Not advice but a quick story...

A friend has been wanting to get fit for irons and he did. Great right? I don't think so and here's why. He was on a golf vacation at a resort and one of the courses he played had a Callaway fitting center. Previously he had asked me several times about the fitting process and things to consider so naturally I gave him my 2-cents. As basic fitting info I suggested he select as good a fitter as he can find and go into it with an open mind. In other words shop around first and ask some questions. This guy is about a 12 hcp. player. Skipping forward I don't think the guy took any advice I offered. Ok fine... I'm no expert. But here's what I learned....

First mistake is he went for a fitting after playing 18-holes and told me he was tired soon after they got started. Second.. he only had Callaway clubs to select from. So right there he eliminated the other 90% of the market. I had suggested that he test several brands and models and let the fitting guide him into the right clubs. He didn't. Another thing I found odd was that he was fit into irons an inch longer than what he'd been playing. Std. length I'd imagine. This guy is the same height as me. (5'10") I asked if the fitter made any measurements such has floor to wrist, etc and he said no. The so called fitter didn't even take measurements from his existing set. He only tested two head models and two shafts. Steel & graphite. Bingo.. you're fit. Let's place the order. I guess you know the rest. The salesman, ehem... fitter; send the specs to Callaway and they'll ship him some irons. BTW... he told me his total cost including the so-called fitting will be right at $2,000!!

I think my friend got taken. And yes.. he ordered the irons. IMO these Callaway and TaylorMade fitting centers located at resorts for there for one purpose. To snag a tourist.

• Like 1

Once I got fit for my Pings "Which I Love!" My game really took off I dropped my handicap by a lot and saved a lot of money in the process. The next step was I got in physical shape. Which took my game to a whole other level. I would recommend getting fit both clubs and physically.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Interestingly enough, I've already started the physical part. Found out how important that is, at least to me, to help my game. Great advice! Thx 👊🏾💪🏾

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I would say yes. When I previously mentioned my fitting experience this is what I did. The guy I went to was out of Ardmore PA. He was expensive but the money was kind of worth the piece of mind that you are getting some solid advice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, that makes sense. Thx 👊🏾

I read the website and the fitting if you don't buy clubs the fitting is $50. That is very reasonable to see what you might need. As you are just getting into the game, what I would suggest is that you talk with the fitter and see what specs you might need. Then you can take the recommendations and shop for used clubs which will save you a lot of money. Might not find what you need initially but you will be able to get clubs that are a year or two older for significantly less that new. Most manufacturers offer enough options that you should be able to find what your are looking for. Since they also offer lessons, you will probably get some basic advice on things to work on.

call or go talk to them and tell them what your goals are and see how they can help you and their recommendations.

Hey, thx for taking the time to read that 👊🏾 Thorough advice. I really appreciate it 👊🏾

Not advice but a quick story...

A friend has been wanting to get fit for irons and he did. Great right? I don't think so and here's why. He was on a golf vacation at a resort and one of the courses he played had a Callaway fitting center. Previously he had asked me several times about the fitting process and things to consider so naturally I gave him my 2-cents. As basic fitting info I suggested he select as good a fitter as he can find and go into it with an open mind. In other words shop around first and ask some questions. This guy is about a 12 hcp. player. Skipping forward I don't think the guy took any advice I offered. Ok fine... I'm no expert. But here's what I learned....

First mistake is he went for a fitting after playing 18-holes and told me he was tired soon after they got started. Second.. he only had Callaway clubs to select from. So right there he eliminated the other 90% of the market. I had suggested that he test several brands and models and let the fitting guide him into the right clubs. He didn't. Another thing I found odd was that he was fit into irons an inch longer than what he'd been playing. Std. length I'd imagine. This guy is the same height as me. (5'10") I asked if the fitter made any measurements such has floor to wrist, etc and he said no. The so called fitter didn't even take measurements from his existing set. He only tested two head models and two shafts. Steel & graphite. Bingo.. you're fit. Let's place the order. I guess you know the rest. The salesman, ehem... fitter; send the specs to Callaway and they'll ship him some irons. BTW... he told me his total cost including the so-called fitting will be right at $2,000!!

I think my friend got taken. And yes.. he ordered the irons. IMO these Callaway and TaylorMade fitting centers located at resorts for there for one purpose. To snag a tourist.

Man, thx for sharing. That sucks for your friend! Good warning and advice for me. Thx!

• Like 1

If I could, I would go back and get some lessons first and then be fit, but I did feel like my game improved quite a bit immediately after getting for, because I'm so far outside the realm of "standard"

• Like 1

Get fit and take lessons - any good pro will recommend what type of clubs to buy - used or last year's model new are great options

• Like 1

Get fit and take lessons - any good pro will recommend what type of clubs to buy - used or last year's model new are great options

That's great advice, Phoenix. Thx 👊🏾

• Like 1

Don't want to hijack your thread but I think this also pertains to your situation.

I got fitted awhile ago and was pretty much getting back in the game and since then my game has changed significantly. Is it common to get specs changed/refitted after awhile?

Sent via Pony Express

• Like 1

Don't want to hijack your thread but I think this also pertains to your situation.

I got fitted awhile ago and was pretty much getting back in the game and since then my game has changed significantly. Is it common to get specs changed/refitted after awhile?

Sent via Pony Express

It's all good 👊🏾 Hijack away! This is a great question.

How'd your fitting go?

Hey, thx for asking. Haven't gone yet. Been on the grind for work. Also decided to take a step back from getting fitted and I'm going to get some lessons first. Will probably do both at the same place. Looking at golftec and maybe miles of golf. Any recommendations for lessons?

• Like 1

Hey, thx for asking. Haven't gone yet. Been on the grind for work. Also decided to take a step back from getting fitted and I'm going to get some lessons first. Will probably do both at the same place. Looking at golftec and maybe miles of golf. Any recommendations for lessons?

Golf tech is reputable and darn that work always getting in the way!

• Like 2

As Rev said Golftec I'd very reputable. But a bit expensive. They are running an August 20% off. So that my make it worth while.

Kieldog (I think that's his current name. Ha) recently went to Miles of Golf and can't say enough good about it. I have heard that from others as well.

• Like 1

Golftec definitely has all the latest and greatest technology, I looked at them for lessons but there were two main reasons I chose not to. 1) I didn't want to hit into a net or off a mat 2) I talked to 2 of the guys, first one was just starting out and wanted someone more experience, second guy I just didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling, it felt like I was more interested then he was.

As someone that has been looking for a quality instructor, I'd strongly suggest you just have a 5 min conversation with them before you sign up. I think personality is almost as important as ability.

• Like 1

Golftec definitely has all the latest and greatest technology, I looked at them for lessons but there were two main reasons I chose not to. 1) I didn't want to hit into a net or off a mat 2) I talked to 2 of the guys, first one was just starting out and wanted someone more experience, second guy I just didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling, it felt like I was more interested then he was.

As someone that has been looking for a quality instructor, I'd strongly suggest you just have a 5 min conversation with them before you sign up. I think personality is almost as important as ability.

Sage advice. Thx for taking the time to chime in and help me. Agreed, personality and love for what you do makes a huge difference. Will definitely have that 5 minute chat, too 👊🏾

As Rev said Golftec I'd very reputable. But a bit expensive. They are running an August 20% off. So that my make it worth while.

Kieldog (I think that's his current name. Ha) recently went to Miles of Golf and can't say enough good about it. I have heard that from others as well.

Heck of a deal, 20% off. Miles of golf, I've only read very good things about them, too. Thx for offering your help and wisdom to me 👊🏾