Would you want different equipment rules for pros?

chershey

So, to say we get the same "brand x" forged iron as say JT? You can't tell me they don't have special forgings for those guys? Might have tighter grain specs... I'd like to see some investigation on that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

So, to say we get the same "brand x" forged iron as say JT? You can't tell me they don't have special forgings for those guys? Might have tighter grain specs... I'd like to see some investigation on that.

I do not think this is the case at all.

Tighter tolerances? Absolutely

Custom weighting? Sure

Custom grinds/bounces? You bet

But other then clubs are otherwise the same

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

You're probably right jlukes. I just want to see it proven. Jimmy Walkers 7 iron with the same loft and shaft as the off the shelf 718MB.

• Like 1

You're probably right jlukes. I just want to see it proven. Jimmy Walkers 7 iron with the same loft and shaft as the off the shelf 718MB.

I have visited a major OEM and seen their tour workshop. They're the same clubs only the pros and get EXACTLY what they they want spec/feel wise.
  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

I have visited a major OEM and seen their tour workshop. They're the same clubs only the pros and get EXACTLY what they they want spec/feel wise.

Must be nice. I wish I could call up the shop and say add 2g of weight to the middle, just a fraction towards the toe, on the sole. Oh and I don't want to see it.

The joys of being a professional, I guess.

- Alan

I'm glad to see that at least in this small sample size that no one wants different equipment rules for the pros. I'd be interested in seeing more info on differences between tour equipment vs off the rack equipment as well. For instance, the M2 driver has had a lot of success on tour this year, but I keep wondering if the M2 the PGA pros are playing has less draw bias or more of an open face compared to the retail version.

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I have never done a comparison but I think pros play the same equipment as we do. In my opinion the differences are the tolerances they get as part of the club builds. All equipment is weighed and frequencies checked to ensure they get the best performing clubs. We buy off the rack and get clubs that might not be perfectly matched between clubs. It is like having that club in your set that you always hit a little better or a little worse than the others.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Different rules would not bother me.  There are multiple examples where this is already in play in other sports.  The NFL plays with a bigger ball than the NCAA which plays with a bigger ball than high school.  MLB outlaws metal bats and plays 4 balls 3 strikes (vs. 3 and 2 in high school).  The reality is we already play a much different game than the pros do.

• Like 1

:ping-small:G410 Plus driver,:callaway-small:Diablo 3W, :cobra-small: F6 Baffler
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:AP1 716 irons
:ping-small:Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/15, Zing Lob wedges
:ping-small:Sigma G CRAZ-E putter

I'm more in favor of a tournament ball that's rolled back a bit than anything else on the equipment side. On the Rules of Golf side I would definitely like to see "tour only" rules and "recommended local rules". I'd start with drop at point of entry for all hazards, OB and lost balls for club golfers. Let's throw one down, add a shot, and move on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

As long as it's not tournament play, I don't give a hoot what someone else chooses to play. It has exactly zero effect on my game! Unless you have some illegal wedge that takes a huge divot or something, it's none of my business. 

Now, one thing that might be interesting would be an, "unlimited" category golf tournament where anything goes! You still only get 14 clubs and 10 balls but no limits other than that! 50" driver with a 600cc head? Sure! Square groves cut in a checkered pattern? Why not! Slice proof heavy balls with 1.1" diameter? Be my guest! Let's see what you can do!

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I'm more in favor of a tournament ball that's rolled back a bit than anything else on the equipment side. On the Rules of Golf side I would definitely like to see "tour only" rules and "recommended local rules". I'd start with drop at point of entry for all hazards, OB and lost balls for club golfers. Let's throw one down, add a shot, and move on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Agree.  Could you imagine if some guy in the foursome ahead of you came walking back to the tee because he can't find his ball and needs to re-tee?  At a municipal course, It's a good chance he'd be taken out before he made it back.

• Like 3

:ping-small:G410 Plus driver,:callaway-small:Diablo 3W, :cobra-small: F6 Baffler
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:AP1 716 irons
:ping-small:Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/15, Zing Lob wedges
:ping-small:Sigma G CRAZ-E putter

I don't think there's a real need for it other than people in charge of setups have a hard time dealing with low scores. I don't think it'd make much difference either except making the gap between the top and bottom tour player's larger. But I doubt we'll find out either way anytime soon.

• Like 1

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I guarantee you that the pros don't play out of the same sand bunkers as I do!  The courses they play are set up so much different than the ones I play, even when I get a chance to play a course that they play.  Nothing about their game resembles mine, so I could care less what equipment the pros play because I'm never going to play their game anyway.  

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No if you regulate differently than someone wanting to turn pro will not have access to the equipment needed. I play to a +3 at my home course. I enjoy the fact that I could potentially try and qualify for a tour event with the equipment I currently have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There is no question about the skill set difference between the pros and amateurs. However there is as well a distinct difference that the fine tuning of the equipment to match their swings, increase swing speeds that combined with an exact combination with the best suited ball further seperates what amateurs and pros use and have access to so as to further enhance their performance. The game needs to be the same for both groups not with out a few needed tweaks to improve pace of play. Face the facts..they are Pros for a reason and get to use the best of the best equipment..and why not!!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

As long as they're not doing anything to their equipment (cheating) to make it better, like former major leaguers corking a bat, I say leave it alone.

Let me be honest. I love playing and watching golf, but it does upset me, actually jealous, the pros can hit a 5 iron 200+ yards and I'm getting 160 at best. But, that's my problem. I'm out of shape, haven't been playing most of my life and I don't go to the range much.

Basically, I don't blame the equipment. I don't think there's a problem. At least not until all par 4's become driveable. Then get back to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm getting a chuckle at all the comments about the pro golfers and their equipment. Here are a few truths:

1: You could give Rickie Fowler a set of MacGregor blades and persimmon woods from the 60's that you found in a thrift store and I guarantee not a single person on this site, given access to all the club fitting resources in the world, would beat him in a tournament.

2: Their equipment really isn't that much different. Maybe they tweak it a bit, maybe the top 1% get "special" clubs but the majority of the PGA journeymen are playing well fitted, stock equipment.

3: For many middle of the pack guys, they're playing equipment because they get a check to play it, not because it's their preference. You see Rory with his special "Rors" blades and that gives the wrong impression. He got that because he is at the top. Heck, they might not even be perfect, just good enough for him to be ok with. Anyway, for every Rory out there, there are 15 guys playing a club they don't really like because they don't know how long the tour run is going to last and every check matters!

Don't worry about the pros!

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Ok, at risk of "teeing off" the purists out there, I have 2 words.

Heck yeah!

Iron specs: Adams a12os regular (needing senior) 4-sw.

Driver specs: Adams super s adjustable regular (SAA).

Handedness: Right

Handicap: 16

Wise County, Va.

I'd take that bet.  I know plenty of people on these sites that are good enough to take on someone like RF.  Especially if he gets handicapped with 15-25 yards off the tee with persimmon and (your own qualification) grips from a thrift store set.  Give him a set with grips as hard and slick as whale sh*t at the bottom of the ocean and he's not going to be able to perform.  

I've also seen some of the custom stuff out there for touring professionals.  When you start looking at the reduced offsets, grinds, and specialty shafts, there is definitely a difference.  

1: You could give Rickie Fowler a set of MacGregor blades and persimmon woods from the 60's that you found in a thrift store and I guarantee not a single person on this site, given access to all the club fitting resources in the world, would beat him in a tournament.

• Like 1

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters