Jmikecpa

Bandon Dunes Help

... Has anyone played at Bandon with light winds? Or is it always screaming and that is all part of the experience? The day we walked the course it had to be 25+. 

... Has anyone played at Bandon with light winds? Or is it always screaming and that is all part of the experience? The day we walked the course it had to be 25+.

I have a friend who played two years in a row in perfect weather with little wind. Not sure how you get that lucky. But I guess it is missing a little of the true Bandon experience.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The wind hasn't been too bad for me, it will probably be be windy most days.  My S I L and his dad played in 40-50 winds, they have stories about blowing their caddie down and such.  I have played in pouring rain, they gave me a waterproof score card that day.  But the pencil marks washed off it, all I can see is the impression of the pencil marks.  

• Like 1

When we were there we experienced all weather conditions.. except Wind! My group played in late May just before Memorial Day I recall. It was fitting that when we were driving in it was a sunny beautiful day. Than as we made our final turn leading directly to the courses it started getting foggy. Our first round was on Pacific and the day again was beautiful until we approached about midway into the back 9. Fog rolled in and the course became almost invisible. Later with a couple of holes left it lifted and the sun broke through. Made for an interesting round.

I'm glad we didn't experience the winds Bandon is so famous for. We did encounter a few instances where there was heavy mist or an occasional shower but all told I'd have to say the weather was very good.

One mistake I made playing Bandon was trying to play the courses like I'd play at home. Wrong! What would I do differently next time? Probably play the ball closer to the ground and take my caddie advice more often. We had good ones I thought and they knew what they were talking about. These courses play hard and fast. Or is that fast and hard?

• Like 1

Weather on the Oregon coast can be a crap shoot.  I grew up an hour away from Newport.  I've seen very nice days in December with no wind and I've seen lots of wind in mid-summer.  As they say, "It is what it is" and part of the experience.  I'm cheap though.  I can drive there in a day, and I will be looking for a calm 5 day forecast this winter and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Whatever the cost and effort, it’s worth it. The Bandon group of courses is as good as it gets. It’s an experience I’ll never forget. Wind is great. I hit a 458 drive downwind over the green and a 165 yard driver straight into the teeth. I’d go back any time.

Whatever the cost and effort, it’s worth it. The Bandon group of courses is as good as it gets. It’s an experience I’ll never forget. Wind is great. I hit a 458 drive downwind over the green and a 165 yard driver straight into the teeth. I’d go back any time.

The wind is real at Bandon. But it adds to the experience. I have played #11 on Pacific with winds going each way. It's only 150 yards and I have used a 3 iron and a 56 wedge to reach it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There are a few, flying into North Bend Oregon is the closest way, but the price is high looking at about $800.00 round trip from Portland.  The best best is to fly into Eugene Oregon rent a car and drive the 130 miles there.  Great drive through the mountains and down the coast.  Forgot to add, the flight from PDX to Eugene is about $200.00 plus bag fees round trip