TESTERS WANTED! ×

Parents, when did you start your kids?

I'm a father of 2 beautiful girls. They are 1 and 3. As an avid golfer, I want to share the wonders of the great world of golf with them. I'd like to hear from members of this forum who are golf parents and see when you all started your kids in the game.

Eyes on the future, I know women's college golf scholarships are the most under utilized and can pave a path to solid education if my daughter's take interest and show skill.

IMG_4248.PNG

Pictured: My oldest and I working with the little tikes clubs. She seemed more interested in hitting my club with hers.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Both my girls played in middle school and 4 years of varsity in high school (two trips to the Florida state tournament). Unfortunately, they stopped playing competitively afterwards. I wish they had got into golf a little sooner, like 4th or 5th grade.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I've got 3 & 6 year old boys.  The 3 year old is just starting to occasionally hit a few balls in the back yard or the driving range.  The 6yr old has been hitting balls in the back yard for a couple years and I've taken him to range and putting a few times.

This year though the 6yr old was finally old enough for the junior clinic at my club so he is doing that every thursday.  So far he really seems to like it, every time I pick him up he asks if we can go putt more or hit more balls.  

Personally I like having other people help coach/teach my kids with things like sports.  I'm a stay at home dad so being with them 24/7 makes it very easy for them to not listen to me or say no to me.  When someone else is the coach/teacher they tend to listen better because they aren't as comfortable.

No matter what age you start them at though the key is to make it fun and start with short periods of time.  Don't make them pound balls at the range for hours at a time unless they really want to.  Create little contests, have prizes, go for a treat after etc...

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I just started my 6 year old daughter and 5 year old son this year. First I took them to the putting green then I took them to the range all in all we have been like 5 times but they enjoy it.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I've got 3 & 6 year old boys. The 3 year old is just starting to occasionally hit a few balls in the back yard or the driving range. The 6yr old has been hitting balls in the back yard for a couple years and I've taken him to range and putting a few times.

This year though the 6yr old was finally old enough for the junior clinic at my club so he is doing that every thursday. So far he really seems to like it, every time I pick him up he asks if we can go putt more or hit more balls.

Personally I like having other people help coach/teach my kids with things like sports. I'm a stay at home dad so being with them 24/7 makes it very easy for them to not listen to me or say no to me. When someone else is the coach/teacher they tend to listen better because they aren't as comfortable.

No matter what age you start them at though the key is to make it fun and start with short periods of time. Don't make them pound balls at the range for hours at a time unless they really want to. Create little contests, have prizes, go for a treat after etc...

Thanks for the tips. I guess I've got a few years before I'll give it a legit go. Although if they decide they like another sport better, then we'll go with that (even though it'll break my heart). The last thing I want to be is a parent that lives through their kids.

I had my oldest 4 super interested when we lived in Virginia. Mom put the stop to it when my oldest smacked my youngest in the head with a driver on the backswing....

When we move back to a place that golf can be played year round 2 of my boys are interested, so I'm signing them up for camps/lessons.

Never too early to learn to putt.

My 2 year old is already showing a lot of interest. She even likes to watch golf on tv. She has a plastic set of clubs and has a good time hitting them around the yard/house. However, her attention span is to short right now for anything more.

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

My oldest started hitting some balls when he was almost 3. Nothing too crazy-just try to keep it fun.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Both my girls (now 15&17) used to hit balls in our backyard with junior clubs, starting when they were around 6. The older one still plays, and really enjoys it. The younger one dropped it very early, because "there's no running" She's mad on basketball.

Volunteer run clinics were a big help in getting them going, but when they started getting told totally wrong things by well meaning volunteers, I looked into more professional junior clinics. Now my club runs free weekly group lessons with the pro (who is a really experienced and knowledgeable teaching pro) for all junior members. My oldest really enjoys these, and her swing was improving all the time until a recent broken finger.

I can't advise to get them age/size appropriate clubs strongly enough. Cut down adult clubs should be avoided at all cost. Kids clubs can be found cheaply, and are much better for little kids to learn with.

Enjoy the ride. I love going out and playing 18 with my daughter, not many dads get to spend 4 hours with their 17 year old.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 1 month later...

My son got a plastic 3 club set at 1. He's been whacking plastic balls in the house since he was 15 months old. At about 2.5 he got a real driver and putter. He doesn't hit it far but he makes center contact nearly every time. He's 3 now and I'll take him on the course. He loves to ride the golf cart. While I'm on the green he hits his driver around where the cart is parked. He shows proficiency with the club and general interest. We'll see where it goes.

I'm working to get The First Tee established here where I live. We're hoping to start with the National School Program in a few elementary schools and the Drive Program for after school at a YMCA or Boys & Girls Club. Do any of you guys have kids in a First Tee program? Perhaps you might want to consider starting it in your town.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to share what I know so far and what we're doing. It will be worth it.

BTW... you don't have to children at home to do this. I just love the game and want to give more kids the opportunity to gain exposure to it. 

https://thefirsttee.org/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My 3 year old daughter got her first plastic set already and likes smacking the ball in the living room and in our backyard.

Our golf club offers clinics starting at age 3 so we plan to send her next spring.

But I won't force her to like golf... I'll let her try other sports as well and she can choose.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

My 3 and a half year old daughter has been on the course since she's 6 months old now she's caddying for me. Cleaning clubs and balls as well as learning what's each club called.

Clearly she's not ready for the prime time yet as she still likes to do what she wants on the practice green. The next step is to get her to behave when there are others playing. So far she's doing well on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 5 year old girl and 3 year old boy. Both enjoy going "golfing". We let them tee off on every 3rd hole. My daughter can hit the ball every time. My 3 year old asks for help. Also on those holes we let them putt. Both go about a foot away and tap it in and are excited they made it.

I can tell right now my daughter will tolerate the game and play because we do. My boy will play because he likes it.

Saturday mornings are the best when he gets up at 5am and we come downstairs and watch the European tour together.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• 2 months later...

Me and my wife are golfers as well, and have 5 and 6 year olds. They haven't started playing golf yet per se, but we often bring them to the course with us. Looking for childrens clubs and cant find anything other than this guide though (which is kinda outdated), so would love to hear suggestions on clubs for 6-7 year olds.

... I am a huge believer in letting kids choose what sport they want to participate in. You can certainly stack the deck with association and when really little, if they see you doing something there is a good chance they will want to as well. But if they are not genuinely interested in a sport you can turn them against it by trying to get them interested. 

... I come form a different era and played baseball, basketball and football in high school and football in college. LOL, we didn't play golf back then. Most sports want more dedication to off season workouts and/or leagues so it is more difficult to participate in multiple sports today, especially if they are serious. I asked my youngest son to try all other sports before football and coached him in baseball all the way thru high school. After seeing me with staples in my back from 2 surgeries and out of commission for months from playing football he still came to me in the 8th grade and said "I know it will make you mad Dad but I really want to play football". LOL, I told him I was not mad at all but happy he had tried baseball, basketball, soccer and golf so he did everything I asked and if he wanted to play football I was behind him 100%. Of course he went on to be a first team All Conference DE in college and was offered a NFL contract but the threat of CTE made him decide he had risked enough. 

... So introduce your kids to sports but let them decide which one they will hopefully love. If they show a genuine interest give them all the access they can handle but be ever vigilant of burn out. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Our kids are grow but I can tell you that those early life (positive) experiences stay with them. My son and daughter went to sail camp between 8 and 14 years old. And even though they are in their 30's they have a strong affinity to water and sailing even though neither one wanted anything to do with it in their late teens.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I got my 18 mo old a putter and a us kids golf 7 iron. Let him run around the putting green and swing a few on the range. Let him think he's driving the cart etc. obviously can't really do anything but just want to get him out there so maybe he will want to play when he's a bit older

Sent from my iPhone using [url="http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=8%5Battachment=55070:IMG_1230.JPG]

IMG_1230.JPG

I got my 18 mo old a putter and a us kids golf 7 iron. Let him run around the putting green and swing a few on the range. Let him think he's driving the cart etc. obviously can't really do anything but just want to get him out there so maybe he will want to play when he's a bit older

As has been mentioned a couple of times, kids are different, and it seems to be worth exposing them to lots of things to see where their interests and strengths lie. My oldest boy is four now, and started swinging the clubs early: the plastic clubs at one, real (cut down junior) clubs at two.

By three, he was already beating balls in our garage, into my practice net:

At three, I was taking him to the course. On most holes, he'd tee off from the 100-yard markers.

This year, I again started him at the 100s, with the deal that as soon as he could shoot a 45, we'd move back to the 150s. He did that early in the summer, and by the end of the summer, had shot a 47 from the 150s.

As you can tell, I'm pretty proud of my little guy. I have another son who just turned 3 last month. He messes around with putting and such, but hasn't taken to it nearly the way Kirke has. And that's totally OK too.

These are games. There is such a tiny chance that playing a game will be the basis for any monetary payout, whether scholarships or a profession, I'd rather just spend the time having a blast with my kids.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

My son started baseball at 7, he got hit by a pitch on the ribs once. He finished the season but didn't want to play anymore after that. The following year, he played basketball. I played basketball most of my life and I could teach him many things,he just runs away from the ball and really wasn't aggressive enough. So at 8, he tried golf, we just messed around and I was able to teach him basic fundamentals. So at 10, he's tried 2 sports and knows that he's rather play computer games first, then golf second. I don't force him to play or practice, but hopefully he comes around to really liking it.

I started my daughter at 3 weeks (ok, ok, ok.. It was one of those first born commerative irons for pictures 😁). Exposed her to golfing very young with plastic clubs and nerf type golf balls from when she was able to crawl. Had her facing me in her carrier when I would swing the club in the house. Be careful when they become somewhat mobile... They don't know NOT to step into your club path on the back and front swing! She didn't show any interest in it so we exposed her to other sports - soccer, basketball, ice skating as she got older. She took to ice skating but did decide to join a summer golf league this past year. I could tell her heart wasn't into it like ice skating so I didn't press golfing with her. My son, same path, but loves to golf. His interest has waned a bit as now he's playing ice hockey and will be playing basketball in January. Still, I think it's important to expose the kids to your love of the game, but let them choose their own path to the sport or different sport.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I've recently introduced 2500 kids to golf. We started a First Tee program here. :)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've recently introduced 2500 kids to golf. We started a First Tee program here. :)

That's incredible! Good for you Plaid

I started mine at 4 - iron and putter let him play the hole from the 100, then back to the 150, then 200, added a fairway driver to their bags - they were on the ladies tees at around 9, the men's at 12.

They did a summer golf program every year where they got professional instruction. Neither of my boys are avid golfers but both love to play when they have time - especially with me. The one played more when he was in the military and had an on base course. He works and goes to school on the GI bill so he doesn't have time.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Congrats - good for you.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

That's incredible! Good for you Plaid

I started mine at 4 - iron and putter let him play the hole from the 100, then back to the 150, then 200, added a fairway driver to their bags - they were on the ladies tees at around 9, the men's at 12.

They did a summer golf program every year where they got professional instruction. Neither of my boys are avid golfers but both love to play when they have time - especially with me. The one played more when he was in the military and had an on base course. He works and goes to school on the GI bill so he doesn't have time.

Rev, those memories will stay with them for a lifetime!

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 1 month later...

Quick video of Kirke's swing, from Saturday morning:

One of the things about Kirke that I've marveled at is that I can ask him to try certain things physically with his swing, and he can understand and do them. Here, I was trying to get him to stop uncocking his wrists to start his downswing, which is his normal swing (you can see this in the video above in this thread, the one titled "Big swing..."). I used an image from coach Dan Whitaker: think of hammering a nail into a wall in front of you using the butt cap of your club. The swing in this post was Kirke's response to that image.

It's fun seeing what works and what doesn't in giving him instructions.

Full WITB with pictures

I've had all my putters in the basement to tool around with while the girls go nuts playing. Every now and then, they'll pick one up and try to hit balls with it. It's terrifying watching them swing it around (which earns a scolding) but it's really rewarding to see them get excited when they hit a good putt right at me. I'm gonna have to encourage these embers to burn.

Worth noting: the ball whizzing past Kirke's head on the rebound is foam. :)

Full WITB with pictures