What golf ball do you play?

What aspects of the ball are appealing to you, besides the price! Although that's a good starter.

I thought I heard they get torn up pretty quickly.

Do they turn well?

Do they hold greens well?

Are they soft off the face?

Do they putt well?

Are they longer than normal?

Good stuff. I hope to answer as accurately as I can for ya.

Durability is actually an asset with the Snell balls. I tested the MTB Red for MGS and beat the snot out of mine with favorable results. Recently playing with the Black, I've also pounded 'em through the ringer as only a high HC'er can; trees, cart paths, deserts, culverts, you name it. If I could find it, it was still in good shape.

Turn? I'm speculating here, but assume you are referring to shot-shape. I really cannot speak to that as my skills at purposely creating a power fade or a draw is something I am working on, but when it happens, this ball performs.

Hold greens? Yes indeed. Wedge play with these is really fun. Good high spin and predictable. With longer approaches (up to 7i) I've also had great luck holding on when I hit the green-rare, but occasionally. These surprise me more often than not when I'm on target.

Soft? Absolutely. Perhaps not as soft as my former E6's, but definitely softer than the Reds or even a PV1. When I hit one on the screws I can tell I've compressed it and it usually turns out to be a decent shot. Pleasant sounding too...

Putt well? TBD. :unsure: My putting has been off for a bit lately so this is hard for me to answer. I'd say these are "OK" in this respect for now. I do like their sound off the putter face and they do roll nice and true for sure. If anything right now, I'd say they roll easier and maybe longer than my E6's did for some reason.

Longer? Not for me really. At least not noticeably. I'd say they are about the same for me as the E6 and for sure shorter that the Red by at least 15-20 yards or so. I was willing to give up the distance gained for the accuracy and better wind control properties the Black has for me.

In summary, I like the Snell MTB Black for it's durability, playability, green holding qualities, performance in the wind and, well the price. I feel I have a ball that is on par (or better) than a "premium" offering from a "premium" company. I still lose quite a few balls with the way I play (haphazardly.. :wacko:) so economics plays a key roll for me. But I still want a good golf ball to do the job when I do mine and if I were playing with a lesser quality ball I would maybe put part my blame for crummy performances onto it. I simply do not want that factor. The Snell MTB Black fits the bill for me-Premium ball hat performs at an economical price.

Hope this helps Sluggo! (And sorry to others if I hijacked the thread... :ph34r:) Cheers all!

• Like 2

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been playing Srixon Z Star for years now. I've tried a few other Urethane balls, but keep coming back to the Z stars. I'm happy to play previous years models, as the difference is minimal and gre

Oops, he got me the cheapies, not Tour. I got him a sleeve of ProV1 for his birthday. Next year he gets Top Flight![emoji16]    Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

... Not challenging you, just using the above statement as a starting point. I know this is a mantra on MGS reviews but I have never bought into their anti hype which turns into MGS hype at times*. I

Posted Images

Putting some old stock back into play has been the best impulse decision I've ever made for my game.

Previous PB was +1, reached 5 or 6 times. Maybe even more... so infuriating.

Very first full round with the new-old ball obliterated that score as I shot -4 (68). In the next 4 rounds I also went -1 and even par. So that made 3 of 5 that beat my previous PB. What???

The ball? Taylor Made TP Red LDP.

After procuring more from Europe (yes I did!), I now have 5 dozen, good for a spell.

Dean Snell was a TM engineer who's fingerprints are all over the TP Red LDP. Once I run through them (if I can resist the urge to hunt for more, that is), I'll have to give the Snell MTB Red a go.

• Like 1

Just shot the low round of my life with a [emoji769]Project a.... thinking I may be making the switch from NXT Tour, especially since they discontinued them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I was a ProV1 guy for years.  When they started having having durabuility issues a few years ago I started experimenting with other balls.
Went to the Bridgestone B330s and liked them a lot.
Used the B330RX and liked the feel of them even more.
Now I play the Callaway Chrome Soft and absolutely love them.
Played a round with the Titleist AVX and didn't care for them.  Just tried the TM TP5 last week and liked them, especially in the wind.  Might give them another try this weekend.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

... I am guessing a combination of both. TP5x is one of, if not the best wind ball I have played. I remember the first time I played the Lethal in he wind an hit a knockdown 5 iron and after contact thought it would not carry the bunker, but it did with ease. I have been playing them ever since and the TP5x is the best version yet. Excellent green side control too. For me, the Chrome Soft does not spin as well around the green, although not a night and day difference. But as jlukes said, high swing speeds reap more benefits from the TP5x as it launches higher and really carries. For slower swing speeds I can see where the Chrome Soft would be longer and it is a great wind ball too.

I'm interested in that both you and Jukes like the tp5x so much.

Jukes swings faster than us, I'm 100-105, like you.

A few years ago I reviewed the z-star, and knew nothing about them, but was quite surprised at how well I liked them. I can't recall from 4-5 years ago what all I said, but I seem to remember them being good.

I've now been on a 2 month roll with last years chromes, and I do like them a lot. They do everything well, and are pretty nice feeling. (Reference- my buddy begged me to play a duo-soft last week, and man, what a marshmallow!)

Now I've played a tp5 before and thought it was up to snuff with the “good balls” but I thought they scuffed too easily..

Now that I've got a solid reference point with my long stretch of the chromes, what do you think I'd find with playing a tp5x? Just a little more distance? Are they more scuff resistant? (A stiff wedge would scrape the finish it seemed)

Anyways, thanks for the thoughts guys...

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I love my Pro V1s but found a couple dozen new and used Bridgestones B330 S at Goodwill Im kind of liking. Id play the AVzx but never find them and not willing to pay 45 buckd or whatever they are.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Currently playing some Nike RZN's. Like the feel of the ball throughout the bag and has a decent amount of control for what I'm capable of. 

WITB

Titleist 913 D3 Grafalloy blue 2013 stiff shaft
Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft 
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff 
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
Callaway mack daddy 2 54/14s KBS tour-v 110
Callaway mack daddy 2 58/10s KBS tour-v 110

Rife 460 Tour Blade/Odyssey White Ice No. 7

Handicap - 18.1

Home club
 - www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk/

I'm interested in that both you and Jukes like the tp5x so much.

Jukes swings faster than us, I'm 100-105, like you.

A few years ago I reviewed the z-star, and knew nothing about them, but was quite surprised at how well I liked them. I can't recall from 4-5 years ago what all I said, but I seem to remember them being good.

I've now been on a 2 month roll with last years chromes, and I do like them a lot. They do everything well, and are pretty nice feeling. (Reference- my buddy begged me to play a duo-soft last week, and man, what a marshmallow!)

Now I've played a tp5 before and thought it was up to snuff with the “good balls” but I thought they scuffed too easily..

Now that I've got a solid reference point with my long stretch of the chromes, what do you think I'd find with playing a tp5x? Just a little more distance? Are they more scuff resistant? (A stiff wedge would scrape the finish it seemed)

Anyways, thanks for the thoughts guys...

... I think I have posted several times I don't really find much difference in premium urethane cover balls. Of course I have some personal preference mostly concerning feel, but as far as just performance is concerned they all play very similar for me. The TP5x is the slight exception as it spins a little less off longer irons and woods (5-7yds)  with a slightly higher trajectory, a great combination for longer shots as well as a good wind ball off the tee and long irons. With the mid/short irons/wedges and around the green the TP5x performs like most other urethane covered balls. I have not noticed any more scuffing with the TP5x than any of the other balls I have played this summer. That includes the Cut Blue, Kirkland Signature, Chrome Soft and Chrome Tours. 

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I might get some smirks however the ball I recently put in play (Topflight D2 Feel) is surprisingly good! IMO it's the boss dawg of the lower priced balls. Great feel off driver, irons, and putter and Dicks always runs a good sale on them. Don't laugh until you try em. They are legit 🏌️⛳️

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

Ordered 6 dozen AVX and yesterday I picked-up the three I ordered from my local course (yellow), with three on the way from Discount Dan's (white). I REALLY like these balls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

I might get some smirks however the ball I recently put in play (Topflight D2 Feel) is surprisingly good! IMO it's the boss dawg of the lower priced balls. Great feel off driver, irons, and putter and Dicks always runs a good sale on them. Don't laugh until you try em. They are legit 🏌️⛳️

You messen with us[emoji848]

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Giving these a try. Seem to be a big hit with the old farts hereIMG_2670.JPG

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

You messen with us[emoji848]

No sir.   I'm serious as a Beagle hound in a baying contest!   They had them on sale at Dicks so I said what da heck and picked up a couple of 15 ball packs. They may not spend all the way back like a top tier ball however they have plenty of one hop and stop action.  Plus they feel awesome off the putter face.    Just saying these dawgs hunt!

• Like 2

Ping

No sir. I'm serious as a Beagle hound in a baying contest! They had them on sale at Dicks so I said what da heck and picked up a couple of 15 ball packs. They may not spend all the way back like a top tier ball however they have plenty of one hop and stop action. Plus they feel awesome off the putter face. Just saying these dawgs hunt!

Can't argue with a Beagle! Thanks again.

I always was a Bluetick Guy.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Can't argue with a Beagle! Thanks again.

I always was a Bluetick Guy.

haha you'll alright buddy.. lol     Promise me if ya find one of these Topflight balls and it has "Feel" on it, you'll not chunk it in the pond and at the least give it a hole or two test.  I'm betting you'll have that "oh shat looky here what I found" look on your face.  ;)

• Like 2

Ping

haha you'll alright buddy.. lol Promise me if ya find one of these Topflight balls and it has "Feel" on it, you'll not chunk it in the pond and at the least give it a hole or two test. I'm betting you'll have that "oh shat looky here what I found" look on your face. ;)

If I find one I will try it.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Giving these a try. Seem to be a big hit with the old farts hereattachicon.gif IMG_2670.JPG

These are good balls but switched to ole grays new ball of choice and love‘ em.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

haha you'll alright buddy.. lol     Promise me if ya find one of these Topflight balls and it has "Feel" on it, you'll not chunk it in the pond and at the least give it a hole or two test.  I'm betting you'll have that "oh shat looky here what I found" look on your face.  ;)

... Have you tried the TopFlite Gamer Urethane? I have tried so many balls this summer and have enough to last a lifetime. Picking up 4 dozen Cut Blue, MTB, Performance +, and my favorites the TP5x along with 4 dozen Chrome Soft Tours from MG. So I am not gonna pick up more balls but I am tempted at $17.99 for 2 dozen or the crazy price of $11.99 a dozen if you buy 5 dozen at Dicks. 

• Like 4

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)