TESTERS WANTED! ×

Getting Fit

Hey Y'all. When is it too soon (if there is such a thing) to get fit for my own clubs? I'm new to the game and I'm using used clubs. Some better/newer than others. I've heard 2 schools of thought:

1. Wait until I get better and then get fit for my own set.

2. Get fit immediately, because it will help my game to be using clubs made just for me.

Sooo...What do y'all think? What's your advice? Looking forward to gleaning from your knowledge. Thx in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Even on days when I play terribly, I still love this great game.

Wilson C300 5-sw

Old TaylorMade driver and putter. Need to update both!

What keeps people from getting custom fit?

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/20102-What-keeps-people-from-getting-custom-fit%3F

This thread ought to give you a good start for reference.

The best note I took away from it is that your body type won't change so you should get fit as soon as possible. Your swing will affect the lie angle a tiny bit but not enough to warrant putting it off. Take it from me, a guy who put off getting fit for 2 years before I finally took the plunge and shaved many strokes immediately.

Besides getting fit for length and lie, you also need to be fit for the type of club head and shafts you need as well. There's so much variety out there you really should have someone coach you through the selection. Just try to avoid getting "advice" from the big box stores.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Are you taking lessons?  What are your goals?

I believe in getting fit earlier to ensure you have the basics correct.   If you are taking lessons,  I would work with my pro to see what things are being changed to see if the changes would require significant lie and/or length changes based on your swing. 

We all use "used" clubs because once they are hit they are used.   Buying used is an economical way to get more up to date equipment at a lower cost.   As long as the flex is correct and the shaft generally fits you,  it is easy to get someone to adjust the length and lie.   You can go get fit to understand what you need and then buy used clubs that meet the necessary specs.  You can find great deals at places like callaway preowned.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

To be honest the only thing that I would consider something as a newbie to the game would be go somewhere that has a lie board. The lie angle of the club being adjusted correctly for you can save you some major headaches. Inclusive of the putter. I'm a single digit handy cap, and I have my lie angle adjusted yearly. The guy I go to charges me $2 a club to bend so it's not a big expense. It's really the first thing you should get done. As far as shafts go, I always fit my iron shafts based on the characteristics I wanted the ball to do and how far I hit my 7i. However, I will say that I have gone in the past to a fitter for the experience and the end result was to stay with the current setup I had created through trial and error. Nonetheless, the experience was fun and informative. Lastly, you have to ask yourself if you are ready to commit to the cost of getting custom fit for a set of irons and the cost of the upgraded components as well as the price of the clubs. I would say you are looking at $1000-$2000 to be properly fit depending on the equipment you choose to get. I hope this helped or at least gave you some things to consider. Good luck in your fitting journeys

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

Once that you are sure that golf is " for you" in other words you are committed to playing the game and your not going to try it for 6 months and quit......then get fit, it can only help the enjoyment of your game.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

If you want to get better, get fit. Some people golf for work, some as a family function/social thing, and some for the sport. The latter is the type that is always trying to get better, the other two enjoy it, but not for the satisfaction of getting better.

What do you typically shoot now? How much better do you want to get? Even if you shoot 110, I'd say you could benefit from a fitting. You wouldn't start training for a marathon with shoes that don't fit you. Unlike running, golf clubs can actually offer you some help.

My case is a little different because I've been golfing my whole life, but my driver fitting opened my eyes up to my game. It's the best club in my bag hands down, and if my recent iron fitting is even 50% as successful, I'm going to smash my personal bests by December. I just recently started playing again after not playing consistently since 10 years ago, and playing about 5 18-hole rounds in the last 6 years (3 rounds of 18 in the last 2 months).

Get a fitting, with a reputable fitter. I love knowing that my clubs fit me, it removes that uncertainty. I'm like the official MGS hype man for club fittings. I'm just THAT much more successful with my driver that I believe it can help anyone. The wait for the Mizunos continues... So stoked to see how I do with them.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/20102-What-keeps-people-from-getting-custom-fit%3F

The best note I took away from it is that your body type won't change so you should get fit as soon as possible. Your swing will affect the lie angle a tiny bit but not enough to warrant putting it off. Take it from me, a guy who put off getting fit for 2 years before I finally took the plunge and shaved many strokes immediately.

Besides getting fit for length and lie, you also need to be fit for the type of club head and shafts you need as well. There's so much variety out there you really should have someone coach you through the selection. Just try to avoid getting "advice" from the big box stores.

Great advice. Thx for the link, too. Lots of helpful information there, too 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

Are you taking lessons? What are your goals?

I believe in getting fit earlier to ensure you have the basics correct. If you are taking lessons, I would work with my pro to see what things are being changed to see if the changes would require significant lie and/or length changes based on your swing.

We all use "used" clubs because once they are hit they are used. Buying used is an economical way to get more up to date equipment at a lower cost. As long as the flex is correct and the shaft generally fits you, it is easy to get someone to adjust the length and lie. You can go get fit to understand what you need and then buy used clubs that meet the necessary specs. You can find great deals at places like callaway preowned.

Good advice. I'm leaning very heavily towards going to get fit sooner rather than later. Thx for your help 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

Get fit now. There is nothing that says you can't get fit again later, if your swing changes.

Excellent point 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

To be honest the only thing that I would consider something as a newbie to the game would be go somewhere that has a lie board. The lie angle of the club being adjusted correctly for you can save you some major headaches. Inclusive of the putter. I'm a single digit handy cap, and I have my lie angle adjusted yearly. The guy I go to charges me $2 a club to bend so it's not a big expense. It's really the first thing you should get done. As far as shafts go, I always fit my iron shafts based on the characteristics I wanted the ball to do and how far I hit my 7i. However, I will say that I have gone in the past to a fitter for the experience and the end result was to stay with the current setup I had created through trial and error. Nonetheless, the experience was fun and informative. Lastly, you have to ask yourself if you are ready to commit to the cost of getting custom fit for a set of irons and the cost of the upgraded components as well as the price of the clubs. I would say you are looking at $1000-$2000 to be properly fit depending on the equipment you choose to get. I hope this helped or at least gave you some things to consider. Good luck in your fitting journeys

Good stuff. I think the cost is worth it. Thx man 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

Once that you are sure that golf is " for you" in other words you are committed to playing the game and your not going to try it for 6 months and quit......then get fit, it can only help the enjoyment of your game.

I'm already there with golf being "for me". So your advice is on point! Thx 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

If you want to get better, get fit. Some people golf for work, some as a family function/social thing, and some for the sport. The latter is the type that is always trying to get better, the other two enjoy it, but not for the satisfaction of getting better.

What do you typically shoot now? How much better do you want to get? Even if you shoot 110, I'd say you could benefit from a fitting. You wouldn't start training for a marathon with shoes that don't fit you. Unlike running, golf clubs can actually offer you some help.

My case is a little different because I've been golfing my whole life, but my driver fitting opened my eyes up to my game. It's the best club in my bag hands down, and if my recent iron fitting is even 50% as successful, I'm going to smash my personal bests by December. I just recently started playing again after not playing consistently since 10 years ago, and playing about 5 18-hole rounds in the last 6 years (3 rounds of 18 in the last 2 months).

Get a fitting, with a reputable fitter. I love knowing that my clubs fit me, it removes that uncertainty. I'm like the official MGS hype man for club fittings. I'm just THAT much more successful with my driver that I believe it can help anyone. The wait for the Mizunos continues... So stoked to see how I do with them.

Much to break down in what you said. Very helpful. Thx! 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

What are your thoughts on top 100 club fitters? Worth it? There's at least one near me.

Wilson C300 5-sw

Hey Y'all. When is it too soon (if there is such a thing) to get fit for my own clubs? I'm new to the game and I'm using used clubs. Some better/newer than others. I've heard 2 schools of thought:

2. Get fit immediately, because it will help my game to be using clubs made just for me.

Sooo...What do y'all think? What's your advice? Looking forward to gleaning from your knowledge. Thx in advance!

Not sure if this is the way to ask a follow-up question based on my previous post, but I don't want to start a new thread and confuse anyone. Especially myself 😂

Is it worth going to someone who's designated as a top 100 club fitter? There's at least one near me.

Wilson C300 5-sw

This is the place I'm thinking about going to get fit: http://www.granvillegolfland.com/

Wilson C300 5-sw

This is the place I'm thinking about going to get fit: http://www.granvillegolfland.com/

Top 100 fitters in America? Go for it!

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Once I got fit for my Pings "Which I Love!" My game really took off I dropped my handicap by a lot and saved a lot of money in the process. The next step was I got in physical shape. Which took my game to a whole other level. I would recommend getting fit both clubs and physically.

Not sure if this is the way to ask a follow-up question based on my previous post, but I don't want to start a new thread and confuse anyone. Especially myself

Is it worth going to someone who's designated as a top 100 club fitter? There's at least one near me.

I would say yes. When I previously mentioned my fitting experience this is what I did. The guy I went to was out of Ardmore PA. He was expensive but the money was kind of worth the piece of mind that you are getting some solid advice.

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

I read the website and the fitting if you don't buy clubs the fitting is $50.  That is very reasonable to see what you might need.   As you are just getting into the game,  what I would suggest is that you talk with the fitter and see what specs you might need.  Then you can take the recommendations and shop for used clubs which will save you a lot of money.   Might not find what you need initially but you will be able to get clubs that are a year or two older for significantly less that new.    Most manufacturers offer enough options that you should be able to find what your are looking for.    Since they also offer lessons,  you will probably get some basic advice on things to work on.   

call or go talk to them and tell them what your goals are and see how they can help you and their recommendations. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not advice but a quick story...

A friend has been wanting to get fit for irons and he did. Great right? I don't think so and here's why. He was on a golf vacation at a resort and one of the courses he played had a Callaway fitting center. Previously he had asked me several times about the fitting process and things to consider so naturally I gave him my 2-cents. As basic fitting info I suggested he select as good a fitter as he can find and go into it with an open mind. In other words shop around first and ask some questions. This guy is about a 12 hcp. player. Skipping forward I don't think the guy took any advice I offered. Ok fine... I'm no expert. But here's what I learned....

First mistake is he went for a fitting after playing 18-holes and told me he was tired soon after they got started. Second.. he only had Callaway clubs to select from. So right there he eliminated the other 90% of the market. I had suggested that he test several brands and models and let the fitting guide him into the right clubs. He didn't. Another thing I found odd was that he was fit into irons an inch longer than what he'd been playing. Std. length I'd imagine. This guy is the same height as me. (5'10") I asked if the fitter made any measurements such has floor to wrist, etc and he said no. The so called fitter didn't even take measurements from his existing set. He only tested two head models and two shafts. Steel & graphite. Bingo.. you're fit. Let's place the order. I guess you know the rest. The salesman, ehem... fitter; send the specs to Callaway and they'll ship him some irons. BTW... he told me his total cost including the so-called fitting will be right at $2,000!!

I think my friend got taken. And yes.. he ordered the irons. IMO these Callaway and TaylorMade fitting centers located at resorts for there for one purpose. To snag a tourist.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Once I got fit for my Pings "Which I Love!" My game really took off I dropped my handicap by a lot and saved a lot of money in the process. The next step was I got in physical shape. Which took my game to a whole other level. I would recommend getting fit both clubs and physically.

Interestingly enough, I've already started the physical part. Found out how important that is, at least to me, to help my game. Great advice! Thx 👊🏾💪🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

I would say yes. When I previously mentioned my fitting experience this is what I did. The guy I went to was out of Ardmore PA. He was expensive but the money was kind of worth the piece of mind that you are getting some solid advice.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thx 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

I read the website and the fitting if you don't buy clubs the fitting is $50. That is very reasonable to see what you might need. As you are just getting into the game, what I would suggest is that you talk with the fitter and see what specs you might need. Then you can take the recommendations and shop for used clubs which will save you a lot of money. Might not find what you need initially but you will be able to get clubs that are a year or two older for significantly less that new. Most manufacturers offer enough options that you should be able to find what your are looking for. Since they also offer lessons, you will probably get some basic advice on things to work on.

call or go talk to them and tell them what your goals are and see how they can help you and their recommendations.

Hey, thx for taking the time to read that 👊🏾 Thorough advice. I really appreciate it 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

Not advice but a quick story...

A friend has been wanting to get fit for irons and he did. Great right? I don't think so and here's why. He was on a golf vacation at a resort and one of the courses he played had a Callaway fitting center. Previously he had asked me several times about the fitting process and things to consider so naturally I gave him my 2-cents. As basic fitting info I suggested he select as good a fitter as he can find and go into it with an open mind. In other words shop around first and ask some questions. This guy is about a 12 hcp. player. Skipping forward I don't think the guy took any advice I offered. Ok fine... I'm no expert. But here's what I learned....

First mistake is he went for a fitting after playing 18-holes and told me he was tired soon after they got started. Second.. he only had Callaway clubs to select from. So right there he eliminated the other 90% of the market. I had suggested that he test several brands and models and let the fitting guide him into the right clubs. He didn't. Another thing I found odd was that he was fit into irons an inch longer than what he'd been playing. Std. length I'd imagine. This guy is the same height as me. (5'10") I asked if the fitter made any measurements such has floor to wrist, etc and he said no. The so called fitter didn't even take measurements from his existing set. He only tested two head models and two shafts. Steel & graphite. Bingo.. you're fit. Let's place the order. I guess you know the rest. The salesman, ehem... fitter; send the specs to Callaway and they'll ship him some irons. BTW... he told me his total cost including the so-called fitting will be right at $2,000!!

I think my friend got taken. And yes.. he ordered the irons. IMO these Callaway and TaylorMade fitting centers located at resorts for there for one purpose. To snag a tourist.

Man, thx for sharing. That sucks for your friend! Good warning and advice for me. Thx!

Wilson C300 5-sw

I've been fit there. Good place. Bring a towel if it's hot because your hands will get sweaty lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If I could, I would go back and get some lessons first and then be fit, but I did feel like my game improved quite a bit immediately after getting for, because I'm so far outside the realm of "standard"

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I've been fit there. Good place. Bring a towel if it's hot because your hands will get sweaty lol

Sage advice 😂 sweaty palms would be a bad thing

Wilson C300 5-sw

• 2 weeks later...

Get fit and take lessons - any good pro will recommend what type of clubs to buy - used or last year's model new are great options

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Get fit and take lessons - any good pro will recommend what type of clubs to buy - used or last year's model new are great options

That's great advice, Phoenix. Thx 👊🏾

Wilson C300 5-sw

Archived