Cleveland Smart Sole

If you are a casual player DO THIS.  At 119 each get the C and S and enjoy the game... the best 240 dollars you can ever spend.

I struggled for years trying to be like all the cool guys with the fancy wedges...and then I got an alien - LOVED that club.... really taught me a lot and I realized ppl didn't care what clubs I had in my bag.  This is simply a no brainer.  I might even try one just for fun.

Don't do all that work to get the ball close and then blow it next to the green...get on and start putting.

Fitting into Smart Sole 3's S or C is a piece of cake - the only options you have are gender specific: it's 58 degrees for the S and 42 degrees for the C. Standard shafts are the Smart Sole Steel or the Cleveland Wedge Flex graphite. Stock grip is the Lamkin Blue Cap for men and the Women's Smart Sole grip for the ladies.

Cleveland-Smart-Sole-3-specs.jpeg

Both clubs are available now for pre-sale now on Cleveland's website and at select retailers. Smart Sole 3 will be officially released July 24th.

MSRP is $119 in steel, $129 in graphite.

• Like 4

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

Are these taking the place of the Glide's?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

HAHA!  Loving the new glides... can really spin those puppies.

Trust me - if I was just like @GolfSpyBarbajo said - a 15+ HC or I was losing a lot of strokes next to the green I would ZERO problem gaming these... ZERO.

• Like 3

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

HAHA!  Loving the new glides... can really spin those puppies.

Trust me - if I was just like @GolfSpyBarbajo said - a 15+ HC or I was losing a lot of strokes next to the green I would ZERO problem gaming these... ZERO.

Can't tell you how much fun these are to hit out of the bunker -- stupid easy. Not a ton of versatility - tight pin placements will be a challenge, but then again, they're designed for people who simply want to get out of the damn bunker and onto the putting surface -- they'll worry about close later. 

The chipper is just like doing a bump and run with a 9 iron or PW, but with a wide sole so you can't stub it.  No spin to speak of, and it's useless as a full swing club (unless you're trying to punch out from under trees or something). 

Cleveland has done well with these things - and you can expect a LOT more from Cleveland as the summer goes on.

• Like 5

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Can't tell you how much fun these are to hit out of the bunker -- stupid easy. Not a ton of versatility - tight pin placements will be a challenge, but then again, they're designed for people who simply want to get out of the damn bunker and onto the putting surface -- they'll worry about close later. 

The chipper is just like doing a bump and run with a 9 iron or PW, but with a wide sole so you can't stub it.  No spin to speak of, and it's useless as a full swing club (unless you're trying to punch out from under trees or something). 

Cleveland has done well with these things - and you can expect a LOT more from Cleveland as the summer goes on.

This statement on the Cleveland site really speaks volumes (to me)...

"No more complicated setups, club manipulation, or swing adjustments.  Just grab your Smart Sole 3 and swing easy."

I think that is soooooo key for infrequent players; they don't have to open their stance/face/lower-the-handle/lean forward/back/sideways/upside-down.... just hit the ball like all of your other clubs.

Can't tell you how many guys I've played with either take multiple swings in the bunker, sending it sailing over the green or barely manage to get it out.... they turn a possible bogey into a quad or worse cause they can't get to their putter.

• Like 1

Love the foreshadowing there GolfSpyBarbajo!

I used to struggle with the beach, so I planted myself in one for about 8 hours total at the range hitting towards my bag, anything beyond was a fail. It took me about 5 to figure it out. Now I enjoy hitting a good lie in the bunker, I can count on it.

Had I know there were clubs to help me out of this I could have saved that 4 hours. Needed that for sure when I was a kid. I hated and was absolutely scared you know whatless of bunkers up until 2 years ago.

• Like 1

Ok, you guys almost have me convinced to give one a try.  I resisted the first go round on these because of the look, and I generally do OK from the bunker. I pretty much get out most of the time.  Sounds like these will more than OK, and possibly eliminate that 1 in 6 or 7 shots that I do leave or blade.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Ok, you guys almost have me convinced to give one a try.  I resisted the first go round on these because of the look, and I generally do OK from the bunker. I pretty much get out most of the time.  Sounds like these will more than OK, and possibly eliminate that 1 in 6 or 7 shots that I do leave or blade.

DO IT!  ;)

The "C" club sounds nice but that "S" club - both from the bunker and thick rough behind/around the green.... if you can get on and 2 putt that hc will drop pretty quick!

• Like 2

They need to make a smart putter for putting dummies like me. I need to work on my 3 putt avoidance stat...

this seems very very intriguing.... very...

• Like 1

Colour me intrigued. If I can scrounge up the money, I'll get the S club.

• Like 1

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have both the Original Smart Sole C & S wedges.  Really love the S, at 58* I use it as a Lob wedge too for nice high flop shots.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I have the original S wedge in my garage, I played it for years until I got better from bunkers and with flops.

They are stupid easy to hit, I can't count the number of times I chipped in with that thing!

• Like 2

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have the "S" wedge in my bag and love it!  My wife tried mine and she had to have her own.  I picked mine up when they first came out and have not looked back.  I'm not skilled enough to try all those trick shots around the greens with fancy wedges so this big butted heifer works great for what I need it for. 

• Like 6

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

Barba may have had an unintentional point here- anybody use a chipper to get out from under trees? Sounds feasible...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Barba may have had an unintentional point here- anybody use a chipper to get out from under trees? Sounds feasible...

No, but i carry a 2 hybrid just for this certainty...was going to say eventuality but its certain every round. I certainly use it more than a 3 wood.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 6 months later...

I bought one of these for my wife who almost never plays and never ever practices. The other day she left one in the bunker and I hopped in and grabbed her club to demonstrate all she had to do. Hit it to a foot. Drooped another ball, hit it to 5 feet. Then I thought to myself, why the hell don't I have one of these?

I grew up on hard packed muni's in North Texas with grass bunkers so I never learned to play sand shots. I've gotten a lot better but every now and then I still hit a terrible bunker shot and have no confidence standing over them. Swallowed my pride and bought one of these used on eBay the other day. 2 for 2 in sand saves with it so far and nothing left in the bunker over a long practice session. I'm sold. Pride be damned. 

• Like 6

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I bought one of these for my wife who almost never plays and never ever practices. The other day she left one in the bunker and I hopped in and grabbed her club to demonstrate all she had to do. Hit it to a foot. Drooped another ball, hit it to 5 feet. Then I thought to myself, why the hell don't I have one of these?

I grew up on hard packed muni's in North Texas with grass bunkers so I never learned to play sand shots. I've gotten a lot better but every now and then I still hit a terrible bunker shot and have no confidence standing over them. Swallowed my pride and bought one of these used on eBay the other day. 2 for 2 in sand saves with it so far and nothing left in the bunker over a long practice session. I'm sold. Pride be damned.

Yea they are great little weapons and screw the pride thing. My wife hit mine a couple times and had to have one. I'm gaming the CBX 56 presently however the S wedge ain't going far. [emoji6]

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

I'm looking at a black one, brand new for $70 on Ebay.

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!