What golf ball do you play?

Our Sponsors

I still consider myself a free agent as far a golf balls are concerned. There's 4 dozen balls in my garage of all different types as I'm trying to figure out which is best for me so I can make a 100% switch.

Due to all the comments on TP5x, I got a dozen with a Christmas gift card. I hadn't played anything in the "X" category yet so this was my first experience with a firmer ball.

I loved that feel when I chipped and putted all winter but am not crazy about it now that I'm taking full swings. It just feels like I'm hitting everything thin (which I'm not). I suppose I just need to play it a little more to develop feel, but I'm having a hard time controlling them around the green. Have even had a few well-hit chips refuse to throw the brakes on and continue to roll off the green. By all intents and purposes, the TP5x should be a good fit for me but it's not proving to be true. Still have 10 left so I'll keep giving it chances.

Starting to feel like ChromeSoft is going to end up as my go-to ball. I just simply play my best golf with it.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been playing Srixon Z Star for years now. I've tried a few other Urethane balls, but keep coming back to the Z stars. I'm happy to play previous years models, as the difference is minimal and gre

Oops, he got me the cheapies, not Tour. I got him a sleeve of ProV1 for his birthday. Next year he gets Top Flight!    Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

... Not challenging you, just using the above statement as a starting point. I know this is a mantra on MGS reviews but I have never bought into their anti hype which turns into MGS hype at times*. I

Posted Images

The difference in the wind between the TP5x and the Snell MTB Red is staggering. Heck, I think the original MTB performed better in the wind than the MTB Red. Almost interested in trying the MTB black but instead I just ordered 3 dozen more tp5x

Pay the shipping and I'll send you a sleeve of the blacks - I like the red better

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50 Mid | 54 Full S-grind | 58 Low Relief Grind Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

I am currently trying to decide on Z-Star or Z-Star XV's. Last weeks rounds were all XV's and I seem to get more distance out of them, at the expense of more roll on the greens. Our greens are very hard and not to receptive. 

This week the Z-Stars are getting gamed. I was previously using Chrome Soft, in my opinion the XV are a better ball for me. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

• 1 month later...

Greatly enjoying the Bridgestone B RX. This ball, oddly enough was under my radar. Plays similar to a pro 1x lite, but with pro v1 trajectory. Ample spin, good, moderate click and had made my game just a bit more competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2019
Driver: Ping G30 10.5* w/ Tour 65 Stiff 

FW: Ping G30 14.5 & 18 w/ Ping Tour 80 Stiff

HY: Ping  G30 19* OR 22* w/ Ping Tour 90 Stiff

Irons: Callaway Xhot Pro 5i-PW w/ PX Flighted 6.0

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*,60*

Putter: Ping My Day OR Ping Anser 3

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Srixon Zstar/XV

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

I am currently trying to decide on Z-Star or Z-Star XV's. Last weeks rounds were all XV's and I seem to get more distance out of them, at the expense of more roll on the greens. Our greens are very hard and not to receptive.

This week the Z-Stars are getting gamed. I was previously using Chrome Soft, in my opinion the XV are a better ball for me.

Plus you can get the Stars at $20 now!

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I like the Snell MTB and the Callaway Chromesoft. I buy them used off of eBay and the Chromesoft is usually less expensive

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

What can I say, I'm an old man (69) and old habits die hard. Have played Titleist for decades. Velocity for several years, Pro V1x the last 3; extra spin has made a big difference from 100 yards in. I'm very brand loyal until I encounter something demonstrably better. Our pro sells Pro Vs for $38 at the end of each season and I usually buy 5 or 6 dozen then.

Working my way through the last of my E6 Softs I got for Christmas, then on to the Snell MTB Black ;)

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I tried the AVX against the TP5X today and I was impressed.

The AVX was longer, straighter, and had just as much spin as the 5x around the greens. Next step will be against the V1x.

The only downside was the AVX wasn't as white as the 5x or Srixon.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

Having tried a lot of different golf balls I've settled on the taylormade tp5. Found the x a little too clicky off the putter and spin was a lot less with pitch/chips. I find them great for consistent distance control and better than any ball I've tried into the wind. I can't fault them

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Driver 9* aldila rogue max x flex

Taylormade R15 3 wood HL speeder 77 x flex

Taylormade M1 (2016) 21* hybrid x flex

Callaway Apex CF 16s 4-PW KBS TOUR C taper 130g x flex

John letters wedges (52,56,60)

Taylormade Tour black Monte Carlo 34" with superstroke 3.0 counter balance

7 handicap

Going to give the standard zstar and MTB black a chance to dethrone the TP5x

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

... Good luck with that.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

I ordered 2 dozen XV just because they're $20 a dozen. We'll see how they perform. I did like hearing the TXG guys say good things about the XVs in one of their videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I ordered 2 dozen XV just because they're $20 a dozen. We'll see how they perform. I did like hearing the TXG guys say good things about the XVs in one of their videos.

... As I said in another thread the ZStar was my favorite ball before finding the TP5x. With a 100 mph driver swing the XV was a little too firm for me and I did not compress it as well as the ZStar but for those with a little higher club head speed it is just a crazy good ball. And for $20 I think it is a steal. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

... As I said in another thread the ZStar was my favorite ball before finding the TP5x. With a 100 mph driver swing the XV was a little too firm for me and I did not compress it as well as the ZStar but for those with a little higher club head speed it is just a crazy good ball. And for $20 I think it is a steal.

I used to love the zstar xv but even at my 110mph it just feels too firm. That's why I'm giving the standard zstar a shot.
  • Like 4

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Give Forte balls a try and the callaway chrome soft take some beating, srixon ad333 tour are great balls too

Back in 2017, I got sent a 2-ball trial pack by Forte for a few of their models - Apex 6, SS3, Tour Performance S & their Prototype (now the Tour Trajectory).

The Apex 6 performed extremely well on the course - long enough off the tee, spun heaps off approach shots & chips, but felt very firm off the club face.

Tour Performance S was brilliant - awesome around the greens, off the tee, and felt great. 

SS3 was okay, but it's meant for someone needing a distance ball (think Srixon Distance). My grandfather enjoyed the ball though.

It's great that all these "guerilla" ball companies (Peter Finch coined the term) have started producing some awesome balls - Snell MTB, Vice Pro, etc. This means that you don't have to pay premium for a Pro V1-esque ball!

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X

The K-Sig 4 layer has knocked the Pro V1x out of the bag until I lose them all. I have a trial sleeve of OnCore Elixrs that I'm looking forward to trying out.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

All I can say is I'm willing to bet it isn't as hard as the Chrome Soft Xs I have! Those things are ROCKS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Having tried a lot of different golf balls I've settled on the taylormade tp5. Found the x a little too clicky off the putter and spin was a lot less with pitch/chips. I find them great for consistent distance control and better than any ball I've tried into the wind. I can't fault them

Just started using TP5X and found they scuff up more than my Pro V1X. 

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy