real issue for me is getting home.  I got my wife and kids tickets to see Brad Paisley on the night of the 3rd and have also arranged a private meet and greet with Brad (cashed in a lot of favors for that one). that they don't know about.  If I dont make it home in time I may just call my attorney as there will be some papers waiting for me to sign.  I have figured out how to get out to Bandon with no issues it is just getting back that is the issue.  I can get a really early flight out on the 3rd that gets me home in time.....just barely. I can get out late on the 2nd but would have to miss playing Pacific Dunes and only get Bandon Dunes and Old McDonald which really does not seem to make the trip worth it.

WITB 2024

might try EUG airport... it's a bit of a longer drive (nowhere close to PDX) but they will have more flights in/out...

born/raised in OR and been to Bandon plenty of times (pre-Bandon Dunes) and I agree with chisag - the beauty of the OR coast rivals anything in the world and is worth it.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Look at Alaska Air. they have a flight leaving Eugene @7:30 pm on the 2nd that gets you to JFK @5:45 am, going through Sea-Tac... 

just a quick look, but it might help.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

So it seems that it is worth it which is what I figured the answer would be.  The real issue for me is getting home.  I got my wife and kids tickets to see Brad Paisley on the night of the 3rd and have also arranged a private meet and greet with Brad (cashed in a lot of favors for that one). that they don't know about.  If I dont make it home in time I may just call my attorney as there will be some papers waiting for me to sign.  I have figured out how to get out to Bandon with no issues it is just getting back that is the issue.  I can get a really early flight out on the 3rd that gets me home in time.....just barely. I can get out late on the 2nd but would have to miss playing Pacific Dunes and only get Bandon Dunes and Old McDonald which really does not seem to make the trip worth it.

Two words  Net Jets  :D

Seriusly how awesome is that to have the meet and greet with Brad Paisley.   I would love to play Bandon, but I don't know if I'd pass up a chance to meet Brad (especially if Kim is going to be there as well!!) I'm not one to usually get all smitten over celeb's but I'm a big fan of his.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So it seems that it is worth it which is what I figured the answer would be. The real issue for me is getting home. I got my wife and kids tickets to see Brad Paisley on the night of the 3rd and have also arranged a private meet and greet with Brad (cashed in a lot of favors for that one). that they don't know about. If I dont make it home in time I may just call my attorney as there will be some papers waiting for me to sign. I have figured out how to get out to Bandon with no issues it is just getting back that is the issue. I can get a really early flight out on the 3rd that gets me home in time.....just barely. I can get out late on the 2nd but would have to miss playing Pacific Dunes and only get Bandon Dunes and Old McDonald which really does not seem to make the trip worth it.

If you can't play Pacific don't go. This is a trip to be savored, not rushed through in 48 hours. Reschedule for when you and your crew can play 3-4 full days of golf.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

If you can't play Pacific don't go. This is a trip to be savored, not rushed through in 48 hours. Reschedule for when you and your crew can play 3-4 full days of golf.

I agree.  Plan a trip and take your time to play them all.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I do agree with gauss and Kenny, but if this is something that can't be rescheduled, go for it! I personally wouldn't want to miss out on even 1 or 2 rounds at Bandon. If at all possible, definitely try to fit in the trip and the concert. I am sure you don't want to be rushed, but hey, it's Bandon Dunes!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Another option is to fly into Eugene. It's about a 2 hour drive from there. United will fly you into north bend either through Denver or San Fran.

Trails is a great course. If you can make it happen, I would. It's a great compliment to the others.

The other answer to your question is yes, it is absolutely worth it. I've been a few times and would go back in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So I have decided that I am not going on this one. The trip would be a lot of travel for a short trip that should not be rushed. At best I play Old McDonald and Bandon while missing out on the other two. Maybe I can get out there next year.

WITB 2024

So I have decided that I am not going on this one. The trip would be a lot of travel for a short trip that should not be rushed. At best I play Old McDonald and Bandon while missing out on the other two. Maybe I can get out there next year.

I think you made a good decision quite frankly. I wouldn't go back if I couldn't play pacific. I could not play Old McDonald next time and be happy. I didn't get to play the Trails which I hear is much better. Also the par three course is a gas! You'll want to do that also. And... on top of it all; when you do go you want to take your time and really enjoy it.

Good call.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think you made the right call.  Why don't you head to Bandon for a few days on one of your trips to Vegas.  At least you are out west already.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think you made the right call. Why don't you head to Bandon for a few days on one of your trips to Vegas. At least you are out west already.

That is the plan or get a vendor to invite me at another time when I have a few days free.

WITB 2024

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, having played all of them during a visit in spring 2015, I have to say that while you're missing out not fitting them all in - I would certainly not miss trails out. In my opinion Trails ranks higher than old mac - I found the front 9 to be pretty weak in all honesty and while it does recover somewhat on the back I found trails to be much more memorable and to provide a sterner test.

Either way - have a great trip, and make sure you take in all there is to see and do while in the Pacific NW!

• 9 months later...

I received the Bandon Dunes "magazine" today in my inbox.  Some of you might also get it, but here is the link.  It is a promo, but has a lot of information about the courses.

http://www.epubxmag.com/i/980135-2018/0?m4=

Thanks Kenny for the link to Bandon. I just scrolled through the pages looking at the photos and remembering. I've only been once but it was quite the experience. This type of golf isn't my fav but...it's so unique and different that I appreciate it. Memories?... the golf courses. After that... the courses. Then there is the food. Excellent!!! I've said before I think; that I wouldn't return but today I'm thinking I would. It's such an interesting place and the golf is difficult. Like the turf. Especially putting. I think I read a small blurb in the magazine that you don't play for score. Maybe so. I know I didn't score all that well on the courses but it was one hell of a challenge to put it lightly.

Almost forgot... the par three course was a blast too and I played it pretty good I recall.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Good mag, the place is special for golfers.  I've been twice and probably going this year if I can work it out to get both son-in-laws there at the same time.     

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

... Has anyone played at Bandon with light winds? Or is it always screaming and that is all part of the experience? The day we walked the course it had to be 25+. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Has anyone played at Bandon with light winds? Or is it always screaming and that is all part of the experience? The day we walked the course it had to be 25+.

I have a friend who played two years in a row in perfect weather with little wind. Not sure how you get that lucky. But I guess it is missing a little of the true Bandon experience.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

The wind hasn't been too bad for me, it will probably be be windy most days.  My S I L and his dad played in 40-50 winds, they have stories about blowing their caddie down and such.  I have played in pouring rain, they gave me a waterproof score card that day.  But the pencil marks washed off it, all I can see is the impression of the pencil marks.  

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

When we were there we experienced all weather conditions.. except Wind! My group played in late May just before Memorial Day I recall. It was fitting that when we were driving in it was a sunny beautiful day. Than as we made our final turn leading directly to the courses it started getting foggy. Our first round was on Pacific and the day again was beautiful until we approached about midway into the back 9. Fog rolled in and the course became almost invisible. Later with a couple of holes left it lifted and the sun broke through. Made for an interesting round.

I'm glad we didn't experience the winds Bandon is so famous for. We did encounter a few instances where there was heavy mist or an occasional shower but all told I'd have to say the weather was very good.

One mistake I made playing Bandon was trying to play the courses like I'd play at home. Wrong! What would I do differently next time? Probably play the ball closer to the ground and take my caddie advice more often. We had good ones I thought and they knew what they were talking about. These courses play hard and fast. Or is that fast and hard?

Weather on the Oregon coast can be a crap shoot.  I grew up an hour away from Newport.  I've seen very nice days in December with no wind and I've seen lots of wind in mid-summer.  As they say, "It is what it is" and part of the experience.  I'm cheap though.  I can drive there in a day, and I will be looking for a calm 5 day forecast this winter and hope for the best.

• 5 weeks later...

Whatever the cost and effort, it's worth it. The Bandon group of courses is as good as it gets. It's an experience I'll never forget. Wind is great. I hit a 458 drive downwind over the green and a 165 yard driver straight into the teeth. I'd go back any time.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

Whatever the cost and effort, it's worth it. The Bandon group of courses is as good as it gets. It's an experience I'll never forget. Wind is great. I hit a 458 drive downwind over the green and a 165 yard driver straight into the teeth. I'd go back any time.

The wind is real at Bandon. But it adds to the experience. I have played #11 on Pacific with winds going each way. It's only 150 yards and I have used a 3 iron and a 56 wedge to reach it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

There are a few, flying into North Bend Oregon is the closest way, but the price is high looking at about $800.00 round trip from Portland.  The best best is to fly into Eugene Oregon rent a car and drive the 130 miles there.  Great drive through the mountains and down the coast.  Forgot to add, the flight from PDX to Eugene is about $200.00 plus bag fees round trip

JPX 923 Forged, Stiff Flex 2 Deg toe up

Ping Driver G-430 max

Ping G 430 3 wood, and hybrid

Right Handed

Portland Or

Handicap 9.3

Archived