Our Sponsors

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd say one of the absolute best books for beginners is Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

Get "The Golf Omnibus" by P.G. Wodehouse. A collection of his short stories written in the early 1900s. Wonderfully funny. You won't learn any technique but you will get a look into the heart and soul

That was one of my first books too. Throw my name on the pile recommending this.     Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Lol, glad I didn't read the pretext. Hehe. (seriously didn't) I actually used it to get rid of my ott. I use his grip & try when swinging, to picture the glass plane.

Think I'm a selective reader. . Lol

Hogan does have good fundamentals and the drawings in the book are top notch. His notes on setup are spot on.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Unstoppable golfer, Bob Rotella plus a few of his books are good. Definitely Harvey Pennick series all 4. That's all if you want to advance fast. All simple, and all mental.

I like history so I also read(well listen on my audible) both of David Frost books on golf, greatest game ever played and Bobby Jones. Titanic Thompson, Hank Haneys' book also a good read.

• Like 1

The Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett. Swing The Handle by Eddie Merrins. Stan Utley's Art of Putting and Art of the Short Game. Solid Impact by Jim Hardy. Be a Player, Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott. Anatomy of Greatness by Brandel Chamblee.

I agree about Dave Stockton's Unconscious Putting and Bob Rota's first book.

Leadbetter's book about Hogan is better than Hogan's own, for me. Not a fan of Jim Hardy's new book about the release.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett. Swing The Handle by Eddie Merrins. Stan Utley's Art of Putting and Art of the Short Game. Solid Impact by Jim Hardy. Be a Player, Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott. Anatomy of Greatness by Brandel Chamblee.

I agree about Dave Stockton's Unconscious Putting and Bob Rota's first book.

Leadbetter's book about Hogan is better than Hogan's own, for me. Not a fan of Jim Hardy's new book about the release.

Rotella, not Rota.

When I first started playing I read Golf My Way by Jack Nicklaus and found it pretty helpful. If I remember right it repeatedly said that what Jack did might not work for you, but it did work for me at least for a little while.

just starting to build my set

irons: Adams pro A12 3-pw KBS tour

woods: zenith orbiter 3 and 5

driver: Bombtech Grenade 9* Stiff

wedges: tour edge 56*

Very much like The Swing Factory based on Leslie King's method. Also Nick Price's The Swing: Mastering the Principles of the Game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leslie King The Perfect Golf Swing. His is the only book I ever suggest on "how to", when asked. It is sold all over but there is a "series'' with it free at golfpro-online and a pdf can be found too.

Its a beginner type of book.

• Like 1

Unconscious Putting

Unconscious Scoring

Both by Dave Stockton

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

Reading Jack's Golf My Way. Cool book to feel connected with his thought process.

Other recommendations:

Hogans - 5 Fundamentals of Golf

Rotella - Golf is not a game of perfect

Rotella - Putting out of your Mind

Brodie - Every Shot Counts

Barzeski/Wedzik - Lowest Score Wins

The last two are more strategy books on playing percentage golf.  Really good info, just have to practically apply.  I read those before the start of every season as a reminder. 

• Like 2

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here read "The Golfing Machine" by Homer Kelly? I've heard it's got great information but is a bit of a difficult read. Prices for used copies are always in excess of $50 as well, so have yet to pull the trigger for something that I might not enjoy reading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I don't do much reading at all, but I did read the little red book at the end of last year and it was good. I need to pick up other golf related reads, I just can never tell myself to sit down and read.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Off of Plaid's suggestion, I got the Michael Breed book: The Picture Perfect Golf Swing. It's been a great tool in my video analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 6 months later...

Been looking for some ideas on how to improve my game and have been looking for a book/approach on strategy for playing and practicing. I have been researching every shot counts, lowest score wins, and the decade program. Found some good videos in the decade approach and it all makes sense, I understand the concepts behind strokes gained so I am not looking for an explanation on that aspect. I think I am really looking for a evaluation program so I can measure improvement whether it is practice or an actual round. It seem like lowest score wins might be the best option based on limited availability of information; there is no preview of the book or table of contents listing available for me to see what is included.

I am generally pretty cheap so $30 for a book seems pretty expensive especially if it isn't going to provide what I am looking for. I tried used. Is amazon and I hav to say I find it shocking that a used copy it $10+ more than buying a new copy.

I saw the earlier post that recommended it for a newer golfer so I am wondering if anyone else has read the book and found value in the provided information. Or if anyone else has recommendations on a practice plan. I am comfortable off tee so I am pretty sure I want to focus on iron play to hit more greens and short game to get closer to the pin. both if these areas seem to be the recommended areas to improve scores.

I am not looking for a mental approach to the game so no Rotella or Vision54 type recommendations. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'd say one of the absolute best books for beginners is Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

Caution when reading this book... It has been noted numerous times that what Hogan presents in the book are, in-fact, not what he's doing in real-life with his swing. It may have “felt” that way to him, but it wasn't what he practiced.

I bought it years ago and three different pros said “caution”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

I say find a book that CONFIRMS your pro's teachings to help give you another way to look at the same thought/movement/process. If you go out and buy a book that is counter to what he's teaching you, you'll end-up with conflicting thoughts, and then you're down the road to having problems. There are THOUSANDS of books written on the swing... Caution!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0