Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Article on repairing ball marks

kevin1889

Came across this article on repairing ball marks on ForTheWin. I'm sure it's something that annoys the heck out of most of us but to see it in a visual like this article shows is interesting (and infuriating).

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/golf-course-superintendent-shares-eye-opening-pictures-to-make-an-important-point

I'm lucky to hit a GiR, so I'm always excited to have to be in a position to repair a ball mark  :D

Looks like I've at least been doing it right....I always repair mine and usually any other unrepaired ones I spot

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I always make it a point to repair at least 2 ball marks when I get on a green (mine and another).  When players in my group are reading their putts, I often try to repair all ball marks around me.

The few lessons I took when I was younger, the Pro told me that is a "rule" to fix 2 pitch marks. I learned later it wasnt but I still do it because nothing frustrates me more than a pitch mark making me miss a putt

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

The few lessons I took when I was younger, the Pro told me that is a "rule" to fix 2 pitch marks. I learned later it wasnt but I still do it because nothing frustrates me more than a pitch mark making me miss a putt

I taught at Junior Golf Camps back when I worked at a course in HS, and we always taught the Junior Golfers the same 'rule" haha

Always a good rule of thumb to repair any that you see. Glad to hear others are doing the same. No joke, I've been at courses you never thought that would be an issue and some how even at those places it is.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I think the big issue at my courses is that ball marks aren't repaired properly. I rarely see an intact ball mark. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

... Played three muni's in the Chicago suburbs last week. Naperbrook had so many ball marks I was repairing 3 a green and not making much of a diffrence as there were at least 30 or more on each green. As if once there were a few of them, golfers began not repairing any and certainly not their own. So sad to see. Then played Wedgwood and most greens there were not a single ball mark other than mine. A few greens had one maybe two unrepaired and I got those. As if there are no ball marks and golfers thankfully feel obligated to repair theirs.

... And then yesterday I was just peppering the flag having a very good day at Tamarack but would find 2 or 3 deep high spinning ballmarks within 10 feet of the cup. How do golfers putt with ball marks obviously in their vision and not repair them? Tamarack was a middle ground with maybe 10-15 ball marks per green, mostly shallow that come from shots that probably hit and rolled a lot or off the green but still, just take a look if you hit the green and repair at least one or more when you see them. 

... What perplexes me is everyone on golf forums say they always repair theirs and a few others, so who are the players out there making them and not repairing them? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Unfortunately forum golfers only make up a very small percentage of golfers.  I love golfing at my local public courses, but I am always amazed at how a lot of the golfers I get paired up with don't understand some of the most basic principles of golf courtesy.

I play at a muni, and unfortunately it's the nature of a muni. I believe that it's the Men's Club gangsome that goes off around 8-9am each morning who don't fix ball marks.  The good news is that early each morning someone fixes the ball marks, I assume it's the greens mowers.  I have played before the gangsome and there are almost no ball marks, and I have played after the gangsome and there are several.  My wife and I play after she gets off work at 5pm, and by the end of the day there are a ton of ball marks.  I fix as many as I can while I am on the green but there are too many to fix them all.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I always fix mine.. I usually try to fix as many as i see without getting carried away.. I think More experienced golfer are less likely to ignore ball marks.. Also they will be more likely to replace divots and sand fill.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I always fix mine.. I usually try to fix as many as i see without getting carried away.. I think More experienced golfer are less likely to ignore ball marks.. Also they will be more likely to replace divots and sand fill.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

about once a week myself and a buddy repair 5 each per green on our round.  Helps a bit.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

I always make it a point to repair at least 2 ball marks when I get on a green (mine and another). When players in my group are reading their putts, I often try to repair all ball marks around me.

This is exactly what my group does. We each look for an extra ball mark or two around ours. It's sad because some days I'll fix 10-15 marks a green.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's automatic for me to fix ball mark and fill divots because majority of my rounds are at my home club. All members do, I actually witness one approached another who neglect to do so. We want to keep fast smooth greens and beautiful fairway.

I use the insta golf spider. Small one for outside rounds and on my home course I use the big one so I can fix it better and faster.

IMG_0620.PNG

IMG_0619.PNG

That twisting motion in the first post seems like it would break the roots?

I try to fix an additional mark in addition to mine if there is one nearby. I just got one of those pitchfix switch blade type things because my old tool stabbed a hole in my shorts :(

The pitchfix thing is pretty cool, it goes into the grass so much better than my old one. Crazy how dull the old one seemed, but it still managed to ruin my shorts.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I think that there are a lot of newer to the game people that were never taught to repair ball marks, I see them way too often...I repair all that I can find

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'm like jlukes and repair those in my area while setting up to putt.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Lost art I think. And just smashing the ground with your putter around the mark is not the correct way to fix it lol.

Put lil effort into it.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Was discussing this on twitter with a bunch of people.  The only thing worse, to me, is people that take huge beaver-pelt divots and don't replace them (or fill the divots with sand on courses that don't replace divots)

Yes and Yes. Were in the heat of summer and tards cant fix a divot on the green or replace a pelt in the fairway. Having to sand fairways after the clueless is one thing, but spot and dots all over stressed out bent grass arent coming back any time soon.

Up agianst the wall with em I say!  :angry:

I always make it a point to repair at least 2 ball marks when I get on a green (mine and another). When players in my group are reading their putts, I often try to repair all ball marks around me.

I try to do that as well, it is a bit rare to find a public course in good shape and if I can help keep it that way why would I not!?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Lost art I think. And just smashing the ground with your putter around the mark is not the correct way to fix it lol.

Put lil effort into it.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

The problem is they have to bend over; same people pick the ball up with their putter, or pull it out of the hole with their putter, damaging the edge of the hole.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The problem is they have to bend over; same people pick the ball up with their putter, or pull it out of the hole with their putter, damaging the edge of the hole.

I know, I once said to one of my friend who's doing it with his Scotty Cameron. I said why do you do that? He said I don't care, I can always get a new putter if I scratch it up too much. I said no, the damage to the lip. Then he look stunned and said oh! Sorry.

I get pretty ticked about people not fixing their mark or other marks. It only takes a few seconds, but no they much rather stare at their ball, take a practice stroke, line up their ball again, take a practice stroke and miss the freaking putt...😨

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I get pretty ticked about people not fixing their mark or other marks. It only takes a few seconds, but no they much rather stare at their ball, take a practice stroke, line up their ball again, take a practice stroke and miss the freaking putt...

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

First thing I get to the green is to look for my ball mark and fix it, then fix the ones that's on my line. I do this every time and it starts the chain reaction. I notice some time even they scramble for a long tee to fix it. Golfers nowadays lack respect for the game and the courses.

... Played three muni's in the Chicago suburbs last week. Naperbrook had so many ball marks I was repairing 3 a green and not making much of a diffrence as there were at least 30 or more on each green. As if once there were a few of them, golfers began not repairing any and certainly not their own. So sad to see. Then played Wedgwood and most greens there were not a single ball mark other than mine. A few greens had one maybe two unrepaired and I got those. As if there are no ball marks and golfers thankfully feel obligated to repair theirs.

... And then yesterday I was just peppering the flag having a very good day at Tamarack but would find 2 or 3 deep high spinning ballmarks within 10 feet of the cup. How do golfers putt with ball marks obviously in their vision and not repair them? Tamarack was a middle ground with maybe 10-15 ball marks per green, mostly shallow that come from shots that probably hit and rolled a lot or off the green but still, just take a look if you hit the green and repair at least one or more when you see them. 

... What perplexes me is everyone on golf forums say they always repair theirs and a few others, so who are the players out there making them and not repairing them? 

I'm in the area too and Naperbrook is notorious for unrepaired ball marks.  I think it is a self perpetuating thing.  People come to the green and see all the unrepaired ball marks, can't find their own specific mark and just say "well if nobody else does it why should I?".  It becomes a problem that builds upon itself.

Archived