TESTERS WANTED! ×

Your Ah-ha moment?

What was that moment, idea, thought, or maybe routine that moved your game from one level to the next? If you remember what you changed each time, that lowered your handicap, that would be great too. I'm about a year and a half in to playing more often and actually trying to get better, but haven't found that thing that has helped me turn the corner yet. There are tons of articles out there that give tips for breaking 100, 90 or even par but I'm hoping (as usual) the MGS community can bring a "real life" spin to this. Plus you folks can be pretty dang entertaining to boot, I look forward to hearing your stories!

-Will

just starting to build my set

irons: Adams pro A12 3-pw KBS tour

woods: zenith orbiter 3 and 5

driver: Bombtech Grenade 9* Stiff

wedges: tour edge 56*

I have Ah-ha moments all the time, but they are quickly followed by Ah-sh!t moments.  But that's golf.  I think we all go through days where everything clicks, but it doesn't last.

When things started coming together for me was when I gave up trying to develop my own swing, following tips from magazines then later when videos became common.  I picked the type of swing I was looking for and found a teacher and golf school to show me how that golf swing was supposed to feel.  Refreshers are needed because I find that I slip into a bad habit by inadvertently listening to someone telling me a good way to gain more yards using a swing that isn't mine.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

All there for me.

Stronger grip. Big difference was that finally a flat left wrist and square club face throughout were just part of my swing. All the toe up or rotate this or that was gone.

Went and found out what the pros really do, not what some minolta swing vision dude said they do.

I think what KennyB says is awesome. Its common thought that you cant do what the pros do and have to have all these bandaids for your swing just to get close. Then more bandaids. Not true. With THE correct ideas and swing mechanics playing to your best ability is quite possible. And the changes are usually quick and quite surprising. Then comes the work and un-learning with real results. A case in point has alwasy been the short guys like Pavin or Leonard who had big success. They did it different, and were therefore shorter, than the truly greats who had distance to begin with. Short was 270+- and 300 is nothing new. Whats new is joe blow can do it. When some guy next to you on the range weighing a buck twenty five can hit it 300 down the pipe it just proves that the technology is in your hands too, and the skies the limit for all of us.

And a change in thinking or approach is usually not done until the clubs are almost on the curb waiting for the trashman.

Which is why KennyB is really on to something......

My aha moment was taking lessons.   I know people have the ability to learn how to play on their own; we hear about self taught pros all the time.   My guess is that the self teaching took many hours of dedicated practice.   

I would avoid all magazine and TV tips on how to improve your swing.   If you don't apply the right fix, you won't fix your problem and could make things worse.   As Kenny said,  Aha  moments quickly become ah-s*** moments.  If you want to read tips,  read about how to do course management or develop mental strength.

In my opinion,  find a pro and work on the basic fundamentals or grip and setup.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think Kenny said it best.

There have been many occasions where I thought I found the key to my swing.

Only to not be able to find it again.

I will say I finally got it through my thick head last year that a really good short game is one of the quickest ways to drop strokes.

While I don't claim that mine is really good. Its much more consistent this year than anytime in my golf life.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

In high school my pro taught me the method of Manuel de la Torre. 7 years later I haven't changed and have been a single handicap since. Read "Understanding the Golf Swing" by Manuel de la Torre if you want a natural way to play the game. Warning: it is profoundly simple.

I guess my advice would be to follow the swing principles of one method. Don't try to combine 300 different tips into one swing. Watching Michael Breed for one hour has the power to ruin your golf swing for weeks.

Haha that last sentence makes so much sense!

I guess my advice would be to follow the swing principles of one method. Don't try to combine 300 different tips into one swing. Watching Michael Breed for one hour has the power to ruin your golf swing for weeks.

I'm not so sure about that. I've been playing a long time. 40+ years with a few short breaks or disruptions along the way. My swing isn't a model of any one method or personality. I have taken bits and pieces of good solid fundamental advice along the way and made a game of it. A tip here and there and some good instruction has worked well for me. Everyone is different. So, I can't become Ben Hogan, or Adam Scott, or even Jim Furyk for that matter. What works for these guys works for them. As everyone knows; the moment of truth as the clubface meets the ball is all that really matters anyway. Everything you do before that is your business.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ah ha moment was when i decided to actually think about course management and where i wanted to hit my second shot from.

Another...dont hit a trap.

Another...there are very very few miraculous revovery shots...quit thinking par and shoot bogey if youre in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think Kenny said it best.

There have been many occasions where I thought I found the key to my swing.

Only to not be able to find it again.

I will say I finally got it through my thick head last year that a really good short game is one of the quickest ways to drop strokes.

While I don't claim that mine is really good. Its much more consistent this year than anytime in my golf life.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I can't tell you the number of times something's has "clicked" and I'm suddenly flushing every club in the bag and I think "Holy Crap! This is what I've been looking for!" Only to go out the very next day do exactly the same thing and can't swing my way out of a wet paper bag!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I can't tell you the number of times something's has "clicked" and I'm suddenly flushing every club in the bag and I think "Holy Crap! This is what I've been looking for!" Only to go out the very next day do exactly the same thing and can't swing my way out of a wet paper bag!

:lol:   The golf gods got you for thinking like that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

:lol:   The golf gods got you for thinking like that.

So true. They don't let us get big heads for very long at all

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 4 weeks later...

I have Ah-ha moments all the time, but they are quickly followed by Ah-sh!t moments. But that's golf. I think we all go through days where everything clicks, but it doesn't last.

When things started coming together for me was when I gave up trying to develop my own swing, following tips from magazines then later when videos became common. I picked the type of swing I was looking for and found a teacher and golf school to show me how that golf swing was supposed to feel. Refreshers are needed because I find that I slip into a bad habit by inadvertently listening to someone telling me a good way to gain more yards using a swing that isn't mine.

Johnny Miller called those wood solutions, works only one day.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 4 weeks later...

What was that moment, idea, thought, or maybe routine that moved your game from one level to the next? If you remember what you changed each time, that lowered your handicap, that would be great too. I'm about a year and a half in to playing more often and actually trying to get better, but haven't found that thing that has helped me turn the corner yet. There are tons of articles out there that give tips for breaking 100, 90 or even par but I'm hoping (as usual) the MGS community can bring a "real life" spin to this. Plus you folks can be pretty dang entertaining to boot, I look forward to hearing your stories!

-Will

Never really had a moment that comes to mind. I worked at a golf course when I was a kid and never thought about playing, it was just a job. When I joined the Airforce some friends convinced me to play and I shot 94 the first time out. Didn't know at the time that it was a good score but I beat two of three guys. After that I was hooked, there was no driving range in the area and even if there was I was poor as dirt at the time. Where I lived there was a large courtyard with a little tree about 30 yards from my side yard. So I would spend hours chipping and pitching balls at that poor little tree. When I went to the course I would chip and putt as much as could. After about 5 years of doing this my cap was down to three. My thought process at the time was I could get near any green in regulation and if I up and down consistently I would score well. It has served me well over the years, I may not be the best ball striker but inside 100 yards I feel very confident that I'm getting up and down. So I guess without knowing any better I taught myself to score.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Week to week I find small but important things in my game to tweak and change that I would consider ah-ha moments.

The biggest thing two things I found this season are a) 7 iron bump and runs. Not great for all courses but definitely helped my short game.

B) getting myself to my comfortable yardage for shots into the green. For so long I always tried just to hit it far and get as close as I could regardless. Now I like being really anywhere from 90-135 yards and feel extremely comfortable with those shots in. Often on shorter par 4s rather then using driver/3 wood to get as close as possible I will take 5 iron to get me to my comfortable yardage.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Week to week I find small but important things in my game to tweak and change that I would consider ah-ha moments.

The biggest thing two things I found this season are a) 7 iron bump and runs. Not great for all courses but definitely helped my short game.

B) getting myself to my comfortable yardage for shots into the green. For so long I always tried just to hit it far and get as close as I could regardless. Now I like being really anywhere from 90-135 yards and feel extremely comfortable with those shots in. Often on shorter par 4s rather then using driver/3 wood to get as close as possible I will take 5 iron to get me to my comfortable yardage.

Danbrook

I just discovered the 8 iron (in my case) 'bump and run'. I always had a inconsistent short chip shot. More a function of yips rather than technique. Played with someone a month ago that used an 8 iron for 'bump and run' This definitely improved my game

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Danbrook

I just discovered the 8 iron (in my case) 'bump and run'. I always had a inconsistent short chip shot. More a function of yips rather than technique. Played with someone a month ago that used an 8 iron for 'bump and run' This definitely improved my game

Once I discovered the 8 iron bump, my mind was opened. Up until that point I just assumed you use a sand wedge for everything around the green.

Ever since then I've been able to be more creative around the dance floor.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I realized that when I hinged my backswing, I didn't really get a full hinge. In my practice swing I now take a half swing with a hinge and regrip before I take my shot. A little more power and much more consistent flight and ball striking.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• 3 weeks later...

Get out of your way. There are too many things that's going on in a golf swing. From weight shift to storing up torque, hip turns, shoulder turns, completing double pendulum and achieving optimum shaft lean angle for particular shots plus a whole host of other things.

Your conscious brain can't even do a simple multiple and subtraction simultaneously what are the chance that it can properly control your 125 yard knock down shot with a 10 yard draw to a pin set on the top tier at the back of the green. Yet if you get out of the way it'd do just that. Drawing from all of the shots data you have gathered from practicing and executing it to the best way your body can. It's easier said than done but what do you think happens when you are in the "zone". Your subconscious mind takes over and you go blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My ah ha moment was getting fit for iron shafts. No more fat or thin shots at all. Granted, I'm not always straight but I never practice so finding clubs that work with what I've got changed everything for me.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

My "ah-ha moment" came shortly after my first child was born.  She was born July 13th, 2005 and we watched Tiger blister St. Andrews the following four days while getting used to our "new normal".  Somehow, golf didn't seem so important anymore.  At least not to the degree I had made it prior to becoming a father.  For whatever reason, when I stopped caring, I started shooting significantly better scores.  I played in my club championship later that summer.  Entering the tournament, I had never broken 80 with a personal best of 84 once.  I was 31 years old and had been playing since I was 13.

I shot 77-76-78 and haven't given two shits about a score since.  Golf is a strange game!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for my Ah Ha! moment.  Plenty of oh sh*t and @#!#@$!F#$% this game moments though...too many...ha ha ha....  I did reach my goal of breaking into the 70s at one point in my golfing life, but it's been downhill from there.  I'm lucky to break 90 now a days...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

... When I was tying to break into single digits I played with a satellite tour guy and he told me to take more club. When tour pro's are not pin high, they are long 50% of the time and short 50% of the time. Amateur's are short 99% of the time. Depending on the pin and what trouble is over the green always take enough club to get past the pin. I began hitting more shots closer to the pin and more shots past the pin than I ever had before and my scores immediately improved. 

... Obviously there are times whether it's trouble long you want to avoid or pin placements you want to stay below, but for normal stock shots only take your ideal club yardage if it is perfect. You hit your 8 iron 145 and the pins 146, hit a 7 iron. If there is even a gentle wind in your face hit a 7 iron. If it is a little uphill hit a 7 iron. Now if it is quite a bit uphill or you have a good wind in your face hit a 6 iron. I can pretty much guarantee if you take more iron than you think you need you will be surprised at your results. In fact I would suggest playing a round taking one more club than you normally would for every shot and it will be an eye opening experience for most. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... When I was tying to break into single digits I played with a satellite tour guy and he told me to take more club. When tour pro's are not pin high, they are long 50% of the time and short 50% of the time. Amateur's are short 99% of the time. Depending on the pin and what trouble is over the green always take enough club to get past the pin. I began hitting more shots closer to the pin and more shots past the pin than I ever had before and my scores immediately improved.

... Obviously there are times whether is trouble long you want to avoid or pin placements you want to be below, but for normal stock shots only take your ideal club yardage if it is perfect. You hit your 8 iron 145 and the pins 146, hit a 7 iron. If there is even a gentle wind in your face hit a 7 iron. If it is a little uphill hit a 7 iron. Now if it is quite a bit uphill or you have a good wind in your face hit a 6 iron. I can pretty much guarantee if you take more iron than you think you need you will be surprised at your results. In fact I would suggest playing a round taking one more club than you normally would for every shot and it will be an eye opening experience for most.

+1 to this. Very great points. I've adopted this approach this season and it's been great for my game. The only time I take that 8 iron now is if the wind is helping.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

... Obviously there are times whether it's trouble long you want to avoid or pin placements you want to be below, but for normal stock shots only take your ideal club yardage if it is perfect. You hit your 8 iron 145 and the pins 146, hit a 7 iron. If there is even a gentle wind in your face hit a 7 iron. If it is a little uphill hit a 7 iron. Now if it is quite a bit uphill or you have a good wind in your face hit a 6 iron. I can pretty much guarantee if you take more iron than you think you need you will be surprised at your results. In fact I would suggest playing a round taking one more club than you normally would for every shot and it will be an eye opening experience for most.

This is very interesting advice, thanks for the tip chisag!

When I went from Jack Daniels to Miller Lite it made a world of difference.  Other than that I'm still looking for that Ah Ha moment.   One thing that may lead to a few ah ha moments for me is when I swing more up right instead of flatter than a mouse under a corn bin door.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

When I went from Jack Daniels to Miller Lite it made a world of difference. Other than that I'm still looking for that Ah Ha moment. One thing that may lead to a few ah ha moments for me is when I swing more up right instead of flatter than a mouse under a corn bin door.

Can always count on ole gray for a solid one liner, or two. Lol

Archived