GolfSpy STUDque

Parents, when did you start your kids?

I got both of my daughters clubs when they were five.  I have tried to introduce them to a bit of everything and let them decide what they want to spend time doing.  It doesn't matter to me what they choose as long as they are participating in something.  My youngest who is now 11 likes rhythmic gymnastics and dance while my 12 year old likes synchronized swimming.  Two years ago I started to take both to a 12 hole course near my cabin when we were there and there interest in golf slowly started.  Last year we played more often and this year my oldest wants to take some lessons and spend more time playing this summer.

I have always tried to keep it fun.  They have always had the option to hit from their shot or place best ball at any time.  Also, up to them to keep score.  The only rule when they play with me is they must walk.  Most kids now spend so much time in front of a computer I try to get them out doing some kind of physical activity any chance I get.

I have made an effort to have them try physical activities they can do for the rest of their lives.  So far the ones that seem to be sticking are golf, biking and cross country skiing.

In my limited experience, I would say start them as soon as they (in order of importance):

1. Want to
  2. Can physically hold/swing whatever club you got for them

For my daughter that was around age 4. She loves hitting her driver, so that's what we do. She can hit it about 30 yards and every time she squares one up it's a thrill.  :)

Just don't expect too much... as long as they are having fun that's all that matters.

• Like 2

Only bumping this thread because I'm looking for an excuse to post swing videos of my son  :D

We've been out a few times this year. Following the guidelines from US Kids Golf (http://www.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/local/course-setup), I've set up an ~1,100 yard course for Kirke. He's shooting bogey golf pretty consistently now at age 5. Right now, he's been beating me more than I'm beating him  :unsure:

• Like 6

When my son turned 15. I remember buying my son a set and signing him up for lessons.He showed promise for a few weeks after. But lost the bug shortly after. Just wasn't exciting enough for him or spontaneous. Mountain biking and cross fit exercising have been his mojo for almost a decade now

For some reason junior golf just doesn't seem to resonate with today's youth

• Like 1

Really tried to get my thirteen year old interested.We attended a father daughter clinic many years back.She was a real trooper to the very end.Never picked up a club since and absolutely hates golf.Its just a tough sell in todays society.Our generation grew up in golf.Current generations can careless about golf.The game is in trouble

• Like 1

I started bringing my son to the course with me when he was around 8 or so. He said he wanted to learn so we signed him up for lessons through our town's summer activities program. He did that for a few summers, and I bought him a Top Flite set to use. 

Last year at age 11 he told us that he wanted to stop playing baseball and play more golf, so we signed him up for PGA Jr League. He's starting his second season of that now. We mostly play par 3 courses along with my father when we go out together.

I've never really given him any instruction or critique, I leave that for people who actually know what they're doing. We just go out and have fun, even when we go to the range we make things a game so he stays interested and motivated.

As far as the comment above about junior golf not resonating, the course my son plays at has to field 3 teams this summer so they can fit in all the kids who signed up. First time they've ever done that. The course a few minutes from my office has to keep adding more junior instruction programs because they keep filling up. 

• Like 3

I introduced my neice to this game last summer.It was wonderful spending time with her on the course.Tried to get her to join summer camp golf league.She declined the invitation to do cheer leading instead

My son was 4 and he started because he asked us to. He would go to the golf course a lot with y parents-in-law and that got him in to the game.

Got to walk nine with Kirke again this morning. Decided to take a video of him playing his favorite hole: a 175-yard, downhill par 4 (for him).

A great tee shot, followed by a slightly chunky hybrid and a thin 8 iron over the back of the green. From there, he hits a really deft little pitch to 6-8 feet, and rolls in the bogey putt.

• Like 6

I personally hit around the yard with my 3 yr old, I've taken him 3 times on the course with his plastic clubs and ball, he hits after daddy does usually 3 shots totaling 6 yard but then we get back in the cart and go to mine, but every time I hit I let him "hit" but the heat gets to him and boredom but we manage he loves it

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I was actually in the driving range parking lot today after coming from bass pro and it was like pulling teeth to get my son to get out of the car and hit some balls (he's 7). I flat out asked him if he was interested in golfing and he truthfully said sometimes, but he said he is more interested in flag football and baseball. I didn't force him to hit balls and literally started to head home. Pretty sure it was more because I picked up an ammo pack of BB's for his BB Gun so we could do some target practice in the back yard after the range,😁...

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

I am a firm believer in letting them find interest in the sport themselves. My son has autism and just turned 11 yesterday. I always wanted him to play but I also knew that my chances of him playing were slim. I started out by bringing him with me a couple of times. Had him drive the cart, get snacks etc.... And then one day he asked if I could take him golfing. He was 7. I had been bringing him since he was 6.

My sister in law is a great pianist. Her parents forced her to play when she was very young with her sister and her parents had these big dreams of them making it big. What really happened is that they hated it. I didn't want that with my kids. My daughter it was the same but she told me that she just liked riding the cart so I told her that was fine and never asked her if she wanted to hit a ball again.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Facebook's "on this day" feature pulled this up for me this morning. It's a picture of Kirke from four years ago. That means he was just under two years old when this was taken.

10469724_10153395734066393_6421502749952706227_n.jpg

• Like 3

My son is 2.5 and really enjoys it, I think because I enjoy it so much but it doesn't matter. It something I hope we can always share together. I'm never gonna push him into it. I hope he finds his own hobbies and interests as well and I will support him either way. 0903181106a.jpeg

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

My 4 year old son loves coming with me to the range so much I got him his own clubs... he practices with me at the house and drives my wife insane bugging about going golfing. I hope to keep him interested enough to play through school and beyond but you never know

Here is his first hole in one the other night at the mini putt

IMG_8311.jpeg

• Like 1

My 4 year old son loves coming with me to the range so much I got him his own clubs... he practices with me at the house and drives my wife insane bugging about going golfing. I hope to keep him interested enough to play through school and beyond but you never know

Here is his first hole in one the other night at the mini putt

attachicon.gif IMG_8311.jpeg

Kids are cool

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Daughter is a month old has zero interest. I don't understand what's wrong

I hate to be the one to say this, but if there's no interest yet at that age, it really is your fault.

• Like 3