TESTERS WANTED! ×

Trade in the 5 wood for a 2 iron?

Hey guys... I'm currently playing M1 woods (D/3/5) and Callaway Apex 16' irons (4-GapW). When I'm not hitting my woods well, the go-to is always 4-iron off the tee. My driver Swing speed is about 115 on average so I usually get about 225-235 yards with the 4-iron off the tee and almost always find the fairway with it. I only ever play my 5wood on par 5's when I'm about 245 out from the green...other than that it just usually stays in the bag. That said, I'm looking at replacing it with a driving iron (2i) to give myself more yards off the tee when I'm playing my woods badly. Has anyone ever done the same? My only issue would be when I was 245ish out on a long hole, and in that position I could always hit a 70% 3wood... What do you guys think? I'm currently around a 6-8 handicap and would likely be lower if I could ever learn to putt!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

I say go for it. I ❤️ driving irons. As long as there isn't a forced carry, you can still reach those 245 yard greens because of the great rollout you get with the 2 iron.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

2 irons are my favorite. Learn the knock down with it, if your fairways are cut tight you can run that ball for miles!

Warning though, if you don't hit your 3 iron solidly every time... maybe a 2 hybrid, but you'll lose some of that "run", fairway woods are over rated.

I'm pretty money with the 4 iron off the tee. On the deck, I have to make sure to compress it by really striking down on it which I do correctly maybe 70% of the time. The other 30% I usually fade it out right or thin it.

I literally just had the same battle! However, my decision came down to putting the 5wood in the bag. I have both a 2i (callaway APEX UT) and 5wood. Here is what I tested on the course and on the range: the distance with both clubs was within a yard or 2 on average with the 5 wood having greater overall distance. The biggest factor though was the carry. I like you have a swing speed with the driver around 115 so you may get similar results. Regardless, the carry on my 2i was 230-240, but the roll because of launch angle, it would get me anywhere from 25-40 yards. This was nice off the tee but into long par 5s it was hard to get the ball to stop, if I was playing into a firm green. I found my self having to work harder at hitting the ball higher to land softer, not an easy task with a 2i. Now the 5 wood, by nature of the club, had a higher launch angle and I was to able to more consistently hit the ball with a carry of 250 but more importantly the ball would land softer on the green. Also I do play a 3i in the bag which is my 225-230 club so the 5 wood fit better for my gaps in my clubs. So for fair conditions and wet conditions I game the 5 wood and I game the 2i mainly on windy days now for the lower launch angle as I found it gives me more control. So in the end having both the 5wood and 2i on call is a nice thing to have. But as I mentioned I game the 5wood more frequently for the aforementioned reasons. Hope this helps with your decision.

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

Well recently I went the opposite way and put the 5 wood back in the bag. Now trust me I can still hit a 1 ,2 or 3 iron but I do not compress the ball nearly as much. I had recently as much as 5 months ago found a 22* Hybrid I can hit and for me it is stupid easy to hit. got to thinking the other day about building a 19* hybrid head I have (KZG) but then remembered I have the 5 wood to match my 3 wood with a little different shaft. And I could hit it pretty good. So I started to practice it some and play with it hitting different shots. I also taught myself to hit a little punch low draw with it. It was windy as heck late yesterday afternoon so that was the perfect time to test it on the course. I delibertly played from the tips to make myself bear down and leave some long shots into par 4 holes. It definetely worked for me but a "utility" wood is nothing new for me. Back in the day I carried a old Northwestern laminate 6 wood at 22* and carried a V Steel 7 wood for years. That Adams 5 wood I carry now is 18* so that makes it like the old utility woods for me since I have aged some and lost SS. Did not do too bad for a 60 year old @ 6624 yards at sea level rating of 72.6/136 in the wind with dry crusty greens. Ended up with a 79 (+7) with one birdie. Not my best putting day. Did have one birdie on the 9th hole par 4 420 yards up the hill into the wind. Had to hit the 5 wood from 190 hit the front of the green and it ran up to 2 feet.I had actually thought about the 3 wood since the wind was howling but I knew that green would never hold the 3 wood. I figured with the 5 wood if I got near the front I had a chance for a up and down par since I am a decent chipper and putter. Worked out good. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I literally just had the same battle! However, my decision came down to putting the 5wood in the bag. I have both a 2i (callaway APEX UT) and 5wood. Here is what I tested on the course and on the range: the distance with both clubs was with a yard or 2 on average with the 5 wood being more distance. The biggest difference though was the carry. I like you have a swing speed with the driver around 115 so you may get similar results. Regardless, the carry on my 2i was 230-240 but the roll because of launch angle would get me anywhere from 25-40 yards. This was nice off the tee but into long par 5s it was hard to get the ball to stop if I was playing into a firm green. I found my self having to work harder at hitting the ball higher to land softer. Now the 5 wood by nature of the club had a higher launch angle and I was to able to more consistently hit the ball with carry to 250 but more importantly the ball would land softer on the green. Also I do play a 3i in the bag with is my 225-230 club so the 5 wood fit better for my gaps in my clubs. So for fair conditions and wet conditions I game the 5 wood and I game the 2i mainly on windy days now for the lower launch angle as I found it gives me more control. So in the end having both the 5wood and 2i on call is a nice thing to have. But as I mentioned I game the 5wood more frequently for the aforementioned reasons. Hope this helps with your decision.

Now my 3 wood is my 230 or so club because I do not have nearly the SS that you and Frazier have. Now I learned to knock down the 5 wood which would be easier for me than you guys. I can also hit a knock down 3 wood. Now my Cally irons are so hot that I can hit a knock down hooded face 4 iron about chest high around 180 or so. People evolve with age and so one has to adapt. Trust me I had to get over the ego problem and adapt. Heck I was in my mid 50s before I learned to accept that I could not swing like I used to and used my brain to adapt my age and dimished SS. But as those that know me live and on here over the years know that I have always thought outside the standard box on equipment. I used to get some funny looks back in the day because I carried long irons including a 1 iron and the only FW I carried was that old 6 wood

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I gave up the 5 wood for a 2 hybrid several years ago. I just find the 2 hybrid more versatile, I can get it high and land it soft for approaches into par 5's or I can move it back slightly in my stance and hit a lower shot that runs out more off the tee.

Because of the head design it's also much easier to hit out of the rough.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I gave up the 5 wood for a 2 hybrid several years ago. I just find the 2 hybrid more versatile, I can get it high and land it soft for approaches into par 5's or I can move it back slightly in my stance and hit a lower shot that runs out more off the tee.

Because of the head design it's also much easier to hit out of the rough.

Well I am going to explore putting that KZG 19* hybrid together. After all the head is just sitting there in a box in the shop and I have several shaft options to choose from. Now I can open the 5 wood up some and play it a little forward in my stance and hit a soft high cut. But I am always experimenting anyhow

G

Got the 2 iron! Hit a bunch at the golf shop but settled on a Honma 18deg. It's a pretty popular brand in Japan. Tried mizuno, Bridgestone, callaway, and Honma and settled with the Japanese manufacturer bc the iron was slimmer in design. The other clubs were quite thick in the sole and felt like undercover hybrids. Getting about 245-260 with this guy, depending on rollout. Looking forward to hitting the course tomorrow! IMG_3229.JPG

That's a sexy club. Honma had never been on my radar before. How much did it run you?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Got the 2 iron! Hit a bunch at the golf shop but settled on a Honma 18deg. It's a pretty popular brand in Japan. Tried mizuno, Bridgestone, callaway, and Honma and settled with the Japanese manufacturer bc the iron was slimmer in design. The other clubs were quite thick in the sole and felt like undercover hybrids. Getting about 245-260 with this guy, depending on rollout. Looking forward to hitting the course tomorrow! attachicon.gifIMG_3229.JPG

Not many people know about Homna but they are some sweet hitting stuff. My buddy Bear has a set of forged CB Homna irons and they hit sweet. They may be the only set of forged CBs that would knock the X-13 Callys out of the bag. I also have a Homma G1X driver and it can be a rocket if I can control it like the 915

G

That's a nice looking club. I agree with you on the UT clubs that look a lot like a hybrid in their chunkiness.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

That's a sexy club. Honma had never been on my radar before. How much did it run you?

About $160 bucks new!

• 2 weeks later...

Been loving this new 2 iron. Hitting it pretty well off the tee causing me many more FIR and ultimately GIR. Shot 81/73 this weekend out in Japan!

Getting about the same distance as the 5 wood but just hitting straighter, lower shots. Roughly between 230-250ish. I got the 2-iron at a golf store in Japan.

Archived