Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Early Extension Issues, Drill to Help?

Hey all,

So something I've struggled with a long time is early extension in the downswing. I've lowered myself to a single digit handicap but I know to get those last numbers down my consistency needs to go up. And that starts with finally, once and for all, getting rid of early extension.

So any recommendations/drills to keep those hips back and turn and get rid of early extension??

Thanks,

Dave

David Challoner

Driver: Callaway EPIC, 8.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue 75 Max, X-Flex

Woods: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+, 16*, Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex

Iron Specs: Srixon U65 2i, Srixon 765 3i-6i, Srixon 965 7i-PW, Project X 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Dexterity: Right-Handed

HCP: 6.9

"Slow, Smooth, and Finish"

By early extension I assume you mean the old humping the barrel thing? Im sure there's tons of drills out there to stay in your posture but the easiest is setting your bag or alignment stick up against your backside and still feeling it there through transition. The other feeling (not really a drill) I like for this is to really feel yourself pressuring the ground through your lead foot as you start down. No way to hump forward if you're pressing down

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

By early extension I assume you mean the old humping the barrel thing? Im sure there's tons of drills out there to stay in your posture but the easiest is setting your bag or alignment stick up against your backside and still feeling it there through transition. The other feeling (not really a drill) I like for this is to really feel yourself pressuring the ground through your lead foot as you start down. No way to hump forward if you're pressing down

Two very good tips. My club has a "bump" board. It's a name some of the pro's students have given it. It is simply a few 2x4s glued together then a few more at the bottom creating an upside down T. Like gaussman recommended with the alignment stick. You are supposed to keep you backside against the 2x4s through your transition.

I have a similar issue where my hips like to slide forward at the top of my backswing rather than turning. This board set up has helped that a lot too

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Owe you some thanks, GMan--I've been struggling with this the last two/three weeks and have been unable to really fix it.  I know the backside drill but it wasn't getting me totally out of the funk.  But your thought of pressuring the ground with the lead foot seems to be the ticket.  Had a range session today and I was able to keep the spine angle much better with this thought.  I've heard that one before, but as with all of the tips out there, it takes getting reminded of them occasionally.  Playing tomorrow, so I'll see if it's more than a one day fix!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Two very good tips. My club has a "bump" board. It's a name some of the pro's students have given it. It is simply a few 2x4s glued together then a few more at the bottom creating an upside down T. Like gaussman recommended with the alignment stick. You are supposed to keep you backside against the 2x4s through your transition.

I have a similar issue where my hips like to slide forward at the top of my backswing rather than turning. This board set up has helped that a lot too

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Any pics of the 'bump board'

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Good luck Jax. I bet you will get iron shots jumping off the face

Well, worked with the driver, not so much the irons.  9th and 10th holes were the problem in spades.  On 9, hit a good drive right down the middle.  9 iron into green from 140.  Hit it real solid, pin high--but 30 yds left.  Next hole, real long drive, right side of fairway.  Gap wedge from 115, ALSO 30 yds left!  Same on next hole, par 3, well struck 8 iron 20 yds left.  I did manage not to do that rest of round.  My living room swing analysis today is that I was taking the club away too far back to the inside with the irons (a recurring fault of mine), causing me to whip the club around to the left regardless of how much I tried to keep the right hip stable.  Living room swing finally feels right with a more straight back takeaway and the tips mentioned above.  Will report again after tomorrow!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, that pressing down on the lead left foot has really helped a ton. I was definitely humping the barrel. Its slowly changing and keeping that left hips back and high. Thanks again!!

David Challoner

Driver: Callaway EPIC, 8.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue 75 Max, X-Flex

Woods: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+, 16*, Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex

Iron Specs: Srixon U65 2i, Srixon 765 3i-6i, Srixon 965 7i-PW, Project X 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Dexterity: Right-Handed

HCP: 6.9

"Slow, Smooth, and Finish"

Thank you everyone for reminding me exactly why my shot has been sucking after a few weeks off recovering,  Now I'll have a few renewed swing thoughts today at the range. 

:callaway-small:Driver - FT-iQ 10* /  :taylormade-small: Woods - Burner 2.0 3 and 5 

:taylormade-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 /  :cobra-small: Irons - King F7 ONE 5 - PW

:cleveland-small:  Wedges - 56* 60*

:odyssey-small:  White Hot Pro 2.0 #1 - I kind of hate this thing! <_<

All stuffed in an OGIO bag and a ClicGear 3.5. 

• 5 years later...

Thought I would revive this old thread after my latest lesson.  I've gotten my handicap down in the 3.5-6 range the last few years, but am wildly inconsistent from day to day.  The main issue seems to stem from early extension (hips towards the ball before impact) and swaying forward.  It forces me to overly rely on precise timing to get consistent results, and if things are off by just a little bit I start missing greens on most approach shots.  

The instructor was great at pointing out my faults, but not so great in giving me drills to help correct the problem.  Has anyone else been through early extension and/or swaying and found good drills to help them out?

Are there any success stories out there about members completely overcoming EE and swaying?

I don't have the video of my swing back from the instructor yet but here are some images to display what I'm referring to.

Early Extension:

early-extension.jpg.2dfa9c88ff6d770c52f36889098b1549.jpg

Swaying/Sliding:

sway.png.476235d5a41cecb0f573a656ad558da7.png

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

14 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Thought I would revive this old thread after my latest lesson.  I've gotten my handicap down in the 3.5-6 range the last few years, but am wildly inconsistent from day to day.  The main issue seems to stem from early extension (hips towards the ball before impact) and swaying forward.  It forces me to overly rely on precise timing to get consistent results, and if things are off by just a little bit I start missing greens on most approach shots.  

The instructor was great at pointing out my faults, but not so great in giving me drills to help correct the problem.  Has anyone else been through early extension and/or swaying and found good drills to help them out?

Are there any success stories out there about members completely overcoming EE and swaying?

I don't have the video of my swing back from the instructor yet but here are some images to display what I'm referring to.

Early Extension:

early-extension.jpg.2dfa9c88ff6d770c52f36889098b1549.jpg

Swaying/Sliding:

sway.png.476235d5a41cecb0f573a656ad558da7.png

You have to improve your pressure shifting and hip movements.  It the club also has to be on the right place.

Swaying is cause fun moving mass rather than shifting pressure. 

Early extension isn’t a fault it’s a compensation and something you have to do. If you didn’t early extend you wouldn’t make contact with the ball or your inconsistency would be even worse

Post a swing and let’s see what’s happening.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1