TESTERS WANTED! ×

I told the kid not to buy them.

Street11

So I was selling a set of Nike Vapor Pro irons on a classifieds site in Utah. They were in MINT condition with X100s AMT 4-PW. I stated the specs and everything and even linked a couple of review of the clubs so people would know what they were buying. Well yesterday a kid contacted me and told me that he was really interested and we talked about he price and came to an understanding. So I meet up with him and he takes the iron and asks, "What does X100 mean?". I just kinda sat there for a few seconds then asked him how much he golfs and more questions about his game. Well he just started a months ago and loves it and is now golfing like 3 times a week. After more questions I found out he knew nothing about Flex, MB, CB... I mean any golf term. Long story short I literally tried to convince him not to buy them but to try something a little more forgiving but over and over he said, "but they look so awesome" and "I'm sure I'll be fine".

I mean really guys, I tried, I really did. In the end he drove off with them and now I feel like a con artist or something. IMG_4815.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

So I was selling a set of Nike Vapor Pro irons on a classifieds site in Utah. They were in MINT condition with X100s AMT 4-PW. I stated the specs and everything and even linked a couple of review of the clubs so people would know what they were buying. Well yesterday a kid contacted me and told me that he was really interested and we talked about he price and came to an understanding. So I meet up with him and he takes the iron and asks, "What does X100 mean?". I just kinda sat there for a few seconds then asked him how much he golfs and more questions about his game. Well he just started a months ago and loves it and is now golfing like 3 times a week. After more questions I found out he knew nothing about Flex, MB, CB... I mean any golf term. Long story short I literally tried to convince him not to buy them but to try something a little more forgiving but over and over he said, "but they look so awesome" and "I'm sure I'll be fine".

I mean really guys, I tried, I really did. In the end he drove off with them and now I feel like a con artist or something. attachicon.gifIMG_4815.JPG

Those ARE some awesome looking clubs though. I feel like you should be able to sleep with a clear conscience that you did your best to steer him in the right direction and he still drove off the cliff.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'm a believer that you should play what appeals to you, if you're just an average golfer who's looking to have fun. Hopefully that's what he's trying to do, because he's gonna have a hard time with those.

But damn, those are C R I S P.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

That's hilarious. How old was this kid, and did he know the difference between a 9 iron and a 5 iron?

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

He was probably late 20s I think and honestly don't think he knew much with golf terms. I asked him what flex he played and he said he didn't know but "swung hard so I'll be alright". Like really I didn't want to insult this kid but... I feel terrible

You did the best you could....hewill either learn to hit them or sell them in a few months to buy something else.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

He was probably late 20s I think and honestly don't think he knew much with golf terms. I asked him what flex he played and he said he didn't know but "swung hard so I'll be alright". Like really I didn't want to insult this kid but... I feel terrible

Ha! That reminds me of a time I went to Dick's (I know I know, first mistake) looking for some stiffer wedge shafts. I ask the kid and he picks up one of the steel shafts, starts bending it, and goes "well these metal ones are about as stiff as it gets."

I walked/ran right out of the store.

IMG_4229.PNG

Jynx! You both owe me a coke

Hey you gave him the info and tried to dissuade him don't feel bad.

Maybe he loves them, practices and does fine.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Your conscience should be clear, you can't control what someone else does when you provide all of the need information for them to make an intelligent decision.  Like others have said, maybe he can hit them fairly well and if not hopefully he will have the good sense to sell them soon and get something better suited for him. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

How many times have you bought something on impulse? I know I have and hopefully that young buck will hit the jackpot. If not he'll be wiser next go round

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Maybe if he learns to hit those irons from the start, he will be better off in the long run...

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

You did great IMHO You were honest and that is what counts. I hate to say it but honest folks like you are a rare bird these days. Again IMHO you should be able to look at yourself shaving in the mirror every morning.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ha! That reminds me of a time I went to Dick's (I know I know, first mistake) looking for some stiffer wedge shafts. I ask the kid and he picks up one of the steel shafts, starts bending it, and goes "well these metal ones are about as stiff as it gets."

I walked/ran right out of the store.

attachicon.gifIMG_4229.PNG

Jynx! You both owe me a coke

He probably got away with making quite a few sales like that. For every one person like you that knows his stuff there are at least 10 who do not know Jack.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

You did great IMHO You were honest and that is what counts. I hate to say it but honest folks like you are a rare bird these days. Again IMHO you should be able to look at yourself shaving in the mirror every morning.

Big picture, it's not like you sold him a gun or a bomb either.

I started before Ping came out with their cavity back. It was Wilson Staff, Ben Hogan, etc. Golfsmith sold a simple tool to check if ball was round. Lots of them weren't. Ram's 3D ball was the first ball I remember with a surlyn cover. Before that it was wound balata balls that were easy to cut and knock out of round. To quote Dan Jenkins, "Boss, you done hit a voodoo ball!".

Maybe if he learns to hit those irons from the start, he will be better off in the long run...

Yep, and you gave him the skinny as best you could. A sweet set of clubs with a hard to find sweet spot doesnt have to be and thing to start with. There was a time when a choice set of McGregors had to be figured out too and many managed it much to their benefit.

I mean really guys, I tried, I really did. In the end he drove off with them and now I feel like a con artist or something. attachicon.gifIMG_4815.JPG

I think you did the youngster a favor. He'll likely learn how to strike the ball better with those clubs rather than GIs, over time. (I wish I was playing 3 times per week)

Sent from my 831C using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You have nothing to worry about.. 

I sold my Race Quad a few years ago.. With a as is where is warranty.. this this was set up to race.. the kid wanted to have a toy, more money than brains.. I told him to not try anything until he got used to it this was not a kids toy. all i got was Yeah yeah.. I heard a few weeks later that he all but destroyed it at the local track when he hit a jump he shouldn't have and cartwheeled it .. 

I warned him... no broken bones or nothing serious just embarrassed... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I attempted to not sell a kid this massive PC he wanted me to build. He worked at McDonald's at the time and was getting a loan from the bank to pay for this $5000 PC. I tried and tried to convince him that I could build him a PC that would kick butt for $1500. In the end he still bought it. Some people are just set in their ways. Nothing you can do

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Sadly money management isn't valued like it once was. Media and marketing teach kids to get the flashiest thing on the market so they can keep up with the Joneses

My buddy took up Golf about a year ago. I sold him a old set of stiff graphite shaft Taylormade Irons to get him going. Few months later he went out and bought these same Vapor Irons. I also said wait a minute let's think about if they are right set for you. He has dropped 10 strokes from his Handicap. I think he did just fine. Club fit his eye and that sometimes is everything.

Sent from my Z981 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Your conscience is clear. You can lead a horse to water...

Will serve to subconsciously teach him how to strike the ball. You helped him

I personally don't think so. I'm a pretty good ball striker but those Nike Vapor Pros were unbelievably unforgiving. I went to a set of Nike VR Pro Combos and the difference is quite stark. With all the options out there, I would never recommend MBs to a beginner golfer.

I personally don't think so. I'm a pretty good ball striker but those Nike Vapor Pros were unbelievably unforgiving. I went to a set of Nike VR Pro Combos and the difference is quite stark. With all the options out there, I would never recommend MBs to a beginner golfer.

After my first week with my 900 tours, I agree that they're way more forgiving than my Pro Combos were.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

i didn't start back to golf back in 2013 and played in high school. got the nike Gi irons and wanted to play blades so i got the nike vr pro blades. took me couple weeks to learn how to hit the middle on every swing. long story short, in a local tournament and jus having them for a month. shot a 79 for the first time in my life and i never shot 80s always 90-93. but i went out everyday rain or sunny. i hit and hit and hit balls everyday till i could repeat the same ball mark that was in the middle. yea people told me not to buy blades because i won't be able to hit them at all or even score low and people bought blades and never worked out for them. honestly with my cousin telling me that and laughing at me. that built fire inside of me to get better with these clubs. took no lessons jus watched few videos and stuff. but blades has taught me to find the middle on each hit. got way more feel and feedback and could feel the ball where it hits on the face. i'm playing apex now but going back to a MB once they drop the 2018 clubs. love the thin top line and small head and jus clean simple design with a small soles.

don't worry you sold ur clubs oh well the kid will learn on how to hit them right or end up selling them. if it was me i'd encourage the kid that u better find the middle cause if u don't. your ball will not go further then 110y if ur hitting it on the heel or the toe

Archived