TESTERS WANTED! ×

Toe strike remedy

Been hitting my driver on the toe lately, suggestions to cause & any remedies?

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Hard to say without seeing the swing. I'd guess standing too far away from the ball or pulling across the ball bringing your hands inside. I'd try standing a bit closer and working on swinging straight and through the ball. You can place a tee on each side of the ball about a inch or 2 wider then your driver. Will help you get the swing path straight and through the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I notice that I start going a little over the top when that happens.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

I've been suffering from the same exact thing. Golfing partner just suggested that I start setting up with the ball towards the heel more to see if that helps strike it center.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

For most average golfers toe strikes come from an over the top swing which causes you to cut across the ball.

My favorite drill for this is to take a bottle of water to the range, tee up the ball and set the bottle about 12-18 inches directly behind the ball and practice hitting drives without hitting the bottle.....slow swings at first then gradually add speed until you are swinging full speed. This promotion an inside path and will help you make better contact.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

For most average golfers toe strikes come from an over the top swing which causes you to cut across the ball.

My favorite drill for this is to take a bottle of water to the range, tee up the ball and set the bottle about 12-18 inches directly behind the ball and practice hitting drives without hitting the bottle.....slow swings at first then gradually add speed until you are swinging full speed. This promotion an inside path and will help you make better contact.

I saw Me and My Golf post this tip once, and I think I finally need to take heed and try it out.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I can personally tell you that it isn't always an OTT move. I was looking at my swing information on a launch monitor and my swing was about 4* in to out right to left gall flight with ball starting right if the target line. with a toe hit. I had gotten a little too far from the ball causing my arms to get closer to my body on the downswing resulting in the toe strike.

What is you ball flight when you are hitting off the toe and while you indicated driver, is the toe hit a problem with all clubs?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I can personally tell you that it isn't always an OTT move. I was looking at my swing information on a launch monitor and my swing was about 4* in to out right to left gall flight with ball starting right if the target line. with a toe hit. I had gotten a little too far from the ball causing my arms to get closer to my body on the downswing resulting in the toe strike.

What is you ball flight when you are hitting off the toe and while you indicated driver, is the toe hit a problem with all clubs?

I am doing exactly what cnosil is, so to reiterate it isn't always an OTT swing. 

In my Callaway Hyperlight 5 bag

Driver:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB 

Fairway Wood:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB

Hybrid:   :cobra-small:  King F7 2 & 3 H

Irons:   Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Mid (4-PW)

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  MD3 50/56

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne

Ball: Vice Pro + or :callaway-small: Chromesoft

Too far from the inside can cause for hits too. Just as cnosil and HDIr0n said.

That's when I catch the toe, backswing get a little inside and the follow through just ends up being too inside as well. Toe hits.

As has been said before, it's hard to give advice when we can't see the swing.  However, I would check a couple of things.  

If the ball is too far forward, or your stance is slightly open, you may be hitting the ball a fraction late in the swing which would put the ball off the toe.  What's your ball flight look like? 

You may also not be keeping your posture in the downswing.  As you come down to impact, you may be losing spine angle and raising up which pulls the clubhead away from the ball.  

It may be other issues, and you would be wise to talk to an instructor, otherwise you may be compounding your problem with more problems.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I know most have said OTT for toe strike but usually when I start coming OTT, I start striking on the heel.

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

I know most have said OTT for toe strike but usually when I start coming OTT, I start striking on the heel.

That is entirely possible as well. Everyone swings the club differently which is why a fix may not help all golfers. In the end you need to look at your individual swing to see the cause for the heel strike. It can range from a swing flaw to poor fitting clubs.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That is entirely possible as well. Everyone swings the club differently which is why a fix may not help all golfers. In the end you need to look at your individual swing to see the cause for the heel strike. It can range from a swing flaw to poor fitting clubs.

It is a crazy game we play, been killing it for the last few weeks. Go out Saturday and my golf clubs feel like some foreign tool that I have no idea how to operate.

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Taylormade TP5x

It is a crazy game we play, been killing it for the last few weeks. Go out Saturday and my golf clubs feel like some foreign tool that I have no idea how to operate.

Yep!  Some days it's GOLF... some days it's FLOG.

My miss is also on the heel.  I'm not as flexible as I once was, so I don't always start my downswing with lower body separation like I should.  So, my arms start down too soon which creates OTT and heel shots.  It's more likely to happen on the first couple of holes if I don't stretch or warm up like I should and also on the last few holes when I get tired and my back hurts.  I hate getting old!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yep! Some days it's GOLF... some days it's FLOG.

My miss is also on the heel. I'm not as flexible as I once was, so I don't always start my downswing with lower body separation like I should. So, my arms start down too soon which creates OTT and heel shots. It's more likely to happen on the first couple of holes if I don't stretch or warm up like I should and also on the last few holes when I get tired and my back hurts. I hate getting old!

You pretty much just described my swing to a tee. Sad part though I'm only 32

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Taylormade TP5x

You pretty much just described my swing to a tee. Sad part though I'm only 32

hahaha  I didn't start playing until I was 45.

hahaha I didn't start playing until I was 45.

Haha, I started young but every year since my mid 20's I start off strong and the more I play the tighter my back gets. Then the OTT swing creeps in. Then somewhere around mid summer I'll get loosened up and start playing well again.

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Taylormade TP5x

I suffer the same issue and I watched a Youtube video from Rick Shiels and he mentioned imagine hitting the ball at 7:00. For some reason that helped me with my swing path and my toe hits seemed to have gone down.

That and I took a few lessons with my old coach

8hhf0J5.png

Archived