Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Parents, when did you start your kids?

My “kids” are mid 40's so different era and opportunity. My girls tried golf one of them was pretty good but softball was their thing. Now Gkids. The 3 girls no interest in golf except when they went to practice putt with me. Again softball took over for the girls and grandson is ALL baseball & soccer. It's their choice and I stand behind it. BTW one of the girls will be looking at college level softball. She's had some looks by a couple colleges.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

My girls have had clubs and have gone to the range for years. Unfortunately, they stopped over a year ago. They were around 5 when they started

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

My girls have had clubs and have gone to the range for years. Unfortunately, they stopped over a year ago. They were around 5 when they started

It's difficult to keep girls interested in golf. Too much time and solitary. My girls like the more social activity.

Rick

Left Hand, 

It's difficult to keep girls interested in golf. Too much time and solitary. My girls like the more social activity.

Find or start an LPGA/USGA girls golf program in your area. https://www.girlsgolf.org. My youngest is in one, and she really likes getting to play with other girls.

My girls (17 and 10 now) started through The First Tee. The club I belonged to didn't have a junior program, so I looked to TFT as a low-cost way to get them involved. 11 years later, they're still involved, and I've been a volunteer coach there for the last 8 or so years.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I started my boy when he was 4. There were no junior clubs at that time so I cut down a putter that he did everything with. He would come with me to the driving range and whack balls with it but he really just wanted to go to the practice green and roll balls into the hole. He's in his 30's now and plays a few times a year, he just never got bit by the bug like I did. Everyone has to find their own thing.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

im hoping they pick it back up, when they get older. Thinking about their college opportunities, lots of scholarships out there

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

im hoping they pick it back up, when they get older. Thinking about their college opportunities, lots of scholarships out there

My oldest Gdaughter is looking at academic & softball scholarships. 4.45 gpa & starting right field & backup 1st base. She quit pitching as she doesn't have size/pitch speed.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I have an almost 1 year old baby girl, I'm hoping she loves golf as much as I do!

Hope it comes true for you

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 4 weeks later...

I first got my daughter a set of plastic golf clubs when she was 2 or 3 and have slowly worked with her since then - primarily putting inside. When she turned 5, I bought her a set of US Kids Golf clubs and we went out for 9-holes exactly one time last year - my wife and I also took her to an LPGA event.

It's been a slow and steady process of testing her interest and evaluating her skills and ability. Every kid will be different and there is no set age of when you should or shouldn't introduce your kids to the game.

My recommendation is to let them come to it naturally and start with the simple things. For example, I practice my putting inside quite a bit and that's how we started, but only after my daughter showed interest. Kids naturally want to imitate the things they see their parents doing and parents would be wise not to force their kids into any sport. My dream isn't to see my daughter on the LPGA one day, my dream is to be able to share something we both have a passion for and enjoy quality time doing that.

We only have so many years where our kids genuinely view us as their heroes - make the most of it.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I got both of my daughters clubs when they were five.  I have tried to introduce them to a bit of everything and let them decide what they want to spend time doing.  It doesn't matter to me what they choose as long as they are participating in something.  My youngest who is now 11 likes rhythmic gymnastics and dance while my 12 year old likes synchronized swimming.  Two years ago I started to take both to a 12 hole course near my cabin when we were there and there interest in golf slowly started.  Last year we played more often and this year my oldest wants to take some lessons and spend more time playing this summer.

I have always tried to keep it fun.  They have always had the option to hit from their shot or place best ball at any time.  Also, up to them to keep score.  The only rule when they play with me is they must walk.  Most kids now spend so much time in front of a computer I try to get them out doing some kind of physical activity any chance I get.

I have made an effort to have them try physical activities they can do for the rest of their lives.  So far the ones that seem to be sticking are golf, biking and cross country skiing.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

• 1 month later...

In my limited experience, I would say start them as soon as they (in order of importance):

1. Want to
  2. Can physically hold/swing whatever club you got for them

For my daughter that was around age 4. She loves hitting her driver, so that's what we do. She can hit it about 30 yards and every time she squares one up it's a thrill.  :)

Just don't expect too much... as long as they are having fun that's all that matters.

WITB:

Driver: Cobra F6 (10.5*) + Project X HZRDUS Black -1"

Utility: Cobra KING Utility Black One Length (21*)

5I-GW: Cobra KING F7 One Length

SW: Mizuno MP T5 (56*)

LW: Mizuno MP T5 (60*)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie (Black)

• 2 months later...

Only bumping this thread because I'm looking for an excuse to post swing videos of my son  :D

We've been out a few times this year. Following the guidelines from US Kids Golf (http://www.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/local/course-setup), I've set up an ~1,100 yard course for Kirke. He's shooting bogey golf pretty consistently now at age 5. Right now, he's been beating me more than I'm beating him  :unsure:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

When my son turned 15. I remember buying my son a set and signing him up for lessons.He showed promise for a few weeks after. But lost the bug shortly after. Just wasn't exciting enough for him or spontaneous. Mountain biking and cross fit exercising have been his mojo for almost a decade now

For some reason junior golf just doesn't seem to resonate with today's youth

Keep it in the short stuff

Really tried to get my thirteen year old interested.We attended a father daughter clinic many years back.She was a real trooper to the very end.Never picked up a club since and absolutely hates golf.Its just a tough sell in todays society.Our generation grew up in golf.Current generations can careless about golf.The game is in trouble

I started bringing my son to the course with me when he was around 8 or so. He said he wanted to learn so we signed him up for lessons through our town's summer activities program. He did that for a few summers, and I bought him a Top Flite set to use. 

Last year at age 11 he told us that he wanted to stop playing baseball and play more golf, so we signed him up for PGA Jr League. He's starting his second season of that now. We mostly play par 3 courses along with my father when we go out together.

I've never really given him any instruction or critique, I leave that for people who actually know what they're doing. We just go out and have fun, even when we go to the range we make things a game so he stays interested and motivated.

As far as the comment above about junior golf not resonating, the course my son plays at has to field 3 teams this summer so they can fit in all the kids who signed up. First time they've ever done that. The course a few minutes from my office has to keep adding more junior instruction programs because they keep filling up. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I introduced my neice to this game last summer.It was wonderful spending time with her on the course.Tried to get her to join summer camp golf league.She declined the invitation to do cheer leading instead

Keep it in the short stuff

• 1 month later...

Got to walk nine with Kirke again this morning. Decided to take a video of him playing his favorite hole: a 175-yard, downhill par 4 (for him).

A great tee shot, followed by a slightly chunky hybrid and a thin 8 iron over the back of the green. From there, he hits a really deft little pitch to 6-8 feet, and rolls in the bogey putt.

Full WITB with pictures

I personally hit around the yard with my 3 yr old, I've taken him 3 times on the course with his plastic clubs and ball, he hits after daddy does usually 3 shots totaling 6 yard but then we get back in the cart and go to mine, but every time I hit I let him "hit" but the heat gets to him and boredom but we manage he loves it

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I was actually in the driving range parking lot today after coming from bass pro and it was like pulling teeth to get my son to get out of the car and hit some balls (he's 7). I flat out asked him if he was interested in golfing and he truthfully said sometimes, but he said he is more interested in flag football and baseball. I didn't force him to hit balls and literally started to head home. Pretty sure it was more because I picked up an ammo pack of BB's for his BB Gun so we could do some target practice in the back yard after the range,😁...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 1 month later...

I am a firm believer in letting them find interest in the sport themselves. My son has autism and just turned 11 yesterday. I always wanted him to play but I also knew that my chances of him playing were slim. I started out by bringing him with me a couple of times. Had him drive the cart, get snacks etc.... And then one day he asked if I could take him golfing. He was 7. I had been bringing him since he was 6.

My sister in law is a great pianist. Her parents forced her to play when she was very young with her sister and her parents had these big dreams of them making it big. What really happened is that they hated it. I didn't want that with my kids. My daughter it was the same but she told me that she just liked riding the cart so I told her that was fine and never asked her if she wanted to hit a ball again.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook's "on this day" feature pulled this up for me this morning. It's a picture of Kirke from four years ago. That means he was just under two years old when this was taken.

10469724_10153395734066393_6421502749952706227_n.jpg

Full WITB with pictures

My son is 2.5 and really enjoys it, I think because I enjoy it so much but it doesn't matter. It something I hope we can always share together. I'm never gonna push him into it. I hope he finds his own hobbies and interests as well and I will support him either way. 0903181106a.jpeg

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

It really depends on the child, but I say anytime they show interest.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My 4 year old son loves coming with me to the range so much I got him his own clubs... he practices with me at the house and drives my wife insane bugging about going golfing. I hope to keep him interested enough to play through school and beyond but you never know

Here is his first hole in one the other night at the mini putt

IMG_8311.jpeg

My 4 year old son loves coming with me to the range so much I got him his own clubs... he practices with me at the house and drives my wife insane bugging about going golfing. I hope to keep him interested enough to play through school and beyond but you never know

Here is his first hole in one the other night at the mini putt

attachicon.gif IMG_8311.jpeg

Kids are cool

Rick

Left Hand, 

Daughter is a month old has zero interest. I don't understand what's wrong

I hate to be the one to say this, but if there's no interest yet at that age, it really is your fault.

Full WITB with pictures