TESTERS WANTED! ×

Want to score better?

Sluggo42

Practice your putting.

Just by not missing 2 or 3 putts within 4', and making one or two putts from 5-10 feet, you will instantly pick up 3 or 4 strokes that game.

There are a million putting drills- try some

Already a great putter?

Then you probably are already a decent player...

Great players who are great putters, are the low single digit guys

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one perspective and while the basics are fundamentally true it isn't a complete picture. Yes, taking fewer putts will always make your score lower but if my proximity to the hole was 10 feet closer on average I might also lower my score with the same putting success rate.

Hitting more fairways, hitting more greens, better course management are all possible ways to lower scores. The book every stroke counts provides a statistical model that shows putting isn't where most strokes are lost.

The way to lower scores is to improve all aspects of your game. Look at the big picture of how you play to determine the areas to prioritize.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think GIR is an overlooked stats in golf. The low digit guys are hitting at least 7-10 greens-in-reg every round, which means strokes gained off the tee become really important. If I can hit the ball long and straight off the tee, I'm probably going to hit the green. Being a great putter will help, but if you are sinking 5-10 footers for bogey/double bogey, your scores really aren't going to improve all that much. 

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

This is one perspective and while the basics are fundamentally true it isn't a complete picture. Yes, taking fewer putts will always make your score lower but if my proximity to the hole was 10 feet closer on average I might also lower my score with the same putting success rate.

Hitting more fairways, hitting more greens, better course management are all possible ways to lower scores. The book every stroke counts provides a statistical model that shows putting isn't where most strokes are lost.

The way to lower scores is to improve all aspects of your game. Look at the big picture of how you play to determine the areas to prioritize.

What you say is totally true, my point was to emphasize one distinct area that can be applied to the majority of players, as opposed to the overall picture

Putting and chipping have always been the strongest part of my game. It's the getting to the green that seems to be the challenge...

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

There's no question that improved putting leads to lower scores.  As a bonus, putting is one of the easiest skills to improve, in a relatively short time.  The mechanics of putting are pretty simple, compared to a full swing, and you can hit a LOT of putts in a pretty short session.

But for a player who shoots 100, dropping 3 or 4 strokes is a small part of the problem.  The way for most players to get the biggest impact on scores is to improve ballstriking on full shots.  A lost ball counts as 2 strokes lost, keeping 2 more tee shots in play gets the same decrease in score as the putting changes.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It's all important, and what's important to one player may not be what's important to another player.   If we are talking about someone who shoots 100, that could be someone who has good distance, but can't keep it in play.  It could also be someone who doesn't hit the ball very far, keeps it in play but has a terrible short game.  

The ball has to be kept in play; that's #1.  If it's not in play or in hazards, the shots add up quickly.  But if a player keeps it in play, many shots can be saved around the green.  This player is me.  It's how I can shoot low scores, or high scores if my short game is not working that day.  

Anyone can improve their short game with practice, and I practice quite a bit.  I can't swing like DJ, JD, or any pro but I am a firm believer that with practice, anyone can putt as well as a pro.  I'm not there yet, but it's possible.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't remember the last time I miss any putts inside 8 feet.

Sure I probably missed a few, I just don't "remember" them.

You sound like Jack Nicklaus

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So what I get from this thread is: if I keep the ball in play off the tee, hit more greens and make a few more putts. My scores will improve. Ha

So yep. Its all important. Kenny did a good job describing the challenges of different type players.

I tend to be his type player as eel. I've gotten much shorter over the last 5 years but also much more accurate.

I consider myself a good putter. But with more practice I could become better than good. I believe.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I don't remember the last time I miss any putts inside 8 feet.

Sure I probably missed a few, I just don't "remember" them.

That contributes to your 2 cap as well

Of course getting better at everything will lower your scores.

But, a 3 foot putt equals a 300 yard drive on the score card.

So almost every golfer could putt better with just a little more disciplined practice.

How many putts do you miss every round that makes you mad? A few probably, right ?

How many 5-10 footers do you "almost make"? What if one or two of them fall in?

So if you've been playing for 30 years, but still shoot 90's, the odds are you've spent countless hours hitting full practice shots, right?

Watch the pros on the practice greens- what I see is that they spend a lot of time on very specific shorter putts, and that's why they rarely miss second putts, and the ones that run out to the leads are usually making some of their longer putts too.

I'm not saying improved putting will make you better at roping your drives down the middle, or better at GIR. Obviously those skills help you score.

I'm saying that you can shave a few strokes by becoming a more serious and more disciplined putter, and that's something we all can improve

If we are specifically taking putting there are some basic skills that should be mastered that will likely have benefits for all golfers

1. Start the ball on intended line. This is the first skill to master. If you can't accomplish this the other skills are difficult to achieve. This is a core fundamental that can be practiced anywhere.

2. Need to be able to control speed/distance. Leaving a putt 6 feet short or blowing it 6 feet past the hole put a lot of pressure on you putting game.

3. Green reading. Not every putt is straight so you need to be able to determine where the ball will go. This skill is tied to the other 2 skills. If you can't start the ball on line at the right speed you cannot build the knowledge to accurately evaluate a putt.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Watched one of the pros on the putting green at the Seniors Players the other night on the putting green.  He was practcing 5 footers, with only his left (lead) hand.  Just one after another after another.  And he rarely missed one.  I'm sure for him it's a simple drill, but it was impressive to watch.  

I find it hard to make a birdie unless you can either stuff it close with a wedge or hit a 15-20 foot putt...  I've given myself many birdie chances over my last 3 rounds but can't make a putt over 15 feet to save my life.

Thankfully...if I do 3 putt...it is only 1x per round so I can lag it fairly close (3-5 feet)...

Sadly - the range I go to is only for hitting full shots and does not have a practice green... I need to bite the bullet and find one that has a putting green...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I find it hard to make a birdie unless you can either stuff it close with a wedge or hit a 15-20 foot putt...

It looks to me like the pros make about 1 in 15 or less from 15 to 20 feet.  The way to make birdies, hit it closer.  Hit it longer off the tee, in play, for a shorter second shot, get that one closer.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Completely speaking anecdotaly, my best scores come in the rounds I hit the most greens. I can 1-2 putt 16-17 times a round on average, so if I'm on the green in regulation, I'm looking at some decent scores. If I'm off in the trees off the tee, hitting 7-4 irons into greens, or missing wide left or right with short irons/wedges I don't care how well I"m putting, I'm not putting up a good number. Good putting could keep me away from a really nasty number, but definitely not something I'll be happy with at the end of the day. 

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

As I read this I come to 1 conclusion. If we all have better ball striking, Hit it longer and in the fairway, stick our approach shots close and 1 putt all the hole we'll have lower scores... Hmmm 

And If i did that consistently I would not be working for a living, I'd be playing golf for a living.. 

That's excactly why we are here, cause we all do not play that game we all have our struggles. and each of us have differnet areas to be worked on.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

As I read this I come to 1 conclusion. If we all have better ball striking, Hit it longer and in the fairway, stick our approach shots close and 1 putt all the hole we'll have lower scores... Hmmm

And If i did that consistently I would not be working for a living, I'd be playing golf for a living..

That's excactly why we are here, cause we all do not play that game we all have our struggles. and each of us have differnet areas to be worked on..

I think OP's main point was that putting better takes pressure off the rest of your game.

Everyone else's point is that if you have at least one area of expertise, you can compensate for other shortcomings.

What we have here is a classic case of the chicken and the egg.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I think OP's main point was that putting better takes pressure off the rest of your game.

Everyone else's point is that if you have at least one area of expertise, you can compensate for other shortcomings.

What we have here is a classic case of the chicken and the egg.

Yep, I said it many times here. I've seen significant improvement in my game and scores just by doing 2-6 footer putting practice. It takes pressure off my lag putts, my short game, may approach as well as my driving.

I'm a single digit player, but it's only because of my short game. I average about 27 putts a round, but I only hit 4 fairways and 7 greens on average. Of course I'm working on that. But putting and chipping are my saviors...

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

If we are specifically taking putting there are some basic skills that should be mastered that will likely have benefits for all golfers

1. Start the ball on intended line. This is the first skill to master. If you can't accomplish this the other skills are difficult to achieve. This is a core fundamental that can be practiced anywhere.

2. Need to be able to control speed/distance. Leaving a putt 6 feet short or blowing it 6 feet past the hole put a lot of pressure on you putting game.

3. Green reading. Not every putt is straight so you need to be able to determine where the ball will go. This skill is tied to the other 2 skills. If you can't start the ball on line at the right speed you cannot build the knowledge to accurately evaluate a putt.

I agree totally.  However, I focus on #2 first.  When I practice putting, my main focus is on speed.  If I miss the line a little by either misreading or not starting the putt on the correct line, I will have a relatively short next putt.  If my speed is off but I am on the correct line, I could have a lengthy next putt.  I always spend a lot of time on putting when I am at an unfamiliar course to get the speed correct before I play.  I have also found that spending more time putting before a round at my home course is important when I play at a different time of the day than normal.  

I heard someone on the Golf Channel say once:  "If you have the right line and the right speed, the ball will go in the cup."  Well... that's a brilliant analysis!

I'm a single digit player, but it's only because of my short game. I average about 27 putts a round, but I only hit 4 fairways and 7 greens on average. Of course I'm working on that. But putting and chipping are my saviors...

That's a sick low putt average- I don't think any pros are that low...

That's like one-putting half the holes..

I shot 76 Sunday with 25 putts. I made 3 over 20 feet. It's the one thing I can count on. Haha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I shot 76 Sunday with 25 putts. I made 3 over 20 feet. It's the one thing I can count on. Haha.

Those sound like my FIR/GIR stats. So all I have to do is drain 20 footers and I'll be chilling in the 70's too!

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Those sound like my FIR/GIR stats. So all I have to do is drain 20 footers and I'll be chilling in the 70's too!

I shot 69 at Cog Hill Ravines a while back and only hit 7 greens. I'm in trouble so much I guess I'm just good at getting out of it... Which is why I'm taking lessons because if I can hit fairways then I can most likely hit 12+ greens and who knows what happens then!! Fingers crossed though. Dreams are dreams. Gotta keep em alive though right?!

I agree totally.  However, I focus on #2 first.  When I practice putting, my main focus is on speed.  If I miss the line a little by either misreading or not starting the putt on the correct line, I will have a relatively short next putt.  If my speed is off but I am on the correct line, I could have a lengthy next putt.  I always spend a lot of time on putting when I am at an unfamiliar course to get the speed correct before I play.  I have also found that spending more time putting before a round at my home course is important when I play at a different time of the day than normal.  

I heard someone on the Golf Channel say once:  "If you have the right line and the right speed, the ball will go in the cup."  Well... that's a brilliant analysis!

HAHA... kind of like in football season when they say that the team that scores the most points usually win!

I agree with you on speed/pace - that is so important - you can adjust your alignment, but like you said, if you can't get the pace right you're still going to struggle.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I shot 69 at Cog Hill Ravines a while back and only hit 7 greens. I'm in trouble so much I guess I'm just good at getting out of it... Which is why I'm taking lessons because if I can hit fairways then I can most likely hit 12+ greens and who knows what happens then!! Fingers crossed though. Dreams are dreams. Gotta keep em alive though right?!

Love that thought!! And one day we will make up for that mised opportunity in FL. I'm sure of it. Keepin it alive!!

Not to knock the average since you have to make putts but only hitting 7 greens gives you 11 one putt opportunities .

Archived