TESTERS WANTED! ×

What golf ball do you play?

Was planning on playing today but the rain got the best of my afternoon. After sitting around reading through MGS (Just joined and very addicted) I've started to question the golf ball I play.

I played golf a ton in high school and just now getting back into it at the end of my college career. I shoot about 85 average from middle tees.

I currently play Bridgestone e6 soft and looking to try some new balls out. It's not that I really have anything to complain about the ball but I've been playing e6's for 6+ years now. I have never heard of Snell balls before joining this forum so definitely interested in ordering some of those to try. But with all the tests going on it's got me wanting to do a test of my own. What do you think I should put on my test list and what do you like about that ball?IMG_3501.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I was selected as one of the Vice Pro Plus testers, and I'm in a similar boat as you - looking for a new ball to play. I currently swap between Nike RZN Black/Platinum, and the regular Vice Pro. To test the Vice Pro+ I figured I'd put it head to head against the more expensive competition. Right now, I've decided on:

• Vice Pro+
  • TM TP5
  • Bridgestone B330s

We score around the same, it'd be interesting to see how you feel about the same balls if you're willing :)

If not, I HIGHLY recommend trying the Vice line. I'm honestly really impressed with the Vice Pro, and absolutely can't wait to try the plus.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I love the Snell MTB, very similar to a ProV1

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Srixon makes some quality balls, but Snell and Vice are great also, especially for the price. Personally, I work grounds at a country club so I play whatever I find (usually ProVs and Chrome Soft) and after testing the new e6 soft/speed, I think I prefer ProVs but usually lean toward Chrome Softs.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I'm a big srixon fan. They make some really good balls and have a ball to meet anyone's needs I find.

I've had a lot of success with the q star tour this year.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Wilson staff Duo or the Duo urethane. I've been using the Duo's all year they perform as well as anything I've ever used.

Nike Vapor Fly Pro- Diamana Red

TEE E8 beta 3 & 5 wood- Rogue Black

Taylormade Rocketballs 17* driving iron- Aldila RIP

Ping I20 5-U

Taylormade EF 56 & 62

Nike Method Mod 90

Bag- OUUL Python waterproof stand Grey/Lime

Ball- Srixon Q Star

I got a sleeve of Costco's Kirkland signature balls from a friend on the forum and loved those but I also like Bridgestone's b330-rxs model a bunch so until I decide on a clear cut favorite I use both.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Currently playing ChromeSofts until I run out. I think I will end up giving those new MaxFli balls a go. I'm curious to see if they're worth it.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Been gaming Chrome Softs since they came out but am currently testing the Srixon Q Star Tour and it might knock the Chrome Soft out of my bag.

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

Posted before but anyway

Check Dick's S.G. Maxfli U6, there is 3 types. It a urethane ball. Buddy just picked some up last week, 2dz for $35.

Did he say whether or not he liked them?

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Anything Urethane - figure out if you're an X or not type guy and from there it really doesn't matter except that you pick one and stick with it because they are each a tad different.

Don't go for non Urethane covered ball though if you want to have a full array of short game shots available to you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been playing Srixon Z Star for years now. I've tried a few other Urethane balls, but keep coming back to the Z stars. I'm happy to play previous years models, as the difference is minimal and great deals on multi dozen buys makes them much more affordable than Pro V's.

The fact that I score better with the Zstar than any other ball I've tried keeps me going back to them. It may all be mental, but if it's not broke, why fix it.

I think it's important to use a ball for extended periods, and not chop and change all the time. This gives a chance to work out what the ball will do under different conditions and on different shots.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Today I played a Taylormade Project (a) .....one ball, the entire round.....I like it!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I play on a course with ball-eating trouble on every hole, so I usually play the best budget ball I can find. That has been the Wilson Zip for the last 2 seasons. Decent ball, nothing more, nothing less.

Just ordered the new Laddie Extreme balls made by Bridgestone, will try them over the weekend.

Have played SrixonZ stars, ProVs, B330s, Chrome softs, NXTs, and most recently the Volvik Vivid. Of these, the Vivid impressed me the most off the tee and around the green.

With all that being said, I will continue to play the budget balls until my budget and ball striking allow for the higher end options.

I've always played Titleist ProV1s, but this year I decided to try out some different balls to hopefully find a lower cost alternative.  I bought one of those sampler packs from Vice Golf and I absolutely loved the Pro Plus. Before I could pull the trigger on them I was able to buy the Costco Kirkland Signature golf balls. I like the Vice ball better than the Kirkland, but it was negligible and the cost savings on the Kirkland ball was too great to pass up. So now I'm playing the Kirkland ball until I go through 4 dozen of them. 

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

While testing the Ping i200s, I decided to channel my inner Bubba and picked up a sleeve of Volviks (the matte, pink balls) and discovered... that they play just as well as other urethane balls and they're crazy bright pink so I find them really fast! They play on par with the B330S that I used to game for both distance and control and not only do I never lose balls but my search time for balls in the rough is about a quarter of what it used to be. These things just pop. I recommend giving them a shot! 

Bonus, they're a bit cheaper than ProV1s or B330s, about the same as the B330RXS

PS - The only issue I have with them is wear. Since I never lose these things, I really need to inspect the ball for wear. The matte finish also hides cuts and scuffs better than gloss so you have to keep an eye out.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

All my balls are refurbished. The AAAA quality is fine for me because they're unblemished and the logos are an easy way to distinguish my ball.

Right now I'm playing these:

Pro V1 if my swing is feeling good and I'm ready to score low

Hex Chrome if I need to straighten it out a bit

Z star if I need to get my recovery game a boost

I can usually tell on the range what ball I'll be taking to the course with me

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I probably switch balls more than I should. Right now I am really enjoy the Titlest TruSoft DT and the Bridgestone e6 Soft. I also play the B330RX and Chrome Soft a lot, but losing those make my wallet cry everytime.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Played a Pro V1 today and shot 85

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a Titleist Pro-V1  guy ever since they were introduced, but I've been experimenting of late. I've played the Snell MTB and the Taylormade TP5X so far. I like them both around the greens.  Interestingly, even though I'm a senior with a slower swing speed (85+ mph) I've been getting more distance off the tee with the TP5X. I've bought a dozen of the TM TP5s to try next. I also plan on trying the Callaway Chrome Soft and CSX too. Chipping and putting are my strengths so I like a urethane tour type ball. However,  as I get older more distance from the tee will help too. My plan is to settle on one ball in the next month or so.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough