TESTERS WANTED! ×

Parents, when did you start your kids?

I put a kids putter in my son's hands when he was 2 and we would putt the ball back and forth on the living room rug. He is 5 now and has his own set of clubs. We go to the range at least once a month together and hit foam balls in the yard when ever he asks. I just ask if he wants to go hit balls. If he says yes we go. If he says no we do something else. I don't force it on him because I want him to love the game as much as I do someday and hopefully grow the MSG family by 1.

Sent from my LGUS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have two 12 year old sons ( blended family) who I just got into golf this year. I have two daughters 12 and 9 that both also have tried to golf but just don't seem to keen on it , more along for the cart snacks.

I tried once last year and it did not go well so I think this age 12-13 is a good age to start , bit more mature.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I've recently introduced 2500 kids to golf. We started a First Tee program here. :)

I know this isn't a First Tee topic per se' but these are my kids too if you will. Since we initially started our First Tee program here with the school districts back in 2017 we've expanded. We started with 4 schools and we're now up to 17 elementary schools. At this time we're reaching about 9,500 kids. Introducing them to golf - many for the first time during their regular P.E. classes. We'll be adding at least 14 more schools after first of the year and more next fall. Eventually we'll have all (57 schools) area elementary schools participating.  :)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Kirke caught this one a bit low on the face, but it's fun, even within a season, to watch him get stronger swinging the club:

With a freeze frame of his position at impact:

Screenshot_20180913-210416.jpg

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 4 weeks later...

It really helps for young kids to see parents hitting a golf club and having a small plastic one lying around for them to try out. Our boys started hitting around at less than 2 and are now playing competitive junior golf (along with other sports and activities) - the pics below are a progression from 2, 9 and 12 years old.

As far as kids not liking it and not playing much, we have seen a huge increase in interest and local tournaments are "sold out" within 1 minute of them opening - if you're not at your computer to enter at 8am you generally do not get a spot. From about age 2 kids can move into of the USKids clubs - either the yard club or an UltraLight clubs - they are reasonably priced and excellent quality. 

connor macmillan thejuniorgolfer.jpg

Connor macmillan.jpeg

Connor-Macmillan-Junior-Golf-Driver.jpg

• 1 month later...

The littlest of mine gets excited when I take her downstairs to putt. Maybe I'll have even another golf partner!

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 1 year later...

I took my 6 year old to the range once or twice last year.  This year my now 7 year old and 4 year old have been to the range 5 or 6 times this year.  On Monday we went out as a family on the course for the first time.  I just bought my 7 year old a Tour Edge junior set and it was her first time hitting them.  She drove the green from 100 and from 70 yards!  We won't talk about what happened when she got on the green 🤪 I took out the 7 year old on Friday with my dad and my nephew.  She didn't hit it as well as on Monday, but that's golf!  I think she's hooked! 

IMG_8267.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg

IMG_8275.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

Evelyn_Short.gif

Cora_short.gif

Evelyn_long.gif

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X