Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Want to score better?

Sluggo42

At the end of the day you gotta love what you are playing. If you are playing courses with fast green you gotta love fast greens with lots of breaks. If you are playing courses with slow Bermuda greens you gotta love putting them, well actually I can't, I'm allergic to Bermuda :)

Playing tight courses? Hey I love target golf. Lots of bunkers and water? I love forced carry type holes. How can you get frustrated doing something you love. I love playing golf and that's also why I only took 11 years off from golf and not any longer :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I'm playing well I'm hitting the driver great. Hitting fairways and the shot shape that I want. Sure putting is very important, you use your putter the most out of the entire bag... but for my game it's about letting the big dog eat !!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

When I'm playing well, I'm chipping and putting well.  I have days where I don't drive the ball particularly well, but it's never out of play.  My lowest rounds... in the 70's... is because of my short game.  My highest rounds... in the mid to high 80's... is because of my short game.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When I'm playing well, I'm chipping and putting well. I have days where I don't drive the ball particularly well, but it's never out of play. My lowest rounds... in the 70's... is because of my short game. My highest rounds... in the mid to high 80's... is because of my short game.

Seems like we have the same game.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

At the end of the day you gotta love what you are playing. If you are playing courses with fast green you gotta love fast greens with lots of breaks. If you are playing courses with slow Bermuda greens you gotta love putting them, well actually I can't, I'm allergic to Bermuda :)

Playing tight courses? Hey I love target golf. Lots of bunkers and water? I love forced carry type holes. How can you get frustrated doing something you love. I love playing golf and that's also why I only took 11 years off from golf and not any longer :)

It's a fallacy to think that Bermuda greens are slow. That was true 20 years ago but modern equipment and agronomy has changed that. Plus most quality Southern courses have changed their greens out to heartier hybrid grasses that create firm and fast conditions.

I grew up in and lived the first fifty years of my life in Northern climates on Northern grasses. I will take old school Bermuda over the inconsistent and bumpy Po-Anna that invades so many of those courses any day. :).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's a fallacy to think that Bermuda greens are slow. That was true 20 years ago but modern equipment and agronomy has changed that. Plus most quality Southern courses have changed their greens out to heartier hybrid grasses that create firm and fast conditions.

I grew up in and lived the first fifty years of my life in Northern climates on Northern grasses. I will take old school Bermuda over the inconsistent and bumpy Po-Anna that invades so many of those courses any day. :).

Well I wish I can confirm that, but it's been over 15 years since the last round I played Bermuda. We used to play a lot of courses in Palm Springs in the summer because we love the 115* heat :) no because it was less than half price.

On one of the course I played about 11 holes I felt hot and extra sunburn on my face it turned out my face had swollen to a good size not too bad but noticeable. I didn't feel too bad so we finished the round. After lunch it went away. We didn't know what happened.

Fast forward a few more years, we played another course with another 2some. It happened again. The older guy was telling me it's the grass, his friends has the same allergy, heck I thought grass were grass. Since then I stay away.

The resort I worked at have po-anna/bent and I agree, it makes for extra putting fun.

Purely anecdotal, but I remember watching Johnny Miller at the 3M a while back, and after he smoked his drive, he turned to the gallery a little befuddled and asked "what, nothing for a 300yd drive? You guys'll cheer for a 30 foot putt, but not that? Anyone can sink a 30 foot putt..."

Improve any area and your scores will drop, but depending on YOUR game, different areas will help more or less. I'm pretty sure Mark Broadie said for the average amateur, the long game is where we can gain the most strokes.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived