Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Best Books for Golfers

Reading Jack's Golf My Way. Cool book to feel connected with his thought process.

Other recommendations:

Hogans - 5 Fundamentals of Golf

Rotella - Golf is not a game of perfect

Rotella - Putting out of your Mind

Brodie - Every Shot Counts

Barzeski/Wedzik - Lowest Score Wins

The last two are more strategy books on playing percentage golf.  Really good info, just have to practically apply.  I read those before the start of every season as a reminder. 

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here read "The Golfing Machine" by Homer Kelly? I've heard it's got great information but is a bit of a difficult read. Prices for used copies are always in excess of $50 as well, so have yet to pull the trigger for something that I might not enjoy reading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I don't do much reading at all, but I did read the little red book at the end of last year and it was good. I need to pick up other golf related reads, I just can never tell myself to sit down and read.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Off of Plaid's suggestion, I got the Michael Breed book: The Picture Perfect Golf Swing. It's been a great tool in my video analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 6 months later...

Been looking for some ideas on how to improve my game and have been looking for a book/approach on strategy for playing and practicing. I have been researching every shot counts, lowest score wins, and the decade program. Found some good videos in the decade approach and it all makes sense, I understand the concepts behind strokes gained so I am not looking for an explanation on that aspect. I think I am really looking for a evaluation program so I can measure improvement whether it is practice or an actual round. It seem like lowest score wins might be the best option based on limited availability of information; there is no preview of the book or table of contents listing available for me to see what is included.

I am generally pretty cheap so $30 for a book seems pretty expensive especially if it isn't going to provide what I am looking for. I tried used. Is amazon and I hav to say I find it shocking that a used copy it $10+ more than buying a new copy.

I saw the earlier post that recommended it for a newer golfer so I am wondering if anyone else has read the book and found value in the provided information. Or if anyone else has recommendations on a practice plan. I am comfortable off tee so I am pretty sure I want to focus on iron play to hit more greens and short game to get closer to the pin. both if these areas seem to be the recommended areas to improve scores.

I am not looking for a mental approach to the game so no Rotella or Vision54 type recommendations. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'd say one of the absolute best books for beginners is Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

Caution when reading this book... It has been noted numerous times that what Hogan presents in the book are, in-fact, not what he's doing in real-life with his swing. It may have “felt” that way to him, but it wasn't what he practiced.

I bought it years ago and three different pros said “caution”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I say find a book that CONFIRMS your pro's teachings to help give you another way to look at the same thought/movement/process. If you go out and buy a book that is counter to what he's teaching you, you'll end-up with conflicting thoughts, and then you're down the road to having problems. There are THOUSANDS of books written on the swing... Caution!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

So... I'm a 20 handicapper with an ambitious, but in my opinion attainable goal of shooting in the 80's by the end of this season, 70's next season, and scratch soon after. I have a new coach who is awesome (if you're in the Long Island area and need a good coach let me know) and my lessons and all are helping tremendously. But I have found that by following my lesson plans and drills I get one dimensional at times and don't progress as quickly as I'd like. But then after reading certain books, I've had that "AH HA!" moment nearly every time where something I thought was "good" was really totally wrong, or I didn't totally understand something my coach told me to do, or any number of other reasons.

So I'm curious to know what books would you all recommend to a newer golfer, or just any golfer in general. Maybe it's an author who explains things in a way that you "get it" every time (I feel like Hank Haney hits the nail on the head for me all the time), or maybe a book that changed your game completely, or simply one you just love. I've read and like "The Plane Truth for Golfers", and found it to be very helpful with my particular swing in breaking down feels vs. reality and drills that seem to work for me. I learn best from gathering tons of information, so my goal is to get the best from the best folks in golf... The MGS Community. Thanks!!

Driver: TM M2 10.5 Stiff Aldila Rogue

Fairway: TM M2 Fujikara Stiff

Hybrid: Nike Vapor Fly CK Tensei Stiff

Irons: JPX 900 Forged Project X LZ 5.5/115

Wedges: Mizuno T7 Blue 54°, White Satin56°

Putter: Nike Method Origin B1-01

I'm in a similar position (handicap) and an avid reader. The books mentioned are great reads,  but I ended up categorizing my reading into two major areas; skill development and mental game. That would be my recommendation to you as well. If your looking for swing or putting skill development many of these books hit the mark - but be careful of information overload. On the mental game (which is where I needed the most help), Rotella's book was a great starting point - but the one I really liked better is 'Be a Player' by Nilesson & Marriott. The latter provides concrete steps to building the mental part of the game. Note the authors are the creators of Vision 54 and have a number of books..  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As others have said Ben Hogan's five lessons works extremely well (especially if you overlap grip, but still works for interlock); and Penick's red book for justification and acts as a quick reference.

I personally recommend, Nick Faldo‘ A Swing for Life. Instruction is simplified, well written, and he explains little nuances in great detail.

Also, Leadbetter's Positive Practice is a quick and understandable read, ( as opposed to the A Swing, which sounds a lot like stack and tilt).

I'd also recommend Phil's Secrets of the Short Game, but only the chipping, pitching, and bunker play. The putter section lacks a bit of luster.

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

Not sure if I saw it or not, but I would put James Sieckmann - Your Short Game Solution ahead of Pelz book.

Pelz is guilty of over complicating things at times (although his analysis is spot on). Sieckmann will give you the simplest approach to the short game I have read to date. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

The Art of War by Sun Tzu.   Many times the battle on the course is won or lost before getting on the course.   Never fight a battle on the course that you know you cannot win, play within your ability.   The course is what you must defeat, know its tactics.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Many times the battle on the course is won or lost before getting on the course. Never fight a battle on the course that you know you cannot win, play within your ability. The course is what you must defeat, know its tactics.

So never tee off until my opponent has the rising sun in his eyes?

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I"m with Tony.  The book, "Be a Player" is my top book on developing on course skills to improve your gome.  The earlier book by the same authors is also very good:  "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose".  The two are complementary.  I would start with the first book and then move on to "Be a Player."  There are three books in the series.  The second book in the series didn't help me as much as the first and third.  It build on the ideas of "Every Shot", but didn't move the needle like "Be a Player."

"The Practice Manual" by Young has a lot of good stuff in it, including lots of specific drills to help you improve skills.  It is a bit dense if you are not interested in learning theory, but worth the read.  The first section and third are quite good.  The first time I read this, I skimmed the theory parts and concentrated on the practical stuff.  I later went back and read the entire book carefully.  I guess I just wasn't ready for all the theory the first time I read it.  

• 2 months later...

First book I would get would be Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible....read it practice his drills and you'll drop strokes around the green.

I wholeheartedly agree!

I'm only 6 chapters in and feel I'm a different golfer. He points out so many things that I have never thought of from 125 yards and in and how to conquer these shots.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

The Masters: Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia by Curt Sampson.

This is a great story about all the history behind Augusta. If you like this book then I also have to recommend Hogan by the same author as well.

These books won't help your game but they will make you love the game even more.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

A book that I was really fond of was Golf is not a Game of Perfect.  It talks about the mental side of the game.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

A book that I was really fond of was Golf is not a Game of Perfect. It talks about the mental side of the game.

I love the title and know nothing else of the book. If I can keep reminding myself of that, I'm sure it will make the rounds much more enjoyable.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

May not be the best but I thoroughly enjoyed it... Range Bucket List: The Golf Adventure of a Lifetime by James Dodson

Highly recommended

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

May not be the best but I thoroughly enjoyed it... Range Bucket List: The Golf Adventure of a Lifetime by James Dodson

Highly recommended

Oh man. My favorite Golf Author. I've read everyone of his golf books and can't recommend them enough. Final Rounds and Son of the Game are good ones to start with.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 1 month later...

just finished the Rotella book - "golf is not a game of perfect"... quick read (finished it in about 2 days) and some good insightful stuff that stands the test of time.

moved on to "the impact zone" by Bobby Clampett... interesting read and it does has some good stuff.  his BIG thing is "4 inches in front of the ball" ... meaning that should be the deepest part of your divot and that too many players don't take one or start their divot at or behind the ball....he also really harps on getting a lot of lag in your swing.  I know, those are 3 letters that cause a lot of grief in the golf swing, but he does have a point about making sure you maximize the power/force in your swing and don't "lose" it prior to impact.

He doesn't tell you how to swing in the book - his concept is swing it how you want but make sure you follow these 5 'dynamics'.... worth it if you haven't read it yet.

look forward to more book recommendations as I've been looking through this thread for suggestions.

on my list ... unconscious putting by stockton....short game solution by james sieckmann....one of the nilson/marriott books

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• 2 weeks later...

First book I would get would be Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible....read it practice his drills and you'll drop strokes around the green.

So I ordered a used copy of this book through Amazon for $10 including shipping.  When I opened it up, I saw that it was autographed by Pelz.  How cool is that?

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

Ive read tons. More story or bio type than instructional. Some of my favorites.

John Fienstein

-A Good Walk Spoiled

-Open: InSide the Ropes at Bethpage Bkack

-The First Major -2016 Ryder Cup

-Caddie for Life Bruce Edwards Story

-Tales from Q School

-The Majors the story of 2003 Majors.

James Dodson

Anything by him and thank me later. But start with

Final Rounds

So many more. But those are my two favorite authors and I've read just about everything from each of them.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 4 years later...
On 7/8/2017 at 6:28 PM, gaussman1 said:

Get "The Golf Omnibus" by P.G. Wodehouse. A collection of his short stories written in the early 1900s. Wonderfully funny. You won't learn any technique but you will get a look into the heart and soul of the game.

The only thing better is to get the audio versions read by Jonathan Cecil. Perfect for the golfer on a road trip.

image.jpeg.966132715688e0490132701c338cecca.jpeg Burner 2.0 Woods TP X-Stiff

image.jpeg.83be7ecd5878ca80a99a5f1f3fbc9583.jpeg JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-LW

image.jpeg.f58634f0177e78792743b7cddf3d6a64.jpeg Versa #1