GolfSpy STUDque

Parents, when did you start your kids?

As has been mentioned a couple of times, kids are different, and it seems to be worth exposing them to lots of things to see where their interests and strengths lie. My oldest boy is four now, and started swinging the clubs early: the plastic clubs at one, real (cut down junior) clubs at two.

By three, he was already beating balls in our garage, into my practice net:

At three, I was taking him to the course. On most holes, he'd tee off from the 100-yard markers.

This year, I again started him at the 100s, with the deal that as soon as he could shoot a 45, we'd move back to the 150s. He did that early in the summer, and by the end of the summer, had shot a 47 from the 150s.

As you can tell, I'm pretty proud of my little guy. I have another son who just turned 3 last month. He messes around with putting and such, but hasn't taken to it nearly the way Kirke has. And that's totally OK too.

These are games. There is such a tiny chance that playing a game will be the basis for any monetary payout, whether scholarships or a profession, I'd rather just spend the time having a blast with my kids.

• Like 3

My son started baseball at 7, he got hit by a pitch on the ribs once. He finished the season but didn't want to play anymore after that. The following year, he played basketball. I played basketball most of my life and I could teach him many things,he just runs away from the ball and really wasn't aggressive enough. So at 8, he tried golf, we just messed around and I was able to teach him basic fundamentals. So at 10, he's tried 2 sports and knows that he's rather play computer games first, then golf second. I don't force him to play or practice, but hopefully he comes around to really liking it.

I started my daughter at 3 weeks (ok, ok, ok.. It was one of those first born commerative irons for pictures 😁). Exposed her to golfing very young with plastic clubs and nerf type golf balls from when she was able to crawl. Had her facing me in her carrier when I would swing the club in the house. Be careful when they become somewhat mobile... They don't know NOT to step into your club path on the back and front swing! She didn't show any interest in it so we exposed her to other sports - soccer, basketball, ice skating as she got older. She took to ice skating but did decide to join a summer golf league this past year. I could tell her heart wasn't into it like ice skating so I didn't press golfing with her. My son, same path, but loves to golf. His interest has waned a bit as now he's playing ice hockey and will be playing basketball in January. Still, I think it's important to expose the kids to your love of the game, but let them choose their own path to the sport or different sport.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

I've recently introduced 2500 kids to golf. We started a First Tee program here. :)

That's incredible! Good for you Plaid

I started mine at 4 - iron and putter let him play the hole from the 100, then back to the 150, then 200, added a fairway driver to their bags - they were on the ladies tees at around 9, the men's at 12.

They did a summer golf program every year where they got professional instruction. Neither of my boys are avid golfers but both love to play when they have time - especially with me. The one played more when he was in the military and had an on base course. He works and goes to school on the GI bill so he doesn't have time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I've recently introduced 2500 kids to golf. We started a First Tee program here. :)

Congrats - good for you.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That's incredible! Good for you Plaid

I started mine at 4 - iron and putter let him play the hole from the 100, then back to the 150, then 200, added a fairway driver to their bags - they were on the ladies tees at around 9, the men's at 12.

They did a summer golf program every year where they got professional instruction. Neither of my boys are avid golfers but both love to play when they have time - especially with me. The one played more when he was in the military and had an on base course. He works and goes to school on the GI bill so he doesn't have time.

Rev, those memories will stay with them for a lifetime!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Quick video of Kirke's swing, from Saturday morning:

One of the things about Kirke that I've marveled at is that I can ask him to try certain things physically with his swing, and he can understand and do them. Here, I was trying to get him to stop uncocking his wrists to start his downswing, which is his normal swing (you can see this in the video above in this thread, the one titled "Big swing..."). I used an image from coach Dan Whitaker: think of hammering a nail into a wall in front of you using the butt cap of your club. The swing in this post was Kirke's response to that image.

It's fun seeing what works and what doesn't in giving him instructions.

• Like 3

I've had all my putters in the basement to tool around with while the girls go nuts playing. Every now and then, they'll pick one up and try to hit balls with it. It's terrifying watching them swing it around (which earns a scolding) but it's really rewarding to see them get excited when they hit a good putt right at me. I'm gonna have to encourage these embers to burn.

• Like 2

Worth noting: the ball whizzing past Kirke's head on the rebound is foam. :)

My “kids” are mid 40's so different era and opportunity. My girls tried golf one of them was pretty good but softball was their thing. Now Gkids. The 3 girls no interest in golf except when they went to practice putt with me. Again softball took over for the girls and grandson is ALL baseball & soccer. It's their choice and I stand behind it. BTW one of the girls will be looking at college level softball. She's had some looks by a couple colleges.

• Like 2

My girls have had clubs and have gone to the range for years. Unfortunately, they stopped over a year ago. They were around 5 when they started

• Like 1

My girls have had clubs and have gone to the range for years. Unfortunately, they stopped over a year ago. They were around 5 when they started

It's difficult to keep girls interested in golf. Too much time and solitary. My girls like the more social activity.

• Like 3

It's difficult to keep girls interested in golf. Too much time and solitary. My girls like the more social activity.

Find or start an LPGA/USGA girls golf program in your area. https://www.girlsgolf.org. My youngest is in one, and she really likes getting to play with other girls.

My girls (17 and 10 now) started through The First Tee. The club I belonged to didn't have a junior program, so I looked to TFT as a low-cost way to get them involved. 11 years later, they're still involved, and I've been a volunteer coach there for the last 8 or so years.

• Like 1

I started my boy when he was 4. There were no junior clubs at that time so I cut down a putter that he did everything with. He would come with me to the driving range and whack balls with it but he really just wanted to go to the practice green and roll balls into the hole. He's in his 30's now and plays a few times a year, he just never got bit by the bug like I did. Everyone has to find their own thing.

im hoping they pick it back up, when they get older. Thinking about their college opportunities, lots of scholarships out there

im hoping they pick it back up, when they get older. Thinking about their college opportunities, lots of scholarships out there

My oldest Gdaughter is looking at academic & softball scholarships. 4.45 gpa & starting right field & backup 1st base. She quit pitching as she doesn't have size/pitch speed.

• Like 1

I have an almost 1 year old baby girl, I'm hoping she loves golf as much as I do!

• Like 1

I have an almost 1 year old baby girl, I'm hoping she loves golf as much as I do!

Hope it comes true for you

• Like 2

I first got my daughter a set of plastic golf clubs when she was 2 or 3 and have slowly worked with her since then - primarily putting inside. When she turned 5, I bought her a set of US Kids Golf clubs and we went out for 9-holes exactly one time last year - my wife and I also took her to an LPGA event.

It's been a slow and steady process of testing her interest and evaluating her skills and ability. Every kid will be different and there is no set age of when you should or shouldn't introduce your kids to the game.

My recommendation is to let them come to it naturally and start with the simple things. For example, I practice my putting inside quite a bit and that's how we started, but only after my daughter showed interest. Kids naturally want to imitate the things they see their parents doing and parents would be wise not to force their kids into any sport. My dream isn't to see my daughter on the LPGA one day, my dream is to be able to share something we both have a passion for and enjoy quality time doing that.

We only have so many years where our kids genuinely view us as their heroes - make the most of it.

• Like 2