Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What golf ball do you play?

This summer I have been experimenting with several balls......Chrome Soft, TP5, ProV1, Maxfli SoftFli, VP Soft, Kick X Tour, and many others. My game has been in the slumps lately and I have been reaching for ways to right it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have around 25 rounds under my belt this year and have tried q star tour, snell mtb, z star, duo, duo u, gamer soft, gamer, chrome soft and e6 speed. At the end of the day 20 rounds shooting 85-95 and 5 rounds shooting 79-82. All low rounds were with the e6 speed. I want a ball that stops on the greens and it doesn't, I want a ball I can shape off the tee and it doesn't but damn for whatever reason I just score better with that ball than anything else. I guess Bridgestone is right when they say their 3,000,000 ball fittings are why they created the e6 for guys like me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That is why they make different balls. Now me I can spin any ball even a range rock because of my cut swing and the soft tipping on my iron shafts except the wedges which I have S-400s in. I can spin the E6 fine but it is one of those aerodynamically tricked up balls and I can not work the cut at all with it. I know this sounds funny but that ball goes too straight for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I may have to try the chrome soft again. Bought a two pack at a tourney earlier in the year and liked them. I keep flip flopping on if I prefer a softer ball, or a firmer one. Right now I kinda feel the Z star is right in the middle.

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

I've been playing Pro V1 forever, but a couple of weeks ago I was given a box of TP5x and am really liking them. I don't know if I will switch but they make a good case for themselves.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

What is the appeal of a soft feeling ball? Especially off of the putter. I've always liked a firm feel with the putter. Don't like soft inserts it a soft feeling ball.

Have tried the VP+ lately. Great until I get on the green. The softness makes it hard for me to dial in my feel and distance control.

I'm gaming the Pro V1x. Luckily bought four dozen for the price of three, but the supply is low.

What is firmest feeling of the niche balls? I'm not a fan of the high prices of the Tour balls. Was hoping the VP+ was the one, but the putting softness is a deal breaker.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is the appeal of a soft feeling ball? Especially off of the putter. I've always liked a firm feel with the putter. Don't like soft inserts it a soft feeling ball.

Have tried the VP+ lately. Great until I get on the green. The softness makes it hard for me to dial in my feel and distance control.

I'm gaming the Pro V1x. Luckily bought four dozen for the price of three, but the supply is low.

What is firmest feeling of the niche balls? I'm not a fan of the high prices of the Tour balls. Was hoping the VP+ was the one, but the putting softness is a deal breaker.

... Feel is subjective. Those of us that started the game with a balata ball developed our feel with a very soft ball. For me at least, a harder ball has no compression feel at the low speed of a putter, so a 3 foot putt or a 30 foot putt feels the same. Not so with a medium soft ball like the Vice Pro+. Firmest urethane covered ball I have ever putted is the Maxfli U/6 TourX.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Feel is subjective. Those of us that started the game with a balata ball developed our feel with a very soft ball. For me at least, a harder ball has no compression feel at the low speed of a putter, so a 3 foot putt or a 30 foot putt feels the same. Not so with a medium soft ball like the Vice Pro+. Firmest urethane covered ball I have ever putted is the Maxfli U/6 TourX.

I grew up playing balata too and don't agree at all. Putting with the Pings, Bullseyes and Wilson 8802, everything felt the same. My preference for a harder feel is likely based in playing 90 and 100 compression balls, my opinion would be 180* opposite.

I grew up playing balata too and don't agree at all. Putting with the Pings, Bullseyes and Wilson 8802, everything felt the same. My preference for a harder feel is likely based in playing 90 and 100 compression balls, my opinion would be 180* opposite.

... LOL, you disagree that feel is subjective? I think you just proved my point.  :rolleyes:  You asked what was the appeal of a soft ball and I responded. I get no feel from a hard ball and you get no feel from a soft ball. 

Feel is totally subjective. Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

I like the hard seats in my VW but my wife prefers the soft seats in her Toyota.

Sure, some golf balls are built for different swing speeds and types but within those groupings, there's still decisions to be made on feel.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

... LOL, you disagree that feel is subjective? I think you just proved my point. :rolleyes: You asked what was the appeal of a soft ball and I responded. I get no feel from a hard ball and you get no feel form a soft ball.

I disagree with you thinking I'm a young guy and don't know what balata feels like. Not a fan of people making the, "In my day, we walked uphill both ways to school" argument.

You aren't understanding my point. I should have said feedback, instead of feel. Soft balls and inserts feel like marshmallows to me and make it hard to figure out if I mishit or misread the putt, or shot. Clearly some people get more out of a mushy impact. My point is not that we should all play Molitors or Kro-Flites.

I disagree with you thinking I'm a young guy and don't know what balata feels like. Not a fan of people making the, "In my day, we walked uphill both ways to school" argument.

You aren't understanding my point. I should have said feedback, instead of feel. Soft balls and inserts feel like marshmallows to me and make it hard to figure out if I mishit or misread the putt, or shot. Clearly some people get more out of a mushy impact. My point is not that we should all play Molitors or Kro-Flites.

... Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? All we had were soft balata balls and that is how we honed our feel. I am not suggesting that was set in stone as feel can change with the equipment or just simply change. I know people that prefer a hard "feedback" ball off the putter and those that prefer a soft "feedback" off the putter. Hence it is subjective. You are simply making assumptions that were not made about your age. I had no idea how old you are and was just answering the query you posited "What is the appeal of a soft feeling ball? Especially off of the putter."

... And fwiw, I walked 1/2 block to school on level ground until the 5th grade and then I took a bus.  B)

For those using the TP5s, what is your swing speed? Mine with driver is 95-98 mph, so I have been thinking that I will stick with the Zstar, or try either the B330rx, chrome soft, or qstar tour. Just seems like a lot of options, and a lot of money

I've been alternating between the ProVX and Z Star this year. Right now I've won my first two playoff matches with the Z STAR. So that's what I'm going with for now.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

For those using the TP5s, what is your swing speed? Mine with driver is 95-98 mph, so I have been thinking that I will stick with the Zstar, or try either the B330rx, chrome soft, or qstar tour. Just seems like a lot of options, and a lot of money

... I am guessing you meant TP5x. I have a swing speed right around 100mph and absolutely love the Srixon Z Star and still play it from time to time. But for me, the TP5x is longer off mid to long irons as well as off the tee and at age 64 I can't turn down some additional yardage. For my game, the TP5x is the best ball I have played. Fwiw, I do not find additional yardage with the TP5.

Thanks Chisag! I used to play the TP blacks, but my swing was faster also. Might have to find a sleeve of the TP5xs. Ugh, instead of narrowing down options, I am adding.

That is why they make different balls. Now me I can spin any ball even a range rock because of my cut swing and the soft tipping on my iron shafts except the wedges which I have S-400s in. I can spin the E6 fine but it is one of those aerodynamically tricked up balls and I can not work the cut at all with it. I know this sounds funny but that ball goes too straight for me

I completely agree about the E6.  My dad plays that ball because its the cheapest in the store, and he plays golf occasionally just to play with me.  The other day I accidentally grabbed the E6 from his side of the cart, and realized only once I teed it up.  It was straight into a good wind, and I hit my 2 iron off the tee.  When I hit it it felt like a marshmallow off of the club face, and I left the club face a little open, so I thought for sure it was going to balloon straight up, but then I looked up, and it looked like a knuckleball kind of almost bouncing through the air.  It carried 235 into the wind, 30 yards farther than I was expecting.  I was completely bewildered because that wind had been killing me all day, and that was the only shot I hit close to my normal carry distance into it.   

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Very correct. that may be why I never liked a Bulls Eye putter back in the balata days too soft. Back in those days I putted some with a Mac IM-5 then switched to Ping. I guess on your synopsis I would be middle of the road for someone who started on balata. Now today I do not like an insert putter with the one exception of the older TM AGSI in an older Rosa Daytona I have. I do not like softer wedges aka Miura or Mizuno. Really as "hard " as they are compared to balata I like both Pro Vs for some reason.

Those Maxfli U/6 balls you mentioned a friend of mine bought a boat load of them cheap at DSG. He gave me a sleeve for some reason I spin the crap out of them and was "hairing" them up even with a half worn out Wilson 65* JP wedge. I actually spun them too much with the driver. For me nothing putts like a Titleist. But as you correctly stated "subjective" or in plain language "different strokes for different folks"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Balatas used to terrify me, one miss hit and they would smile their disdain at you!!

I am liking the TP5X and the Oncore Elixir. I want to try the chrome soft next.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

All my balls are refurbished. The AAAA quality is fine for me because they're unblemished and the logos are an easy way to distinguish my ball.

Right now I'm playing these:

Pro V1 if my swing is feeling good and I'm ready to score low

Hex Chrome if I need to straighten it out a bit

Z star if I need to get my recovery game a boost

I can usually tell on the range what ball I'll be taking to the course with me

Where do you purchase your refurbished golf balls from?

Driver:  :taylormade-small: 2017 M1 Driver 10.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: 2017 M1  15* Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0

3 Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: 2017 M1  3 Hybrid

Irons:  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) w/ KBS C-Taper Lite Regular shafts

Wedges:  Mizuno T7 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter:  Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select Newport 2

Where do you purchase your refurbished golf balls from?

Lostgolfballs.com

To get free shipping, I'll usually get 3 buckets of 3 different types and go in with 2 other guys to share the cost. You come out of it with 48 quality balls of different types for under $40

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Tried the B330RXS today, don't launch as fast as the Project a does, but was an all around good ball.

Will play another 18 with it again.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

... I am guessing you meant TP5x. I have a swing speed right around 100mph and absolutely love the Srixon Z Star and still play it from time to time. But for me, the TP5x is longer off mid to long irons as well as off the tee and at age 64 I can't turn down some additional yardage. For my game, the TP5x is the best ball I have played. Fwiw, I do not find additional yardage with the TP5.

Sounds like I need to give these a try when my inventory of zstars runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

So, for the past two years I've been playing the older Maxfli U6 LC, with the triangle dimples inside the regular dimples. That ball is fantastic and I got a great deal on personalized dozens from Golfworks, 4 dozen for $60. Here's the problem, while working at Dick's I tried the newer Maxfli U6 and wasn't a huge fan.

So, I've been experimenting with some balls this summer. I still have quite a few of the Maxflis, but I'm really liking the Srixon Q-Star Tour. I also got a sleeve of 2016 Chrome Softs that I've been ok with, but the price difference it's gotta be the Srixons once those Maxflis runs out. I used to be a huge Srixon loyalist so I'm really happy that I can continue to support one of my favorite companies with a super high quality and affordable ball.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Callaway Chromesoft is what im playing right now though I'm thinking of making the switch back to my NXT Tours. I do like playing Pro V1s like everyone. Also have played the Srixon Softfeels which arent bad.

Really depends on how those 85's are happening.

If you are a solid contact guy 105ish plus I would really suggest a Taylormade tour preferred or the new TP5 (x if you are a lower flight guy) or Bridgestone B330S.

If you are a bit lower than that I think both of those balls can really still help snag a couple extra yards. But if you are lower or average swing speed I would try the Callaway Chromsoft. Decent price & overall great feel.

If shaping confidently isn't quite there yet would say try an NXT tour.

So many golf balls niches but that's why it's a blast!

Also a great place in Kansas City called Golf Ball Pauls has great deals on balls found and cleaned but not recoated at all. Mark by quality as well. Prices are generally half. Got 50 Taylormade tour preferred X's for $60 with tax. (considered double rather than triple A grade)