Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Todays testing results Epic 3 wood against Mizuno JPX900 16 degree hybrid

Divothead

So I have a Callaway EPic sub zero 3 wood with an Oban kyoshi purple shaft (stiff) and if I`m honest I cannot get the best out of it.

Where I play is on a hill top and it`s quite windy most of the time.

I decided to test My 3 wood head to head with My Mizuno JPX 900 2 hybrid @16degree`s. with the Fujikura pro shaft (stiff)

There was a 10 mile an hour head wind and my swing was quite good today so I was getting the best I could out of each club.

The results were that the Mizuno jpx900 hybrid was just as long yet straighter the then Epic sub zero.

This is rather frustrating as I would of thought the Sub Zero would be much longer.

I have thrown in the towel on the Sub zero and it`s going up for Sale and I`m going to look at another 3 wood perhaps the new Ping 400 and have it fit correctly at 

the England UK national fitting centre.

Have any of you guy`s had any simular experiences?? or got any other suggestions??

Cheers

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

I do find that when I am sticking my hybrid really well it does go about the same distance as a decently striked 3 wood.

In my Callaway Hyperlight 5 bag

Driver:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB 

Fairway Wood:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB

Hybrid:   :cobra-small:  King F7 2 & 3 H

Irons:   Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Mid (4-PW)

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  MD3 50/56

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne

Ball: Vice Pro + or :callaway-small: Chromesoft

No surprise here. Most amateurs would be better offended gaming something with more loft. I finally convinced my buddy to swap out his 30th wood for a 5 wood and he carries his 5 wood further because of the better launch he generates

I'm not really surprised, I tend to hit my 2 hybrid almost as far as my 3w and it's always more accurate

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'm not trying to pump my own tires. But my 3 wood being properly fit is the longest option I have other than my driver. I have tried a 1 Hybrid (15-16) and even when accounting for the loft difference (14) and length nothing comes close

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I'll still prefer the 3W for a more penetrating ball flight. And I can't hit a hybrid to save my life... so :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Looks like a proper fitting session will determine whether I can get a flight I am happy with from a 3 wood

You really should consider more lift on your 3 wood. Since turning 40, a lot my time ago, I've had my best results when my 3 wood was actually a 4 wood. My current fairway wood is 16.5 and 1/2 shorter than a standard 3 wood. It works great.

Good luck with the fitting and let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm not trying to pump my own tires. But my 3 wood being properly fit is the longest option I have other than my driver. I have tried a 1 Hybrid (15-16) and even when accounting for the loft difference (14) and length nothing comes close

I don't consider it pumping your own tires or anything like that. I spent a lot of time on the range this weekend at the Senior Players Championship.

The way these guys hit their FW's was amazing. They don't miss a shot. So it seems.

So for guys at your level scratch or better, I can certainly see it being a weapon.

Although Scott McCarron recounted after the round. He hit hybrid 246 into the par 5 16th. That's just crazy if I could do that, I'd hit it all day long. Ha

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So I have a Callaway EPic sub zero 3 wood with an Oban kyoshi purple shaft (stiff) and if I`m honest I cannot get the best out of it.

Where I play is on a hill top and it`s quite windy most of the time.

I decided to test My 3 wood head to head with My Mizuno JPX 900 2 hybrid @16degree`s. with the Fujikura pro shaft (stiff)

There was a 10 mile an hour head wind and my swing was quite good today so I was getting the best I could out of each club.

The results were that the Mizuno jpx900 hybrid was just as long yet straighter the then Epic sub zero.

This is rather frustrating as I would of thought the Sub Zero would be much longer.

I have thrown in the towel on the Sub zero and it`s going up for Sale and I`m going to look at another 3 wood perhaps the new Ping 400 and have it fit correctly at

the England UK national fitting centre.

Have any of you guy`s had any simular experiences?? or got any other suggestions??

Cheers

You cannot go wrong with any of the Tour Edge Exotics 3 woods. I prefer the older XCG5, XCG6 models, but I haven't found anything that is as good. The closest I could say would be the M2 3 wood, but it wasn't really close.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

You cannot go wrong with any of the Tour Edge Exotics 3 woods. I prefer the older XCG5, XCG6 models, but I haven't found anything that is as good. The closest I could say would be the M2 3 wood, but it wasn't really close.

A lot of the time you can find last year's model with a great stock shaft for dirt cheap. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Thing is Tour exotics club are as rare as rocking horse POO here in the UK!!

I am scouring Ebay 

I picked up last year's Tour Edge fairway wood for $125 brand new on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have an Epic SZ three wood 13.5 degrees and I hit it long and straight.  It has a boring trajectory and doesnt balloon on me.  Funny thing for me is that I had the Epic SZ 5 wood and could not hit it at all. Went back to my SLDR 2H and all is right with the game again.  I was properly fit for the 3w and hybrid.  I got the 5w on a whim and should have gotten fit for it but i am happy with the setup i have right now and see no need to change.

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

I have the JPX EZ 16 degree hybrid in my bag because I struggle with consistency with a fairway wood.  Hell I struggle with consistency with all my stuff however I struggle less with the hybrids. Anyways I took my Callaway Razr X 18 degree hybrid out of the bag (for now) as I'm giving the Mizuno plenty of bag time to see if we can bond.  I'm thinking the stiff shaft on the Mizzy is a bit too much for my tired old arse so  I'll be adding a lighter & more flexible shaft. I may try one more fairway wood as I've heard so many good things about the Exotics and they have a 16.5 degree that peaks my interest. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I have the JPX EZ 16 degree hybrid in my bag because I struggle with consistency with a fairway wood.  Hell I struggle with consistency with all my stuff however I struggle less with the hybrids. Anyways I took my Callaway Razr X 18 degree hybrid out of the bag (for now) as I'm giving the Mizuno plenty of bag time to see if we can bond.  I'm thinking the stiff shaft on the Mizzy is a bit too much for my tired old arse so  I'll be adding a lighter & more flexible shaft. I may try one more fairway wood as I've heard so many good things about the Exotics and they have a 16.5 degree that peaks my interest. 

I could not give up on my Sub zero 3 wood so I decided to let the professional who I caddie for take a look at my swing.

Well what a difference he has made spending an hour on the practice ground with me and 9 holes golf.

I have improved the flight of everything due to such a simple thing (basically my swing is sound)

The problem was aim and alignment I was addressing the ball with feet square to target or slightly right and my shoulder open to target.

After a session friday and yesterday after I played in a two man stableoford comp (44pts)

I went again today to play fifteen holes I went through the proceedure on ever shot as I was shown by the Pro and WOW I can only see me 

getting better.

I will be keeping and using both the 2 hybrid and the sub zero 3 wood and using them for different weather conditions and also courses played.

I am over welmed by all the responses to this thread and the shared experiences...Quite a positive forum this!!

I could not give up on my Sub zero 3 wood so I decided to let the professional who I caddie for take a look at my swing.

Well what a difference he has made spending an hour on the practice ground with me and 9 holes golf.

I have improved the flight of everything due to such a simple thing (basically my swing is sound)

The problem was aim and alignment I was addressing the ball with feet square to target or slightly right and my shoulder open to target.

After a session friday and yesterday after I played in a two man stableoford comp (44pts)

I went again today to play fifteen holes I went through the proceedure on ever shot as I was shown by the Pro and WOW I can only see me 

getting better.

I will be keeping and using both the 2 hybrid and the sub zero 3 wood and using them for different weather conditions and also courses played.

I am over welmed by all the responses to this thread and the shared experiences...Quite a positive forum this!!

That's awesome that you have two weapons you can choose from for those long approach shots in your arsenal. And you're absolutely 100% correct when saying this is a positive forum!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I use myus.com as forwarding service to Germany to buy stuff that's only found in the US. 1 driver sent to me cost $30 and it was so cheap that no import duties are added, only VAT.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Archived