Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Want to score better?

Sluggo42

Not to knock the average since you have to make putts but only hitting 7 greens gives you 11 one putt opportunities .

Oh no doubt!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For practice I focus on line. For warmup I focus on distance getting a feel for the greens

Focus on line first was the advice provided by my putting instructor. It works on mechanics to ensure a consistent stroke and face angle no matter the length of the putt

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For some reason it doesn't usually all come together for me. I mean one round I can have over 40 putts and score in the high 90's and the very next round I can putt in the low 30's and still shoot in the high 90's. I distinctly remember putting 46 times in one round and the very next round I had 34 putts and still shot the same score.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

That's a sick low putt average- I don't think any pros are that low...

That's like one-putting half the holes..

Which means he's missing greens but chipping it close more often than not. Not so much a measure of good putting as it is a measure of good hands around the green.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Which means he's missing greens but chipping it close more often than not. Not so much a measure of good putting as it is a measure of good hands around the green.

Yeah. Which is almost a direct quote from his original comment stating that his short game is his Savior.

I'm a single digit player, but it's only because of my short game. I average about 27 putts a round, but I only hit 4 fairways and 7 greens on average. Of course I'm working on that. But putting and chipping are my saviors...

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

The problem with most golfers who have putting problem is they are treating putting as a science. Putting is an art.

If you can toss a ball to your partner's hand a few yards away, you have the necessary hand eye coordination to make putts on the green. You'd do it without thinking about the angle of release, the velocity and the trajectory of the ball leaving your hand to your friend's hand.

There are at least 3 speed and lines option on every putts. Fast and firm putting speed takes straightest line and least break. Medium speed takes more break, and slower speed take the most break. So you can only get an idea of how the put may brake but when your brain tells you the line it already pick the speed. Your job is simply stay out of the way and let it happen.

Around the green shots and especially on the green, pros have no physical advantage than any golfers. Putting from outside 20 feet statistics are pretty close between pros and amateurs. On shorter putts especially 3-4 footer, amateur has slight mental advantage because most pros are afraid of missing these short putts. Afraid is a kind way to put it.

My secret sauce is practice making the putts. I want to hear the putts drops. The more I do it the more confidence I am. There's no point practicing 20 footer one after another and seeing miss putts after miss putts. Put your brain on autopilot during the round and you'll be amazed how close you get your first putt.

The problem with most golfers who have putting problem is they are treating putting as a science. Putting is an art.

There are multiple ways to solve a problem; some take the artistic approach and some take the scientific approach. People are wired differently and you have to find what works for you. Lots of ways to toss a ball; you still have to find the one that works best for you just like you have to find the best way to putt.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sure putting is important....if you really want to shave strokes practice everything from 100 yards and in....especially 30 yards and in.

Get those chips and pitches closer to the hole and then you'll have more 5-10 footers to save pars.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Yeah. Which is almost a direct quote from his original comment stating that his short game is his Savior.

I'll call it an Executive Summary then

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

... Putting from outside 20 feet statistics are pretty close between pros and amateurs. On shorter putts especially 3-4 footer, amateur has slight mental advantage because most pros are afraid of missing these short putts. Afraid is a kind way to put it.

HUH??? 

You must not have played with the guys I have... 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

This is one perspective and while the basics are fundamentally true it isn't a complete picture. Yes, taking fewer putts will always make your score lower but if my proximity to the hole was 10 feet closer on average I might also lower my score with the same putting success rate.

Hitting more fairways, hitting more greens, better course management are all possible ways to lower scores. The book every stroke counts provides a statistical model that shows putting isn't where most strokes are lost.

The way to lower scores is to improve all aspects of your game. Look at the big picture of how you play to determine the areas to prioritize.

Exactly what I logged on to write. The closer you hit it to the hole in regulation the better putter you'll be. Plus for an older guy excessive putting practice is extremely hard on the back - seriously. Following this advice would hamper my ability to play.

Advice about working on putting is meant to help but it's old advice. Newer data suggests there are better approaches for saving strokes. You need to analyze your own game carefully to see where the gaps lie and either work on them or manage around them.

Saving strokes is not a one size fits all proposition.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Everyone is mostly talking about putting, chipping, hitting fairways, etc... yep, those will all improve your score/game. What I haven't read is managing your game. I'm mostly referring to risk taking. My advice will probably save a lot of guys around here 2 or more strokes a round. Especially higher handicap players. Another way to think about this; Stop trying to be a hero by pulling off the 1 out a 100 shot. You'll lose. Learn to recognize your honest ability and stop trying stupid stuff that turns a bogey into a double, triple or worse. As one example only... punch your ball back onto the fairway and try to get up and down for a par. It happens sometimes. At worst... you make bogey. Take it and move on. Right there you've shaved one stroke off your card where before you tried to pull off the near impossible and make a double or triple.

Think about this and enjoy your lower score today.  :)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Apart from a very rare shocking day with the putter, my bad scores are nearly always the result of bad misses off the tee.

Sure, everyone should be able to get around with low 30's putts, but this won't automatically make for a low score. Quite often if I have mid 20's it's just a reaction to missing greens and chipping well.

Obviously you need to do everything at least ok to score well, but really bad full swings will cost more shots than really bad putting most of the time.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

It's an interesting concept, of average putts per game.

Some in the 20's, most in the thirty, either high or low.

But they don't really correlate to scoring that much. Some people count any shot with the putter as a "putt" whereas others only count a putt as a "putt", if the ball is actually on the green.

But at the end of the round, does it really matter? Because your final score doesn't really care about which method you count putts.

The point of this thread was to simply say that I think the vast majority of players could shave a few strokes by becoming a little more familiar with their flat stick.

How many people go to the range and pound bucket after bucket, then hop in their car and roll, without even looking at the practice green?

If you have a grooved full swing that's wrong- it won't improve regardless of how many balls you hit.

But if you spend 15 minutes circling one hole, working on 2,3,4,5,6 foot putts, you will get better, regardless of your putting style

Then take some longer putts to get a feel of speed.

This is a process that anyone can do for free, and it will help you sink more putts.

Regardless of how many shots it takes you to get there...

For that, is a whole different discussion...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Practice your putting.

Just by not missing 2 or 3 putts within 4', and making one or two putts from 5-10 feet, you will instantly pick up 3 or 4 strokes that game.

There are a million putting drills- try some

Already a great putter?

Then you probably are already a decent player...

Great players who are great putters, are the low single digit guys

I would agree and expand this to anything inside 20 yards (ideally 100). Even your best players miss greens but good wedges and a strong putter make up for a lot of those and the occasional hole out from the fringe always helps.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

For me, the thing that will lower my scores most is getting consistent from 60-100 yards. I'm absolutely smashing my tee shots and finding fairways, but my approaches in and scramble ability are absolute ass cancer. I could have saved 10 strokes today in pitches and putts. That's just MY game though, I don't know if it's something that's so easily-generalized. I'm sure we could all benefit from putting only 18 times, but that's a bit unrealistic.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Apart from a very rare shocking day with the putter, my bad scores are nearly always the result of bad misses off the tee.

Sure, everyone should be able to get around with low 30's putts, but this won't automatically make for a low score. Quite often if I have mid 20's it's just a reaction to missing greens and chipping well.

Obviously you need to do everything at least ok to score well, but really bad full swings will cost more shots than really bad putting most of the time.

I can relate to this, shot 85 this weekend couldn't hit a green or fairway but only had 29 putts. Everything failed me that day except for chipping and putting.

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

Couldn't agree more... I can "recover" from a bad putt and I've never lost a ball on a putting green ::lol::

A bad iron/tee shot is much harder to recover from...if I can find it!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Putting is very important in golf. There's no way around the fact that you use your putter more per round than any other club in the bag. That being said ever player's game is different.

I think that fastest way to improve your score is to understand and improve your misses. I hear a lot of people saying they are bad off the tee because they missed three fairways. That's not bad, that's golf. The pros don't hit every fairway. But yet those are the people that sit on the range blasting nothing but driver and then get frustrated that they are not improving.

To get a good unbiased evaluation of your game have an on the course lesson. These are great because the pro will watch you play a few holes then tell you what you should be working on.

But if you want my opinion as a forum member, not having played with anyone here, I believe any amateur can save shots practicing around the green. Missing a drive or fairway shot won't hurt you as much if you have the ability to get up and down for par. The other part as I've said in other posts is course management. Just because you can hit driver or go for a par five in two doesn't always mean you should.

To improve you have to practice and you have to practice your weaknesses which is something no one likes because it is not as fun as working on your strengths.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Putting is very important in golf. There's no way around the fact that you use your putter more per round than any other club in the bag. That being said ever player's game is different.

I think that fastest way to improve your score is to understand and improve your misses. I hear a lot of people saying they are bad off the tee because they missed three fairways. That's not bad, that's golf. The pros don't hit every fairway. But yet those are the people that sit on the range blasting nothing but driver and then get frustrated that they are not improving.

To get a good unbiased evaluation of your game have an on the course lesson. These are great because the pro will watch you play a few holes then tell you what you should be working on.

But if you want my opinion as a forum member, not having played with anyone here, I believe any amateur can save shots practicing around the green. Missing a drive or fairway shot won't hurt you as much if you have the ability to get up and down for par. The other part as I've said in other posts is course management. Just because you can hit driver or go for a par five in two doesn't always mean you should.

To improve you have to practice and you have to practice your weaknesses which is something no one likes because it is not as fun as working on your strengths.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

100% agree. I spent a solid hour and a hlaf practising my chipping and putting before a round. The next 3 days I had my best scores in a while

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have come to believe in Bob Rotella's self image theory. If your comfort zone is shooting 80, and you start playing bad somehow your brain finds the way to step it up and bring your game back on to shoot in your comfort zone. Vice versa, if you are on the hot streaks and not comfortable with it your brain would find the way to cool down the score. It's like self fulfilling prophecy.

I've been working very hard on the mental side of the game and staying out of my way on the course. It's been paying off lately. I've been fortunate that I could find some distraction in between shots.

I have come to believe in Bob Rotella's self image theory. If your comfort zone is shooting 80, and you start playing bad somehow your brain finds the way to step it up and bring your game back on to shoot in your comfort zone. Vice versa, if you are on the hot streaks and not comfortable with it your brain would find the way to cool down the score. It's like self fulfilling prophecy.

I've been working very hard on the mental side of the game and staying out of my way on the course. It's been paying off lately. I've been fortunate that I could find some distraction in between shots.

I believe it was Annika, who the only time she was focused on her shot was when she was in an imaginary box 10' x 10' around her ball. When she stepped in, she was focused on the shot, once she hit, the focus turned away from golf. That really helped me out.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Caught a bit of the Golf Channel last night and one of the questions was about maintaining focus when you have to wait so much between shots.  The example they had was how Louis O. (I'm not spelling his last name :lol:) put a black dot on his glove with a marker.  It was his on/off switch.  When he was ready to hit -- and concentrate -- he pressed the button (touched the dot) to turn it 'on' and when he was done he pressed it again to turn it 'off'.  Kinda hokey but the guy won a major doing it apparently...maybe I should give it a go ??  :o

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Caught a bit of the Golf Channel last night and one of the questions was about maintaining focus when you have to wait so much between shots.  The example they had was how Louis O. (I'm not spelling his last name :lol:) put a black dot on his glove with a marker.  It was his on/off switch.  When he was ready to hit -- and concentrate -- he pressed the button (touched the dot) to turn it 'on' and when he was done he pressed it again to turn it 'off'.  Kinda hokey but the guy won a major doing it apparently...maybe I should give it a go ??  :o

What if he said his on/off button was his butt, and that he smelled his finger after pressing the "button?" Would you still give it a go?  :lol:

What if he said his on/off button was his butt, and that he smelled his finger after pressing the "button?" Would you still give it a go?

Hahaha, I laughed way too hard at this 😂

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

Hahaha, I laughed way too hard at this

LOL! Just poking a little fun (pun intended). I know stroker wasn't serious about following such a silly superstition. The moment presented itself and I just had to do it.

Everyone is mostly talking about putting, chipping, hitting fairways, etc... yep, those will all improve your score/game. What I haven't read is managing your game. I'm mostly referring to risk taking. My advice will probably save a lot of guys around here 2 or more strokes a round. Especially higher handicap players. Another way to think about this; Stop trying to be a hero by pulling off the 1 out a 100 shot. You'll lose. Learn to recognize your honest ability and stop trying stupid stuff that turns a bogey into a double, triple or worse. As one example only... punch your ball back onto the fairway and try to get up and down for a par. It happens sometimes. At worst... you make bogey. Take it and move on. Right there you've shaved one stroke off your card where before you tried to pull off the near impossible and make a double or triple.

Think about this and enjoy your lower score today. :)

This is most certainly true. Course management and self disciple is a huge issue for many players. Way under rated.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived