Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS Lottery - 58* Scratch Wedge Review

JBones

Scratch 1018 Forged 58* SFU Grind, KBS Pro Shaft

Photo0225.jpg

Looks

This thing is beautiful. Its the best finish I have personally seen on a wedge. I love how there is minimal writing/graphics on the head (Scratch emblem, loft, and stamping which is optional). I'm pretty sure I shed tears of joy when I pulled it out of the box.

Feel

I played the Callaway Tour i(x) and the Vision Gel with this wedge and they both felt like butter. It is the softest wedge that I have ever hit.

Performance

Wow, where do I begin. I went into this not knowing what to expect from the "ABC" grooves and I was blown away. I have always had a ton of spin with every wedge I've owned and all of those wedges have shredded "tour quality" balls so much that I have to throw them out after a max of 9 holes. I expected to get a little less spin with the rounded edges, but this was not the case. I got the same spin, if not more, than my current Callaway Jaws 58*. The first full shot I hit the ball took one large bounce, before coming back 12'-15'. When I marked the ball and searched it for any damage, all I could find was a very small scuff. I played every other hole with a Cally and Vision Gel and neither balls had more than a few scuffs on them at the end of the round. This wedge performed phenomenally from full shots, half shots, in the sand, and around the green.

Overall

I am a "Scratcher" for life now. I will never own a wedge from another manufacturer. It's rare that you get something with this performance AND beauty. Thanks to Ari and MGS for giving me this opportunity. Ari, you have gained a loyal customer.

Oh, I did have one negative to throw in there, but it's pretty laughable. The grip solvent that was used, smells like dirty bong water, it almost made me gag when I pulled it out of the box. The smell went away after a couple days though.

The solvent did stink! When I pulled the grip off there was just the smallest bit of tape on the butt of the shaft. I don't think they plan on those stock grips staying on long!

I'm really liking my wedge too!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I wanted a 50* for my test club but it wasn't available. Are you going with another 1018 or full bore on a Tour Custom?!

You'll need to go Tour Custom to get a GW. Although getting a high bounce 53* and having it bent to 50* may be another option, as the Tour Custom's a bit more.

Great review. How did you find that it played around the greens?

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

I hope I get my wedge soon.... I can't wait to see how these play!!! Glad you guys like yours! I'll be sure to post when this baby arrives!

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

You'll need to go Tour Custom to get a GW. Although getting a high bounce 53* and having it bent to 50* may be another option, as the Tour Custom's a bit more.

Great review. How did you find that it played around the greens?

I think just bending it to a 52* will get me what I need. I currently use my 54* as my "GW", but it doesn't fill enough gap. I hit my 58* 105, my PW 145, and my 54* 120, so that 25yd gap hurts sometimes; no matter how hard I swing, I can't hit a 54* 135 and when I want to hit my PW 135-140, I usually end up hitting it about 150.

Around the greens it was awesome, thats where I noticed the biggest difference in the grooves. With my Callys, I always ended up short, because they had too much spin around the greens. The Scratch wedge checked and rolled; it was a smooth roll too, like it came off a putter. It was the same out of the sand also, I hit two Cally i(x) out of a green side bunker (about 15yds to pin) for a comparison. It was on a par 5 with a mound behind the pin and I was trying to play it off the backstop. I hit the Jaws wedge first and landed the ball 4' short of the backstop and the ball just sat right at the bottom of the mound, leaving me with a 10' downhill putt. With the Scratch, I landed the ball in the same spot, it took a hop and rolled about half way up the mound before coming back and finishing about 18" on the bottom side of the cup. The softness of the wedge really is unparalleled by any other wedge.

Be very careful closing a wedge down my friend. I had a 52* Adams wedge that I loved and just wanted a bit more distance out of. I closed it down to 50* and it absolutely ruined the club.

Reducing the loft reduces the bounce and makes that leading edge very sharp. I could never adjust to it and I'll never do that to a wedge again. I'd hate to see you have the same experience with a pretty new Scratch wedge!

Be very careful closing a wedge down my friend. I had a 52* Adams wedge that I loved and just wanted a bit more distance out of. I closed it down to 50* and it absolutely ruined the club.

Reducing the loft reduces the bounce and makes that leading edge very sharp. I could never adjust to it and I'll never do that to a wedge again. I'd hate to see you have the same experience with a pretty new Scratch wedge!

I used to have a 53* Cleveland that was bent to 51*. It was my favorite club until I snapped the head off when my ball rolled up against the lip of a fairway bunker. That being said, I think I'm going to go with a 52*, for the reason you mentioned above. Plus I'll have a 6* gap between wedges (46,52,58).

• 2 weeks later...

I know I talked about this earlier, but here it is again. I had a long range session today, with about 2 hours spent on and around the putting green. I've always been a good chipper, I've never made a lot of chips, but I'm always within a 5' radius from within 10yds of the green. This wedge has dramatically improved my chips. Without exaggerating, I made at least half of my 100 chip shots. All other wedges I have ever used, take one hop (who knows in which direction) and stop when chipping, this wedge has about 8' of role from 10-15yds off the green. The hop that the ball takes is dead straight and the roll is literally like it came off a putter. I love this wedge more every time I touch it. I can't wait to get out and play again.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived