Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mid Season Report Card

Shankster

I've been keeping track of my play a lot this year. Just wanted to throw up my mid season self graded score card by category. Here goes.

Driver - 0/10 (haha)

3 Wood off Tee - 6/10

3 Wood off the Deck - 2/10

Hybrid - 4/10

Iron Play - 8/10

Wedges - 7/10

Putter - 1.5/10

I've seen a decline in my wedge play, not sure what the deal is, but early on I would have given myself a 9/10. Obviously I am on the search for a driver.

My long and on the green game needs major work, I can't seem to make a put or find the fairway off the tee to save my life. Get an iron in my hand and tell me where to put the ball and I will.

I will come up with some sort of practice/drills to work on my weak points.

Feel free to laugh, or put your report card up.

Total: 28.5/70 41%...

- Alan

I love this idea, going to try and grade myself below. I will try and keep the numbers as honest as I can

Driver - 6/10 (I would rate it a little higher but I have been crushing my 3 wood off the tee so I'm not using driver that much right now. Most misses are ok and just off the fairway. Tighter courses I tend to not even carry my driver and just take a 5 wood or 2 hybrid)

3 Wood off Tee - 8/10 (The past month I have been on point with this shot. I took two points off because every now and then I try to swing a little harder to get that extra yard out and end up on my back foot with a huge slice. I just need to trust the club.)

3 Wood off the Deck - 4/10 (I don't really get the opportunity to use 3 wood off the deck and when I do it seems to be 50/50 that it ends up where I want it to be)

Hybrid - 7/10 (I love hitting my new M1 hybrids. Most of the time they fly perfect but every now and then a hook will work its way in. It's crazy because these are the only clubs that go left when I miss.)

Iron Play - 6/10 (Could be better. I felt confident on par 3s with my AP2s but I need work on my distance control when I am between clubs.)

Wedges - 5/10 (lower only because the 100 yard approach shot is killing me right now. I feel like no matter what I do it's either going long or short. Neither or which end up on the green. I am going to change up my course management after I get my new irons and focus more on leaving myself at full clubs lengths for approaches. Inside 20 yards or in a bunker I have no issues getting it out and getting it close.)

Putter - 5/10 (When I am hot it's like Speith out there but when I'm cold it's like watching a 3 year old at a putt putt. I believe most of this is all mental and I am not taking the time to read and line up.)

Total: 41/70 58%

Wow if these grades are weighted true, than I know where I should spend more time at on the practice range. The quickest fix would be solving the 100 yard shot dilemma I have. After that I need to work on my driver confidence. If I do both of those and while playing work taking more time over my putts, I'll have a passing grade by winter.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's only July and it's already mid-season ??? when does the season begin/end... HAHA.

Driver - 4/10 (haha)

3 Wood off Tee - 7/10 

3 Wood off the Deck - 5/10

Hybrid - 6/10

Iron Play - 7/10

Wedges - 7/10

Putter - 5/10

Driver has been so-so and one of the weakest parts of my game.  When it is on it works well but I can have a 2 way miss easily.  NOTE: hoping that this will change greatly when I go get fit for the Cobra F7!

3 off the tee - I carry 2 3 woods... a 13.5 that I call my "mini driver" and a 15.5  I don't hit them too often but when I have they've been pretty good.  I should probably use them more.

3 off the deck - I rarely do this because it doesn't really give me that much more than my hybrid (maybe 20-25 yards)... the times I have used it has been 50-50... one bad for every good one.

Hybrid - was fit for this puppy this year and I like it but I get some wayward shots with it.  I think I swing too hard and either leave the face open or pull it hard.  When I swing smoothly it just goes like a bullet and is really consistent and accurate.

Irons - got fit for the single length this year and almost used to them (90% there); took some getting used to but they have been a pleasure to play and my accuracy is much much better.

Wedges - loving the pings and I can play them well; my short game (chipping/pitching) has really improved; almost used to all of the distances with them...my bunker play is subpar so this score gets knocked down.

Putter - the weakest part of my game; Been experimenting all season with different strokes/grips/putters; finally got fit and first time out I really stroked it well. Hoping for much better things to come with the black beauty.

41/70.... %58.57142857142858

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I'll take your driver grade!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm telling the secret is lopping an inch off the shaft and building the weight back with lead tape. That alone has fixed most of my drives while only costing me and average of about 7 yards. My misses end up and the light rough now instead of the trees.

Well Stoker, my course opens on April 15th and closes October 1st. It friggin sucks. I really dislike where I live, can not wait to move south so I can keep the momentum going, by October 1st I'm usually in good form, then no golf for dang near 7 months.

Well Stoker, my course opens on April 15th and closes October 1st. It friggin sucks. I really dislike where I live, can not wait to move south so I can keep the momentum going, by October 1st I'm usually in good form, then no golf for dang near 7 months.

that sucks.  believe it or not a lot of the courses will stay open here until there is snow on the ground...  And I'm just outside of Boston which isn't too much further south than you.

A lot of water here and some super CG stations!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

that sucks. believe it or not a lot of the courses will stay open here until there is snow on the ground... And I'm just outside of Boston which isn't too much further south than you.

A lot of water here and some super CG stations!

There are a few jobs in the UK... get my links on! If not... SoCal, Oregon, Hawaii, anything south of Norfolk, but no Miss, Louis, or Tex.

- Alan

And we get 180+ inches of snow a year. Man, I'm getting depressed just thinking about it.

Look familiar   ... HAHAHA ... just kiddin'

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Whoa! Tough crowd here today. You guys are so hard on yourself especially Mr Shankster.

Ever since I start playing positive golf my game has improved so much. Sure I've hit some bad ones but I choose not to remember them, and certainly try to avoid talking about them.

I often give myself a pat in the back(more like shoulder) I thought I'd dislocated my shoulder, as well as say good shots. I found that the nicer I am to me the better golf I play.

Here's my report card from this year.

IMG_0674.JPG

Driver - Was 7/10 earlier in the year but I have been struggling to hit fairways lately so now I would say 5/10.  Misses aren't horrible,  but still not where I want them to be

3 Wood off Tee - 7/10  I hit my 3 wood off the tee pretty well.

3 Wood off the Deck - 7/10 again,  a club that I like

Hybrid - 7/10 - Before I was selected to test the KBS shaft I would have said 4/10 but now I am hitting the hybrid pretty well.  Are the clubs jealous?  Maybe because I have been doing MGS hybrid testing so I am getting lots of practice with hybriods

Iron Play - 6/10 -  Want to hit more greens,  but I am hitting them well.

Wedges -  4/10 - pitches are good,  but I really struggle when I miss the green.  This drive how well or how poor I play

Putter - 8/10 -  I feel like I am putting pretty well.  Occasional 3 putt but I am starting the ball on line and as long as I make a solid stroke I am rolling the ball well.

Overall 6/10 - Scores are a few strokes higher that I would like.   Big scores are killing me.  if I can play smart,  avoid doubles and worse, and get my short game back in order it would be pushing and 8.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I need to get fit for my bag, top to bottom. Final answer.

I've said it time and time again -- since my fitting I'd say my driving is a 9/10. Only times it's not finding the fairway is when I get too fast and rope one across my body. I'll take that any day of the week over how much I used to fight my fade.

Depending what time the delivery man comes on Monday, I'll be able to see how well the iron fitting went. :D

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Shanks-

I can only give a shout out for the 815/816 Callaway if you need some new woods.

Totally solid and reliable sticks.

They make my mid season grade a 90/100.

I can't really complain about anything in my game right now- although I have no offseason here in SoCal

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Whoa! Tough crowd here today. You guys are so hard on yourself especially Mr Shankster.

Ever since I start playing positive golf my game has improved so much. Sure I've hit some bad ones but I choose not to remember them, and certainly try to avoid talking about them.

I often give myself a pat in the back(more like shoulder) I thought I'd dislocated my shoulder, as well as say good shots. I found that the nicer I am to me the better golf I play.

Wow that's some serious data. I never have time to track all those stats on the course.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

This is my first year trying Arccos, it's the first gen one. Good or bad my grades are always right in front of me. IMG_0565.PNG

*those numbers are a handicap number for each part of the game, so lower is better.

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

I'm telling the secret is lopping an inch off the shaft and building the weight back with lead tape. That alone has fixed most of my drives while only costing me and average of about 7 yards. My misses end up and the light rough now instead of the trees.

Exactly, the length of a driver needing to be 45" or more is ridiculous. If the swingweight is matched, a driver at 42.5" to 44" is just as effective and length doesn't suffer. I keep my gamer at 43.5" and still have plenty of length.

Sent from my LGLS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I agree Rusty - a part of playing good golf is having a realistic understanding of your game based on fact and not perception. If you keep stats you will often find that a perceived weakness isn't so much or that a strength isn't as strong as you thought.

Thanks for the corrective.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Exactly, the length of a driver needing to be 45" or more is ridiculous. If the swingweight is matched, a driver at 42.5" to 44" is just as effective and length doesn't suffer. I keep my gamer at 43.5" and still have plenty of length.

I shaved 1.5 inches off my driver and only added about 1 swing weights worth of weight back to the club head. I gained distance. Because everything just looks and feels better to me I can swing confidently and hit the sweet spot with ease.

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

I shaved 1.5 inches off my driver and only added about 1 swing weights worth of weight back to the club head. I gained distance. Because everything just looks and feels better to me I can swing confidently and hit the sweet spot with ease.

Yea and I can get around quicker with a shorter length on my woods. My misses have come a lot closer to center and I make quality contact so much more consistently. The golf manufacturers have so many things backwards and driver length is one of them.

Good man with the FYI.

Sent a guy for some lead tape last week and it sorted him out too.

Archived