Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cleveland Smart Sole

StrokerAce

If you are a casual player DO THIS.  At 119 each get the C and S and enjoy the game... the best 240 dollars you can ever spend.

I struggled for years trying to be like all the cool guys with the fancy wedges...and then I got an alien - LOVED that club.... really taught me a lot and I realized ppl didn't care what clubs I had in my bag.  This is simply a no brainer.  I might even try one just for fun.

Don't do all that work to get the ball close and then blow it next to the green...get on and start putting.

Fitting into Smart Sole 3's S or C is a piece of cake - the only options you have are gender specific: it's 58 degrees for the S and 42 degrees for the C. Standard shafts are the Smart Sole Steel or the Cleveland Wedge Flex graphite. Stock grip is the Lamkin Blue Cap for men and the Women's Smart Sole grip for the ladies.

Cleveland-Smart-Sole-3-specs.jpeg

Both clubs are available now for pre-sale now on Cleveland's website and at select retailers. Smart Sole 3 will be officially released July 24th.

MSRP is $119 in steel, $129 in graphite.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Are these taking the place of the Glide's?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

HAHA!  Loving the new glides... can really spin those puppies.

Trust me - if I was just like @GolfSpyBarbajo said - a 15+ HC or I was losing a lot of strokes next to the green I would ZERO problem gaming these... ZERO.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

HAHA!  Loving the new glides... can really spin those puppies.

Trust me - if I was just like @GolfSpyBarbajo said - a 15+ HC or I was losing a lot of strokes next to the green I would ZERO problem gaming these... ZERO.

Can't tell you how much fun these are to hit out of the bunker -- stupid easy. Not a ton of versatility - tight pin placements will be a challenge, but then again, they're designed for people who simply want to get out of the damn bunker and onto the putting surface -- they'll worry about close later. 

The chipper is just like doing a bump and run with a 9 iron or PW, but with a wide sole so you can't stub it.  No spin to speak of, and it's useless as a full swing club (unless you're trying to punch out from under trees or something). 

Cleveland has done well with these things - and you can expect a LOT more from Cleveland as the summer goes on.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Can't tell you how much fun these are to hit out of the bunker -- stupid easy. Not a ton of versatility - tight pin placements will be a challenge, but then again, they're designed for people who simply want to get out of the damn bunker and onto the putting surface -- they'll worry about close later. 

The chipper is just like doing a bump and run with a 9 iron or PW, but with a wide sole so you can't stub it.  No spin to speak of, and it's useless as a full swing club (unless you're trying to punch out from under trees or something). 

Cleveland has done well with these things - and you can expect a LOT more from Cleveland as the summer goes on.

This statement on the Cleveland site really speaks volumes (to me)...

"No more complicated setups, club manipulation, or swing adjustments.  Just grab your Smart Sole 3 and swing easy."

I think that is soooooo key for infrequent players; they don't have to open their stance/face/lower-the-handle/lean forward/back/sideways/upside-down.... just hit the ball like all of your other clubs.

Can't tell you how many guys I've played with either take multiple swings in the bunker, sending it sailing over the green or barely manage to get it out.... they turn a possible bogey into a quad or worse cause they can't get to their putter.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Love the foreshadowing there GolfSpyBarbajo!

I used to struggle with the beach, so I planted myself in one for about 8 hours total at the range hitting towards my bag, anything beyond was a fail. It took me about 5 to figure it out. Now I enjoy hitting a good lie in the bunker, I can count on it.

Had I know there were clubs to help me out of this I could have saved that 4 hours. Needed that for sure when I was a kid. I hated and was absolutely scared you know whatless of bunkers up until 2 years ago.

Ok, you guys almost have me convinced to give one a try.  I resisted the first go round on these because of the look, and I generally do OK from the bunker. I pretty much get out most of the time.  Sounds like these will more than OK, and possibly eliminate that 1 in 6 or 7 shots that I do leave or blade.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ok, you guys almost have me convinced to give one a try.  I resisted the first go round on these because of the look, and I generally do OK from the bunker. I pretty much get out most of the time.  Sounds like these will more than OK, and possibly eliminate that 1 in 6 or 7 shots that I do leave or blade.

DO IT!  ;)

The "C" club sounds nice but that "S" club - both from the bunker and thick rough behind/around the green.... if you can get on and 2 putt that hc will drop pretty quick!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

They need to make a smart putter for putting dummies like me. I need to work on my 3 putt avoidance stat...

this seems very very intriguing.... very...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Colour me intrigued. If I can scrounge up the money, I'll get the S club.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have both the Original Smart Sole C & S wedges.  Really love the S, at 58* I use it as a Lob wedge too for nice high flop shots.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I have the original S wedge in my garage, I played it for years until I got better from bunkers and with flops.

They are stupid easy to hit, I can't count the number of times I chipped in with that thing!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have the "S" wedge in my bag and love it!  My wife tried mine and she had to have her own.  I picked mine up when they first came out and have not looked back.  I'm not skilled enough to try all those trick shots around the greens with fancy wedges so this big butted heifer works great for what I need it for. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Barba may have had an unintentional point here- anybody use a chipper to get out from under trees? Sounds feasible...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Barba may have had an unintentional point here- anybody use a chipper to get out from under trees? Sounds feasible...

No, but i carry a 2 hybrid just for this certainty...was going to say eventuality but its certain every round. I certainly use it more than a 3 wood.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 6 months later...

I bought one of these for my wife who almost never plays and never ever practices. The other day she left one in the bunker and I hopped in and grabbed her club to demonstrate all she had to do. Hit it to a foot. Drooped another ball, hit it to 5 feet. Then I thought to myself, why the hell don't I have one of these?

I grew up on hard packed muni's in North Texas with grass bunkers so I never learned to play sand shots. I've gotten a lot better but every now and then I still hit a terrible bunker shot and have no confidence standing over them. Swallowed my pride and bought one of these used on eBay the other day. 2 for 2 in sand saves with it so far and nothing left in the bunker over a long practice session. I'm sold. Pride be damned. 

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I bought one of these for my wife who almost never plays and never ever practices. The other day she left one in the bunker and I hopped in and grabbed her club to demonstrate all she had to do. Hit it to a foot. Drooped another ball, hit it to 5 feet. Then I thought to myself, why the hell don't I have one of these?

I grew up on hard packed muni's in North Texas with grass bunkers so I never learned to play sand shots. I've gotten a lot better but every now and then I still hit a terrible bunker shot and have no confidence standing over them. Swallowed my pride and bought one of these used on eBay the other day. 2 for 2 in sand saves with it so far and nothing left in the bunker over a long practice session. I'm sold. Pride be damned.

Yea they are great little weapons and screw the pride thing. My wife hit mine a couple times and had to have one. I'm gaming the CBX 56 presently however the S wedge ain't going far.

Cleveland

I'm looking at a black one, brand new for $70 on Ebay.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

For me, nothing beats the 2011 Cleveland Niblicks!

Been playing all (3) 2011 Niblicks for years now..PW(42*), DW(49*), and SW(56*). I think of these as 'Hybrid Wedges' because they are far more versatile and reliable than conventional wedges.  Deadly accurate scoring clubs!  

I do carry one conventional wedge, a 58* Low Bounce (8*) Lob Wedge for very firm sand, downhill sand lies, or hardpan lies in the fairway. It's a Niblick-matching Cleveland CG-16 with the same Black Pearl.Finish.

- Niblick 42* is used for Chipping and 9-iron or PW approach shots

- Niblcik 49* is for Pitching and Gap Wedge approach shots

- Niblick 56* for 'normal' Sand shots and it's great for Lob shots too!

niblick.jpg  AT 42*, IT'S ALSO MY 9-IRON

niblick DWandSW.jpgniblickDW.jpgniblickSW.jpg 56* NIBLICK SW - (14* High Bounce)

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Seems Cleveland is missing an opportunity by not offering a 3rd loft in their Smart Sole line. The 16* loft gap between the 42* Smart Sole Chipper and the 58* Sand Wedge is too much. As with the earlier Niblicks, the company should offer a Smart Sole with a gap wedge loft around 49* that would be primarily for pitch shots.

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

• 2 months later...

Just bought the SmartSole S.

I'm no good out of the bunkers and apparently not willing to practice to get better!  :D Hopefully this is the solution.

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

I'm no good out of the bunkers and apparently not willing to practice to get better!  :D Hopefully this is the solution.

I have one of those and I have spanked some arse with it!  I hope you enjoy it Jim....   I could be a huge Cleveland fan boy if all their clubs were based off this success.   Who knows, I need to open my horizon. 

Cleveland

Well said.

And hilarious.

haha thanks buddy!  You never know what's gonna come out of this old country boys mouth.  :D

Cleveland

The Smart Sole S is a lifesaver for someone like me who doesn't have the time to practice sand shots a lot. I've had one since last summer and I love it.

I really need a 54* CBX to pair with it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Law of Unintended Consequences--increases pace of play. Need to play it along the ground? Grab C. Play it through the air? S is the answer. #easypeasy

:ping-small: G425 Max D 44" set to 13*

:ping-small: G430 SFT HL  5W set to 20.5*

:ping-small: G430 HL 5 Hybrid set to 27.5*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL HALO Full Face 9I 38*

:cleveland-small: CBX2 ZipCore Full Face 54*

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft Premiere 11S 34"

:ping-small: Hoofer Craz-E Lite

• 1 month later...

I decided to replace my ancient wedges with some new ones this year. For me, since my pw is 45*, I went with 50* and 54* CBX, and 58 Smart Sole 3. I really like all three new wedges, but have been really impressed how the SS3 performs from sand or grass bunkers, thick rough, and even hard pack over bunkers and water hazards.

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

• 4 weeks later...

Following up on my earlier post,the SmartSole S did not last long in my bag. Did not have success with it at all. My Cleveland RTX SW is back in the bag and doing just fine. Hopefully the SmartSole S will help my wife out. 

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

I had a choice between the Cleveland Smart Sole S and the Callaway Sure Out wedge.  I picked the Callaway, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  Since I've had it, I have not taken more than one shot to get out of a bunker.  It also works well in rough lies around the green.  I can pick the ball off a tight lie, but I would never use it for that.  Best single club purchase I've made in years!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived