Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Which side of the course do you try to eliminate?

I've been playing around with moving my ball a bit and practicing both fades and draws and my objective is to eliminate one side of the course.  As of now I'm trying to hit a fade as it feels more comfortable to me being right handed.  

Also - I tried playing a draw a few years ago and when I do I sometimes get really hands-y and get caught flipping the club at impact and my draws quickly become hooks...

Now I realize that it's not possible on every hole but if I can eliminate either the left side of the course (by hitting a fade) or the right (by hitting a draw), I can control my "miss" better.

MGS - what side of the course do you try to eliminate (if any) ?  

Do you try to take a left miss out of play?  A right?  

On a dogleg left do you use a baby fade/cut or do you try to hit it straight or a slight draw even if you tend to play a fade?  

Do you always try to start the ball on one side of the fairway and move it to the other?  Do you have a particular technique you use to do it? (i.e. align your body different from the target line/clubpath, change the clubface/target alignment, etc.)

Do you hit a draw off the tee and a fade from the fairway?

Let's hear it!  ... 

PS - you guys that hit it straight... you've been blessed is all I can say.  Enjoy it!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

If you can (and I can't) always eliminate the hook. The fade sits down so much softer that it really widens the target area. If you can play a fade every shot you can play some great golf. Its so valuable to know that your ball will move a certain way in the air and allows you to take what look like very scary lines to someone who isn't sure what's going to happen. When faced with a dogleg left just go to 3 wood and try to hit it straight or fade it there too if you want. Fade, fade, fade (said by a sometime former hooker)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

My smart ass answer is the hazard side. But if it is safe for both sides, I'd eliminate right side since I have natural fade. I'd rather over draw than fade, because sometime my fade can be out of control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really one particular side for me, because I can hit a fade if push comes to shove. Personally I try to set myself up so that I'll have the most green to work with for my approach shot (right pin placement, I'll try to be centre-left in the fairway)

Lately with how windy it has been, I've tried to work the ball into the wind and it goes relatively straight. I try not to work it too much, because overcooking it can make things ugly quick. Probably aim 1/3 of the way into the fairway from the rough and just let the ball come back to the other side of the fairway.

I agree with that last part about straight hitters! My straightest shot is a 5 yard draw

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Most of the time I pretty much don't have a frigging clue where the ball is going. With that said I'd bet my left nut that I'd be on the left side more than not. I guess that means I'm eliminating the right side as a rule.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Most of the time I pretty much don't have a frigging clue where the ball is going. With that said I'd bet my left nut that I'd be on the left side more than not. I guess that means I'm eliminating the right side as a rule.

If you lose that bet, you might become heavier on the right side of your body, and start hitting towards that side! Watch out!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I try to take the middle out. That way when I end up there it's a bonus.

Depends on the hole really, sometimes being right is really bad. And sometimes being left is really bad. For example, the first hole anything left is blind going into the green with obstacles, right is safe. Next hole left sucks again. 4th left is good. 5th both suck, 6 left is no good, 7th right is really really bad....

I try to play to the most playable spot, and I've been getting better at it.

My natural shot is a fade and I can play that without thinking...just line up at the far left edge of the fairway and let the ball turnover at its Apex...it should end up in the left center part of the fairway.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Myself, I try to eliminate the left side and stay in the center or more on the right. With my fade this usually helps me.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

It depends on the hole but with my driver,  I tend to hit a fade so I try to hit it left.   Unfortunately, I have been hitting a lot of blocks and push fades recently so I end up on the right side. anyway.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I try to eliminate the left since most of the water is on the left and most of the fairways slope left as well. The problem is I'm a lefty and that means I have to continually work on eliminating my slice.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I try (key word TRY) to eliminate short, left, and right. Long and straight, baby!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I hit fades off the tee box and then depending on the green and pin placement I will hit both draw or fade with the iron..

Dogleg left does hurt me sometimes because I'll try to draw it, but turns into a slight push

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

I try to play the left side of the course. It seems like most courses I play are set up to punish the slice. I have a fade in my natural shot so I always try and start my ball down the left.

Lol, it's dangerous doing that when it cold and I haven't warmed up though as I seem the duck hook my first tee ball. I actually did this in a Charity tournament in college and one of my random partners sneer at me for having a vanity handicap 🤣

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I mostly try to eliminate the "short side" via consistently plotting my preferred progress from the hole location backward. But I'm most comfortable playing to the left half of the fairway. My natural tee ball draws ~10 yds and the fade works ~5 yds right. So unless the hole location dictates a drastic tee ball line, it's either a fade off the first cut on the left or the stock draw off the center fairway mow line.

As a fairly proficient right handed golfer, I'm statistically more likely to notch GIRs from the left rough than with a lie of similar quality on the right, because getting the ball to fade out of healthy rough is almost impossible for mere mortals. Which means my natural shot tendency (slight pull draw) from a lie in the left rough opens up a typical green complex and that same tendency from the right rough decreases the high percentage workable angles. Gnarly lies almost guarantee less carry and more roll; so from the left it's hopefully rolling up an opening in front while the shot from right is probably working across that same opening making it a narrower target.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Left!!! Holding cuts off the left when possible. It isn't an absolute but when I'm hitting left my swing is rubbish. Blocks and slices are an easy fix.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Apparently the way I've been driving the ball lately, I'm try to eliminate the fairway. FML I'm struggling like there is no tomorrow! Was the best club in my bag but 2 years ago it was as if I got driver amnesia and can't remember how to hit the ball.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

All things being equal I'd normally prefer to be on the left side than the right because I draw the ball. I'm not trying to eliminate the right side, I'm trying to hit it on the left side. But that's pretty general. Every hole is a little different. I try to fit one of my shots into the hole that lies ahead.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I try to eliminate OB. I'm OK with missing the opposite direction and chopping through trees just to keep from blowing the score. A bogey sucks but a triple sucks more.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so now that I have been working hard on my game I am really trying to eliminate the right side of the course as my miss. I have found over the course of time if I miss left it is no where near as bad as my miss to the right. Also could just be the courses I play but OB always seems to be on the right.

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

I would bet the farm 95 percent of my shots end up on the left side of a hole. Not always the desired location but it's where I'll be ...

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 1 month later...

I don't like playing from the left side on most holes at my home course. I tend to play a slight draw to straight ball most of the time. Also on my home course and where water is present it's usually found along the left side. My home course is old school, narrow fairways, small greens, compact/tight - rather short (6560y - tips) and tree lined. Par 70. There is OB either right or left on 7 holes with water hazards in play on 11 holes. I know of a lot of people that poo-poo the course because of it's short length as compared to more modern - longer courses. However, I also see that very few of these guys can rarely break eighty on it. They just don't know or understand how to play it. Not every par 4 or 5 hole allows for a driver but they just can't help themselves. I call my course the home of the original Crying Game. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

With my current game, seems like I'm avoiding the short, manicured grass closest to my hole

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I don't try to eliminate any side, really. I guess I'm not good enough. I play each hole and try to give myself the best chance to par it based on the layout. I've never been one to have this thought of eliminating a side anyway.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Archived