TESTERS WANTED! ×

So frustrated. Feel like quitting

wakefield724

So i picked up golf 3 months ago and became addicted. I am very satisified with my progress, I am driving 285 consistently and straight, doing well with irons and putting, struggling with hitting fairway and hybrid off the ground and i am awful at pitching but I am learning. I have been an athlete my entire life and this is my favorite sport.

Today really got to me. Hit me hard. I joined an outing. I was so excited. I practiced for 3 weeks over an hour a day, dieted like I do for my boxing matches, and came ready to play. I had an okay team, not great but respectable. We did such a great job today, we scored a -9 and won the outing. Here is where things went south.

The tournament director was playing in the outing and was mad that we beat his team, Last minute, AFTER the tournament was over he decided to change the prizes and that no teams will get prizes. He only paid out for 3 longest drives and 3 longest putts which 2 of the 6 were him. No recognition, to acknoledgment on us winning. 

I LOVE golf. Finally I can play a sport that I can constantly improve on and not get my face beat in. Today is really hitting me hard though. I feel all my hard work and all my effort went down the drain and was for nothing. 

As jlukes said, just don't worry about scrambles. They are for charity anyway, so just have fun! I used to get pretty frustrated with golf. But once I started having more fun with it, the scores started to drop. Just shake off what happened today and get back out there!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

So i picked up golf 3 months ago and became addicted. I am very satisified with my progress, I am driving 285 consistently and straight, doing well with irons and putting, struggling with hitting fairway and hybrid off the ground and i am awful at pitching but I am learning. I have been an athlete my entire life and this is my favorite sport.

Today really got to me. Hit me hard. I joined an outing. I was so excited. I practiced for 3 weeks over an hour a day, dieted like I do for my boxing matches, and came ready to play. I had an okay team, not great but respectable. We did such a great job today, we scored a -9 and won the outing. Here is where things went south.

The tournament director was playing in the outing and was mad that we beat his team, Last minute, AFTER the tournament was over he decided to change the prizes and that no teams will get prizes. He only paid out for 3 longest drives and 3 longest putts which 2 of the 6 were him. No recognition, to acknoledgment on us winning. 

I LOVE golf. Finally I can play a sport that I can constantly improve on and not get my face beat in. Today is really hitting me hard though. I feel all my hard work and all my effort went down the drain and was for nothing. 

Don't worry about scrambles. Play them for the right reason.... to support a good cause and just have a fun day with your buddies. If you win a skin or two, great! Winning an outing never pays much, and most times the winnings are turned back in for the cause. They are just a fun thing to do..... keep that in mind. 

There is no end to the cheating that goes on in outings/scrambles. Not worth getting excited over it.

So you have only been playing for 3 months and you're ready to throw in the towel.  You got to gird up them loins son and put ya I'm not a quitter panties on.  Golf IMO is harder than boxing because you can't bully your way around the course. I have been in the boxing ring during my younger days and boxed briefly in the Army.   Boxing was a piece of cake in comparison to having mental strength coming down the home stretch in the club championship. Don't ever give up on this game and trust me you will learn more about what you're made up on the golf course than you will in the gym...  

Hold ya head up and git ya arse back on the course!  Winners win and quitters never impress me. You got this!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Everyone has pretty much said it all.  Welcome to the other side of golf.  Scamble tournaments are fake handicaps and frustration.  Just play them for the enjoyment of being with friends. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Golf is full of a bunch of self righteous a holes. Just avoid them. Enjoy your game. F$&K everyone else. I saw this at at the local course, that's why I'm not involved. Everyone thinks they are better than everyone.

They all cheat, and are horrible. Just walk Arnie's line of etiquette and grow the game in a good way. Let them have "their winnings"!

Happened to me with a hole in one, they wouldn't recognize it because my son age 5 was too young.

I don't give one sh!t what anyone else is doing out there so long as they aren't slow or hitting in to me.

Of my podium.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Keep at it. Pay no attention to the scramble and acknowledgement, some people are just too little fo you to waste your time thinking about. It's infinitely more important that you give yourself a kudo or two and keep going.

Wait til you start in the tournament and play with some sandbagers you'll know how the game really plays.

Alan is right.

There everywhere and run roughshod on the course as in life, as 'we' take it as if accepting our "frustration" is just part of the deal. Well, the herd takes it so whats your problem? Im sure youll get the Man up speech which of course means man up after you take it? Jeez...

My question would be did he walk away with the loot without being called out?

And the answer more than likely is yes.

And theres youre answer. All take it and the crooks win.

3 months and you find the game of integrity is just like everything else now.

"oh well' is the cry of the 'victims' of the crooks and liars and cheats, and oh well is the reply you got and the cry you get when you tell others of this. Right?

Being pissed at the game at this stage is understandable. Frustration in the whole idea of it makes sense too.

Hard lessons are just that. Keep swinging...

I'm frustrated too. Ran into another hack group using the range finder on every single shot. A 320 yard Par 4 that took them 5 shots to get to about 113 yards by my best guess. I went back and played 3 holes over before they even putted out. That is the worst thing in the world. I can't stand that crap.

Then a group of 4 wouldn't even acknowledge me when I caught up to them and politely asked to play through, as there were only 4 groups our there on the entire course, including the back 9.

These are the kind of people that a ruining the game. Leaving ball marks, dropping the pin from head height, hacking their a$$es down the rough/trees/OB... I can't stand that, it drives me absolutely nuts. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to play a short par 4, I could play it 3-5 times in 20 minutes.

My personal opinion, this is the problem with golf. Nothing else. Just terrible golfers out there slowing the whole course up.

I'm frustrated too. Ran into another hack group using the range finder on every single shot. A 320 yard Par 4 that took them 5 shots to get to about 113 yards by my best guess. I went back and played 3 holes over before they even putted out. That is the worst thing in the world. I can't stand that crap.

Then a group of 4 wouldn't even acknowledge me when I caught up to them and politely asked to play through, as there were only 4 groups our there on the entire course, including the back 9.

These are the kind of people that a ruining the game. Leaving ball marks, dropping the pin from head height, hacking their a$$es down the rough/trees/OB... I can't stand that, it drives me absolutely nuts. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to play a short par 4, I could play it 3-5 times in 20 minutes.

My personal opinion, this is the problem with golf. Nothing else. Just terrible golfers out there slowing the whole course up.

The worst is when all 4 go to each person's ball to watch them hit. Get to your own and be ready to hit!

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I must be missing something here. You said you just started 3 months ago and really love the game, yet you are ready to quit playing because a tournament director screwed your team out of a prize???? I'd think the proper response would be to tell the tournament director to go to hell next year when he asks you and your team to enter his tournament again, not quit the game entirely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I must be missing something here. You said you just started 3 months ago and really love the game, yet you are ready to quit playing because a tournament director screwed your team out of a prize???? I'd think the proper response would be to tell the tournament director to go to hell next year when he asks you and your team to enter his tournament again, not quit the game entirely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, exactly. Well said deejaid.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Sure sounds familiar. We simply jump where we need to anymore. These 4 would get asked and then I would blow by them. Never have gotten the dumbass stare but dont ask anymore. We even jump on the back first anymore if theyve stacked the front, and if there is a range finder anywhere on one we do the same. Phone apps are getting better and work faster without dumas at the controls. The best clubs still have sprinkler yardage and thats where the whole thing went south. We spent 2-3g having them all gps-ed and mapped made many years ago, and the cost is nothing compared to the huge time it saves and ease of play it brings. Bean counters and tool my friend to the point of they dont even exist... as you blow by.

Scrambles are notorious for vanity handicaps, guys pencil whipping scorecards and stacking teams. I'll play in a few now and then to support a few charities and just for fun.

As others have said, golf is mostly a game between you and the course, it's about always looking to hit the perfect shot, it's not about winning prizes in some tournament. Keep working on your game and have fun.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

So you have only been playing for 3 months and you're ready to throw in the towel.  You got to gird up them loins son and put ya I'm not a quitter panties on.  Golf IMO is harder than boxing because you can't bully your way around the course. I have been in the boxing ring during my younger days and boxed briefly in the Army.   Boxing was a piece of cake in comparison to having mental strength coming down the home stretch in the club championship. Don't ever give up on this game and trust me you will learn more about what you're made up on the golf course than you will in the gym...  

Hold ya head up and git ya arse back on the course!  Winners win and quitters never impress me. You got this!

After reading this post again it looks like wakefield  was not so much talking about quitting golf as he was about how folks cheat or bend the rules. Like others have said when you play in a scramble tournament you're pretty much guaranteed that will be one bunch of clowns who have a sharp pencil.   Don't let that deter you from enjoying the day with your buddies.   As far as quitting the game after three months, that's not gonna happen is it?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

If you're bombing the ball 285 after THREE months of playing, I suggest you do anything but let some t#@t of a golf director get you down. As most have said, there's gonna be garbage like that everywhere, you just gotta ignore them and focus on what YOU are playing for. Be it for fun, friends, or for the challenge, just do it and don't let anyone else have any say in it.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Scrambles are fake golf. Wait until you get the shanks before quitting.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Scrambles are fake golf. Wait until you get the shanks before quitting.

Scrambles screw up my game for a few rounds after. That style of golf doesn't jive at all with my game.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

... I have been enjoying this game a loooong time. I play a lot as a single as I have a very erratic schedule. In my experience the good FAR out weigh the bad. Like every other walk of life their are certainly a$$holes out there and for the most part I just ignore them and go about my own business. 

... I was playing about 20 years ago with 2 grungy stoners in their mid 20's that worked at the graveyard next to the course and yes they were pretty baked. The 4th player we were paired up with was in his mid 40's and as dorky an accountant as you can imagine. I was in my early 40's. All 3 were good guys but as different as possible. Lots of good natured swearing from the stoners and some "gosh darns" from the accountant. It was slow so we had plenty of time to talk and conversation wasn't awkward at all. After 14 holes the accountant had to leave as his wife was picking him up at a specific time whether he was finished or not. So we all shook his hand, he said he enjoyed playing with us and off he went. 

... I turned to the 2 stoners and said "Pretty good guy for a complete dork huh?" They both agreed he was and I told them golf is about the only thing that could have brought the 3 of us together. "Huh?" asked the stoners and I said if they ran across me as a well dressed seemingly preppie kind of guy or the accountant at the graveyard would they be thinking "I would love to play some golf with those 2 guys!" They laughed and said He!! NO! And I said that is the wonderful thing about the game as it brings people together from all walks of life and they enjoy playing the game together but more importantly they find out they actually can enjoy each others company in their common endeavor.

... So yea, you run across some real jerks but if you aren't one of them, you will run across a bunch of people that enjoy the game just as much as you do, and deep down, not so different than you. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

The only winning in golf is hitting great feeling golf shots that set you up for your next shot! Everything else is a bu product! Golf is like a chick you will fall in and out of love your whole life! Hit em straight!

acemkr9

Man, that sucks. It sucks when we're reminded that even when doing things we love, there are times when something or someone will attempt to ruin it. Don't let anyone do that to you. Regain your focus.

It really sucks to get cheated! Especially after you've put in hard work do and be your best.

Here's a question or two for you. Were you playing for prizes or for the love of the game? Did you need the prizes?

I'm not attempting to minimize how you feel or what you experienced.

Like you, I'm new to the game and I've fallen head over shaft for her (that was my attempt at golf humor). I've put in lots of hours to learn and get better. And I'm gonna keep putting the work in. Because I love this game.

By your own admission, you love the game, too. Keep loving it, man! Keep having fun with it! Enjoy it! Don't give anyone the power over how you feel. Take your power back. Yes, be angry and all that. Just don't pitch your tent there. Go and take that anger and frustration out at the range or when you box. But don't let anyone steal your love. Golf is "your girl"! Don't let nobody steal your girl from you, maaaaaan! 😂 Seriously tho.

Be competitive and all that, too. Just don't lose sight of your love and passion for golf and the fun in it.

Get back to loving this great game of ours! ⛳👊🏾

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Even on days when I play terribly, I still love this great game.

Wilson C300 5-sw

Old TaylorMade driver and putter. Need to update both!

Golf is a game of integrity. Anyone can come out and cheat but they lose on the most important part...integrity. i play golf against my greatest opponent...myself...and i seldom win because im only satisfied with perfection, something nearly impossible in golf.

If you play for trophies, you can achieve that easily....i have trophies from most sporting events and they mean little. At the end of the day, in golf, IMO, its about beating the GREATEST competition...me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Dude, where I play, it's all politics and BS. Do not let crap like that derail you.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

just let it go, head out with some good golf buddies and you'll remember why you play

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Was this outing at Bushwood CC? The judge should pay up. Speaking of him, has anyone heard from Judgesmails. Haven't seen him a round lately.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... I have been enjoying this game a loooong time. I play a lot as a single as I have a very erratic schedule. In my experience the good FAR out weigh the bad. Like every other walk of life their are certainly a$$holes out there and for the most part I just ignore them and go about my own business.

... I was playing about 20 years ago with 2 grungy stoners in their mid 20's that worked at the graveyard next to the course and yes they were pretty baked. The 4th player we were paired up with was in his mid 40's and as dorky an accountant as you can imagine. I was in my early 40's. All 3 were good guys but as different as possible. Lots of good natured swearing from the stoners and some "gosh darns" from the accountant. It was slow so we had plenty of time to talk and conversation wasn't awkward at all. After 14 holes the accountant had to leave as his wife was picking him up at a specific time whether he was finished or not. So we all shook his hand, he said he enjoyed playing with us and off he went.

... I turned to the 2 stoners and said "Pretty good guy for a complete dork huh?" They both agreed he was and I told them golf is about the only thing that could have brought the 3 of us together. "Huh?" asked the stoners and I said if they ran across me as a well dressed seemingly preppie kind of guy or the accountant at the graveyard would they be thinking "I would love to play some golf with those 2 guys!" They laughed and said He!! NO! And I said that is the wonderful thing about the game as it brings people together from all walks of life and they enjoy playing the game together but more importantly they find out they actually can enjoy each others company in their common endeavor.

... So yea, you run across some real jerks but if you aren't one of them, you will run across a bunch of people that enjoy the game just as much as you do, and deep down, not so different than you.

One of the best posts I've ever had read. You can only imagine what happens to people when they find out what I do.

I'm going to adopt the "I'd like him if I were playing golf with him" mantra about peoplefrom now on.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived