Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Online lessons. Have experience?

I've taken 30+ lessons in person and mostly all with the same instructor. But, I kind of cooled on our compatibility as student/teacher combo and decided to stop taking lessons. I didn't feel like I was getting as much out of the lesson as I could.

Anyhow, I'm having trouble finding a quality instructor in my area. It feels like finding a needle in a haystack just getting a recommendation. So, I figured, maybe it would be easier to find someone who does a quality online analysis.

Does anyhow have experience with online lessons? And, does anyone have a recommendation for online or in the Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads area?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have done both online and in person lessons and both have advantages and disadvantages.   

I personally think if you are a beginner in person lessons are best.   The big reason for this is supervision while working on the swing to help ensure you are repeating the right things.   Online lessons work well if you are changing small things and can deal with the longer turnaround for feedback.   You also have to have the ability and willingness to take and post videos and images (some people are technology challenged)

For something like putting,  you can do that online or in person with equal results

The biggest benefit to online is you can choose whatever instructor you want and not in a specific region.  not sure why you want online specifically in the HR area;  if you live here,  I would think you would want to do in person lessons.  I have taken lessons from a few instructors in the area in the past,  but haven't taken one in a few years so I would need to do research again.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Online only because I thought it would be easier to get a recommendation.

As far as skill level, Im like a 14 handicap but a lot of that is credit to my short game. In general, Im struggling with ball striking.

Check out Shawn Clement. He explains concepts extremely well.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I second Shawn Clement

He's got some great videos! Just remember, you're cutting a dandelion

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

I have wondered about online lessons myself, I did GolfTec a few years ago with some success, but they moved my instructor to a different city in the middle of my lesson packet and I just didn't see eye to eye with the new instructor they gave me....plus GolfTec can be pricey because you have to buy a "package" and pay for it all in advance....I think mine was like $850. I would much rather be able to pay as I go or when I need to go.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I second Shawn Clement

He's got some great videos! Just remember, you're cutting a dandelion

I had no idea what you were talking about w/ the dandelions until I watched a couple of his videos. Thought you were warning me about the danger of swing changes or something lol.

I had no idea what you were talking about w/ the dandelions until I watched a couple of his videos. Thought you were warning me about the danger of swing changes or something lol.

Haha he's all about dandelions.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

meandmygolf.com is a website I regularly check when my swing is off. Works for me!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Question for the original poster.  Are you looking for instructors that post tips and videos online or are you looking for an instructor to specifically work with you?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Dan use to be on WRX and helped a lot of people. I've heard from guys who've taken his online lessons and also actually travelled to see him in person.

Eveyone I've heard from swears he helps them make immediate improvement.

http://dancarrahergolf.com/

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I think online lessons can work if you have a solid understanding of the golf swing to begin with.  The most important thing IMO is that you buy into the philosophy and the concepts that the online instructor is using. Shawn Clement, Rotary Swing, Top Speed Golf, they are all very knowledgeable but use different concepts and explanations to teach you online. I also don't think you can go solely online. I would look for an online instructor that also has in-person lessons or a network of professionals that teach the same methodology.  I know Shawn Clement used to do travelling lessons a few times a year and has some instructors certified in his methods. Getting in front of them in-person once or twice a year to confirm or validate that you are doing things properly would be helpful.

• 2 months later...

Run, don't walk and click on Martin Chuck's Tour Striker on line lessons.  Martin is, by far, the best I've ever had and I've done several versions of on-line lessons. He follows up with personal feedback, detailed over-view of my swing, along with tips and what to practice. Revolution Golf is my mainstay and though my game has been off this summer, I'm more than certain with Martin's guidance, I can get back on track.  I have been saving my $$ to attend his school/academy for a while now.  My prayer's would be answered if I can make it happen.  He is truly the best! :P

:ping-small:

Driver:  Ping G LE
:callaway-small: Irons:  Callaway Big Bertha
Callaway X Hot
:ping-small: Putter:  Ping Crazee

:lol:

Golf shoe:  hundreds!

B)

Outfits:  Too many to count

• 11 months later...

i learned a lot from Kent Sonnefeld, sonnefeldgolf.com he helped me to go from a 14 handicap to a 2. Amazing how simple his teachings are on the golf swing. He teaches a method he calls "the 3 motions" you need to check it out. 

i've tried rotary swing but found it to be overwhelming and over technical. Thats just me i like someone who can keep it simple that is exactly what Kent does. 

Looking to improve my hybrid play I checked out three youtube videos and got three different ways to swing this club - everything from a sweeping motion with ball played forward to one playing the ball back and taking a big divot! WTF! In the overall scheme of things I'd rather pay my instructor a few more bucks than pay for on line golf lessons. From my perspective the real life golf lessons center around minor swing adjustments rather than online ones which tend to advocate one swing type/style for everyone.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Looking to improve my hybrid play I checked out three youtube videos and got three different ways to swing this club - everything from a sweeping motion with ball played forward to one playing the ball back and taking a big divot! WTF! In the overall scheme of things I'd rather pay my instructor a few more bucks than pay for on line golf lessons. From my perspective the real life golf lessons center around minor swing adjustments rather than online ones which tend to advocate one swing type/style for everyone.

It depends on the instructor. There are in person instructors that work with what you have and those that teach a method.

As a player you need to consider your goals and decide how much change is necessary to reach those goals. Do you want to get around the course and have decent rounds or do you want to be successful at tournament golf.

It depends on the instructor. There are in person instructors that work with what you have and those that teach a method.

As a player you need to consider your goals and decide how much change is necessary to reach those goals. Do you want to get around the course and have decent rounds or do you want to be successful at tournament golf.

Good point - guess 'one size' doesn't fit everyone. Since I'm 71 and just started a few years ago I'm just looking to get better vs. thinking Tournament. After having gone through a few instructors I have one that has helped my game tremendously and I have a lot of confidence in him.

FYI that's not to say I sneak a peek at YouTube golf videos occasionally.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've never paid for online lessons, but I have posted swing videos on another golf website.  I feel like I got good (and free) advice, and I learned a lot about the value (and limitations ) of video-based lessons.  I've also met in-person the instructor who helped me online, and got further good advice. 

I think video lessons services have a use, and can certainly help some people.  I'm certain that video can have a role in helping a player to practice efficiently, and to confirm that he's doing the right things even when it feels so completely wrong.  Video can also be a rathole for those who try to diagnose their own faults, almost none of us have the skills required to determine the root causes of our problems.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have done online putting lessons (Potters Putting) and they have worked out great! I can definitely see full swing lessons being hard to do exclusively online

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Archived