TESTERS WANTED! ×

What did you do with SAM puttlab data?

getitdaily

When I did my Puttlab,  it was to verify my stroke, verify my putter, and provide more details to my putting instructor.   

Prior to my Puttlab session,  I had been exchanging emails and videos with my instructor for about 1 1/2 years before I did the session.   He reviewed the report with me and explained what things meant and made some recommendations for improving my stroke and how I could change my putter.  

The key to a Puttlab report is finding someone that knows how to read the details.  We discussed every section of the detailed report so that I could understand what the report was saying.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When I did mine I started looking for putters that fit the recommendations. Then I went out and tried them till I found one I liked the look and feel of. After I found the one I liked the best I ordered it to the specs I got from SAM. Yesterday was my first time out with the new putter and I can say it's not leaving the bag anytime soon

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It analyzes all aspects of you putting stroke. See link below...

Two things I got out of mine, my club head rotated quite a bit but I was fairly consistent in getting it back to the same spot. That said, I did try working on reducing how much I opened and closed the club head on my stroke. I figured in the long run that would make me more consistent. I didn't take any follow-up lessons with the pro who did my assessment so I didn't get everything out of it that I could have.

Got a lot more out of my Edel putter fitting

http://www.scienceandmotion.com/puttlab/

The question was asked about what to do with Puttlab data.  Below is the assessment that my instructor went through with my stroke.  This report is from about 4 years ago and I haven't done a more recent evaluation to see if things are any better.

So here we go on Page 1. I setup slightly open but if you look at the face at address graph I am fairly consistent with my setup.  At impact, I am consistently a little bit closed. People have a tendency to focus on score; however, score isn't Puttlabs strength, it is the ability to take the measurements.

Page 1.jpg

On page 2 we start to see my stroke (from overhead) and it obviously goes to the left and with the closed face at impact, I have a tendency to miss left.  How do you fix that is the next question.   I you compare the putter path numbers with the impact numbers I am a bit more consistent with rotation. We chose to adjust rotation since good putters generally control one or the other better.    How much do we need to change the rotation.  Well since the face angle is the primary influence on direction (about 82%) we need to open from .6 closed to about .28 open.  One way to do this is to add a bit of weight to slow the rotation.   The other thing of not is that my through stroke is bit long.  This is related to how I swing  the putter. 

Page 2.jpg

On Page 3 we see the stroke (from the side) and we see that I hit up on the ball.  We knew this was probably going to happen since I have the ball forward in my stance to help me see the line better.   If you look at height at impact we see that I am really hitting up.  The negative of this is that as the putter starts moving up it loses speed.  Also of benefit would be reducing the loft on the putter to not launch it as high….another reason I leave it short.

Page 3.jpg

Page 4 shows more details on rotation as the putter approaches impact.   Here I am pretty close to perfect on rotation based on stroke needs.  The increased rotation is because of how long my follow through is to compensate for the need to maintain speed on the upstroke.

Page 4.jpg

Page 5 show details of the stroke in graph for and overall stroke timing.   I mentioned earlier that I have the need to accelerate post impact.  On the graph on the upper right you can see the speed increase post impact (the black lines represent impact).  The other thing to look at is the timing of the stroke.  My stroke is on the slow side; increasing the speed would also result in a shorter swing length to hit the ball the same distance I was hitting in this test.  If you notice the backswing rhythm chart is shows that I am not very consistent.   Having a consistent tempo is important to ensure the rotation is the same every time;  otherwise you the face angle may be open one swing and closed the next.

Page 5.jpg

Hope that helps interpret some the information that is included in a Puttlab report and how to evaluate your stroke.  I am not an export on reading the reports,  but I learned a lot about my stroke from my instructor.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That is simply incredible stuff CNosil. I need to go have this done. I "think" I'm a pretty good utter with pretty Solid stroke. I bet I'm wrong. Ha

Thanks so much for sharing this and the write up.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Yeah dude this is like taking your stroke down to the molecular level. It would definitely require a full-blown course to be certified in this

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Cnosil - we have very similar strokes. I game a 2ball fang so in my initial SAM session i had a few things i wanted to solidify; is conventional or left low my best stroke, is the 2ball setup optimally for me, does an odyssey 7 or sigma g tyne produce a better stroke.

Conventional is my better stroke. I close the face by more than a degree more than conventional. My conventional stroke is very close to yours, alignment and face angle at impact are nearly identical. My path is 4.6 left though, nearly all immediately after the ball. I'm 92% or above for all of the consistency numbers. I'd post the reports but am not sure how yet. I have PDFs of my session.

I did add 1 deg of both loft and lie.

The odyssey 7 was a bad putter for me. Path even more left and face angle nearly 3 closed at impact. Not sure why, likely weight and placement of where the shaft enters the head.

The tyne gave me great numbers. Face at impact was .6 closed and path was 2.3 left. We weren't sure why that putter was so good for me. This is what led to my post.

The 2 things different between the 2ball fang and the tyne were grip and head weight. So rather than buy a tyne, I decided to setup my 2ball fang like the tyne. I put a superstroke pistol gtr on it (not a fan of the ping pp60) and added 20g of lead tape. I haven't played with the changes yet but I have practiced with it and I am.extremely happy. I'm all over the hole from 20 feet and am making 8 or 9 of 10 from 10 feet every time. Basically what I researched was that a bit more head weight would help me keep the path less left. That jived with what I saw from the tyne.

My next steps will be to get on the course with it this weekend and eventually get back to SAM to measure the changes.

One of the best things I got from SAM was a commitment to putting conventional. I'd go back and forth between that and left low based on feeling and warm ups. Now I'm one method only. That was worth the $100.

Yeah dude this is like taking your stroke down to the molecular level. It would definitely require a full-blown course to be certified in this

The key is finding someone that can read the report in that level of detail.  My instructor was involved with the evolution of the product and he focuses pretty much exclusively on teaching putting.   I asked a lot of questions about my putting stroke and he provide me with lots of information.  What I provided is probably a 5,000 foot view of the detail we got into regarding my putting stroke.  

Cnosil - we have very similar strokes. I game a 2ball fang so in my initial SAM session i had a few things i wanted to solidify; is conventional or left low my best stroke, is the 2ball setup optimally for me, does an odyssey 7 or sigma g tyne produce a better stroke.

I putt left hand low with a left arm dominant stroke which is part of the reason my stroke is left biased.  I putt with a Taylormade TM-180 putter.  Old model,  but pretty close to what I need for my stroke.  It could use a little less left and I would need to adjust the hosel position a bit to smooth some things out.  

Archived