Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Playing from the red tees

Girlfriend happened to have the day off today so I dragged her out for a round. We both played from the forward tees. First time ever below 85, and I shot 80! Not 3 putting 18 would've meant 79 but whatever.

Seeing the different views was huge for me and 2 holes were completely different from how I normally play them. #10 is a somewhat short par 5 and from the white/blue/black (left side) you have to pick your line well. There's a bunker on the left, carry is 235-240 and the fairway opens up past the bunker, but if you go right and roll out too much, theres another bunker 15 yards further down on the right side of the fairway. But from the forward tees, the hole is straight away with 20 yards between the bunkers. #14 is a med-long par 3, carry over water for w/b/b to an hourglass shaped green dead on facing the w/b/b. Unless the pin is front right, the water doesn't affect the forward tees, however the tee box is off to the side so you have to have your distance right.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I believe you should give the red tees a try. I used to do this when I was younger and found that it gave me confidence when playing in tournaments and I had that experience behind me that I was capable of shooting low rounds. I also found that by playing further up you tend to hit shorter irons or even wedges into greens and it really forces you to work on that scoring distance which in turn translates to better scoring opportunities. Give it a shot and continue working with the wedges and putter it will eventually fall into place. Think of it as practice and disregard any weird looks you may receive. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Girlfriend happened to have the day off today so I dragged her out for a round. We both played from the forward tees. First time ever below 85, and I shot 80! Not 3 putting 18 would've meant 79 but whatever.

Seeing the different views was huge for me and 2 holes were completely different from how I normally play them. #10 is a somewhat short par 5 and from the white/blue/black (left side) you have to pick your line well. There's a bunker on the left, carry is 235-240 and the fairway opens up past the bunker, but if you go right and roll out too much, theres another bunker 15 yards further down on the right side of the fairway. But from the forward tees, the hole is straight away with 20 yards between the bunkers. #14 is a med-long par 3, carry over water for w/b/b to an hourglass shaped green dead on facing the w/b/b. Unless the pin is front right, the water doesn't affect the forward tees, however the tee box is off to the side so you have to have your distance right.

This is something I hadn't thought of... when you play from further up (red tees) you have a different vantage point of how to play longer holes.  Maybe that spot in the fairway you've been going at from the whites/blues off the tee box isn't right at all ??  maybe a different angle into the green will yield a better approach shot ??

Thanks for sharing your experience Canuck... sounds like it was fun!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Now I understand wanting to shoot better scores, but course architects design a course and place tee boxes in relation to obstacles that players of all levels will need to navigate to shoot a good score.

Say there is a lake on the left and bunkers down the right hand side 230-240 yards from the standard men's tee box, 260 from the tips and from the front tees probably 180 or so. If the average male player hits driver from the front tees they never have a risk/reward drive as they will clear those hazards with ease. To me, stepping up and clearing those bunkers with a nice drive gives me confidence that I can take on the course as the designer intended and be much more rewarding.

I'd recommend going a step further and playing a persimmon driver from the red tees. That would be a lot of fun as some it wouldn't totally eliminate all the trouble by simply gripping and ripping a 460cc driver.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I've certainly considered going 3h or 4i instead to just take the bunkers out of play all together. Also tried putting my approach shot to one side of the fairway that gives me the most green to work with. Big hump in the middle has kicked my butt more than a few times

This is something I hadn't thought of... when you play from further up (red tees) you have a different vantage point of how to play longer holes. Maybe that spot in the fairway you've been going at from the whites/blues off the tee box isn't right at all ?? maybe a different angle into the green will yield a better approach shot ??

Thanks for sharing your experience Canuck... sounds like it was fun!

Archived