JudgeSmails

Internal Out of Bounds? at the Open

I've never been a fan of internal OB. I think it shows flaws in the design of the hole if guys are playing away from where the hole was intended.

You see it occasionally at opens, but I remember guys on the road hole playing it almost like a par 4.5 and playing down the adjacent fairway

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

They need to employ this at all the courses near me.... haha. People cutting corners on accident makes it like dodgeball out there.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with it. Safety concern and it's a line that (as I understand it) was not the intent of the course. It was something guys hitting it 350 yds figured out.

• Like 1

Makes sense, there is a hole on one of my regular courses here, The Pa5 5 17th, where you would pretty much take that exact line aiming down the 2nd fairway (another par 5) and if you hit it decently, you have a clear look into the green from about 190 yards.  Interesting thought, there are two fairway bunkers on the 2nd hole that you need to clear or avoid, it's almost like they become a hazard for the 17th hole as well.    

I should add, you can see pretty much the entire 2nd fairway, so you can see if anyone is in the fairway before you hit. But it's too risk reward for me, you have to carry it about 200 yards and keep it pretty straight as there is tall heather to the left if you miss. 

• Like 1

I was a member of a course where the 9th and 18th holes were beside each other and shared a rather large green.   Normally, there were no OB stakes between the holes.   The club hosted the then Futures Tour.   The Tour placed OB markers between the holes.   However, as others have noted, I have played courses where OB makers could be or rather should be a safety feature.

• Like 1

Nothing worse than being mid swing and hearing "FORE"... just thinking about that makes me nervous.

I have seen it here as a local rule during tournaments.  My course has large mounding between some of the fairways and they make for a lot of very uneven lies if you get off the fairway.  But if you hit an errant shot you can be in the next fairway.  You can't see anyone so no one yells Fore!  I've hit a few of those, and on back-to-back par 5's it's much better to play down the wrong fairway for your 2nd shot rather than risk the trees getting back into the correct fairway. A 3rd shot is open at about 120y.   The problem is I'm swimming upstream!

I thought a few years ago there was another hole that had internal OB...may have been the old course and some tent thing area. Don't remember but that was the only other instance I've heard.

A course I used to belong to had an internal OB for the first file, a huge dogleg left around a lake, people were hitting across the narrow part of the lake into the 18th fairway, it was a 220 carry but it left you with a 8 iron or less into the green on the par 5 1st hole.

Now anything left of the lake is OOB.

Screenshot_20170722-163102.png

A local course around here has an internal OB. In the picture, 1 and 18 are in the center, 1 heading top to bottom, 18 being the "S" shaped hole which is pretty much a forced three shot par 5. Tuesday, when I was pulling everything, I ended up on the 1st fairway near the cluster of trees (played a fade and pull-hooked it). I had a decent view of the green and was within hybrid range. I would have had to hit over the heads of people on the first tee, though, and my partner noticed the stakes between the two holes.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We've got them at a few courses here. Mainly to protect houses from guys cutting corners lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Takes a bit of creativity out of it, don't you think? If there is a flaw in the design, one should be allowed to exploit it. If, however, you are playing a casual round at your local muni (or whatever) you should never put anyone's safety at risk. And if you do miss, for God's sake try to warn people!

IMG_4428.PNG

Here's the arrangement for one of my local courses. I've ended up in the bail out fairway on this par 5 many times. Aside from the embarrassment of making the fellows on the tee wait while I shot, it gives an excellent angle into the green to get on in 2 if you can pop a 6i over the trees.

Thank God this one isn't internal OB cuz it would wreck me.