Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

2017 Taylormade M1 and M2 Woods

After a search, I didn't see a thread on this and thought it'd be good to have some where to talk about both lines of woods.

I have the 2016 M2 5w and 3w. Having been so impressed with those, I just picked up the 2017 M2 driver with the HZRDS Yellow shaft.

I'm still waiting for the Yellow to come in, but have played it with a Diamana Ka'li shaft and thus far have seen spectacular results. The driver head is on the larger side yet frames the ball extremely well. The forgiveness I've seen thus far allowed me to hit every fairway during my league match this week, many of them further along the fairway than I've been in the past.

To me it's lower spinning than my XR 16, but with more forgiveness accuracy and distance wise. The lower spin results in a lot more roll out that I'm accustomed to, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed the SLDR so much. Where the SLDR was bad for me was on misses, the ball would stay in but not go any where. With the XR16, mis hits would go further to the sides but saw little roll out on any shot, so many shots stayed in play and were further along the hole than the SLDR. The M2 seems to be a happy mixture of getting distance and keeping the ball in play more of the time than the other two with a lot more distance on well hit shots, which also happens more of the time.

The ball flight is my favorite aspect of the driver. I have it set at 10* and it's a mid high flight that runs out a lot. It's been easy for me to get a slight draw. All that with no big misses yet, so am really impressed with the performance.

I've tried the 3 wood and 3 hybrid and am likewise intrigued by them. The hybrid may have to happen soon.

Let us know any and all thoughts on this line by TM that I believe are some of the best offerings by any OEM in years.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Yeah. I'm kinda surprised there isn't a thread on them. I haven't tried either one this year, which is a shock in of itself. Ha

But I have heard great things about the 2017 M2

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I really need to go to Golf Galaxy or something and do my own little driver shoot out. I want to upgrade my driver and I haven't hit the M1 or M2

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

The 2017 M2 Driver is a monster for me. When the red tie shaft I got selected to test gets here it could get even better. I know the Epic gets all the hype on the interwebz but the M2 is legit. The last TM Driver I had was the r580 and I feel like I have been missing out. Anyone looking for a new driver would be doing themselves a disservice if the M2 wasn't at least given a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I had a 2016 M2 with a Kiyoshi White shaft and it was sort of OK. Not the best combo for me. Tried an Epic with a Hzrdus Yellow shaft and it was very nice, long but not all that straight. Got fit into a 2017 M1 with an AD GP6 shaft and it's been a game changer.

Read so much about the 440 head being so hard to hit and unforgiving but for me it's anything but. I struggle with the larger heads and thick offset top lines on irons. My impact marks on this driver face are 30% tighter than with the larger heads. It has a great sound, I can work it either way, misses have gone plenty far and dispersion is probably 50% better then the Epic was. Love the mid flight and get a nice roll out.

I was looking at the top 10 longest hitters on tour the other day and 6 of them are playing an M driver. Only one Epic on the list. I think it's a case of something else new that everyone thinks they need to try but for me the 2017 M1 is a better all around driver.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Looks like a victory for the M2 today in West Virginia.

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

I would probably have an M2 in my bag if my fitting went better. The week before my Epic fitting, I went to the same exact range for a TM demo day. The guys didn't have any LM to help fit me into a shaft. They kinda just handed me shafts to keep whacking until we found one that was most successful/consistent. I absolutely LOVE the look of the M woods, that black and white scheme just does it for me. Loved the sound as well, but yeah, the performance just wasn't there, and I'm almost certain it was because the fitting experience was lacking.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I hit the M2 3h and 4h and was still very impressed with the feel at impact. And I was hitting on flip flops, yet hitting the M2 15 yards further than the Epic and Steelhead.

I suspect the M2 is more forgiving than the Apex and while I still like the Apex a lot, I'm wondering how an m2 3h would compare and with the 150% trade in until the end of the month....it's extremely tempting

M2 Driver

Was fit into an M1 driver last year and loved it.  Didn't think anything could beat it this year.  I was wrong.  I had the luxury of a free fitting+ driver so I took advantage of it and the 2017 M2 came out on top.  I quite the selection of shafts and the the HZRDUS Yellow was the clear match made in heaven.  With the 10.5 head and the 6.0 flex, I was getting 3-5 yards more carry than my M1.  The real icing on the cake was the performance on mishits.  With my M1, my toe miss led to severe spin drop and some ugly toe hooks.  The M2 has a higher spin profile out on the toe, which keeps my spin up at acceptable levels and virtually eliminates the toe hook for me.

I had 2016 M2 15* fairway wood, but that was beat out by the M2 16.5 3 wood with the HZRDUS shaft.  I had the stock shaft in my 2016 and it was a little light and unstable for me, so the new combinations gives me a similar distance and ball flight, but with less dispersion because of the additional stability of the shaft.

The M1 hybrid is 19* and fits in after my current 4 iron.  I need to do some more on course testing, but early results are it is LOOOONG.  I may need to loft up bit, or potentially switch to a higher lofted head altogether.  I love the look and the performance - I just need to be sure I can fit my correct yardage gap

Here are some pictures of my sticks

M2 Driver

IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8660.JPG

IMG_8661.JPG

IMG_8662.JPG

M2 Fairway

IMG_8665.JPG

IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8669.JPG

M1 Hybrid

IMG_8670.JPG

IMG_8672.JPG

IMG_8673.JPG

I played yesterday at my course and was in a few places off the tee further than I've ever been.

I did end up pushing a ball off the tee on the Eighth but it still ended up in the fairway.

A major upgrade from my old driver at this point.

I played yesterday at my course and was in a few places off the tee further than I've ever been.

I did end up pushing a ball off the tee on the Eighth but it still ended up in the fairway.

A major upgrade from my old driver at this point.

Glad to hear that the honeymoon hasn't ended yet - will be interesting to see what happens with the HZRDUS Yellow arrives

Glad to hear that the honeymoon hasn't ended yet - will be interesting to see what happens with the HZRDUS Yellow arrives

Honeymoon time is always fun.

The shaft should arrive tomorrow...

I have the 17 M2 D-Type driver and I would throw my grandmother in front of a car to save this club if I had to. I tested everything before deciding on the M2. It was about 15yrds (carry) longer than my Aeroburner.

8hhf0J5.png

The 17 M2 is silly. Missed only 2 fairways with it today and maybe by a combined 5 yards. There were a few holes I was closer to the green then I have ever been including the last par 5 which I got on in 2 for the first time ever and accidentally rolled in the eagle putt. Let's hope it continues next weekend. Cautiously anxious how the red tie shaft is going to change things when it gets here.

WITB:

The 17 M2 is silly. Missed only 2 fairways with it today and maybe by a combined 5 yards. There were a few holes I was closer to the green then I have ever been including the last par 5 which I got on in 2 for the first time ever and accidentally rolled in the eagle putt. Let's hope it continues next weekend. Cautiously anxious how the red tie shaft is going to change things when it gets here.

What's in it now?

Stock Fuji Pro 56

WITB:

While the honeymoon appears to be over since I'm not hitting the drive of my life every hole, the forgiveness of this club is keeping me in play and still getting well down the fairway.

Now I need to get to know the HZRDS yellow a little better to figure out the shaft issue

I have the 2016 M2 driver and 2016 M1 3wood. I love them both. I play x-stiff on both and the low spin of the M2 makes it so much fun to hit and watch it run out. I have a medium ball flight so it's not like I'm skimming one down the fairway at 10feet high. The 3 wood is amazing off the tee. I don't work much on it off the deck because I hit my 5 wood so far. But when I do need it off the deck it's low and very spiny so it's not a hassle to hit. Off the tee it comes out great. Doesn't come off hot but not dead. The sound is like a crack but still a great sound. I don't see myself replacing them anytime soon

Honestly tried the M2 and M1 and wasn't getting good numbers not really sure why but I absolutely love the color contrast reminds me of the Rescue Mids hybrids I still use to this day.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

• 5 weeks later...

Been testing the red tie in this driver and have been missing right a lot lately. Dropped the stock Fuji Pro in it for today's round and, for the most part, was spot on today. Just a solid driver but quite important to get the right shaft

WITB:

I've been hitting the Yellow well now for a little over a month now.  I'm seeing a lot more distance than I was before and have a ton of confidence off the tee.  Completely smitten with it.

I play last years m1 430 in 8.5*.  Started out with an x-stiff black tie, switched to an x-stiff white tie.  I love it.  Misses go long and still hug the fairway.  Hit it on the sweet spot and you know it.  I've played it all season and I'm still surprised by how much longer it is.  There is a 355 yd par 4 (down hill and often down wind) that I often find myself over the green.  My previous driver (Aeroburner 9.5 matrix white tie stiff) I never even got fringe.  Not saying carry is 30+ yds further, but with roll it certainly is.  Could be the shaft, the White tie in the Aeroburner was a factory shaft.  And to be honest I hate the lack of feedback with the x-stiff, but it works..really well.  Love this club, and I recommend it to everyone I play with.  FWIW the 430 was a tour van head hot melt, 8.7* actual loft.  TP n stuff lol.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Archived