TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver and 3 wood shaft fitting?

When I bought my driver and 3 wood (both Ping G), the guy just told me to hit clubs until I found something I liked.

Now I'm wondering if I should take the heads down and get fit for shafts for optimal spin, launch angle, etc...

What do you all think?

Unfortunately, all I have in my town is a Dick's so I'd have to drive over 100 miles to find a reputable Ping fitter.

Thanks!

Ping G400 SFT, 10 degree, HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Ping G Series 3 wood

Ping G Series 3 hybrid

Ping iSeries 4-9, PW, UW

Callaway MD3 54, PM 60

Ping Sigma G B60

Bridgestone B330-RXS

It sucks that you don't have anything closer, but I'd say it's definitely worth the drive to a quality fitter if you have the time and can afford it. You can see tons of examples all over the internet where people added significant yardage and accuracy after a good fitting.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Drive 100 miles. Don't be so lazy and negative.

Lets get this into perspective - if there were a opportunity to have a free round of golf at Augusta, the queue would be 300 miles long and you would be at the end of it.

And yet, if you have the opportunity to do something a little more realistic, achievable  and beneficial to your game, it is immediately dismissed as "too much hassle". 

Get over yourself.

That was pretty uncalled for jaskanski. Get over yourself. I was just at that shop over 100 miles away Friday getting a new putter. I don't have a problem driving, the main point of the post was is it a good idea to get fit for shafts.

Ping G Series 3 wood

Ping G Series 3 hybrid

Ping iSeries 4-9, PW, UW

Callaway MD3 54, PM 60

Ping Sigma G B60

Bridgestone B330-RXS

Optimizing the driver then the 3w are excellent goals.

Hitting what you like and hitting what works could certainly be different.

use it as a learning exercise and keep the info for future purchases

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

You don't need a Ping fitter. Is there some other fitter near you?

I would make the drive at some point but understand there is likely to be a cost over and above the fitting. That will be $100 and then it will be something significant if it's determined that you need new shafts. Figure another 100 plus for the driver and 50 plus for the FW.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Kinda what Rev Said.  Does the Dick's have a fitting cart for PING or for any other OEM?  If so one of their employees is probably certified for fitting.  But I know Dick's did away with PGA Pro's in it's stores, but that doesn't mean there may not be some qualified guys left.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

That was pretty uncalled for jaskanski. Get over yourself. I was just at that shop over 100 miles away Friday getting a new putter. I don't have a problem driving, the main point of the post was is it a good idea to get fit for shafts.

Let's put it into another perspective then. When was the last time you heard anyone saying getting properly fit for any club was a bad idea? The cost and distance argument is like you've thrown the towel in before you even give yourself a chance to answer your own question - and frankly, it's an argument that will continue to keep people from reaching the next level. So I stand by my original comment. 

Let's put it into another perspective then. When was the last time you heard anyone saying getting properly fit for any club was a bad idea? The cost and distance argument is like you've thrown the towel in before you even give yourself a chance to answer your own question - and frankly, it's an argument that will continue to keep people from reaching the next level. So I stand by my original comment.

The laziness and negativity contained within your initial hypothetical presupposition is the height of irony. So claim to stand by whatever you like; but stubbornly failing to acknowledge that which has been plainly brought to your attention makes you subsequently invisible...to me at least.

I suppose the invisibility would make you some sort of Super Spy; or perhaps it's merely representative of your conscription to a desolate station somewhere within the Arctic Circle. But I think you're a better Spy than that pards and I'm hoping you'll prove me right.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

When I bought my driver and 3 wood (both Ping G), the guy just told me to hit clubs until I found something I liked.

Now I'm wondering if I should take the heads down and get fit for shafts for optimal spin, launch angle, etc...

What do you all think?

Unfortunately, all I have in my town is a Dick's so I'd have to drive over 100 miles to find a reputable Ping fitter.

Thanks!

What about courses near you? Do they ever have demo days where the reps come out?

I got fit for my Epic and it's the best club I have in the bag. Took the shaft profile that I got for my driver and found a similar-enough one in a 3w and now I am very confident with that as well. I encourage everyone to get fit. I have gained so much distance and accuracy it's unreal. Running out of excuses for why I can't break 80 though, that's the only downside!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Definitely get fit for shafts the right shaft can not only add distance but it will also improve dispersion and help keep you in the fairway instead of the trees.

Too bad you weren't able to get fit when bought the clubs you might have been fit into one of the no cost shaft upgrades and even if you weren't upgraded shafts are usually much cheaper when you get them when you order the club.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I think you read something that wasn't in the original post. I never said anything about cost. I did say it was a bummer that my nearest fitter was a distance away, didn't say wasn't willing to go there.

Are you just out to troll posts to get your post count up? You've added absolutely zero value to this post and therefore wasted mine and anyone else that read your posts time.

Your input is no longer needed nor wanted on this post. Good day sir.

Ping G Series 3 wood

Ping G Series 3 hybrid

Ping iSeries 4-9, PW, UW

Callaway MD3 54, PM 60

Ping Sigma G B60

Bridgestone B330-RXS

In response to a couple of posts.

I figured I needed a Ping fitter because they are Ping clubs and they'd already have shafts with the G adapters on them. My Dick's does have a Ping cart, but it's only for irons. Unfortunately I didn't think about this when I got custom fit for my Ping irons at the last remaining independent shop that was competent before they closed. My game is at a new level now and getting the most out of my non-fitted clubs (that can be fitted) is my next step towards improvement (other than getting my putts to sub 30's).

Are any of you in the Los Angeles area and recommend any shops for this?

Ping G Series 3 wood

Ping G Series 3 hybrid

Ping iSeries 4-9, PW, UW

Callaway MD3 54, PM 60

Ping Sigma G B60

Bridgestone B330-RXS

I'd try one of these:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/clubfitter-directory-americas-best-clubfitters

As with all things online review related, take it with a grain of salt

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with those that say "make the drive". You can go to Shaftfit to get a starting point, but a certified fitter is a must. He (or she) will put you on a Trackman and find the right shaft for you.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Archived