Getting new irons this Saturday

Zylem

I think you're going in with the right approach, no brand loyalty and open mind. With that approach, I'm sure you'll end up with a favorite that you hit well and like the looks of.

:titelist-small: TSR2 10.0 HZRDUS Red CB 6.0 

:titelist-small: TSiR2 10.0  Tensei Blue X ink 55g 

:titelist-small: TSR2 16.5 PX Evenflow 5.5 60 g 

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T200 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Looking for something a little more forgiving than the current AP2s. I am not scared of player irons. Ball striking has always been the best part of my game. That being said I am interested in what GI irons have to offer. Most of the courses I play don't require much shot shaping so I don't mind giving some playability if I can save a shot or two from off center hits.

I have never hit cast irons so I honestly do not know how I would like the feel. I tried to include a set of them in my list to see if I like the feel.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If you are looking for something a bit more forgiving then the AP2s, then the Srixon 565 (or 545s if you go with the previous version) is going to be hard to beat when it comes to looks, feel and performance.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

I think you're going in with the right approach, no brand loyalty and open mind. With that approach, I'm sure you'll end up with a favorite that you hit well and like the looks of.

Thanks, there's a lot of stuff out there though.

• Like 1

Trying out and buying new irons is always fun. Have a good fitting and keep as all posted on what you end up with and why you picked them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Be sure to post what you get! I'm also a sufferer of gas

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I play the Callaway APEX CF16 Forged and I love them. Easy to shape, long, and forgiving.

Those new Srixons are sexy too!

• Like 1

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

Where are you going for the fitting?

Is it indoors or outdoors?

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I am going to the PGA superstore. I really like the guy that fitted me for my driver and he is working tomorrow. It's an indoor fitting and I understand the pros and cons but being in Florida I wanted to be out of the heat because I maybe there for a few hours.

• Like 3

I am going to the PGA superstore. I really like the guy that fitted me for my driver and he is working tomorrow. It's an indoor fitting and I understand the pros and cons but being in Florida I wanted to be out of the heat because I maybe there for a few hours.

FWIW ... Club Champion (one of the more highly rated club fitters) do their fittings indoors.  I asked the guy why and he said they don't want any wind or other factors (sweaty grips from FL humidity(!)) to play a factor in the fitting.  Made sense to me and they guarantee things so that if anything is wrong when you take it outdoors they will fix it.

Good luck and have fun.  I loved being fit for my irons this year.  So much fun to hit different clubs and see the results...and feels so so good when you get dialed in with a set!

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

FWIW ... Club Champion (one of the more highly rated club fitters) do their fittings indoors. I asked the guy why and he said they don't want any wind or other factors (sweaty grips from FL humidity(!)) to play a factor in the fitting. Made sense to me and they guarantee things so that if anything is wrong when you take it outdoors they will fix it.

Good luck and have fun. I loved being fit for my irons this year. So much fun to hit different clubs and see the results...and feels so so good when you get dialed in with a set!

Thanks, I am getting really excited. I am trying not to research anymore clubs so I can be as unbiased as possible. I just didn't want to be overwhelmed when they ask what clubs I want to try. At the same time I wanted to feel like I tried everything lol.

• Like 2

pretty good article on golfwrx this morning talking about irons... puts a lot of things in perspective and what is MOST important...

http://www.golfwrx.com/460144/why-your-clubs-are-most-likely-completely-wrong-for-you/

Awesome article. This is the kind of attitude I hope to have going in there tomorrow. I am a little bias toward a skinnier top line because that's all I've played. But these manufacturers are not paying me anything so I want to be as open as I can. If SGI irons fit best than that's what's going in the bag. I take pride in my score, I could care less what I used to get there.

Me hopes are that I can limit my choices down to three sets or so than try and see which of those threes best fit me. Now you throw in different shafts and lengths and lies and you began to see that I may be there awhile. Which is why I cancelled my game today. I want to go in as fresh as possible, get warmed up and get down to business.

• Like 3

I know it late to the list, but have you thought about a possible combo set, especially with the 745, 545. You some forgiveness with the 745 in the long irons, but you get the feel of a players iron in the 545 for the scoring clubs, and they both look amazing.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Awesome article. This is the kind of attitude I hope to have going in there tomorrow. I am a little bias toward a skinnier top line because that's all I've played. But these manufacturers are not paying me anything so I want to be as open as I can. If SGI irons fit best than that's what's going in the bag. I take pride in my score, I could care less what I used to get there.

Me hopes are that I can limit my choices down to three sets or so than try and see which of those threes best fit me. Now you throw in different shafts and lengths and lies and you began to see that I may be there awhile. Which is why I cancelled my game today. I want to go in as fresh as possible, get warmed up and get down to business.

Very good article. The idea of the Z combo set sounds like a good one.

I gotta give it to you on your approach to your next set. From eye appeal on many of us dont make the best decision for ourselves. No doubt we could do better and reap the benefits.

Well done!

• Like 1

I'm anxious to hear about your experience. I'm getting a wandering eye and have a closet full of stuff to trade in. It's time. :)

• Like 3

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

We are taking a break from lunch. Just wanted to give everyone an update.

We started with all the body measurements to get an idea for what length and lie to start with. It was a little reassuring that I am still fitting to standard length and 2 degrees upright.

While I was being measured we went over what I was wanting out of my irons. I told him I want a tighter shot pattern. Basically I want to hit more greens. If I get a little more distance that awesome too.

Next I warmed up with my 8 iron. (Since my 7 is broke I had brought my 6 and 8) after that the fun began.

I hit five shots with the following clubs.

Callaway Steelhead

Srixon 765

Ping i200

Mizuno JPX forged

Srixon 565

Mizuno JPX tour

Mizuno hot metal

Ping G400

Cobra F7

So i swung a bunch of clubs here and my first impression is wow irons have gotten so much easier to hit. This has been truly an eye opening experience and not just for the advancement in golf tech but it is showing a lot about my game.

The fitter brought up all my numbers and we have narrowed it down to four irons

Mizuno JPX forged

Callaway Steelhead

Srixon z765

Srixon z565

After lunch we are going to start hitting those with different shafts so I hope to have another quick update for you all and tonight I'll have more details why these irons made the short list over the others. Plus the final set that's going in my bag.

• Like 5