Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My first PGA event in person was eye opening

Street11

Yesterday morning I was given some VIP passes to the Utah Open on the Web.com Tour. I have never seen Pros play in person before and it was amazing. We got there even before anybody was on the range and when they started to arrive and hit I was dumbstruck. Now I'm at an 8 handicap right now and consider myself a competent player but, these guys were playing something different. The ball flights, the control. It was like art to watch them hit. We sat on the first hole next to a fairway bunker and some guy hit it in there about 155 away from the pin. We were about three feet away from him and his caddy and heard them talk about the shot. The players first question to his caddy was, "Where to I want to putt from?" After saying that below the hole and to the right was the best option, he proceeded to hit the ball to that exact spot and make birdie. It was crazy. I know these guys weren't PGA players, even though many have been on tour before, the skill level was astounding. Anybody else have an experience seeing Pros play for the first time in person?IMG_4873.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Been to a couple of PGA events and also a Tuesday practice session at East Lake. I've also got a buddy whose a golf pro/instructor that has some great stories about just how crazy these guys skills are. Example - PGA player on a 'having fun round' pointed out a house with a pool in the backyard distance away that was fenced. Said he was going to hit the shot into the pool but he would land the ball on the cart path, to bounce over the fence into the pool. Sure enough...

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

My first and only experience was seeing the ATT here at Congressional. Tiger won this one. For me I was in awe of 4 things:

1. The pros putts seem to roll soooooo slow but still make it to the hole somehow

2. Tigers stinger is so freaking cool to watch.

3. The Tiger crowd roars are so freaking loud. Too bad we won't be hearing those anymore.

4. The courses they play are legitimately terrifying in real life. TV doesn't do the slopes justice.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

The biggest one I've been to was the LA Open. I'm not sure 96 or 97. I was an invited volunteer helping out at a few booths on the weekend. I remember picking up a few balata practice balls. Got some free stuffs and saw lots of pros. Didn't get to follow any but it was great. Lots of celebrities it was awesome.

... I was at Riviera back in the late 90's and watched Larry Mize on the range working with his 4 iron. He was hitting to a flag about 200 out and would take a full swing and drop the ball next to the flag. Then he would take a swing and stop at the top of his back swing, turn his head and look at the position of the club, then turn his head look back down looking at the ball and after about a 5 second pause would complete his downswing and hit the ball. Flight and accuracy was no different than him taking a full swing. It was then I realized just how good these guys are. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

My first pro tournament experience was a Champions Tour practice round around 2000 and I followed Jack around Coyote Creek Golf course in San Jose. It was pretty cool to hear him talk about where to aim since he was the designer of the course!

My buddy and I followed him for pretty much all 18. I do remember Lee Trevino skulling a shot out of the green side bunker on 18 and saying they needed more sand in it. He then got in his cart and wouldn't give any autographs, he was just sort of prickly that day, maybe embarrassed by his play.

Cool to see those old guys hit it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I used to go to The Masters practice rounds back in the 70's.  Seeing Jack, Arnie, Seve, Raymond, Tom and all of the greats of that era simply play golf as it is intended was mind blowing.   As has been said, it was (and still is) a game with which I am not familar.  

Arnie's Army & Jack crowds were every bit as large as Tiger's crowds years later.  It was impossible to follow any of these 3 around the course when they were in their prime.  You had to watch a shot and then pick a place to go one or two holes ahead of them to watch another shot.  It was truly worth it. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I think the thing the most amateur golfers realize when they go to their first Tour event is just how high the tour players hit all of their clubs.

It makes me laugh when I hear recreational golfers say that they hit it too high; in reality most amateur golfers get nowhere near the optimal trajectory

I was lucky enough to be working for an employer back in the late 80's that was a avid golfer and he paid for he and I to play in the Bryon Nelson Pro-Am and we were paired with Ben Crenshaw and Fred Couples.....so I got to watch Freddie bomb it all day with that almost slow motion looking swing and watch Gentle Ben drain putts from everywhere!

Everything Freddie hit sounded like a gun going off....he was playing those Lynx clubs back in the day and they had a very distinct sound.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Nice thread - I've been to tons of tournaments including three US Opens, a PGA, a Women's Open, a Senior Open, Hogan Tour (web.com), Hooter's tour and mini tour stuff. I local qualified for a Hooters Tour event and didn't come close to making the cut when I was in my late 30's.

The question here is about that first time experience. For me it was Westchester 1982. They reversed the 9's for the tournament so 1 is a long par 3. This is balata ball, persimmon wood , traditional loft era.

No one was on the tee so we went behind the green. A group shows up and this little guy steps up and one hops the pin. I had never heard of Jeff Sluman so I followed him the next few holes. He was just killing it.

Later I followed Joey Sindelar and Ray Floyd, saw Seve, Fred Couples, Hale Irwin, Fuzzy - I was blown away by how good they were and how much they worked the ball (balata). The rough was ungodly long or so I thought until I went to the US Open at Shinnecock a few years later. I swear that every par 4 I saw looked like a par 5 there.

BTW if you really want to be humbled go to an LPGA event. We have some plus handicappers here. Brittany Lincicome is currently a plus 3 at our course. 7200 yards 74.4/144 she always plays the tips. As an 8 she will gladly give you 6 a side from there, smile and take your money. And she's second tier on their tour.

And for those who continue to cling to the importance of putting I'm a better putter than she is. She's a tintsy wintsy bit better ball striker. :)

Okay she's a ridiculously good ball striker and a sweet young lady who is being treated unfairly in the press right now for a casual twitter remark.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Unfortunately I've never been to any PGA events, but if ever given the opportunity, I'd take someone up on it in a heartbeat. I'd love to see how effortlessly these guys make it seem in person, which I'm sure is 1000x better than on tv

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Unfortunately I've never been to any PGA events, but if ever given the opportunity, I'd take someone up on it in a heartbeat. I'd love to see how effortlessly these guys make it seem in person, which I'm sure is 1000x better than on tv

The tickets are generally affordable. I highly recommend checking out the schedule to see if any come close to you.

The smaller tournaments or practice rounds give you a better chance to see them up close if you really want to see the ball flight and hear their conversations. That being said, nothing beats the huge crowd roars.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I have been to PGA, Web.com, Senior PGA, LPGA, and Symetra events.  All I can say is that at every level there are some great ball strikers.  Spending some time on the range will show you have poorly you personally hit the ball.  I am always amazed at their ability to hit the ball specific distances.   I have been volunteering at events for about the last 10 years and walking inside the ropes and listening to the interaction between player and caddie is a great learning experience.   I highly recommend any golfer go see the pros if an event is near them.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Played in the NEPGA Pro/Superintendent tournament for years.  One time was pair with Dana Quigley when he was a club pro.  I spend 18 holes going WOW and holy sh--t.  They don't play the same game we do.

While I served as an office of GCSAA, I attended many majors, 2 Ryder Cups, and play in a couple of Pro Am events.  Was paired with Paul Stankowski one year in the John Deere Pro Am at Deere Run.  He's the only pro to win on the then Hogan Tour one week, get the field promotion to the PGA tour and win on that tour the next week.  He made all in our group very at ease and we won!!. ( 2009.)  Paul's tee ground was typically 75-100 yards behind the amateur players and his drives were usually by us all.  And he got it up and down from everywhere!!   I had 2 birdies on holes he made par and a friend of mine chipped in for eagle.

If you have a chance to attend a PGA event, I strongly recommend that you spend some time at the range.....watch their ball flight, how effortless their swing looks, and how different the sound of the strike is compared to we mortals.

Jim, the retired GC Super.

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

I went to the Wells Fargo two of the past three years.We go on Thursday so we can see everyone play.We followed Phil for 9 holes and watched some of his "MAGIC " on a few holes.Also ,watched Rory and I was amazed how far he and Ricky Fowler drove the ball for fairly normal sized guys.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver :cobra-small: King F6 matrix White Tie shaft

3 Wood : :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 15* Matrix Ozik X-con5

5 wood :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 19* Matrix Ozik X-con5

Hybrid :taylormade-small: Burner 3H , :cobra-small: King F7 4-5 hybrid

Irons  6-PW :cobra-small:  King Cobra SZ

wedges  :cleveland-small: CG16 52*,56*

Putter :odyssey-small:  Sabertooth

Ball :srixon-small: Tour yellow Q Star or :callaway-small: Chrome Soft yellow/black Truvis

I never will forget the first time I stepped on the hallowed grounds of Augusta National and watched those pros work their magic.    A big old country boy wide eyed as a kid in a candy store watching ball striking like he could not ever imagine. You boys & girls who have never watched the pure ball striking of a tour professional,,,, need to enlighten your lives to what golf looks like at it's finest. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I have been to PGA, Web.com, Senior PGA, LPGA, and Symetra events.  All I can say is that at every level there are some great ball strikers.  Spending some time on the range will show you have poorly you personally hit the ball.  I am always amazed at their ability to hit the ball specific distances.   I have been volunteering at events for about the last 10 years and walking inside the ropes and listening to the interaction between player and caddie is a great learning experience.   I highly recommend any golfer go see the pros if an event is near them.

I've been to tournamenf on all those tours as well, including this weekends Seniors Players that I have a thread on.

Today when I was on the rane wirn my buddy and Tom Byrum, I was watching Byrum hit 6 irons to a 180 flag. What impressed me the most was I watched his ball flight and every single time, it went throgh this same little gap in the clouds thst appeared to be about 3 feet in Diameter. Just shot after shot. And the grouping on the green had to be able to be covered with a nice size blanket. And no offense, this is Tom Byrum, not Tom Watson

Oh and Jlukes is spot on about the height. I too shaks my head when I hear the same comment from a lot of my friends thst they are hitting the ball too high. I actually have one guy I know where that is the case. Only one!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've been to many golf tournaments over the years.  Went to the Waste Management Phoenix Open this year and I have played the TPC Scottsdale course several times.  It's fun playing the course and then watching the pros play.  It's a different game for sure.

I also watched them play at the CareerBuilder in La Quinta, CA.  I've seen the women play at the ANA (then the Kraft-Nabisco) in Rancho Mirage, CA and last year at the KPMG Women's PGA Championship at Sahalee in Seattle.  I was also at Sahalee several years ago when Langer beat Freddie at the Senior PGA.  Their games are so unlike anything I play!!

In my city our local private country club used to host a web.com event just before the Albertson's Boise Open. They stopped hosting many years ago now because the club members didn't want to give up their course for a week.  It was the Hogan, Nike, buy.com, Nationwide tour back then.  One of our local pros who won the Washington State Amateur many years ago used to Monday qualify and play in the event.  He never made a cut in all the years I used to go watch him play, and he knew the course!

An interesting story at one of those events... I was following a guy that I didn't know and he was on #17, a long par 3 with an elevated tee and a creek down the left side and behind the green.  He was not going to make the cut.  He said to his caddy: "I wonder what club I should hit."  I said in my outside voice:  "I usually hit my hybrid on this hole."  He said:  "I guess I'll hit my hybrid."  He did and stuck it by the hole!!  Who was that guy??  A couple of years later he was an on-course announcer on The Golf Channel.  Still is... Jerry Foltz.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't know if anyone saw the, "left handed" challenge at the Scottish open but let me say this, most pros are better with their non-dominant hand than we are playing regular!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I went to the RBC Heritage this year at Hilton Head and followed Snedeker, D Love III, and Furyk. It was a great experience. The best golf lesson I learned from watching them play was to only hit the ball as hard as you can control. I hit my driver 75% now and my scores are slowly improving. IMG_2650.JPG

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

4. The courses they play are legitimately terrifying in real life. TV doesn't do the slopes justice.

I think this right here was also the biggest thing for me. I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time around the event at Firestone in Akron, OH and then The Memorial here in Columbus when I moved here. Some of the slopes of the fairways that these guys have to hit shots from is insane.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I've always been most impressed watching them on the range. The player says what he's going to do with the ball (draw/fade/cut/fly) and then does exactly that with such a tight dispersion that I realized they really can do what they want with the ball.

On the course you have your choice to either watch them all go through a hole or follow a group through all holes, or some combination.

Driver: PXG 0811XF 10.5 Regular flex

3W Cleveland HiBore XLS

3-5H: Callaway Steelhead XR

6I-AW Srixon ZX4 MKII

SW and LW Kirkland Signature (V2)

Putter: TaylorMade Rosa Monte Carlo

Ball: OnCore Elixer

I have worked the practice area for all of the professional tours and, indeed, find the skills of the pros to be amazing.   My first experience was with the then Seniors Tour.   Chi-Chi was playing and was rather entertaining.   Someone noticed that he was using a Callaway driver and said--Chi-Chi you actually use the Callaway, to which Chi-Chi responded, yes I have a million reasons to use this club.   On a rather short par 4 tee, Chi-Chi pulled an iron for a lay-up.   Someone from the gallery said hey Chi-Chi you can drive this hole, to which Chi-Chi repled, yep, that's why I'm on this side of the ropes and you are on that side.

I've seen pros play numbers of times and I completely agree the amount of time effort skill and just finesse that goes into their game is unreal. I also do give a lot of credit to their caddy as well just being able to have yardages from anywhere and everywhere. To the green the front back and middle, the green undulations and where they need to place the ball. I can truly say the thing that amazes me the most is how the can control their spin. Just that they can play shots to stop and drop or check a little or do the one then two bounces and suck right back, and know what they are doing in order for that to happen!

I've been to several pro tournaments and it's always fun to watch.  The amount of control they have over every shot is nothing you will ever seen at your local course.  I've followed some of the lower tier PGA pros at the Byron Nelson on a Wednesday practice round and even those guys would embarrass anybody at my course.  Me and my uncle were at the Zurich Classic in New Orleans a couple of years ago and watch Dustin Johnson hit drivers on the range for a while.  It almost looked effortless and to see how far he hit it was incredible.

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I actually got to watch Sam Snead hitting balls at Sleepy Hollow Country club at a Senior Tour event in the mid 1980's. He was in his 70's, wooden Wilson Staff driver. He was hitting it 240 each one with a baby fade. What an amazing swing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My buddy and I attended a couple of Web.com tournaments and we noticed that's it's totally a different game than what we play. The drives just seemed unreal.

We watched them hit towering shots over trees on a par 5 and it seemed like Eagle putts were on the menu.

I did notice that when they hit the ball outside the ropes the standard question was "did you step on the ball?" I did notice a caddy threw a leaf INTO a sand trap. Now my understanding is that that's natural and it can't be removed if a ball should land on it.

Then we went to the BMW Championship last year and that was a TOTALLY different brand of golf than the web.com tournament.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

My buddy and I attended a couple of Web.com tournaments and we noticed that's it's totally a different game than what we play. The drives just seemed unreal.

We watched them hit towering shots over trees on a par 5 and it seemed like Eagle putts were on the menu.

I did notice that when they hit the ball outside the ropes the standard question was "did you step on the ball?" I did notice a caddy threw a leaf INTO a sand trap. Now my understanding is that that's natural and it can't be removed if a ball should land on it.

Then we went to the BMW Championship last year and that was a TOTALLY different brand of golf than the web.com tournament.

Did you watch the event at Sycamore Hills? I played there right after it opened twenty five plus years ago.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Did you watch the event at Sycamore Hills? I played there right after it opened twenty five plus years ago.

Yes sir! It's a nice course. I had a chance to play a few years back. Friends of ours was high bidder at charity auction and I was going in with them for a 4some but then they moved away and he just donated them back.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Archived