TESTERS WANTED! ×

Getting new irons this Saturday

Zylem

Great review and very entertaining read! Sounds like you are set for the remainder of the year and get ya self a PB.

I hope to soon, but first these courses have to dry out some. It's been storming every other day here in Florida.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nice review. Thank you for your thoughts. It's a long ways off for you but there is another category of player out there. Older guy, still has game, trying to hang on to some distance to keep the handicap low. Despite the obvious differences in our games your comments are very helpful.

Where are you in Central Florida again?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What a great write up. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Excited for you and your new sticks.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Really nice review. Thank you for your thoughts. It's a long ways off for you but there is another category of player out there. Older guy, still has game, trying to hang on to some distance to keep the handicap low. Despite the obvious differences in our games your comments are very helpful.

Where are you in Central Florida again?

Lakeland.

And you are right, there's a bunch of different categories of golfers. There's also the soon to be middle age guy that doesn't have enough time to practice and play so he is just hoping to play enough to hold on to what he's got

This makes me that much more pumped to get my 900 Forged tomorrow! Thanks for the entertaining write up.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Since you got the 900 forged,why the regular steelhead Xr and not the pro version? They have a more similar footprint don't they?

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Great write up, I throughly enjoyed reading it, congrats on the new sticks!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Lakeland.

And you are right, there's a bunch of different categories of golfers. There's also the soon to be middle age guy that doesn't have enough time to practice and play so he is just hoping to play enough to hold on to what he's got

That's what I thought. When Foz gets back from his trip we will have to arrange a MGS outing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Since you got the 900 forged,why the regular steelhead Xr and not the pro version? They have a more similar footprint don't they?

I believe you are correct. I put the standard Steelhead irons on my like since a friend I regularly play with bought these and started blasting shots by me. The fitter recommended I demo the pro version too after seeing my swing. Honestly, we must of forgotten about them.

How long until your new clubs are ready to go into the bag?

Two weeks is the expected delivery date. They said since it's a popular shaft and outside of the holiday season it could be sooner.

Now I am hoping all this rain works it's way out in those two weeks so I can get some time on the range with them. I have a feeling my distances are going to be completely different.

Two weeks is the expected delivery date. They said since it's a popular shaft and outside of the holiday season it could be sooner.

Now I am hoping all this rain works it's way out in those two weeks so I can get some time on the range with them. I have a feeling my distances are going to be completely different.

Nice - shipping right to you from Mizuno?

Yup. I told my wife if they come earlier it really will be Christmas in July.

Yes, it really will be Christmas in July! Congrats again on the purchase.

Nice. FYI they will ship FedEx ground. You can get a notification and tracking for when they are ship by signing up for a FedEx account

LOL! You can seriously ask any of us about the Mizuno process, we're all too familiar with it by now. We have like 9 pages worth of PMs between us, CG2, and severtheties. We have been like little children in the backseat of a long car trip for the past 2 weeks.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Yes, it really will be Christmas in July! Congrats again on the purchase.

LOL! You can seriously ask any of us about the Mizuno process, we're all too familiar with it by now. We have like 9 pages worth of PMs between us, CG2, and severtheties. We have been like little children in the backseat of a long car trip for the past 2 weeks.

I can't wait to see all the stage 1 reviews. Those irons really are sweet looking.

Most of the irons I hit I like the looks of. The G400s were the only ones I saw that made me wonder if I could get used to them. And the Srixon Z565s where stunning.

I still am thinking about what to do with my wedges. Forged set is PW 44 and GW 48. I won't take the 56 out so I guess I need a 52. Do people play two gap wedges?

Congratulations, let us know how they are after a round or 2.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I can't wait to see all the stage 1 reviews. Those irons really are sweet looking.

Most of the irons I hit I like the looks of. The G400s were the only ones I saw that made me wonder if I could get used to them. And the Srixon Z565s where stunning.

I still am thinking about what to do with my wedges. Forged set is PW 44 and GW 48. I won't take the 56 out so I guess I need a 52. Do people play two gap wedges?

I do. I have a 50 degree V6 gap wedge that is my 140 club and a 52 degree PMP wedge that goes 130 because of the spin and mass. I just added the 52 this year because I've had that 130 yard gap the last few years.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Great write up, sounds like what I did two weeks ago with a similar out come. Except I went down the GI line of clubs and came out with the JPX900 hot metals. I did hit clubs from Taylormade, Ping, Callaway and Titleist as well but the Mizunos gave me the best numbers and feel. It also helped that I love the look of the whole JPX 900 line of irons.

Oh and I ended up with XP95 R300 shafts.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Great write up, sounds like what I did two weeks ago with a similar out come. Except I went down the GI line of clubs and came out with the JPX900 hot metals. I did hit clubs from Taylormade, Ping, Callaway and Titleist as well but the Mizunos gave me the best numbers and feel. It also helped that I love the look of the whole JPX 900 line of irons.

Darn I didn't swing and Taylormade irons. Honestly they were never on my radar. I don't know how why I forgot about them, I love my M2 driver and M1 hybrids. But I am done with club purchasing for awhile. Time to put my money back into playing

I would figure out what type of yardage gap you are getting between the 44 and 48.  If it's only 10 yards, you could bend the 48 to 49 and then go GW, 54, 59 or so.

Without bending I would probably just go 48/54/60

I would figure out what type of yardage gap you are getting between the 44 and 48. If it's only 10 yards, you could bend the 48 to 49 and then go GW, 54, 59 or so.

Without bending I would probably just go 48/54/60

Good call, I'll wait till I can play a round or two, then take them to a buddy who has a lie and loft machine and see what degrees they are at. I have heard Mizunos are pretty true to what the put on the website but I have heard crazy stories of people getting their iron and they are 2-3 degrees off.

U think that's a great choice.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I have 48,52

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

U think that's a great choice.

I'm trying out Mizuno's, Titleist, Srixon, TM, Cobra and maybe a few others this morning.

Found a Golf Shop that has a pretty good selection of LH fitting components.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm trying out Mizuno's, Titleist, Srixon, TM, Cobra and maybe a few others this morning.

Found a Golf Shop that has a pretty good selection of LH fitting components.

Awesome, hope you have fun.

I played for the first time with my new irons and did not play well. Not the new irons fault just my own. I was trying to play my new distances (these new iron are one club stronger) so mentally it feels off trying to hit an 8 irons as far as I once hit a 7. So I was swinging too hard and my tempo was off.

I'll play again on Sunday and hopefully have some better news.

Well I did it ! Not sure how but ended up with new irons, Ping G400.

All the clubs that I likeed the looks AP1, Mizuno Hot Metal, TM, Ping i200 I had a different problem with each. Height or distance or lack angle etc.

The G400 gave me a bit more distance and better trajectory.

Of course I also picked up a Ping G driver. The driver worked out pretty good as they had an assortment of shafts to try while I was still in the bay with all the electronic stuff!!

It's only money

Some of the other irons I wanted to try weren't available now or yet in Left Hand.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Awesome, hope you have fun.

I played for the first time with my new irons and did not play well. Not the new irons fault just my own. I was trying to play my new distances (these new iron are one club stronger) so mentally it feels off trying to hit an 8 irons as far as I once hit a 7. So I was swinging too hard and my tempo was off.

I'll play again on Sunday and hopefully have some better news.

There's always that "break in" time frame. It'll work out.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived