TESTERS WANTED! ×

Internal Out of Bounds? at the Open

This is a new one to me, never heard of it.......takes some of the creativity away IMO, but I see their point

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/ra-put-stop-players-taking-short-cut-no-9/?cid=facebook-gc-a-ra-put-stop-players-taking-short-cut-no-9-071817

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I've never been a fan of internal OB. I think it shows flaws in the design of the hole if guys are playing away from where the hole was intended.

You see it occasionally at opens, but I remember guys on the road hole playing it almost like a par 4.5 and playing down the adjacent fairway

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't have a problem with it. Safety concern and it's a line that (as I understand it) was not the intent of the course. It was something guys hitting it 350 yds figured out.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Makes sense, there is a hole on one of my regular courses here, The Pa5 5 17th, where you would pretty much take that exact line aiming down the 2nd fairway (another par 5) and if you hit it decently, you have a clear look into the green from about 190 yards.  Interesting thought, there are two fairway bunkers on the 2nd hole that you need to clear or avoid, it's almost like they become a hazard for the 17th hole as well.    

I should add, you can see pretty much the entire 2nd fairway, so you can see if anyone is in the fairway before you hit. But it's too risk reward for me, you have to carry it about 200 yards and keep it pretty straight as there is tall heather to the left if you miss. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I was a member of a course where the 9th and 18th holes were beside each other and shared a rather large green.   Normally, there were no OB stakes between the holes.   The club hosted the then Futures Tour.   The Tour placed OB markers between the holes.   However, as others have noted, I have played courses where OB makers could be or rather should be a safety feature.

I have seen it here as a local rule during tournaments.  My course has large mounding between some of the fairways and they make for a lot of very uneven lies if you get off the fairway.  But if you hit an errant shot you can be in the next fairway.  You can't see anyone so no one yells Fore!  I've hit a few of those, and on back-to-back par 5's it's much better to play down the wrong fairway for your 2nd shot rather than risk the trees getting back into the correct fairway. A 3rd shot is open at about 120y.   The problem is I'm swimming upstream!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I thought a few years ago there was another hole that had internal OB...may have been the old course and some tent thing area. Don't remember but that was the only other instance I've heard.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

A course I used to belong to had an internal OB for the first file, a huge dogleg left around a lake, people were hitting across the narrow part of the lake into the 18th fairway, it was a 220 carry but it left you with a 8 iron or less into the green on the par 5 1st hole.

Now anything left of the lake is OOB.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Screenshot_20170722-163102.png

A local course around here has an internal OB. In the picture, 1 and 18 are in the center, 1 heading top to bottom, 18 being the "S" shaped hole which is pretty much a forced three shot par 5. Tuesday, when I was pulling everything, I ended up on the 1st fairway near the cluster of trees (played a fade and pull-hooked it). I had a decent view of the green and was within hybrid range. I would have had to hit over the heads of people on the first tee, though, and my partner noticed the stakes between the two holes.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

We've got them at a few courses here. Mainly to protect houses from guys cutting corners lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Takes a bit of creativity out of it, don't you think? If there is a flaw in the design, one should be allowed to exploit it. If, however, you are playing a casual round at your local muni (or whatever) you should never put anyone's safety at risk. And if you do miss, for God's sake try to warn people!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

IMG_4428.PNG

Here's the arrangement for one of my local courses. I've ended up in the bail out fairway on this par 5 many times. Aside from the embarrassment of making the fellows on the tee wait while I shot, it gives an excellent angle into the green to get on in 2 if you can pop a 6i over the trees.

Thank God this one isn't internal OB cuz it would wreck me.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Archived